Started by St Eve, June 12, 2015, 06:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

All the best Jimmy. Praying for a full recovery

malc

+1. Jimmy is a true legend of the game.

Fulham1959

HatterDon

With Gerd Mueller, he's the best natural scorer I've ever seen -- deadly in front of the box. Like Mueller, he was kind of one dimensional, but that's a hell of a dimension.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Nick Bateman

Jimmy Greaves wasn't only one of the best strikers/goal poachers around, but a very witty fellow as many saw on "Saint & Greavsie".

One wonders why Greaves was not involved in the media world subsequently to said show - his comic talent, one-liners and humour was the best.  So many of our former legends like Johnny Haynes not have had their characteristic qualities utilized - I heard Haynes on a recent show and the man was a natural for television, as was Greaves.

Glad to hear he is recovering.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

St Eve

Just imagine Haynes and Greaves on the same team - Fulham of course

bog

God news. Good luck Jimmy.

092.gif

grandad

Both Greaves & Haynes were cast aside by Alf Ramsay. Would we have still won the World Cup with them ?

Good luck Jimmy .
Where there's a will there's a wife

cmg

Excellent to hear of this development and hoping for continued improvement.

Quote from: St Eve on June 13, 2015, 02:37:56 AM
Just imagine Haynes and Greaves on the same team - Fulham of course

That was, unfortunately, not to be. But they were an absolutely potent force when they did play together (22 times as far as I can make out, with 22 goals for Greaves and 8 for Haynes). They were sensational the first time they played for the u23s together and reached a peak, probably, in the 9-3 demolition of Scotland.

millsy

Agreed. Best passer and best finisher I've ever seen.  Add Bobby Charlton, the best all-rounder ever and this was indeed , for me, the golden age!