Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (02.02.10)

Started by White Noise, February 01, 2010, 10:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/8493833.stm

Marine sign former Everton midfielder Sean Doherty  

Doherty played for England at Under-17 and Under-19 levels

Unibiond Premier side Marine AFC have signed ex-Everton and Fulham midfielder Sean Doherty from Witton Albion.

Mariners manager Kevin Lynch says the 23-year-old can use his time at the club as a stepping stone to return to top level football.

"Sean can certainly get back to where he once was and we just want to give him the platform to do that," Lynch told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"He has played at some fantastic clubs and its a pleasure to have him here."

Doherty started his career in Everton's youth academy before moving to Fulham in July 2001 for an undisclosed fee.

Since leaving the Cottagers in 2005, he has played for Dutch side ADO Den Haag, Port Vale, Accrington Stanley, Belgian club Royal Antwerp and League of Ireland Premier Division side Sligo Rovers, before moving to Witton Albion in July 2009.

"Certainly Sean coming back to Marine will put him right in the shop window," continued Lynch.

"We're hoping while he is in the shop window he can produce the goods for Marine Football Club. This is a good stepping stone and I hope we can rise up together."

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=5103

The Forest view on Nicky Shorey

by Dan on February 2, 2010

Just had this through from a Forest fan on Nicky Shorey:

Livid that you've nicked him from us. He's a class act and should do really well at Fulham. The only reason he wasn't in the Villa team is because of Stephen Warnock – he's been capped twice by England and played in the Prem with Reading.

He is a composed player and very clever. His great footballing brain meant he was a playmaker for us from left back! He'll definitely do well for you.

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/danny-murphy/article/3182/

Shocked to see Smalling go

Tue Feb 02 03:31PM

Chris Smalling's transfer to Manchester United was a bit of a shock at the club, given the limited exposure he has had to Premier League football.

There is no denying he is an extremely gifted footballer who has pace to burn, and is extremely strong in defence. His talent was recognised early by both Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger and his move gives him the opportunity to cut his teeth at one of the finest clubs in the country in Manchester United.

It will be interesting to see how much game time he is given competing alongside some of Europe's finest defenders in Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, but Chris has a fantastic opportunity that I am sure he will relish. From Fulham's perspective, it is great to be able to keep him until the end of the season prior to his departure to Old Trafford.

I am very happy with Fulham's transfer window activity and think we have managed to reinforce the squad in a number of areas that we were struggling with injury.

Nicky Shorey is an excellent addition at left-back from Aston Villa, with good experience at this level. Christopher Buchtmann is a young German player signed from Liverpool that I haven't yet had the opportunity to meet, but look forward to doing so shortly.

Finally, Stefano Okaka, the AS Roma and Italy U21 striker has signed on loan until the end of the season. He looks very strong and quick in training, and will hopefully be able to form a good partnership with Bobby Zamora given the injuries we have at present up front.

January has been a bad month for us in the context of our season so far, but we have addressed this period as a minor blip that all clubs go through in a season. The game against Portsmouth gives us an opportunity to get things back on track, and start getting some points on the board again.

In terms of fixtures, we have had a difficult run with defeats coming to Chelsea at the end of December, Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa, but now is the time we have to pull together and build on our form prior to the New Year.

We have a good number of home fixtures coming up and so we must look to build on our excellent home record. We can't be complacent against the likes of Portsmouth, Burnley and Bolton, which we have identified as winnable games if we put in the performances we know we are capable of.

White Noise

Avram Grant blasts Portsmouth broken promises as Premier League holds back £2m from Kaboul and Begovic sales

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 5:52 PM on 02nd February 2010

Comments (0) Add to My Stories

Avram Grant has hit out at Portsmouth's broken promises amid further financial misery for the stricken south coast club.

The Israeli had hoped to strengthen in the transfer window, but found his first-team squad weakened on deadline day as Younes Kaboul and Asmir Begovic were sold in an attempt to make a dent in debts.

Now it has emerged that the Premier League will hold on to more than £2million from the sales to cover money owed to other clubs.

Financial pressure is rising, with the playing staff still waiting for their January wages and news that a deadline had been missed to pay former owner Sacha Gaydamak £9m.

Former Chelsea boss Grant took over from Paul Hart in November and was led to believe he be in a position to add four new players to his side, who are rock bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

However, the only January arrival was former Arsenal forward Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, who arrived on loan from Spartak Moscow.

The decisions to sell Kaboul and Begovic without being consulted led Grant and chief executive Peter Storrie to consider their positions.

But with Pompey facing a trip to Fulham on Wednesday, Grant insisted: 'I'm not a quitter and I'm not afraid of problems. For me a problem is a big challenge and I came here with a big challenge.

'But I'm very, very disappointed with the situation off the pitch and I'm very disappointed that people cannot do what they promised me.'

'When I came to the team, I knew the situation was not good with the football side, but they promised me everything was good with the financial side and that we would bring four players more.

'We took points and the team played good football - not worse than the teams in 10th or even eighth place.

'We showed a lot of character and were thinking about the next step - to stay in the league.

'We needed to bring in players so that the squad could be good, especially as we had a lot of injuries in the team.

'Instead of bringing in two players, we sold two players. I'm very disappointed.'

'I'm trying not to think about myself now, especially when we have a game on Wednesday. I'm trying to think about the club because I don't think that I'm the main issue.

'The main issue is Portsmouth Football Club and the fans. I'm trying to think what is best for them.

'Of course, I don't feel we did the best for them off the pitch. But on the pitch, we are always trying to do the best and I'm only thinking about the game.'

Chelsea and Watford will both receive cash owed from when Pompey signed Glen Johnson and Tommy Smith respectively.

Once the players' wages have been covered, the £4m remainder from the £8m Portsmouth earned from selling Kaboul and Begovic could be an important lifeline.

The club will use a chunk of the cash to try to persuade HM Revenue and Customs to reschedule the payments on the £7.5m owed in VAT.

However, another creditor has also joined in with HMRC's winding-up petition to the High Court on Wednesday week.

Grosvenor Basingstoke Properties are claiming they are owed money by Portsmouth though that is being disputed by the club.

Their total deb to Gaydamak stands at £28m. It is unlikely that he will take any action to push the club towards administration because that would not be in his best interests in terms of reclaiming his debt.

Portsmouth say they expect to pay the players' wages for January 'in the next day or two'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1248023/Avram-Grant-blasts-Portsmouth-broken-promises-Premier-League-holds-2m-Kaboul-Begovic-sales.html#ixzz0ePLYcpEu

leonffc

Quote from: White Noise on February 02, 2010, 07:02:30 PM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/danny-murphy/article/3182/

Shocked to see Smalling go

Tue Feb 02 03:31PM

In terms of fixtures, we have had a difficult run with defeats coming to the dark side at the end of December, Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa, but now is the time we have to pull together and build on our form prior to the New Year.

Please tell me no one has edited this and Murph really did call them 'the dark side'