watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mccormack possibly leaving?

Started by robert, June 04, 2015, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

The problem with selling Ross for > 10 million to Norwich is that the funds are not going to come to us in a lump sum. It'll be an incentive laden deal just like ours was with Leeds. As people continue to mention, Ross has never played above the Championship. Norwich isn't going to pay that kind of money and just assume that he'll be a hit in the PL next season.

I don't see how we could possibly expect to immediately receive more than what we initially paid for him. And, my feeble memory puts that at about 5-6 million. Then the question becomes, can we replace 19 goals and 14 assists with that kind of money and still fill out the rest of our roster needs.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Craven Mad

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 05, 2015, 02:15:44 PM
The problem with selling Ross for > 10 million to Norwich is that the funds are not going to come to us in a lump sum. It'll be an incentive laden deal just like ours was with Leeds. As people continue to mention, Ross has never played above the Championship. Norwich isn't going to pay that kind of money and just assume that he'll be a hit in the PL next season.

I don't see how we could possibly expect to immediately receive more than what we initially paid for him. And, my feeble memory puts that at about 5-6 million. Then the question becomes, can we replace 19 goals and 14 assists with that kind of money and still fill out the rest of our roster needs.

Completely agree with the sentiment of your post, but most of the "sell" camp aren't saying we should sell Ross, but that we should consider selling Ross if the right deal comes along and (as I put in my post above) we are able to replace him satisfactorily.

If Norwich came along and offered £500k up front, £3m over the next 4 years and another £6m based on goals and appearances, even if all of it combined came to an ok amount, I think most on here would tell them to do one.

The only point you made that I did disagree with is: "I don't see how we could possibly expect to immediately receive more than what we initially paid for him". Ross has demonstrated the ability to fit into other sides, score consistently (over many seasons) and add a lot to any side with his workrate, so his value can't have dropped after the season he's had and it's not at all unrealistic to expect the same if not more than what we paid.

Kentish Gent

Easy to forget that you can never force a player to play if he is unhappy. And although Ross was an absolute star last season, you can imagine how he would feel if the club denied him a chance to play at the highest level, particularly at this stage of his career.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Craven Mad on June 05, 2015, 02:25:29 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 05, 2015, 02:15:44 PM

Completely agree with the sentiment of your post, but most of the "sell" camp aren't saying we should sell Ross, but that we should consider selling Ross if the right deal comes along and (as I put in my post above) we are able to replace him satisfactorily.

If Norwich came along and offered £500k up front, £3m over the next 4 years and another £6m based on goals and appearances, even if all of it combined came to an ok amount, I think most on here would tell them to do one.

The only point you made that I did disagree with is: "I don't see how we could possibly expect to immediately receive more than what we initially paid for him". Ross has demonstrated the ability to fit into other sides, score consistently (over many seasons) and add a lot to any side with his workrate, so his value can't have dropped after the season he's had and it's not at all unrealistic to expect the same if not more than what we paid.

My only aim with my comments was pointing out that we shouldn't be assuming that we'd get all, or probably even most of any large deal for Ross up front. So, this season we might be able to fund one decent sized transfer in from those moneys. I didn't honestly believe that too many wanted to get rid of him. He should be in contention to captain the team next season as far as I'm concerned.

I'd only point out to you that, though I believe that his value is likely the same as it was before he came to us, he is one season older with 40 more or so games on his legs

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Kentish Gent on June 05, 2015, 02:28:27 PM
Easy to forget that you can never force a player to play if he is unhappy. And although Ross was an absolute star last season, you can imagine how he would feel if the club denied him a chance to play at the highest level, particularly at this stage of his career.

I just don't buy into this way of thinking any longer. Fulham shouldn't be "required" to sell him to the PL just because there's a decent offer and it would make him a happy camper. He has a contract with us and should be happy that he's being paid, very handsomely, to play a game. Personally, I hope that he does want to play in the PL....with Fulham next season, and I wouldn't begrudge him making a desire to play there with another team if an offer came along....even this season. But, if the deal or the situation don't suit Fulham Football Club, then his professionalism should override any disappointment.

terryr

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on June 04, 2015, 03:53:53 PM
Didnt he state recently that he never been happier at a club.... 049:gif
He used to kiss the badge at Leeds every time he scored.......That didn't stop him jumping to Fulham when the time came.

fulham traveller

I really think Ross will go. And I expect this to happen, we sell Ross Norwich buy gale. We get hooper from Norwich

Wearethewhites

I thought it was strange to increase his current contract.. 3 years should have been enough to keep him at the Club, but 4 years with possible clauses written in means that we get maximum money for him.

If we're pushing for promotion, then he needs to be retained, but if a Premiership Club comes calling, then he may leave.

Lighthouse

I think the bigger question is, why is there this obsession to repost old threads? This one at least makes some sense and isn't over five years old.

We need a striker and if Ross goes we need two. Isn't going to happen unless a Prem club does indeed come in with a ten million plus bid. But I can't see many Fulham fans bothering to turn up if we take such a massive backward step without positive replacements. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Wearethewhites

Don't think we'll except anything less than 15 million.

Wearethewhites

terryr

Quote from: robert on June 04, 2015, 10:01:28 AM
So Russ might be moving on,but can anyone blame him?He has been one of the few who has shown any heart for us and personally I think we should wish him all the best if he does go.We are a pitiful team now and it will take a good few years to rebuild.If any other of our better players should be given the opportunity to move on give them there freedom to be part of a more entertaining club!!!
Since when is he going?
He signed a contract extension 3 weeks ago?

Lighthouse

Quote from: TerryR on August 30, 2015, 12:35:18 PM
Quote from: robert on June 04, 2015, 10:01:28 AM
So Russ might be moving on,but can anyone blame him?He has been one of the few who has shown any heart for us and personally I think we should wish him all the best if he does go.We are a pitiful team now and it will take a good few years to rebuild.If any other of our better players should be given the opportunity to move on give them there freedom to be part of a more entertaining club!!!
Since when is he going?
He signed a contract extension 3 weeks ago?

Look at the date this was posted.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Bill2

Quote from: Roberty on June 04, 2015, 10:20:56 AM
You can't keep a player if he wants to leave - even Manure had to let Ronaldo go

That is a fact of life and we are not going to be immune from it
Tell Roberto Martinez that even if one of the biggest clubs come knocking, which it isn't. It is too late to sell one of your best players. So the answer is a big NO and if anyone wants to buy him they need to come in with loads of cash early in any transfer window not a few days before it closes

Texas White

This is BS, lunacy if any truth in it.

glenhodgso

You know, we could probably get a proper midfielder for £10m.

Just saying...

VicHalomsLovechild

Quote from: Wearethewhites on August 30, 2015, 12:22:18 PM
I thought it was strange to increase his current contract.. 3 years should have been enough to keep him at the Club, but 4 years with possible clauses written in means that we get maximum money for him.

If we're pushing for promotion, then he needs to be retained, but if a Premiership Club comes calling, then he may leave.

Which at the very least was a smart move by the club. After losing players with hardly anything left on their contracts. Maybe the worm has turned and they are starting to protect (as far as is able) their assets.

Logicalman

Quote from: fulham traveller on August 30, 2015, 12:05:40 PM
I really think Ross will go. And I expect this to happen, we sell Ross Norwich buy gale. We get hooper from Norwich

I guess this is all due to Sheff Wednesdays recent interest? Perhaps they thought they could mug us with a 10M bid due to our poor start, well, in 24 hours we'll see I guess, but not for 10M, and I would hope for no less than 15, and preferably not at all.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Chutney

C O Y W

YankeeJim

Reversing the view a bit: why would a Prem Club spend 10-15 million for a 29 year old striker when none came after him when he was 28 and coming off his best season ever? Ross isn't going anywhere except to the playoffs with us this year.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.