News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Staf - Statistically our best defender???

Started by Black, White and Fred, May 21, 2015, 02:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black, White and Fred

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/21/fulham-in-numbers

Just Read the Fulham in numbers feature. Staf's numbers are actually quite impressive, go figure :022:

Thank god we aren't a Moneyball team.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

snarks

I always thought they would be. I rated him, his only problem for me, was that he gave the wingers a yard too much room to get crosses in, he was very quick and won a lot of tackles.

Craven Mad

Over the course of the season Staf was our best fullback (which isn't much of an achievement, considering the competition).

The statistics can hide a number of factors though; such as he may have been more heavily targeted than other defenders, meaning he had more opportunity to make tackles/interceptions etc. He was also the defender chosen to be on the line for corners, possibly because he was positionally the weakest and offered little in the air, but this gave him the opportunity to make more goal-line clearances.

I reckon the statistics give a slightly unfair portray of events (much like how the passing stats tell you little about the range/direction of the pass [short backward passes are much more likely to be completed than long forward passes, so a high pass percentage doesn't necessarily reflect a good passer].

I don't think Staf was as bad as some made him out to be but he certainly wasn't worth the rumoured £3.5m touted. £2m would have been pretty good business, but we're better looking elsewhere at that price.

HatterDon

Quote from: Craven Mad on May 21, 2015, 02:49:00 PM
Over the course of the season Staf was our best fullback (which isn't much of an achievement, considering the competition).

The statistics can hide a number of factors though; such as he may have been more heavily targeted than other defenders, meaning he had more opportunity to make tackles/interceptions etc. He was also the defender chosen to be on the line for corners, possibly because he was positionally the weakest and offered little in the air, but this gave him the opportunity to make more goal-line clearances.

I reckon the statistics give a slightly unfair portray of events (much like how the passing stats tell you little about the range/direction of the pass [short backward passes are much more likely to be completed than long forward passes, so a high pass percentage doesn't necessarily reflect a good passer].

I don't think Staf was as bad as some made him out to be but he certainly wasn't worth the rumoured £3.5m touted. £2m would have been pretty good business, but we're better looking elsewhere at that price.

Plus, I doubt we had any say in where he plays this coming season. His BL team wanted him back. why play in the second tier in England?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Craven Mad

Quote from: HatterDon on May 21, 2015, 06:15:18 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on May 21, 2015, 02:49:00 PM

Plus, I doubt we had any say in where he plays this coming season. His BL team wanted him back. why play in the second tier in England?
Actually - based on what the papers said - we had agreed a price in the loan agreement, which would have allowed us to keep him if we just paid that amount. Which suggests we thought that the amount we originally agreed was now too high, so sent him packing.

On the flipside, Stafy seemed pretty set to return before the season ended, and we may have just decided it wasn't worth paying to keep a player who didn't want to be here..

The Rock

Or both. We need better if we ever want to try and get promoted. Not that we are a club with ambition.

Nick Bateman

Yes, Staf as you lovingly call him only directly gave away 12 goals while the rest were in the 15+ range.  Ergo, he is only four-fifths the liability at the back than any of the others.

He should crack open a bottle of vintage Dom Perignon with that news!  I'm euphoric about it already....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Wolf

I thought the numbers, and my own eyes, made Bodurov the best defender.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Max Headroom

It's abalance of the most defensive actions and the least defensive errors, particularly the catastrophic ones..... Staff made plenty of all of them. For me didn't live up to his pre season promise