watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Breaking news : FIFA

Started by f321ffc, May 27, 2015, 07:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Rats do dessert sinking ships and I should think there may well be some "He knew all about it"
If indeed he did.
Either way as president surely he is still accountable for his troops.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

chiefo

Boycott their sponsors the only way, but guess we're in Europe so that won't help.

Forever Fulham

More U.S. press/opinion coverage.  Some good stuff in here:

It was a lot closer than we thought it would be a week ago, but in the end the result was as expected: four more years of Sepp Blatter.
Joshua Keating

In the first round of voting in FIFA's presidential election in Zurich, Switzerland today, incumbent Sepp Blatter, needing a two-thirds majority to avoid a second round of voting and secure his fifth term, came out ahead of Jordanian Prince Ali Bin al-Hussein's 133-73, but still seven votes short of the supermajority. The second round required just a simple majority and Ali withdrew, mercifully sparing us all another long and pointless vote.
The voting was done by secret ballot but we know a bit about which candidate members were planning to support. UEFA, Europe's 54-member soccer federation, was backing Prince Ali, though a few members—Russia, of course, and most likely Spain—broke ranks to support Blatter. The U.S. was on Team Ali, as was Canada and Australia. There were also reports on the day of voting that South America's 10-member federation CONMEBOL was switching its support to Ali.
But ultimately, that wasn't enough to overcome Blatter's overwhelming support in Africa, Asia—despite the fact that Ali is FIFA's vice president for the region—Central America, and the Caribbean. (The head of the Dominican Republic's football association compared the FIFA head to Jesus, Nelson Mandela, and Winston Churchill at a meeting last month.) As thoroughly corrupted as Blatter's FIFA appears to, well, everyone, he's clearly been good to many of the members.
Blatter was characteristically confident before the vote, telling the delegates in his statement, "You know me already, I don't need to introduce myself to you. You know who you're dealing with. I also know I can count on you. We need to recover our good name. We will start tomorrow morning with this goal in mind."
So what happens now? Swiss authorities have informed Blatter that he could face questioning within weeks as part of its inquiry into vote-rigging in the awarding of World Cups to Russia and Qatar. And U.S. authorities will now be submitting formal extradition requests for most of the officials arrested earlier this week. The fallout of the scandal is also now spreading to Brazil, where the police and congress have now launched inquiries into money laundering and tax evasion by soccer officials. The former president of the Brazilian football federation was among those arrested and his successor fled Switzerland before today's vote, apparently panicked by today's vote.
The organization itself seems at risk of imploding. UEFA head Michael Platini, who had called on Blatter to resign, said this morning that his members, which include soccer powerhouses like Germany and Spain, would consider pulling out of FIFA if Blatter were re-elected. The head of the England Football Association Greg Dyke also said that the country would consider boycotting the 2018 World Cup in Russia if Blatter stays and would consult with other UEFA members about doing the same.
Blatter may have survived the vote—and it would be a mistake to underestimate his long-term survival skills—but the troubles seem likely to continue for the world's most popular sport.

A Not So Brief History of Sepp Blatter's Crookedness

Why the American Justice System Actually Stands a Chance Against FIFA

Forever Fulham

Money starts to talk.

May 29 (Reuters) - Coca-Cola Co urged FIFA to take "concrete actions" to address the issues that have been raised, hours after Sepp Blatter was re-elected the president of the world football governing body mired in a corruption scandal.

"FIFA must now seize the opportunity to begin winning back the trust it has lost," Coca-Cola, one of the major sponsors of FIFA, said in an email on Friday.

Blatter was re-elected the president of FIFA for a fifth term as the only other candidate conceded defeat after a first round of voting in an election overshadowed by allegations of corruption in world soccer.

Twig

I would boycott the companies that bankroll FIFA, but in most cases I don't consume their products. However I honestly believe that the only way to topple the filthy, corrupt and despicable entity that is FIFA is to drive away its commercial sponsorship.
Of course I am not suggesting that Mr Blather is filthy, corrupt and despicable as, of course, there is no suggestion that he had any idea what was going on during his watch (credible or what?!).  Just staggeringly inept then?

ToodlesMcToot

It's soccer. If you're truly so perturbed by a word, feel free to come and find me.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

MisfitKid

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 29, 2015, 08:23:40 PM
The next person to call Association Football, soccer. Will have their Tongue nailed to the Jaws of A Great White Shark with toothache.
If they survive that ordeal, they will be tarred and feathered, and removed to a desert island, to spend the rest of their life alone with Sepp Blatter.

Lighten up Francis...  :dft011:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

fulhamben

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on May 29, 2015, 08:27:35 PM
It's soccer. If you're truly so perturbed by a word, feel free to come and find me.
only since 1974. plus americans played football well before american football was even invented
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

The next person to call Association Football, soccer. Will have their Tongue nailed to the Jaws of A Great White Shark with toothache.
If they survive that ordeal, they will be tarred and feathered, and removed to a desert island, to spend the rest of their life alone with Sepp Blatter.

There probably wouldn't be much need for the second option, but here goes

soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer
soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer

soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer      football    soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer

Idle threat
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

fulhamben

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on May 29, 2015, 08:37:22 PM

soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer
soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer

soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer      football    soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer

Idle threat
at least you got it right once ;)
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

cookieg

What I find bizarre about the various FA's who voted for Blatter, apart from the fact that the vast majority of them are absolute minnows in a footballing context, is that surely they must realise that they will come under intense scrutiny as to how they spent the money that Blatter dished out. It just smacks of an extreme cover-up with people sticking together to delay the collapse of a rotten house for as long as possible.

BarryP

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 29, 2015, 09:47:05 PM
It's Football and always will be, soccer is a pathetic word for girls.

If I were younger and single I would use no other word than soccer just to get in good with the soccer women of the world.

Back on topic, I can't see a middle ground for this situation at the moment.  The footballing/soccer world is either nearing a radical overhaul of or split from FIFA or a return to the status quo once the winds have died down.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

HatterDon

I don't think that would be a good idea, but I frequent St George's Gym Putney most days, I am available for consultations, advice and support for those more vulnerable than me.

Kind of makes you wonder why the English thought it up, eh?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

HatterDon

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 29, 2015, 10:18:01 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 29, 2015, 10:06:46 PM

I don't think that would be a good idea, but I frequent St George's Gym Putney most days, I am available for consultations, advice and support for those more vulnerable than me.

But it's the yanks that play it.

Didn't you get your 50th anniversary [Fulham at Wembley] issue of TOOFIF? It's amazing the number of articles from '75 that used the word "soccer." And only the English would come up with a "cutesy" word like "soccer." ASSOCiation Football became "soccer" about the same time RUGby Football became "rugger."

But we and the Aussies are always happy to follow your lead.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: HatterDon on May 29, 2015, 10:37:54 PM

Didn't you get your 50th anniversary [Fulham at Wembley] issue of TOOFIF? It's amazing the number of articles from '75 that used the word "soccer." And only the English would come up with a "cutesy" word like "soccer." ASSOCiation Football became "soccer" about the same time RUGby Football became "rugger."

It doesn't really matter does it boys? I dislike it being called soccer but it's what they call it. They have named their game football in homage to our great game. I would rather Americans call it rumplestinskin and support fulham than not be interested. We have a great US bunch of fans and I would not want to alienate them. I know from both your posts this is all in good humour.

HatterDon

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on May 29, 2015, 10:44:46 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on May 29, 2015, 10:37:54 PM

It doesn't really matter does it boys? I dislike it being called soccer but it's what they call it. They have named their game football in homage to our great game. I would rather Americans call it rumplestinskin and support fulham than not be interested. We have a great US bunch of fans and I would not want to alienate them. I know from both your posts this is all in good humour.

I think my American friends would be quite relieved to discover that I've given up my football addiction in favor of being slavishly devoted to International Rumplestiltskin! Thanks for the tip! starsnstripes

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on May 29, 2015, 08:37:22 PM

soccer  soccer  soccer soccer soccer      football    soccer soccer soccer  soccer  soccer soccer

Idle threat

Just count yourself lucky you weren't the next person.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Apprentice to the Maestro

I can cope with 'soccer' because it is has been used here even if much less often than 'football'.

The word that grates for me though is 'roster'. Please, at least when talking about British teams and Fulham in particular, can we all say 'squad'.

Forever Fulham

More sponsors are making serious noises of rebelling.  But they have multiyear deals, so we'll have to wait to discover how the Morals clauses in those sponsorship contracts, respectively, are worded.  This article was just published:

Soccer's 'nuclear option' could make the World Cup irrelevant

What would happen if Sepp Blatter hosts a World Cup and most of Europe, several South American powers, and the US don't show up?
Blatter was voted to a fifth term as FIFA president on Friday, but the governing bodies of soccer's wealthiest region, the world's biggest economy, and several nations in soccer-crazed South America opposed him following a string of scandals.
As the 79-year-old was celebrating defeating Jordan's Prince Ali bin al-Hussein 133-73 for another four-year term, his opposition was figuring out how to pressure him for change.
The Union of European Football Associations could threaten what's become known as soccer's nuclear option: prominent nations breaking away and holding their own tournament, call it a Clean Cup. At FIFA's World Cup qualifying draw on July 25 in St. Petersburg, Russia, there could be scores of empty seats in the Constantine Palace.
"Blatter's supporters are Vladimir Putin, the invader; the Qatari government and their supposed slave employees to build the facilities; and about 80 or 90 tiny countries that he has given each one a vote and a ton of money to," said Marc Ganis, president of Chicago-based consulting firm SportsCorp.
"He needs to be careful not to overplay his hand," Ganis said. "He was given an opportunity to do what he said, which is reform FIFA. If he uses that opportunity to extract retribution against those who are opposed to him, he's setting up a confrontation that if it goes all the way to the end, he can't win. He's never demonstrated that level of ignorance, so I don't expect that he will do so."
With a one-nation, one-vote system, Blatter has support of a majority of FIFA's 209 nations. But most of the world's best clubs, the strongest economies, and the most lucrative television audiences are in countries that want Blatter out
FIFA's $5.72 billion in revenue from 2011 to 2014 included $4.23 billion from last year's World Cup in Brazil — of which $2.43 billion was generated by television-rights sales and $1.58 billion from marketing agreements.
The majority of FIFA's money came from deals in Europe and the US, where governments — other than Russia — are pressing for reform.
Visa has threatened to "reassess our sponsorship" if changes are not made. The Coca-Cola Co. expressed concern, saying the controversy "tarnished the mission and ideals" of the World Cup.
"They do have tremendous leverage, but it remains to be seen whether they have legal grounds to abrogate their deals," said former CBS Sports President Neal Pilson, who runs a media-consulting firm.
UEFA President Michel Platini, the former French national team star, did not applaud Blatter after the election. He said before the vote UEFA would be "open to all options" if Blatter gained reelection, and UEFA will meet in Berlin ahead of the Champions League final on June 6.
Europe supplies 13 of the 32 teams for the World Cup (plus Russia as the host in 2018), and UEFA holds eight of the 25 voting seats on FIFA's executive committee. Blatter said after his victory that FIFA "must have a better representation of the confederations and the number of members" on the executive committee. "We need more respect for the Oceanian confederation," he added.
"The Solomon Islands are going to have a spot? But Germany, nah, not so much?" Ganis said. "Sepp Blatter can get 140 votes from the Trinidad and Tobagos of the world, these island nations whose FIFA representative is one of the wealthiest persons on the island in part because he's the FIFA representative. And he'll be able to hold onto power as long as he wants in part because of the voting process."
FIFA could be headed toward an internal fight, much as college sports in the US went through last year when the NCAA — the body that oversees competition — agreed to give its five-biggest conferences greater autonomy.

"FIFA World Cup" is trademarked, but if UEFA boycotts the tournament or breaks away from FIFA, and it is backed by the US and South America's top powers, the World Cup would be about as interesting as the African Cup of Nations or the Asian Cup.
Blatter downplayed the possibility.
"They need FIFA, and FIFA needs UEFA," he said Saturday.
But would television networks and sponsors pay all that money for an audience to watch 97th-ranked Malawi play No. 99 Qatar?
What if UEFA told European clubs — which have the best players from around the world — to ignore FIFA's regulations and refuse to release players to national teams for World Cup qualifiers?
"This isn't over by any means," England Football Association chairman Greg Dyke said.