watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Breaking news : FIFA

Started by f321ffc, May 27, 2015, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

It is good that something at last is being done about this.

There has been too much ducking and diving over this.

In the lead-up to the awards of the next two tournaments to Russia and Qatar, the Sunday Times went public on all the corruption and the BBC did likewise in "Panorama". And yet nothing was done.

Then there was the investigation that FIFA commissioned, then suppressed when the findings weren't favourable. Even to this day they have refused to disclose the full report.

It is good to see UEFA now publically stating that the elections tomorrow should be scrapped and that Blatter should go.

As the other federations have yet to state anything I suspect that the elections will carry on and Blatter will somehow live to see another day.

Forever Fulham

I originally tried to point out, too obliquely perhaps, that Ms. Lynch's appointment wasn't an election in any normal sense of the word, that it was an 'election' only in the pinched definition of the Senate fulfilling its duty to advise and consent by way of some display of approval.  The constitutional underpinning of the phrase "advice and consent" was never explained by the original framers.  What does it mean?   It's been the subject of much debate and many law review articles.  No one knows with certainty how "advice and consent" is to be manifested.  But over time, the U.S. Senate gave up scratching its collective head, and just engaged in simple straight up or down voting to manifest the "consent" half of their duties with respect to certain enumerated Presidential nominations.  Rare, very rare, was the Senate that failed to quickly confirm a Presidential nomination which required senatorial "advice and consent."  Until we got to the Obama Administration.  (Let's see... What's different about him from all of the other past Presidents?)  A review of history shows that Democrat party majority Senates in the past almost always gave the then-Republican President quick approval of almost all of his nominations requiring such "consent".  The time lag in the Loretta Lynch nomination broke every record for a Presidential appointment in -- I think --U.S. history.  Well, there might have been a few federal judge nominations by Clinton or Obama that the Repubs held up for a longer period.  But no one on par with the level of this appointment.  Here's a handy article that explains it: http://thehill.com/opinion/op-ed/237008-advise-consent-and-confirm-loretta-lynch

Forever Fulham

Updates and analysis of the criminal prosecution of FIFA official deserves a place at the table on this discussion board.  It's that important.  But I fear we are running perilously close to a lock down with opinion discussion about American politicians and political beliefs.  Let's cool our jets and stay on topic--breaking news about the investigation, the charges, the evidence, the key players, the named defendants, the timeline going forward, repercussions, etc. -- and no more side bars to the danger zone, OK?  My gosh, it's still hard to believe a nation has actually brought major criminal charges against FIFA.  Did any of you see that coming?  Not I.  And to think that Switzerland had the courage to assist the way it did.  Nice.

absent cottager

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/clean_up_football_uk/?bjXKhjb&v=59477

Protest and make a bit of action to boot with this petition to get blatter axed

F(f)CUK

A lovely article in the BBC rolling sports news on its website:

"Zambian journalist Kennedy Gondwe explains to BBC World Service (why Sepp Blatter is popular in Africa).

"Sepp Blatter is at least a person who has done or has been able to deliver on a number of things he has promised Africa," Gondwe told Outside Source. "He has come to understand what Africans need. Sometimes what is viewed as corruption in Europe is not exactly corruption here in Africa.
:doh:

Forever Fulham

NY Times -- today

U.S. Soccer Will Support Blatter Rival in FIFA Election

ZURICH — At dawn on Wednesday, Sunil Gulati, the president of U.S. Soccer, woke with a start, his phone buzzing on the desk of his room at a luxury hotel here. A police raid was quietly going on in the halls around him, and some of Mr. Gulati's closest professional colleagues — a few of them his friends — were being arrested on various charges related to corruption. The calls and texts did not stop for hours.
Mr. Gulati, who is also a member of FIFA's powerful executive committee, said his emotions were mixed as he read and talked about the news. "Shock and disappointment were first," he said. "Then, very soon after, came anger."

That anger, he added, only confirmed a decision he made months ago: On Friday, when one delegate from each of the 209 associations that are members of FIFA casts a vote for the next FIFA president, Mr. Gulati will instruct the United States delegate to vote against the longtime incumbent, Sepp Blatter, and vote instead for the only other candidate, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan.

Sepp Blatter's Embattled FIFA Presidency

As Mr. Blatter seeks his fifth term as the president of soccer's global governing body, a look back at his troubled tenure.
Mr. Gulati, in an interview here Thursday, said he knows that doing so might have repercussions for U.S. Soccer in the future, especially if Mr. Blatter, as expected, wins a fifth term as FIFA president. Anti-American sentiment is not unusual in international sports, and the involvement of the Justice Department in the arrests will not help the United States' image.
Under Mr. Blatter, FIFA has often operated with a culture of "retribution," as Prince Ali once put it, which could make it more difficult for U.S. Soccer to find allies. But Mr. Gulati has decided that voting in favor of change at FIFA is the most important priority, even if it might hurt the United States in its bids to host a World Cup.
It is not a decision he undertook lightly — he said he discussed it with a few U.S. Soccer board members before backing Prince Ali's bid — but it is one he said was critical.
"Would I like to see the United States host a World Cup in the future?" Mr. Gulati said. "The answer is, of course, yes. But for me, and for U.S. soccer, better governance and more integrity at Concacaf and FIFA are far more important than hosting any international soccer tournament."
He added: "I'm sure there are some people who would disagree with that decision and would prioritize things differently. But this is how we feel, and we are doing what we think is right. If being on the right side of issues costs us from hosting a World Cup in the future, that would be unfortunate. But we are prepared to deal with that."
The hosting rights for the 2026 World Cup — the 2018 tournament will be in Russia, and the 2022 event is scheduled for Qatar — will be awarded in 2017. It is difficult to predict how FIFA will look by then, but Mr. Gulati is hopeful that Prince Ali, instead of Mr. Blatter, will be leading something close to a wholesale change in the organization.
Mr. Gulati also said that the Canadian soccer federation would join him in backing Prince Ali, who has campaigned largely on a platform of reform.

When it was noted that Prince Ali is considered a significant underdog to Mr. Blatter, who has held the FIFA presidency since 1998, Mr. Gulati shrugged.
"Being on the wrong side of an election result — if that's what happens — is not necessarily being on the wrong side," he said.
There is a viable alternate path. If The U.S. and Europe have had enough of FIFA's corruption and of Mr. Blatter, they should withdraw...
It's astounding that USSF would even consider supporting Blatter, though I understand the calculation. The real problem in FIFA is, in a...

A Jordanian prince as the less corrupt option. Time to opt out.

Wednesday's events only strengthened Mr. Gulati's determination, he said. As he watched Attorney General Loretta Lynch's news conference — in which she and other government officials detailed the widespread corruption their investigation had uncovered — Mr. Gulati found himself shaking his head over and over.
Later, when he saw wives and other family members of those arrested in the hotel, he witnessed the personal level of the arrests. The arrest of Jeffrey Webb, the president of Concacaf and Mr. Gulati's closest friend among the officials who were detained, was particularly jarring.
"It was a huge shock," he said. "I know a number of the people were involved in the indictment, but Jeff is the one I know best in that group. That was hard."
He continued: "Everything that happened — it's just so many things. It's embarrassing. It's awkward. It's everything."
Mr. Gulati would not go as far as Michel Platini, the president of European soccer's governing body who called for Mr. Blatter to step down earlier Thursday, but he did make clear that he believes the first step toward restoring fans' trust in FIFA is with a new president.
"The central issue for me now is governance," he said. "And I think that governance would be significantly enhanced by a change in leadership. It's time — it's past time — for a change."

Nick Bateman

Whether one likes or dislikes Mr.Blatter, it is a dangerous president to set for America to have someone arrested for an alleged crime committed not in America.

On that basis, they could accuse YOU of "racketerring", which is one of the broadest most vague terms of impeachment in U.S. law, and have you shipped over to stand trial against the weight of their government and secret services prosecuting one on whatever charges they have allegedly uncovered.

America has little interest in soccer so it does strike one as odd of their involvement in this matter.

Frankly, the last World Cup was the best refereed in ages and for once FIFA and Blatter were determined that their tournament would not be hijacked by the divers and professional cheats freom around the world.  It was back to reality when the Premier League & Champions' League followed with the "usual suspects" receiving all the help they literally screamed for.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Logicalman

OK, as one vigilant member pointed out, this thread has gone off topic and should be locked, but it is a very relevant topic, therefore, I am removing all posts not directly relevant to the OP, and any further posts as such will be treated in exactly the same way, and so leaving the thread open.

If members want to argue, especially about politics, or any other banned subject on here, then do it on your own board, FoF is not the place.

Thanks,

LM
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

snarks

Nick

To use an "Americanism" wake up and smell the coffee. America have been doing this for a long time. Their law gives them jurisdiction where American services have been used, be it a server for emails, or an American wifi system.

Also do not forget their propiatal interest in the Dollar, as this transaction have taken place in that currancy, I really have no issue with it.
Heck I'm sure their joint chiefs would much rather have invaded to do it, but I'll take the legal route every time.

Hope this keeps out of the politics aspect.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Nick Bateman on May 29, 2015, 04:21:08 PM
Whether one likes or dislikes Mr.Blatter, it is a dangerous president to set for America to have someone arrested for an alleged crime committed not in America.

On that basis, they could accuse YOU of "racketerring", which is one of the broadest most vague terms of impeachment in U.S. law, and have you shipped over to stand trial against the weight of their government and secret services prosecuting one on whatever charges they have allegedly uncovered.

America has little interest in soccer so it does strike one as odd of their involvement in this matter.

Frankly, the last World Cup was the best refereed in ages and for once FIFA and Blatter were determined that their tournament would not be hijacked by the divers and professional cheats freom around the world.  It was back to reality when the Premier League & Champions' League followed with the "usual suspects" receiving all the help they literally screamed for.

What on Earth do well performed World Cups have to do with bribery and money laundering? Absolutely nothing.

You say that no crime was committed in The U.S., something that simply isn't true. A great deal of the money laundering took place in The U.S., using banks located there. Even a cursory reading of the news on the subject would provide one with that bit of information.

Your continued conspiracy theories are uninformed. It's as if you've heard someone read the title of an article on the subject and just taken it upon yourself to make up the rest.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Logicalman on May 29, 2015, 04:37:19 PM
OK, as one vigilant member pointed out, this thread has gone off topic and should be locked, but it is a very relevant topic, therefore, I am removing all posts not directly relevant to the OP, and any further posts as such will be treated in exactly the same way, and so leaving the thread open.

If members want to argue, especially about politics, or any other banned subject on here, then do it on your own board, FoF is not the place.

Thanks,

LM

I accept my punishment with humility  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

NB

"US has no interest in 'soccer"  !!
I beg to differ, every school I go by has at least one 'soccer' pitch and I rarely see an NFL Football pitch unless the extensions are fixed onto the footie goals.
It's only 8 years since they were ranked 4th in the FIFA rankings and they've got to the finals of the
last 9 world cup. It's growing, perhaps not as fast as it could but the interest and level of excitement for the last WC was huge, there were at least 2 huge street parties where I live for the games.

This may also surprise you.......Rugby.
I watched a game between the US and the All Black Maori's
60,000+ people in the Philadelphia Eagles stadium, the noise and support was fantastic.
I was surprised at how good the US was and their captain, Todd Clever,a giant of a man was superb
and a great inspiration and motivator for the team and crowd.
He would easily earn a place in any team in the world.
They narrowly lost in the last 10 minutes or so.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Nick Bateman

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 29, 2015, 04:53:06 PM

What on Earth do well performed World Cups have to do with bribery and money laundering? Absolutely nothing.

I wanted to point out how well FIFA officiated their last WC, as opposed to the one they did in South Africa which was a disaster!  One only hears negative comments from the British media about Sepp Blatter and it is something I had on my mind to balance the argument somewhat.

And why hasn't Roman Ambramovich been charged yet, after all the press were telling us how Chelsea are the most hated club in football, to most of the press fawning over them with sniveling nauseating ingratiation?!

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on May 29, 2015, 05:06:00 PM

"US has no interest in 'soccer"  !!

Perhaps I took a cheeky swipe at the U.S. and exagerrated a little to make a point.  One does get the impression of a lack of interest from the major investors of sport rather than the populous, who seem to be more involved.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Logicalman

Nick,

The unfortunate (for some) truth is that US currency is generally accepted a s world currency, and as such falls under the purview of the US Treasury, ergo, the US DoJ, and rightly so.

In addition, it appears to have been widely spoken about regarding the allegations of corrupt practices by FIFA officials, and others, for many a year (are they REALLY a charity you ask?), and I have to say whereas I may not always agree with the USDoJ poking about in other countries affairs, they appear to have been the only real Justice Department to have the gonads to do something about it, or at least try to.

Therefore I welcome their intrusion into dealings in foreign countries, and applaud the ingenuity of how they managed to have such arrest warrants executed by governments one might feel would prefer not to assist, but realize the USDoJ is not someone to urine-about with, and I hope they do their usual trick of turning the pions and finally going after the bigger fish, whomever they may be, that has brought the name of the beautiful game into such disrepute.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

f321ffc

Blatter wins first round of votes but fails to gain 2/3rds majority, going to 2nd round. fp.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

fulhamben

Prince Ali withdraws. Time to pull out of fifa
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Buffalo76

Time for UEFA to pull out and leave this clown to ruin his organisation  :dead horse:
That's it and that's all.

fulhamben

Quote from: Buffalo76 on May 29, 2015, 06:25:56 PM
Time for UEFA to pull out and leave this clown to ruin his organisation  :dead horse:
hope. They do. Euros every two years would be better anyway. It would give some of the other continents a chance at winning a world cup too
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HatterDon

Mr. OW, the US has jurisdiction because many of the billiions of dollares in bribes were laundered through banks in the USA. That makes it a crime. And this "precedent" has been going on for the better part of a generation. It just didn't involve football until now, so perhaps you weren't aware.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Forever Fulham

Assuming, arguendo, Blatter gets re-elected, which looks likely, I wonder how far into his new tenure it will be before he  is served with papers, if at all.  And whether or not he is ever formally charged, if the prosecution results in some early plea bargaining guilty verdicts of lower-rung actors, won't the tide turn against Blatter?  Won't those with a vote make sure Blatter or his hand-picked successor doesn't get elected thereafter?