https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Breaking news : FIFA

Started by f321ffc, May 27, 2015, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btings

Quote from: Bill2 on May 27, 2015, 04:49:46 PM
Quote from: cmg on May 27, 2015, 03:53:08 PM

At last! Somebody with enough clout to stick it to these sleazebags.
Loretta Lynch (US Attorney General) giving it the full broadside right now on SSN (and other channels, I guess). Go get 'em gal.
Obviously not intending to bid for the World Cup next time round then.

Probably the only shot the US had for 2026 was to replace Blatter anyways.

Nick Bateman

One has to question the motive of America to get involved in a sport they barely give two-hoots about.  I believe it is because Blatter has awarded the next World Cup to RUSSIA, who they are starting to have a "cold war" with, that has provoked this interference with football on this scale.

Incriminate the people below Blatter and they do a 'deal' under threat of years in prison on "racketeering" charges in the fraut US legal system to remove him and the WC to Russia goes with it.

Watch this space....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Fulham Tup North

Cannot believe anyone can think that FIFA is in anyway corrupt?
They have that very nice man, Sepp Blatter in charge and they also have a very shiny sign outside their head office with those big letters, FIFA.  It just shouts honesty and trust!

Fraudulently
Involves
Fiddling
'Allegedly'   ;)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 27, 2015, 05:54:47 PM
One has to question the motive of America to get involved in a sport they barely give two-hoots about.  I believe it is because Blatter has awarded the next World Cup to RUSSIA, who they are starting to have a "cold war" with, that has provoked this interference with football on this scale.

Incriminate the people below Blatter and they do a 'deal' under threat of years in prison on "racketeering" charges in the fraut US legal system to remove him and the WC to Russia goes with it.

Watch this space....

Or it could just be that these guys have been grafting millions upon millions for decades and doing nothing to redeem themselves.....like paying off the right people. FIFA earns too much not to be giving tribute up the food chain.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

cmg

Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 27, 2015, 05:54:47 PM

Watch this space....

Question all you like. But the USA is the ideal party to take this action for a number of reasons.
They have the muscle to make things happen (like it or not). If we (UK) started to talk about extraditing bodies from Switzerland they'd just laugh at us.
Also, because they are not a big part of the FIFA establishment (largely a Europe/South America hegemony) they can stand a little to one side. At the same time they (or at least the US Dept of Justice) are not trying to shirk their own involvement. Lynch has mentioned that leading US companies are involved in a big way and she more or less stated categorically that the awarding of the 2016 Copa America (the centenary tournament of which they are very proud) to the USA for the first time was, in fact, a stitch up.
It is true that Football (Soccer as Ms Lynch would have it) lags behind the domestic sports in the US - but it is a vital market for the future of the game and 'two hoots' in the US of A might be worth a whole flock of owls from some other necks of the woods.

Forever Fulham

The world was shocked when, seemingly out of nowhere, neither of the two leading candidate countries to host the Cup then (U.S. and England) lost to Qatar, a country with zero football history and current presence, unspeakably hot desert temperature during the traditional set-aside calendar dates for the Cup.  It's one thing to plan on moving the Cup every four years to a different continent than the forum for the immediately preceding Cup. No one questions the value in that guiding principle.  This was rigged.  There are reports of an eyewitness-a woman in attendance - who is alleged to have clearly heard an agreement go down to bribe country officials a set amount of money to swing the vote to Qatar.  And as to Russia -- I don't have any details yet.

While one might normally think Blatter will invoke plausible deniability, the Justice Department  will flip the lower rung actors to rat out higher ups to save their own skin.  They'll 'cut a deal' in exchange for their testimony.  And that might domino all the way to Blatter.  Standard operating procedure.  These same people are supposed to be there for the vote.  But they got rousted out of bed at 4:00 a.m., and I don't think they'll be there for the voting....   The higher ups who get fingered will of course try to impeach the credibility of those who ratted them out, arguing you can't believe a defendant who cut a deal to save his own skin.  Such testimony is suspect.  But juries and judges make that call; and more times than not, they don't discount such testimony out of hand.  Rather, they believe it.  I recall England getting a single vote for the hosting the Cup that year.  One single vote.  For many countries, hosting the Cup, like hosting the Olympics, is the kiss of death.  Look at Yugoslavia, Brazil, Athens, etc.  Stadiums that sit and rot.  Specialized activities buildings that become white elephants.  Cost overruns that cripple a nation's or city's budget.  England and the U.S., by contrast, have and had the infrastructure in place to host the Cup without great expense, and without the likelihood of being unable to meet completion and quality deadlines. One single vote.  If it looks like a duck; walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's a duck.  We all suspected there were bribes.  This is going to be very interesting.

YankeeJim

To say that America doesn't give a hoot about soccer is just plain ignorant. More Americans watched the last WC final than have ever watched a World Series or NBA final. The fact that the time zones were in our favor had something to do with it to be sure. Those 1 & 2 AM games from South Korea on a work night were difficult.
This investigation has had to be going on for quite some time. Nobody is better at cracking organized crime, & that is what FIFA is, than the US Justice Department. Ask John Godde. I don't know how long FIFA has been corrupt but no one else had had any success in cleaning it up. I thought waiting until all seven were in Switzerland with whom we have a strong extradition treaty, was pure genius. Of the seven countries represented only your guy has a sound legal system in place so getting at them in the Caymans, Brazil, Costa Rico or Uruguay would have been difficult. Once they end up here and look at the interior of an American jail & their lawyers tell them that federal crimes require that 80% of the sentence be served before parole can be considered and I think the rats will begin to squeal. I just hope it gets to Septic Bladder.

Fair play to Loretta Lynch and her predecessor.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

fulhamben

gregg dyke on the offensive tonight. saying blatter has got to go. hopefully get this riddiculous qatar wc stopped aswell
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

valdeingruo

YJ,  it has been going on for quite some time. From what I was reading this morning, they got Blazer to wear a wire tap during the 2012 Olympic tournament.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Jonaldiniho 88

Heard someone call FIFA the MaFIFA. Made me chuckle. Wonder if these guys helping have broken their blood oath of silence.

Oakeshott

What is needed in parallel with the excellent work of the US justice authorities is for the main football nations in Europe and N, South and Central America to walk away from FIFA, forget Russia (criminally undermining Ukraine) and Qatar (not a football nation with no proper infrastructure for the game) and start from scatch. The 2016 competition to be held in mainland Europe, maybe shared among France, Germany and Holland, and the next one in America, similarly shared between two or more countries. Get rid of this over-the-top bidding by individual countries and associated bribery, utilise existing stadiums to keep down costs and above all make it accessible to genuine football fans.

fulhamben

Quote from: Oakeshott on May 27, 2015, 11:19:06 PM
What is needed in parallel with the excellent work of the US justice authorities is for the main football nations in Europe and N, South and Central America to walk away from FIFA, forget Russia (criminally undermining Ukraine) and Qatar (not a football nation with no proper infrastructure for the game) and start from scatch. The 2016 competition to be held in mainland Europe, maybe shared among France, Germany and Holland, and the next one in America, similarly shared between two or more countries. Get rid of this over-the-top bidding by individual countries and associated bribery, utilise existing stadiums to keep down costs and above all make it accessible to genuine football fans.
is that you sepp? you sound like more of a dictator than sepp did. needs to go to a vote between countries that want it and can host it. just saying where it should go starts you off on the wrong foot from the outset, and the vote should be cast from the head of every single fa
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Even Sepp Blatter fell off the back of a Lorry.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

Disappointing.
In my opinion there has been an inordinate amount of garbage posted on these pages over the past few months. No problem. It's only my opinion and I can always scroll by or ignore those areas which do not interest me.

But this thread, on one of the major occurences in the football world over the past few years, has engendered some lively and informed comment with not everybody in total agreement, but with a broad range of support.

It now seems to be in danger of being hijacked by matters irrelevent to a football forum. You may or may not agree that the US Attorney general is the ideal person to head this initiative to clear the FIFA Augean stables but her political affiliations are of no footballing interest. No one cares if Loretta Lynch is a Democrat, a Republican, an Anarcho-Syndicalist or a Coalminer's Daughter.

snarks

an Anarcho-Syndicalist

Oh I'll have to go and look up what one of those it... is it something to do with newspapers... Do I win a prize?

However, I have had nothing but contempt for FIFA as run by B;atter for several years, and when you consider he was a protege of Havelange, and what has happened to him, I am not in the least surprised at what has transpired.

cmg

Quote from: snarks on May 28, 2015, 08:45:56 AM
an Anarcho-Syndicalist

Oh I'll have to go and look up what one of those it... is it something to do with newspapers... Do I win a prize?

Don't think Anarcho-Syndicalists do prizes.
Not many around these days, especially not in the USA (just Noam Chomsky and, possibly, the drunk bloke from the Simpsons).
Lots of them got shot in Spain, by their enemies, their allies and each other. It's a creed which tends towards fragmentation and self-destruction. Think Punk Rock without the laughs but with better tunes.

The Equalizer

Quote from: cmg on May 28, 2015, 08:11:05 AM
Disappointing.
In my opinion there has been an inordinate amount of garbage posted on these pages over the past few months. No problem. It's only my opinion and I can always scroll by or ignore those areas which do not interest me.

I believe that the beginning of this garbage posting can be attributed to the date that I stopped posting regularly.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

BearcatFFC

This story gives some more additional background on Loretta Lynch. Before she became Attorney General, her office in Brooklyn, NY was where most of the research and legwork was done dor this case, so it would be reasonable to say that as she was head of that office, she was likely a big part of the investigation and therefore knows the case very well. So as she is now atty general, she might just be the perfect person to be in place for this case, as she will pursue it with passion having already invested years of hard work into it.
Http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/loretta-lynch-stunning-debut-fifa-soccer-118353.html

Martinsback

Blatter is "living the dream" of all CEOs of organisations - huge salary, lots of power but absolutely no responsibility if any thing is going wrong BUT is able to take credit for everything that is going right!

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave!

nose

it's this simple
Uefa shoul resign from fifa and run football in europe as a stand alone body... unfortunately uefa are only slightly less dodgy..... yet that is what they should do.

the world cup is not that great a tournament, the last few have been dull and even the one in brazil went on far too long. the world cup needs to be streamlined, but that is a different story.

In the case I am suggesting uefa is the richest biody by far and so fifa would have to disband/change..... but european football does need them and football does need them, too much money and too many thrid world despots lining their own pockets (hardly big news!).

the world cup in russia should be boycotted as should qatar, if they still go ahead... even if england didn't win 2018, to get just one vote proved beyond reasonable doubt that the process was corupt. that was impossible in a fair ballot.

I have spake!