watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

This business about buying a bit of the Thames

Started by win-dup, May 28, 2015, 09:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

win-dup

I would have thought it impossible to do so. What's the dimensions? Presumably the length of the proposed new Riverside, but how far out into the river? Who was it purchased from - the Port of London Authority, Thames Conservancy Board or the local council. How long have bits of the Thames been up for sale? Will the University boat race have to be started at Hammersmith bridge as we've ruined the Craven Steps bend? All sound highly unlikely and a bit Canute-like to me.

Craven Mad

I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but someone will own the Thames - likely the Council - so we'd probably have approached them with our plans and come to an arrangement to make changes to a very small section of the thames, but not from one side to the other.

Also, I doubt we properly "own" it. Most likely a specified use leasehold-style licence to make alterations to a very small section within something like a metre stretch into the river across the boundary of our property.

It makes sense that private individuals/companies could buy (for specified uses) portions of the thames, for things like Mooring points etc for marinas. But if you're thinking we own a whole section of the thames (from one side to the other), I'd highly doubt that would be possible to do.

SadOldGit

Quote from: win-dup on May 28, 2015, 09:26:12 AM
I would have thought it impossible to do so. What's the dimensions? Presumably the length of the proposed new Riverside, but how far out into the river? Who was it purchased from - the Port of London Authority, Thames Conservancy Board or the local council. How long have bits of the Thames been up for sale? Will the University boat race have to be started at Hammersmith bridge as we've ruined the Craven Steps bend? All sound highly unlikely and a bit Canute-like to me.

How does that work?  By the time you've bought it, it's moved along a couple of miles!

haynesfan

It might take the form of an overhanging agreement for the Thames path and for any parts of the new stand that extend over the river.

alfie

Quote from: SadOldGit on May 28, 2015, 09:59:48 AM

How does that work?  By the time you've bought it, it's moved along a couple of miles!

you are correct but it does come back
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Forever Fulham

This is really interesting.  Here's an informative article about air space rights licensing over navigable waterways.  In New York City, they have built these huge piers out over the river, and my son routinely played football/soccer on one of them.  He watched Thierry Henry play there once.  They are very wide (not what you immediately think of when you see the word "pier").  Some house giant domed tennis facilities.  Some are converted into parks with grass.  They bring in tons of soil and sod.  There are entertainment venues built there.  Restaurants.  London, like New York, is congested with little available open space for expansion plans (other than going vertical).  So rivers become low hanging fruit to developers.  Look at this link:  http://ny.curbed.com/tags/hudson-river-park  So, I think it only makes sense for Khan to look to the river to expand.  Didn't he do that somewhat with the Jaguars in Jacksonville?  That's probably where they got the idea...  If anyone has any details, please post them. 

fulhamben

Quote from: Forever Fulham on May 29, 2015, 12:13:06 AM
This is really interesting.  Here's an informative article about air space rights licensing over navigable waterways.  In New York City, they have built these huge piers out over the river, and my son routinely played football/soccer on one of them.  He watched Thierry Henry play there once.  They are very wide (not what you immediately think of when you see the word "pier").  Some house giant domed tennis facilities.  Some are converted into parks with grass.  They bring in tons of soil and sod.  There are entertainment venues built there.  Restaurants.  London, like New York, is congested with little available open space for expansion plans (other than going vertical).  So rivers become low hanging fruit to developers.  Look at this link:  http://ny.curbed.com/tags/hudson-river-park  So, I think it only makes sense for Khan to look to the river to expand.  Didn't he do that somewhat with the Jaguars in Jacksonville?  That's probably where they got the idea...  If anyone has any details, please post them. 

it was in the plans way before khan took over. we are only talking a couple of meters
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: alfie on May 28, 2015, 09:10:09 PM
Quote from: SadOldGit on May 28, 2015, 09:59:48 AM

you are correct but it does come back

064.gif