Tuesday Fulham Stuff (02.02.10)

Started by White Noise, February 01, 2010, 10:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Transfer Round Up

Monday 1st February 2010

Fulham FC News

Business Report:

Fulham wrapped up their January transfer business on Monday afternoon with the news that highly rated German youngster Christopher Butchmann had signed from Liverpool on an 18 month deal with the Club.

The 17-year-old from Minden was named amongst UEFA's 'Top 10 Stars of the Future' in May 2009 after playing an integral role in Germany's European U17 Championship triumph.

Before revealing the Butchmann coup, Fulham announced two loan signings on Monday morning. Firstly it was announced that AS Roma striker and Italy U21 striker Stefano Okaka had signed on loan until the end of the season before the arrival former England international defender Nicky Shorey was confirmed by the Club.

Shorey has also signed a loan deal that will keep him at the Cottage for the remainder of the 2009/10 with Roy Hodgson having the option of making the left-back's move permanent at the end of the current campaign.

Several players departed SW6 on short and mid-term loans on Monday following Chris Smalling's permanent switch to Old Trafford last week. Smalling will remain at Fulham until the end of the 2009/10 season as part of the agreement between Fulham and Manchester United.

Diomansy Kamara (Celtic), Toni Kallio (Sheffield United) and Eddie Johnson (Aris FC) will remain out on loan until the end of the current season whilst a number of Academy Graduates and promising youngsters were loaned out during the January transfer window for a period of one month.

David Stockdale (Plymouth Argyle), Matthew Briggs (Leyton Orient), Wayne Brown (Bristol Rovers), Matthew Saunders (Lincoln City) and Michael Uwezu (Lincoln City) will all gain valuable experience over the next few weeks.

Incoming Players

Player  Deal  From 
Christopher Buchtmann  18 month contract  Liverpool FC 
Nicky Shorey  End of season / Purchase option  Aston Villa 
Stefano Okaka  Loan Deal (5 months)  AS Roma 

Player Sold & Loan Deals

Player  Deal   To 
Chris Smalling  Sold   Manchester United 
Diomansy Kamara  Loan Deal (5 months)   Celtic Football Club 
Toni Kallio  Loan Deal (5 months)   Sheffield United 
Eddie Johnson  Loan Deal (5 months)   Aris FC 
David Stockdale  Loan Deal (1 month)   Plymough Argyle 
Matthew Briggs  Loan Deal (1 month)   Leyton Orient 
Wayne Brown  Loan Deal (1 month)   Bristol Rovers 
Matthew Saunders  Loan Deal (1 month)   Lincoln City 
Michael Uwezu  Loan Deal (1 month)   Lincoln City 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/TransferRoundUp.aspx?#ixzz0eKFfXtK9

White Noise

Ticketing Update

Monday 1st February 2010

Fulham FC News

Be amongst the first to see Fulham's new additions when Roy Hodgson's side take on Portsmouth at Craven Cottage this Wednesday evening!

With The Whites still searching for their first win since that memorable 3-0 defeat of Manchester United in mid-December, Wednesday's game is absolutely vital and your support could make all the difference!

Get behind the team by purchasing your tickets now!
Fulham v Portsmouth ticket info and prices |.

Burnley - Tuesday 9th February (Kick-Off 8pm)
In our second home game in six days, Burnley visit Craven Cottage on Tuesday 9th February (Kick-Off 8pm) in another crucial evening of Barclays Premier League football.
Fulham v Burnley ticket info & prices |.

FA Cup 5th Round - Sunday 14th February (Kick-Off 3pm)
Tickets for The Whites FA Cup 5th Round tie against either Wigan Athletic or Notts County on Sunday 14th February (Kick-Off 3pm) are available now. Season Ticket Holders seats will only be held until 5pm today before being released for General Sale.
Fulham v Notts County or Wigan ticket info & prices |.

FC Shakhtar Donetsk - Thursday 18th February (Kick-Off 8:05pm)
The Whites are back in European action on Thursday 18th February (Kick-Off 8:05pm) when FC Shakhtar Donetsk visit Craven Cottage in the last 32 of the Europa League.
Fulham v Shakhtar Donestsk ticket info & prices |.

Manchester City – On sale from Tuesday 2nd February!
Tickets for the visit of Roberto Mancini's Manchester City side to Craven Cottage on Saturday 20th March (Kick-Off 3pm) will be available to Season Ticket Holders from 9am on Tuesday 2nd February. Members will be able to purchase their tickets from Thursday 4th February, with any remaining tickets going on General Sale from Tuesday 9th February.
Fulham v Manchester City ticket info & prices |.

Tickets can be purchased online |, in person from the Ticket Office or by calling 0870 442 1234 (option 1).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/Ticketingupdate.aspx#ixzz0eKGIjpE8

White Noise

Fulham v Portsmouth

Barclays Premier League

Wednesday 3rd February

Kick-Off 20:00

Tickets are now on General Sale  (max 6 tickets)

Family Pack Offer

Family Packs are available for this game offering fantastic value for money! Buy two adult tickets for the match and receive two Junior tickets absolutely FREE! These tickets can be bought over the phone. Call 0870 442 1234 (select option 3) to book your Family Pack now quoting 'Family Pack'. This offer is only available to advance purchasers and not on the day of the game. All tickets are subject to availability in the Putney End Block P1 only.

My First Matchday Package
My First Matchday offers Junior supporters and an accompanying adult the opportunity to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday. Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the tunnel, pretend you're directing the players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, interview a guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and even meet a Fulham FC legend! More info and prices|

Group Discounts
Receive two free tickets when you purchase six or more match tickets. These tickets can be bought over the phone. Call 0870 442 1234 (select option 3) to book your Group tickets now. Group Discounts can also be booked online using the group booking form. This offer is only available to advance purchasers and not on the day of the game. All tickets are subject to availability in the Putney End Block P1 only.

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
Thomas Cook - match breaks for all Fulham FC home games
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/FulhamvPortsmouth.aspx#ixzz0eKGslRrl

White Noise

Looking Ahead

Monday 1st February 2010

Fulham FC News

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly insists the Whites can overcome their recent run of results following Saturday afternoon's 2-0 defeat against Aston Villa.

In-form Villa travelled to the Cottage and reignited their push for a UEFA Champions League place with Gabriel Agbonlahor on target twice in what was an impressive win for Martin O'Neill's side.

Despite a bright start, Fulham were undone and saw an 11-game unbeaten home run come to an end.

The 26-year-old told Fulhamfc.com: "I think everyone would agree that we started well and came out and had a real go at them. There were certainly moments in the game where we were on top, but we just didn't have the luck in the final third.

"Villa's defence was solid throughout and there were times where they were just throwing bodies in the way of the ball. There were quite a few instances where that was the case and had we managed to steer the ball home from one of those then things may have been different.

"At the other end, we conceded two soft goals and of course, we can't be happy with that. Agbonlahor got across his man and headed in quite freely which isn't really like us and the second, okay it was a great turn and a great finish, but I think we could have done better also.

"We've been punished again for giving teams chances. That's what happens at this level and you just can't afford to do that. It's hard to come back from two goals down, especially against a team like Aston Villa, and left ourselves with a lot to do."

Villa moved to sixth in the Barclays Premier League table with their first win in five league outings and showed the kind of energy and endeavour that have won them a number of admirers this term.

"They are a very good side; they pass the ball well, use the flanks and have a lot of pace," says Kelly. "They have a good squad of players and Agbonlahor showed his quality with his two finishes. So credit to Villa, because they did play well.

"But we can still feel disappointed that we didn't offer more and the fact we switched off when it mattered. We're capable of beating teams like Villa though, and we were certainly looking to come away with something."

This defeat left the Whites seeking a first league win since that memorable 3-0 defeat of Manchester United in mid-December. Roy Hodgson's side now have three games in seven days, with Kelly confident they can bounce back.

He said: "Five straight defeats in the league is obviously massively disappointing and we have to drag ourselves back – starting with the game against Portsmouth on Wednesday evening.

"That's a game that we have to make sure we get three points from because we need it. It's been a while since we took any points and of course, we are aware of that. It's difficult to take.

"To be honest I don't think we've been playing badly, but it does reach a stage where we have to stop saying 'well at least we've been playing well'. I think we'd all agree that it's the points that are important.

"We need to start putting some points on the board now and make sure that we're a bit more resilient. Following the Portsmouth match we have Bolton and then Burnley and we're confident that we can turn things around with three games coming in quick succession. Those points would certainly push us back up the table."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/February/KellyVillaReaction.aspx#ixzz0eKHI3Emj

White Noise

http://timetosoundoff.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/january-transfer-roundup-pt-ii-goodbyes/?

January Transfer Roundup Pt. II: Goodbyes

February 1, 2010

Chris Smalling, well what can we say about that? Comes from Maidstone Utd as a promising youngster 18 months ago, makes a few appearances both in the Prem and Europe and then signs for Man Utd for somewhere between £7m and £12m incl. add ons. To describe this as a meteoric rise would be an understatement. For Fulham this represents fantastic business. Will he be worth it? For me, I think he will. He will be at Fulham for the rest of the season before joining Utd in the summer. When he does go, good luck to him. For now, it is good to have solid backup for Hangeland.

I have dealt with Dio already below, good luck to him.

Kallio, had fallen out of favour and could not even make it on the pitch despite Fulham's problems at left back. I think this may be the last we see of him in a Fulham shirt.

Eddie Johnson, off to Greek team Aris FC. As above, I would be very surprised to see him in a Fulham shirt again. He came and did little for Fulham, but good luck to him. Maybe he will refind form alongside fellow compatriot and former FM wonderkid Freddy Adu.

And the rest (on short term loans): Stockdale (Plymouth), Matthew Briggs (Leyton Orient), Wayne Brown (Bristol Rovers), Matt Saunders and Uwezu (Lincoln). Of those it is only sad to see Wayne Brown go, I was hoping he might start to play a part in the first team. For the rest, it will surely be good experience.

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/fenestrative-fun/?

Fenestrative fun

Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 7:13 pm

Well there we go.

The club neatly summarises ins and outs, but the major business equates to:

Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka in; Chris Smalling and Joe Kamara out.

We also welcome Germany youngster Christopher Buchtmann from Liverpool, and have sent Tony Kallio off on loan again.  James Beattie was nearly signed but we couldn't agree personal terms.

What does it all mean?

First, Kamara.  Which is your favourite Dio moment?

The bicycle kick against Spurs?   Why was he even trying that?  In the last minute!  When we were behind!

The twist and turn and squirm shot that got us going against City?

The burst and bury finish to win the game against City?

And let's not forget that he also won the free-kick from which we scored at Portsmouth, scored in Rome, Sofia, and St James's Park at cheapsportsequipment.com or whatever it's now called.

Quite a CV for a player who never really got going at Fulham, no?

Put another way, we got way more than £6,000,000 of value out of him, financially, emotionally, irrationally.   Goodbye, Diomansy, we will miss you and your unfathomable ways.

Chris Smalling we've talked about.

Tony Kallio seems to have lost Roy's trust, and is no longer seen as a 'safe pair of hands' as a reserve full-back.  Shame, he seemed to have something about him at one point, but in the cold light of day, the Championship does seem about right for him.

With all the injuries we badly needed a fullback too, the question was where we might find one.  January signings tend to be spare parts and misfits, and generally speaking, players who are doing a good job are not available unless their team is skint or something unseemly has happened.    Shorey was plucked from the Duff and Murphy bin.  He's not as good as them, but it's the same sort of signing, a good player down on his luck who might well thrive in the right environment.   He may well not thrive, but at least he's a proper left-back who once got himself picked for England, so I don't suppose we could have hoped for much more.

Okaka is a mystery.  People talk about their evaluation of him from our Europa games, but I don't know that you can read too much into those glimpses.  Roy's watched him and seen something, but it'll take a special player to make a tangible difference to the side's goalscoring prowess at this point in the season, and he's more likely a calculated risk with what the 'mericans call 'upside'.   If he doesn't adapt we've really lost nothing;  if he does we've a nice player on our hands.   Who knows?   Time will tell.

The lad from Liverpool is, according to the messageboards, rather highly regarded.  But anything can happen with youngsters, and unless a player is clearly 'ready' I think speculating about their future is best left to whenever they pop up in the first team.  Until then they're merely one of several hopefuls whom we may never see playing for Fulham.

Speaking of which, master of Finland, Wayne Brown, is on loan at Bristol Rovers.  I feel rather deflated by this.  I know the Finnish league is a notch or two off our own, quality-wise, but he was so well regarded that I had hoped he might get a few games on the bench, a few starts in cups, and then more first team fun over the next season or two.   Might still happen, of course, but it does feel like something of a let-down.   Ho hum.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5082

Where are they now: Andrejs Stolcers?

by Dan on February 1, 2010

Andrejs Stolcers has moved from Bath City to Hayes and Yeading on a free transfer.

I remember the optimism about our new Latvian arrival when he sealed a fine win at the Hawthorns with Fulham's third goal against West Brom having come on as a second half substitute. A decade later and he's earning a living in non-league football.

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5064

Volzy training at QPR

Update from the former Fulham full back's blog. No suggestion that he'll be there permanently, but it seems like the Schalke move fell through:

Over the past few days I've been training with QPR. I'm very grateful they're giving me the opportunity to build up my match fitness after such a long time out. I played 80 minutes in a reserve game for them in midweek which went well and helped give me a good indication of where I'm at and what I've still got to do to get back to where I was. You can train all you like but it's matches you need to really get back to your best and games like this really help to indicate where you stand physically, technically and tactically. So I'm going to carry on training with QPR for the time being and we'll see what happens from here. But all in all it's been a good week. I'm off to do a few quiches now ..

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5072

Fulham make Beattie bid

According to Sky Sports News, Fulham have made an offer to bring in James Beattie from Stoke. Not sure what to make of this one.

Also, Nicky Shorey's been and gone from the squad player profiles page on the offal. Perhaps we're waiting for the FA to confirm whether he can move, having been on loan at Nottingham Forest earlier this season.

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/33418/De_Rossi_Fulham_new_boy_destined_for_big_things.aspx

De Rossi: Fulham new boy destined for big things

Author:  Nigel Brown

Posted on:01 February 2010 - 09:05

New Fulham signing Stefano Okaka has been hailed by former team mate and Italy international Daniel De Rossi to make a big impact in the Premier League with Fulham and revealed he believes the 20-year-old is destined for great things.

Okaka joined the Roman youth system in 2004 but has fialed to break into the first team plans following loan spells at Modena and Brescia. Despite this Okaka has scored 2 goals in 29 appearances for the club as well as plating for the Italian Under-20 side.

However Italian international Daniel De Rossi has hailed the prospect of Okaka, and also revealed that he has tried to block the player's departure from Rome. Fulham boss Roy Hodgson has tracked the player since the summer and was able to lure the forward on loan until the end of the season.

De Rossi told LaRoma24.it. :

"I have a penchant for Okaka. I already opposed his transfer a few years ago, but I'm happy for him.

??"I think it's good for Stefano to go and play there, but he could also do well here. He is destined for big things."

The 20-year-old impressed against the Cottagers in the Europa League earlier this season and boss Roy Hodgson has been keeping tabs on the talented forward.

Okaka is yet to finalise terms with the Cottagers but agent Domenico Scopelliti is expecting the deal to be rubber-stamped without a hitch today.

"The two clubs appear to have struck a loan deal, with Roma retaining an option to re-sign the player," he revealed.

"If he reaches an agreement with Fulham, he will move to England on loan for the next six months, with Fulham having the option to keep him for a further season."

One of Okaka's two goals this season for Roma came in their 2-1 European win over the London club in November

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/01/celtic-diomansy-kamara-tony-mowbray?

Diomansy Kamara says he joined Celtic because of Tony Mowbray

• Kamara says he turned down offers from France and England

• Striker enjoyed his best year under Mowbray at West Bromwich

Ewan Murray

guardian.co.uk, Monday 1 February 2010 17.26 GMT

Diomansy Kamara has joined Celtic on loan from Fulham until the end of the season. Photograph: David Davies/PA

The Celtic manager, Tony Mowbray, received words of support from one of his new signings Diomansy Kamara today. Kamara says it was the presence of Mowbray, with whom he previously worked when at West Bromwich Albion, which persuaded him to move on loan from Fulham until the end of the season, with the option of a three-year contract at the end of it.

"I had chances to go to France and there was something in England, but I worked with Tony Mowbray at West Brom," Kamara said. "He knows exactly what I can do and where I can play; that is the most important reason I chose Celtic.

"I think I played the best football of my career when I was with him at West Brom. I love training with him. I scored 25 goals during that season with Tony. Yes, it was in the Championship, but it is hard to score goals everywhere. I have spoken with Tony and there's the option of a contract for another three years. That's a big project for me. I don't just want to stay here for three or four months."

Kamara was candid over his time at Craven Cottage, which turned sour following a £6m move from West Brom after the forward incurred a serious knee injury.

"I had a little bit of bad luck at Fulham," he said. "I was injured for eight months and scored towards the end of last season. However, I had another knee injury this season and I could have done more there if I wasn't hurt."

Kamara is expected to feature at some point in tomorrow night's Scottish Premier League game against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park, with Celtic 10 points behind the leaders Rangers. His fellow new arrival at Celtic, Edson Braafheid, has been allowed a couple of days leave to attend to personal matters in his native Holland.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/01/fulham-stefano-okaka-loan-roma

Fulham sign striker Stefano Okaka on loan from Roma

• Forward moves to Craven Cottage on six-month contract

• 'It is crucial for me to go to England,' says 20-year-old

Press Association

guardian.co.uk, Monday 1 February 2010 12.55 GMT

Stefano Okaka is hoping his move to Fulham will help him develop as a player. The striker joined the London club today on a six-month loan deal from Roma with an option to remain for a further season in England.

"I have been with Roma for five years," said Okaka. "I have grown thanks to the advice of my team-mates. But to have a leap in quality it is crucial for me to go to England and play in the Premier League. I hope I can return stronger than before. The loan deal expires in June but there is the option to remain there for a further year. We shall see."

Okaka secured a late winner for Roma in yesterday's 2-1 defeat of Siena but the Italian club's manager, Claudio Ranieri, has no regrets over sanctioning the player's exit and hopes his time in London will benefit the team in the long term.

"Stefano is a great lad," said Ranieri. "I have no regrets. He has been at Roma for five years and I believe the experience in England could mark a turning point in his career. He can do a lot more and the Premier League will give us back a much stronger player."

Okaka has made seven league appearances for Roma this season, all as a substitute. The 20-year-old is under contract with the Serie A club until June 2012. He scored against Fulham in the Cottagers' 2-1 defeat at Roma in November.

White Noise

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/celtic/diomansy-kamara-hopes-to-follow-his-hero-larsson-and-become-celtic-king-1.1003133?

Diomansy Kamara hopes to follow his hero Larsson and become Celtic king

0 comments

Published on 1 Feb 2010

THE king has long gone, but his reign may have helped usher another period of prosperity for Celtic.

Henrik Larsson has now moved into management but his playing days provided the inspiration for Diomansy Kamara, the 29-year-old striker, who has joined Celtic on loan until the end of the season.

"I loved Larsson's kind of play when I was younger," said Kamara who completed his move from Fulham yesterday. "I loved George Weah during his days at Paris St Germain and Larsson. Larsson was not the same kind of player as me, but he had great skills and scored amazing goals. He was my hero."

Kamara, who played for Celtic manager Tony Mowbray at West Bromwich Albion, sees the move to Scotland as his opportunity to reignite a career that stalled because of serious knee injuries.

"My main goal is to stay fit and I hope the supporters love me," he said after completing his first training session at Lennoxtown. He did much to make the latter ambition come true by saying: "It was an easy decision to make because Celtic are a massive club. When Tony Mowbray rang me three days ago to tell me Celtic were interested in signing me, I said 'yes'.

"I know him and it is a dream for me to play at Celtic because my football hero was Henrik Larsson. I know the Scottish League is not the Premiership, but I am so happy to come here because the fans are amazing. Playing in a stadium like Parkhead is a dream for every player."

Much of this can be ascribed to the footballer's desire to make a good impression, but there is no doubting Kamara's sincerity when he talked about how important the move north could be for him. At 29, the Senegalese internationalist needs to play regularly and he hopes to extend his stay in Glasgow. "I am on loan at the moment, but I have spoken with Tony and there's the option of a contract for another three years," he said. "I want to be part of the project going on here for the next few years."

The Mowbray factor was crucial to the signing. "I had chances to go back to France and there was something in England, but I worked with Tony Mowbray at West Brom and he knows exactly what I can do and where I can play," said Kamara. "That is the most important reason I chose Celtic.

I played the best football of my career when I was with him at West Brom. I love training with him and I could play behind a big striker or right or left."

Kamara, who has never visited Scotland before, revealed he had some knowledge of Scottish football by referring to the good form of Hibernian, who beat Celtic only last week. He was not dismayed by his departure from the Barclays Premier League. "The Premiership is the best league in the world, but Celtic and Rangers would do so well if they could get down there," he said. "I think they would be in the top five."

He is ready for the fray, making himself available for tonight's game at Rugby Park. "It is nice for me to be able to play immediately and we have a good challenge. We can fight for the title," he said.

Kamara was not daunted by the gap at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League. "Yes, there are 10 points in it, but we have a game in hand and we will reduce that by winning at Kilmarnock," he said. "We also have two games against Rangers and the title will be open if we win those games. We can win the title. There is, of course, the Scottish Cup as well.

"I know it will be hard, but we need to win something this year. It is hard for Celtic to end a season having won nothing. I love to play with pressure on me and I know the fans are crazy. They are the best supporters in the world. Parkhead also has an atmosphere like Anfield and I just want to see it."

Kamara also shrugged off references to his injury problems. "I feel so good now. I am 100% fit and I don't feel anything at all in my knee. I had to be fit to come here. I wouldn't have signed if I was feeling any kind of pain. I have taken my time to come back strong and I am ready."

He will have to be if he is to have any chance of replicating just some of the feats of his football hero.

Diomansy Kamara

age 29 position Forward

height 6ft 1in

international appearances Senegal 49 (9 goals)

career 07-present Fulham;
05-07 West Bromwich
Albion; 04-05 Portsmouth;
01-05 Modena; 99-01
Catanzaro; 98-99 Red Star 93, Paris

White Noise

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2010/02/window-shopping.html?

Window shopping

OUTS

Diomansy Kamara: What a strange in and out player he was for Fulham. His reputation grew as he was injured/sat on the bench this season, but I think he was more a lucky talisman than a consistently brilliant player. Dio gave me my favourite moment watching Fulham, the last-minute, overhead kick equaliser which managed to lob Paul Robinson from the edge of the box in a scintillating 3-3 draw. It was very much Kamara's introduction that gave Fulham the impetus to avoid the drop during the Great Escape, but all his best work has been away from home so I never really connected with him. I hope he does well in Scotland.

Seol Ki-Hyeon: Another enigma, but one with fair less drive than the man from Senegal. Seol had flattered to deceive as a winger and was even less convincing as an auxiliary forward. He will not be missed, which is why the club could get away with simply terminating his contract.

Chris Smalling: It appears that Smalling's strange signing by Manchester United could be the biggest deal in the January transfer window. I don't think anyone would have expected that. Rumours of £8m up front with another £4m of top-ups mean that most fans completely understand why Fulham have sold up. For United it's an unusual type of deal for them, especially given the fact that Smalling hasn't played many Premier League matches. But he has impressed in Europe, I just didn't think he'd impressed THAT much.
But Smalling's not going until summer so he's still here, like Banquo's ghost only less effective especially when teamed with Hangeland. Fergie must have been squirming in his seat at the Cottage on Saturday after the less than stellar defensive performance on show.

Tony Kallio: I've seen this guy play a handful of games since his arrival, but can't actually remember anything about him. If he can't force his way into a team which has no other fit left backs, you've got to wonder what he's done to annoy Hodgson.

INS

Nicky Shorey: An old, respected name but I'd not realised that he hadn't been playing at Villa and was plying his trade in the Championship for Forest. Desperately needed in the short-term and should provide some competition in the left back position when Konchesky gets fit, something I think is long overdue.

Stefano Okaka: Signed off from Roma in some style with a late, backheeled winner but didn't particularly stand out when playing Fulham in the Europa League, despite scoring the winner in Rome. A shame he is cup tied for Europe though, especially with Kamara moving on.

Christopher Buchtmann: Jokes about his surname aside, all the evidence suggests that this 17-year-old kid is a steal from Liverpool's reserves. £100,000 for a player described as one of  UEFA's 'Top 10 Stars of the Future' in May 2009? Fantastic! Knowing Roy he won't even get a game during his 18 month contract. Whatever happened to Giles Barnes?

White Noise

White Noise

Unless we engage with this generation, there will be more anti-social behaviour, not less. They need role models  -  and what have they got? Morons such as John Terry.

My dad wanted a boy, but he got me. Nevertheless, I would accompany him to see his beloved Fulham play until I was 12, standing on the terraces at Craven Cottage every other week.

I saw at first hand how football has the unique power to glue communities together and give them hope.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1247607/John-Terry-Why-time-blow-whistle-footballers-foul-play.html#ixzz0eM6Ygy7v

White Noise

http://thelinc.co.uk/2010/02/in-and-out-imps-transfer-window-slams-shut/

In and out: Imps' transfer window slams shut
By Adrian Bell

| Published On February 1, 2010 | In Lincoln City

The January transfer window has slammed shut and Imps manager Chris Sutton has had a busy month. Photo: Lincoln City F.CLincoln City manager Chris Sutton has had a busy month of transfer activity, as the January transfer window has slammed shut.

The Imps boss has been busy in overhauling his Lincoln City squad as they look to avoid relegation into the Blue Square Premier.

The former Celtic striker who took over the managerial reigns at Sincil Bank from Peter Jackson in September, has used his contacts particularly at Fulham and Aston Villa to guide his side away from the League Two relegation zone.

Arguably the most important January acquisition was the extension of Chris Herd's loan from Premiership outfit Aston Villa. The Australian has played a pivotal role in the Imps upturn of form with two goals to his name.

Although the window has shut, meaning permanent transfer deals cannot be done, clubs can still sign loan players and sign players without a club. Here's the full list of Lincoln City's January transfer dealings:

IN:

Joe Anderson – Anderson has signed a permanent deal at Sincil Bank, arriving from Premiership side Fulham for an undisclosed fee. The youngster who spent a loan spell at non-league Woking last season has been a solid addition to the Imps defence.

Adam Watts – The giant centre half, like Anderson, arrived from Fulham for an undisclosed fee after an impressive loan spell at the club. Watts' arrival was Sutton's first acquisition when he signed on loan from the Cottagers. Watts has done well in shoring up the Imps backline.

Nathan Baker – The England Under 19 centre half has joined the Imps on loan from Aston Villa. The highly rated centre half has formed a solid partnership with Adam Watts since he's been at the club. Baker is a no-nonsense defender who likes a good challenge.

Clark Keltie – The centre midfielder has signed a deal until the end of the season following his release from League Two rivals Rochdale. Keltie rejected the chance to join Darlington in favour of a move to Sincil Bank. Keltie has made one start for the Imps and looks to be a good league two capture.

Chris Herd - The Australian who has signed a loan deal until the end of the season from Aston Villa has been a pivitol figure in guiding the Imps away from the relegation zone. The Imps have already made known their intentions to capture Herd, whose contract runs out at the end of the season, on a permanent contract.

Matthew Saunders – The hard working central midfielder has been a hit at Sincil Bank since his arrival on a month's loan from Fulham. Unfortunately for the Imps, Saunders has gone back to Fulham following to undergo treatment on an injury, but Imps boss Chris Sutton has made known he would like to bring Saunders back.

Delroy Facey – Delroy is a typical League Two target man, big, strong and not afraid to put his body about. Facey is currently in his second month on loan from Notts County. The bustling striker has notched one goal to date, a terrific header as the Imps defeated Chesterfield 2-1 on Boxing Day.

Michael Uwezu - The pacy striker, like Matthew Saunders, joined on a month's loan from Premier League side Fulham, and also like Saunders, had to go back to his parent club following an injury. Uwezu struggled to make an impact at Sincil Bank, failing to make a single start. Sutton has no plans in bringing Uwezu back.

Steven Lennon – The young Scotsman is on a loan deal that runs until the end of the season. The nippy striker failed to make the grade at Ibrox, but will be best known for a hat-trick for Rangers as they beat Celtic in a Youth Cup Final fixture.

OUT:

Joe Heath – The left back was signed by former boss Peter Jackson at the beginning of the season on a six-month loan from Championship side Nottingham Forest. Heath's Lincoln City career had been hampered by injury and following the completion of his spell at Sincil Bank, returned to Forest and was subsequently released.

Graham Hutchinson – The Imps youngster joined Premiership side Fulham for a month's trial, and as of yet there has been no official news of any possible transfer.

White Noise

James loses wage war

Published: Today

Add a comment (0)

JAMES BEATTIE'S £2.5million move to Fulham collapsed after he demanded a staggering £45,000 a week.

The Stoke striker even had a medical before boss Roy Hodgson pulled the plug.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2834692/James-loses-wage-war.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Football#ixzz0eMAPDHDC

White Noise

Nic Ful of joy over big move
Published: Today

Add a comment

NICKY SHOREY said thanks to Martin O'Neill after joining Fulham on loan.

Shorey, 28, is desperate to get his career back on track after losing his place under boss O'Neill at Villa.

The left-back said: "I can't thank Martin enough for the opportunity to get some first-team action in the Prem-ier League.

"I am keen to show everyone I have the quality needed to play in the top flight."

Fulham also signed Italy Under-21 striker Stefano Okaka from Roma until the end of the season - and snapped up German youngster Christopher Buchtmann, 17, from Liverpool.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2834749/Nic-Ful-of-joy-over-big-move.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Football#ixzz0eMAwGPeW