more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (24/05/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 24, 2015, 08:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham All Stars 10-4 Celebrity All Stars

The Fulham All Stars retained their Shooting Star Chase crown with a 10-4 victory over their Celebrity counterparts on Saturday afternoon.

A Barry Hayles hat-trick, along with strikes from Paul Peschisolido (2), Sean Davis, John Pantsil, Andrejs Stolcers, the Magic Mod, and Alan Neilson earned victory for the home side in our annual charity match.

Fulham kicked things off and looked to take advantage of the lack of height in the celebrity goal, but Davis' effort from the halfway line cleared Felipe, of Apprentice fame, and his crossbar.

Hayles went close to breaking the deadlock with five minutes played when Peschisolido slipped him through, but his rifled effort found the side-netting.

And the pair combined again for the opening goal two minutes later as a curling Peschisolido pass sent him in on goal and he rounded the Felipe before nestling the ball in the net. Manager Simon Morgan suggested that it may go down as an own goal after a recovering defender got the final touch, but there's no dobut Barry will claim it.

Peschisolido then went from provider to scorer as he played a one-two with Davis before bending an effort inside the far post which Felipe couldn't get a strong enough hand on to keep out.

Hayles grabbed his second on 14 minutes when he spotted Felipe off his line and sent in a chip from 30 yards which sumptuously nestled in the back of the net, before Davis scored a similar effort five minutes later from outside the area after being teed up by Hayles.

Kenny Achampong was known for bamboozling defenders in his playing days and he was at it again on 21 minutes when he beat his man before squaring across the face to Davis. He laid the ball off to Peschisolido who was never going to miss from close range.

Fulham fan Ben Taylor, AKA Magic Mod, should have made it six shortly after but he was missing the magic touch when he connected with Achampong's cut-back and skewed his shot over the bar.

After conceding five goals inside the opening quarter of a game, Felipe made way to be replaced by Foundation Coach Chris Smith.

Following a lull where nobody really had a chance, musician Tinchy Stryder almost pulled one back shortly before half-time, but again Taylor was equal to the effort, with the Fulham keeper then making another great save to keep out captain Jack Whitehall's rasping shot.

They did pull one back before the break, though, as boxer Darren Barker converted from close range, meaning the score at the interval was just 5-1.

Fulham emerged for the second 45 with vigour and Elvis Hammond almost got on the scoresheet when he cut inside and rifled in a low strike that came back off the post.

But the sixth arrived soon after when Pantsil, having taken up a more attacking midfield position, nestled one inside the far corner. It was a neat finish which was greatly cheered by the fans in attendance.

The Celebrities didn't give up the fight, though, and grabbed another goal of their own shortly after the hour mark as DJ Spoony burst into the box and finished coolly beyond Taylor.

The five-goal advantage was restored not long after, however, as Pantsil slipped Andrejs Stolcers in and the Latvian smashed in a brilliant strike from a tight angle, although James Hill then notched another for the Celebrities.

On 83 minutes Davis took a theatrical tumble in the box to win a penalty which Magic Mod put straight down the middle for 9-3, but the Celebrities reduced the deficit again on 90 minutes when former Liverpool midfielder David Thompson tucked home the rebound following a Taylor save.

But Fulham had the final say as defender Alan Neilson found himself well up the pitch and managed to chip the goalkeeper from a tight angle to ensure the game finished 10-4.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/23/fulham-all-stars-celebrity-all-stars?

WhiteJC

Nottingham Forest in talks to sign Matt Mills but face competition from Fulham

Nottingham Forest are in talks to sign former Bolton captain Matt Mills.

The 28-year-old centre-back is out of contract and underwent a medical on Saturday as former Bolton boss Dougie Freedman is keen to snap him ahead of interest from Fulham.

Despite their transfer embargo, Forest are able to sign free agents and loans but are restricted on what wages they can pay out.

Former Bolton captain Matt Mills, pictured challenging Raheem Sterling, is in talks with Nottingham Forest

Former Bolton captain Matt Mills, pictured challenging Raheem Sterling, is in talks with Nottingham Forest

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3094553/Nottingham-Forest-talks-sign-Matt-Mills-face-competition-Fulham.html#ixzz3b2N8FpBW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Three games that changed my life: BARRY HAYLES

Barry Hayles in his early days at Stevenage Borough

Barry Hayles enjoyed a wonderful career playing for the likes of Fulham, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle and Stevenage, where he started his career back in the 1990s. At 43, he is still playing, but what are the three most significant games of his stellar career?

Stevenage 0 Birmingham City 2

FA Cup Third round, January 1997

The first big game for me would have to be when I played for Stevenage against Birmingham in the FA Cup. We were drawn at home but because our ground wasn't up to scratch, it was moved to St Andrew's and we lost 2-0.

We were a Conference side at the time, but I think that game really put a lot of us on the map as a club and as individual players.

We had a decent team and beat Hayes after a replay in the first round and then won 2-1 at Leyton Orient in the second round.

I had been at Stevenage for five or six years and then I got a move to Bristol Rovers and I think the Birmingham game had something to do with that. It put the team on the map and me, as one of the players that had a decent game that day against higher opposition, in the spotlight as one of the players that was coming through. Before that game, not a lot of people realised who Barry Hayles was.

Obviously we weren't expected to get that far so there was a lot of interest in the game because Birmingham were a Championship team of the time. And that was also the first time that I was able to watch myself on Match of the Day! I was only a young lad at the time, so I was buzzing to get home and watch TV and see myself playing on the television.

It was also the first time I had played at a big ground like St Andrew's and that was a buzz in itself. It was great to play at a really good stadium and I remember the build up to the game as well because of all the interest, it was a fantastic time for the club.

Steve Bruce was playing for Birmingham that day and was one of the defenders that was marking me and Gary Ablett, the former Liverpool and Everton defender, so it was a tough afternoon for me, but I came out of the game with a lot of credit.

Fulham 1 Southampton 0

FA Cup fourth round replay, 1999

After leaving Stevenage, I'd done well at Bristol Rovers, who I joined for £250,000, but I hadn't been there for 18 months when Fulham came in and paid £2 million for me, so I'd joined them for quite a bit of money.

I didn't settle in there as well as I would have liked and I was getting some stick from the home fans, who thought I was coming in to take the place of one of their favourite players there.

So I hadn't settled in as well as I would have liked, but we were drawn against Southampton in the FA Cup. We were in the old Second division (now League One) and they were in the Premier League and we were unlucky to draw the first game at Southampton as we were winning 1-0, but they got a last minute equaliser. But in the replay, we beat them 1-0 and I scored the winner with about five minutes to go and I think that turned my Fulham career around and the rest is history, really.

It was Kevin Keegan that took me to Fulham and playing for him was fantastic. Being a striker himself, he saw my game and thought he could do with me in his team.

It was a great time to be at Fulham and Keegan obviously went on to manage England after that. Then we had [Paul] Bracewell for a bit and then [Jean] Tigana came in.

He really turned the club around and entertained a few people and I remember him saying to me in a meeting that he liked me, not to change, you're going to be a big part of my squad, which was good to hear, and we went on and won the league that season and were promoted to the Premier League.

Obviously, when a new manager comes in with new ideas, you think you aren't going to stick around, but he was great and believed in me.

Anyway, our reward for beating Southampton was a trip to Old Tarfford, where we played Manchester United and we lost 1-0. United went on to win the treble that season, so it's not a bad side to get knocked out by, is it?

Plymouth Argyle 0 Real Madrid 1

Pre-season friendly, July 2006

My introduction to life at Plymouth Argyle was quite extraordinary really – and certainly nothing like I was expecting! I signed for the club from Millwall and straight away I was on a flight to Austria for a pre-season tour. I had barely landed when we were playing against Real Madrid!

I think, growing up, you always want to play for Real Madrid, but to play against them is the next best thing. And here I was having just signed for Plymouth and I was facing them!

The rest of the boys had already been in Austria for a few days and they were already well into their [pre-season] work. I arrived and I was put through my paces and my debut was against Real Madrid!

There had been an issue with the hotel we had booked, I think they had booked it too and they didn't want us to stay in the same hotel. But they said they would pay for us to stay in another hotel and play us in a game.

As for the game itself, I remember that we hardly attacked. We spent 90 minutes defending, we never saw the ball and we only lost 1-0, which was a good result given who it was against and the players they had playing. I think it was a penalty as well (Brazilian international Julio Cesar Baptista scored the only goal of the game with a 74th minute spot kick).

I remember Jonathan Woodgate played, because he was marking me that day, and the Italian [Antonio] Cassano was up front. They had [Ivan] Helguera and Guti playing for them and Thomas Gravesen, who was also at Everton for a bit.

I think it was World Cup year, so they didn't have a lot of their really big names playing. But it was still a very strong side, a prestigious occasion for the club and a real buzz for me and the lads to play against them.

Read more: http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/games-changed-life-BARRY-HAYLES/story-26559679-detail/story.html#ixzz3b2ObhQm7
Follow us: @WMNNews on Twitter | westernmorningnews on Facebook

Friendsoffulham

Marcus Bettinelli 360

Whites goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli discusses his breakthrough season and talks us through his favourite saves in this in-depth feature for Fultime magazine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CRnp7etqk

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/24/marcus-bettinelli-360