more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff 19.05.15

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 18, 2015, 07:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

England U17s Bow Out

Substitute Tayo Edun saw red as England Under-17s were knocked out of the European Championship following a 1-0 defeat by Russia on Saturday.

The Young Lions squandered an excellent opportunity to take the lead 25 minutes into the Quarter Final tie when Arsenal striker Stephy Mavididi was tripped in the box, but Everton's Nathan Holland saw his spot-kick saved by Aleksandr Maksimenko before Mavididi smashed the follow-up against the post.

But just minutes later the Russians broke the deadlock. Aleksei Tataev got his head on a cross at the far post and although Holland looked to have cleared it off the line, the goal was given by the linesman.

England started the second half strongly and went close to an equaliser when Holland hit the bar. Edun then entered the action on the hour mark as a replacement for the Toffees midfielder.

Fellow substitute Easah Suliman of Aston Villa then saw his shot saved by Maksimenko following a corner, with the rebound cleared off the line.

Russia could have doubled their lead with seven minutes remaining when Edun was adjudged to have pulled back Yegor Denisov in the box. The Fulham man was booked for the foul but Newcastle United goalkeeper Paul Woolston made a fine stop to keep out Boris Tsygankov's penalty.

But England were unable to capitalise and so exited the competition, with Edun given his marching orders in stoppage time after being shown his second yellow card.

They will now face fellow losing Quarter-Finalists Spain on Tuesday for a place in the World Cup in Chile later this year.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/18/england-u17s-bow-out

Friendsoffulham

Fulham boss in two minds over new deal for midfielder

Tim Hoogland is at the crossroads of his Fulham career.

Kit Symons has to decide whether to offer the German defender and holding midfielder a new one-year contract or let him go over the next month.

The 29-year-old lost his pony tail soon after joining Whites last summer, and then a chance to cement a first-team spot when he required a hernia operation injury in December.

VIEW GALLERY

However, unlike the majority of sacked boss Felix Magath's summer signings, Hoogland fought back to regain his place and leave Symons with plenty to ponder.

He said: "Tim's shown his versatility by playing in a few different positions. He's had good bits, average bits, and poor bits - a bit like us last season.

"Physically, he's decent which is important for the Championship, so of late he did well bearing in mind he was out a long while with an injury, frustrating for him and us."

Good return: Hoogland

Hoogland was caught like a rabbit in headlights when he and Fernando Amorebieta were both recalled for the home rout by Bournemouth in March.

Fulham lost the televised game 5-1, but although Amorebieta was then loaned to Middlesbrough, his team-mate reacted with a string of decent showings that included a fine 4-3 win over Boro (see gallery) at the end of the season.

Symons added: "Tim came back for a baptism of fire against Bournemouth, but settled down and did well."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-two-minds-over-9278823

Friendsoffulham

Symons weighing up midfielder deal

Manager Kit Symons says he has yet to come to a decision on whether he will offer Tim Hoogland a new contract at Fulham. Symons weighing up midfielder deal The 29-year-old was one of many drafted in to Craven Cottage by former boss Felix Magath last summer and, like so many others from the German's time in charge, looked destined to leave come the end of his one year contract. However, after undergoing hernia surgery in December, the German was given his chance under Symons and produced a string of good performances to finish the season. The Fulham boss must now decide whether to let the versatile defender leave next month or sign him to a new one-year deal in the hope he can build on his decent end to the campaign. He told Get West London: "Tim's shown his versatility by playing in a few different positions. He's had good bits, average bits, and poor bits - a bit like us last season. "Physically, he's decent which is important for the Championship, so of late he did well bearing in mind he was out a long while with an injury, frustrating for him and us." Read more about Championship. - See more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/symons-weighing-up-midfielder-deal-1769746.html#sthash.RfLi9EO1.dpuf

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/symons-weighing-up-midfielder-deal-1769746.html

Friendsoffulham

Fulham: Kit Symons deserves club's backing, says Sean Davis

Kit Symons should remain as Fulham manager and be fully backed by the club's board, according to former Whites midfielder Sean Davis.

Former Wales defender Symons, 44, kept the club in the Championship after taking charge in September, when Fulham were bottom of the table.

"There is a bit of uncertainty over whether Kit will be here or not," Davis told BBC London 94.9.

"They need to be fully behind him and give him the resources that he needs."

Fulham, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, had picked up just one point from their first seven league matches this season when Symons replaced Felix Magath as manager, initially on an interim basis.

In October, he was given a deal until the summer of 2016 after the club took 13 points from a possible 21.

The Craven Cottage side eventually finished 17th in the table, 11 points above the relegation zone, but there has been speculation that Symons may be replaced  as manager this summer.
Fulham under Symons

Played: 45 Won: 15 Drawn: 12 Lost: 18

However Davis, who played alongside Symons at Fulham for three years, believes chairman Shahid Khan should retain his services.

"Some people say Kit started well but then drifted off," added the 35-year-old, who is now retired.

"This club has done well over the years by sticking to a manager and being patient with him.

"There was a period in the Premier League where they got through three or four [quickly] and just wasn't Fulham-like. It didn't seem like the same club.

"The owner should give Kit the resources he feels he needs to get Fulham in the play-offs or be promoted and take it from there."

Davis believes Fulham's summer recruitment will be key if they are to challenge for a return to the Premier League.
Sean Davis

Davis came through Fulham's youth ranks but left Craven Cottage in 2004 to join Tottenham

The club have already extended the contract of Costa Rica international Bryan Ruiz until the summer of 2016.

"The positive is we stayed up and blooded a lot of young players," said Davis, who scored 20 goals in 198 appearances for Fulham between 1996 and 2004.

"The young players have seen what the Championship is all about, had that grounding and will be better for the experience.

"The recruitment has got to be spot on for next season. An experienced Championship side always does well - one with players who have played in the league and know it."

Davis was speaking to BBC London 94.9 ahead of the Fulham All Stars v Celebrity All Stars charity football match at Craven Cottage on Saturday, proceeds from which will go to the Fulham FC Foundation and Shooting Star Chase.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32782010

Friendsoffulham

Sean Davis: 'Fulham must back Kit Symons'

Former Fulham midfielder Sean Davis has urged the club to keep manager Kit Symons in charge for next season.

The 44-year-old took over from the sacked Felix Magath in September before guiding the team to safety in the Championship.

However, the ex-Welsh international's future at Craven Cottage has recently been in doubt, with outgoing Brentford boss Mark Warburton touted as a possible replacement for Symons.

"There is a bit of uncertainty over whether Kit will be here or not," Davis told BBC Sport. "They need to be fully behind him and give him the resources that he needs.

"This club has done well over the years by sticking to a manager and being patient with him. The owner should give Kit the resources he feels he needs to get Fulham in the play-offs or be promoted and take it from there."

Davis began his professional career with Fulham in 1996 before joining Tottenham Hotspur eight years later.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/davis-fulham-must-back-symons_223617.html

Friendsoffulham

Stafylidis Returns to Germany

As the team that failed to get us back into the Premier League at the first attempt starts to be broken up, it appears our Greek international is one that has cleared his locker.

Konstantinos Staylidis, a defender who made 34 appearances for Fulham in the Championship, has seen his loan spell finish thereby forcing him to return to German football.

The 21-year old will be playing for his parent team, Bayer Leverkusen, in the Bundesliga next season with the German club appreciative of the regular football he sampled with Fulham.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=400148#ixzz3aW9SBLyz

Friendsoffulham

US Under-20 boss Tab Ramos hails 'professional' Fulham teenager Emerson Hyndman

The emerging midfielder has been named the USA's captain for the upcoming Under-20 World Cup.

US Under-20 head coach Tab Ramos has hailed Emerson Hyndman's leadership qualities after naming the Fulham midfielder captain for the team's upcoming World Cup campaign.

Ramos was speaking to US Soccer ahead of the tournament in New Zealand, which runs from May 30 to June 20, where his side will face group games against Myanmar, the hosts and Ukraine.

The USA's slick midfield engine, Hyndman stood out as the team's star performer during qualification and, having seen the respect he carries within the squad, Ramos believes he is the ideal candidate to lead them to success this summer.

"We've been discussing with the staff, trying to figure out who we thought was going to be a good leader for us," the former US international said. "We're very fortunate with this group that we have definitely three or four guys who could have taken that role but we felt that Emerson was the right person to lead the way.

"He's very professional on and off the field and the type of person that US Soccer would like to have as a leader. That was definitely a good choice.

"We're happy with that and happy to move and start getting prepared for the World Cup."

Hyndman himself was delighted to be bestowed with the armband, adding: "It's obviously an honour to be captain of World Cup team. He [Ramos] wanted me to be more of a leader and I feel like I can do that, so I'm up to the task.

"I'm looking to bring all the same qualities that I brought in qualifying and to really just help everyone on the team."

Hyndman, 19, made his professional debut in Fulham's Championship opener against Ipswich Town this past season, before going on to earn a shock call-up and first senior international cap just a few weeks later.

The Texas-native made 11 total appearances over the course of the campaign but it could have been more he had not suffered a fractured collarbone at the Under-20 CONCACAF Championship which ruled him out for most of the second half of the term.

Former Fulham boss Felix Magath was a big fan of the teenager, comparing his passing skills to those of Andrea Pirlo, while US head coach Jurgen Klinsmann has also sung his praises on several occasions.

"Emerson is phenomenal," he told the Telegraph in November. "This kid came to our first game after the World Cup, and in our first training session he played like he was always with us.

"He's barely 18. I said to my coach: 'Are you seeing what I'm seeing?' Everyone was like 'woah'."

SEE ALSO: Arsenal teenager heading to Under-20 World Cup but questions over role remain

The talent which Klinsmann has spoken of has not gone unnoticed across Europe either and Borussia Dortmund are now reported to be keeping close tabs on him, [h/t Goal USA], along with clubs in both La Liga and the Eredivisie.

A run of impressive performances in New Zealand this summer could well turn a few more heads and, with his contract set to expire in 2016, Fulham might well find themselves in a battle to hold on to him.

What do you make of Hyndman - is he a star in the making?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/18/us-under-20-boss-tab-ramos-hails-professional-fulham-teenager-em/

Friendsoffulham

Maik: Great Memories

Maik Taylor is looking forward to making his Fulham All Stars debut in the Shooting Star Chase Cup on Saturday.

The goalkeeper had previously been approached by Kit Symons about featuring in the annual charity match at Craven Cottage, but his commitments with the Northern Ireland national team had prevented him from taking part.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com, Maik explained: "I've had some calls over the last couple of years from Kit but unfortunately I've been away working with Northern Ireland.

"The fixtures weren't kind to me which has meant I haven't been able to get involved before. But thankfully we don't have a qualifier until 30th June now so I'm free and I'm really looking forward to it.

"It's been a long time, about 12 years since I've seen a few of the boys so I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. It's all for a good cause and it should be a great day."

He's joined in the Fulham All Stars squad by a number of his former teammates that won promotion to the top flight 14 years ago.

The likes of Barry Hayles, Sean Davis and Rufus Brevett will all be giving up their time for free at the weekend, and Maik is anticipating a decent standard – especially considering people like Hayles are still playing at the ripe age of 43.

"Lots of the boys who are going to be involved were with us during that fantastic season when we got promoted into the Premier League, so it will be great to see them all again," he admitted. "It'll be great to catch up and see what everyone's up to. I'm really looking forward to it – it'll be great.

"I thought Barry was going to retire when I was there 12 years ago! He's done incredibly well to keep going. Sean I know still gets his boots on from time to time, he plays for a friend of mine's vets team.

"They say form is temporary, class is permanent and a lot of those boys are very, very good players who had great careers, and while their legs might not go quite where they used to, they'll still have their touch and technique so it should be good and I expect the standard to be pretty high."

Following his departure from the Club in 2004, Taylor returned to Craven Cottage on a couple of occasions with his new side Birmingham City.

His most recent appearance came on the penultimate day of the 2007/08 season when goals from Brian McBride and Erik Nevland put Fulham's fate back in their own hands, and ultimately sealed Blues' relegation in the process.

And while that afternoon obviously holds unhappy memories for the popular keeper, he insists he always received a warm welcome when he was back in SW6.

"I had a great reception every time I came back, which was brilliant," he said. "We lost 2-0 at the end of the 07/08 season and ended up getting relegated from the Premier League, so that was difficult.

"Obviously I enjoyed my time back there but it was difficult from a personal point of view as we lost the game, but I still showed my appreciation for the reception that I got.

"I've got great, great memories there – Fulham were a big part of my footballing career, six great years I spent there so I always look forward to going back. It's a special place and I look forward to it again."

After signing from Southampton in 1997, Taylor soon established himself as arguably the best goalkeeper outside the top flight.

He made 235 appearances for Fulham and was named in the 2000/01 Division One PFA Team of the Year – as he was when the Whites won Division Two in 1999 – when he kept 18 clean sheets as Jean Tigana's men romped to the title.

Unsurprisingly, it's a season he looks back on fondly.

"I often get asked what was my best time in football, and I'd have to say those first years when I was playing regularly and we got promoted," he stated. "We were all aspiring to play in the Premiership so to be the first Fulham team to do that was fantastic.

"When we got promoted from the Championship that was just amazing – we had a fantastic team and to accumulate the amount of points that we did and score as many goals as we did was really, really enjoyable to be a part of. That's probably my favourite-ever season in terms of enjoyment – it was brilliant."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/19/maik-great-memories

Friendsoffulham

Report: Brentford want former Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham boss Martin Jol

Championship club Brentford reportedly want to appoint former Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham boss Martin Jol as their manager.

View image | gettyimages.com

Championship outfit Brentford want to appoint former Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham boss Martin Jol as their manager next season, according to The Sun.

The British tabloid claims that the Dutchman "has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Mark Warburton".

It has also been reported that Jol himself is open to moving to Griffin Park, but only "if the terms are right and the budget gives him a chance of promotion."

Jol is currently without a managerial job, having been sacked by Fulham in December 2013 following a run of poor results.

The Dutchman was also fired by Tottenham in October 2007 after failing to guide the North London outfit to the Champions League.

Warburton is set to leave Brentford in the summer despite guiding the Bees to a top-six finish in the Championship this season.

SEE ALSO: Ian Wright: This club could turn the head of Tottenham star, he can't resist

Jol's appointment could prove to be a good move by Brentford, who are an ambitious club and will be looking to make the Championship playoffs next season.

The 59-year-old knows English football inside out, and if he is given support in the transfer market, then he could prove to be a success.

Will Martin Jol be a good managerial appointment for Brentford?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/19/report-brentford-want-former-tottenham-hotspur-and-fulham-boss-m/