Nfr - Who smokes?

Started by Sammyffc, June 14, 2015, 03:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

i dion't smoke
i never smoked
my dad did, my mum didn't
my sister did, i don't

most people i know that smoke would rather have never started.

it was known when i was a child the damage smoking did, and its smelly and dirty...smokers have a terrible aroma when they approach and if you go to a place where there are a group of them you can smell the smell of smoke on your clothes for days.

there is a small and vocal pro smoking lobby that try to defend the indefensible..smoking is bad for you and is actually a horrible addiction. by 2015 it should have died out.

jarv

Never. Trouble is, UK is a pub culture and I participated often so I was in the pub, full of smoke. Effectively, I was a smoker. I would like to know how many ciggies and evening in the pub equates to. Add smokers in the work place to that list.

I read a long time ago, a doctor was quoted saying that he can cure people of heroin addiction easier than nicotine addiction.

The national health is clearly in financial trouble. Make smokers pay more....increase the tax by about 10 fold, that will help. If smokers continue, or new smokers start, at least they will be making a contribution to society for their filthy habit.

King_Crud

Smoked for 10 years but quit 10 years ago, and I must have been lucky as once I got my mindset right quitting wasn't hard. One of my best mates smokes and we've talked about him quitting, but he says he really enjoy it. He'll never quit when that's how he thinks

Forever Fulham

I think the dangers of third hand smoke are becoming clearer and better known.  A Daily Mail article from 2014, citing some recent studies:

Third hand smoke that clings to walls and furniture could pose a more serious health threat to young children than passive smoking, a new study warns.

Researchers have found many of the 4,000 compounds in second hand smoke, which wafts through the air as a cigarette is smoked, can linger indoors long after a cigarette is stubbed out.

These substances can react with indoor pollutants such as ozone and nitrous acid, creating brand new compounds - some of which may be carcinogenic.

One residue - known as 'noxious residue' - remains on virtually all surfaces, including toys and other items toddlers may put in their mouths. The substance - called NNA - sticks to human DNA and can cause uncontrolled cell growth and the formation of cancerous tumours.

Dr Bo Hang, of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, found the residue NNA locks onto DNA to form what is known as a 'bulky adduct' - which is a piece of DNA bound to a cancer-causing chemical.

Other large compounds that attach to DNA tend to cause genetic mutations.  Dr Hang told an American Chemical Society meeting in Dallas: 'The best argument for instituting a ban on smoking indoors is actually third hand smoke.'

The biggest potential health risk is for babies and toddlers.  As they crawl and put their hands or toys in their mouths, they could touch, swallow or inhale compounds from third hand smoke.  Their small size and early developmental stage make them more vulnerable than adults to the effects of environmental hazards.

Although many public places prohibit smoking, Dr Hang said people can still smoke in most rental apartments and private residences, and smoking remains a huge public health issue.  Children are at most risk from third hand smoke - which sticks to DNA and can cause cancerous tumours - as, due to their small size, are more vulnerable to effects of the substance. 

So far, the best way to get rid of third hand smoke is by removing affected items, such as sofas and carpeting, as well as sealing and repainting walls, and sometimes even replacing contaminated wallboard.
Replacing furniture can be pricey, but Dr Hang said vacuuming and washing clothes, curtains and bedding can also help.

However, just as it took years to establish the cancer causing effects of first hand smoke, making the connection between third hand smoke or NNA and cancer could take a long time.  But early research into its nature, exposure and health effects is compelling enough a research consortium dedicated to investigating third-hand smoke was formed in California in 2010.

That helped fund Dr Hang's work on NNA induced DNA damage - which he said could eventually be used as biomarkers to identify people who have been exposed to third hand smoke.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2582248/Third-hand-smoke-sticky-brown-residue-smokers-walls-furniture-MORE-dangerous-children-passive-smoking-warn-experts.html#ixzz3dSTJlw8v
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

mikestrand

Quote from: grandad on June 14, 2015, 09:51:51 PM
I was a smoker from 15 to 68. Never more than a pack a day. 2 years ago I converted to e-cigarettes. How my health has improved. No cough,bad breath, smelly clothes or dirty ash trays.
The liquid I use is of a very low nicotine strength & is from a top quality supplier, not cheap Chinese questionable sources.
The only ingredients are Glycerol, Glycerine, natural fruit flavours & nicotine. There is nothing carceogenic in any of the ingredients.
The initial cost was €20 for the starter kit, The fluid costs €3 a bottle which lasts me 2 weeks. The replacable coil heads cost €2 & last me 4 weeks. Even here in Spain a pack of cigarettes cost €4 so my financial health has improved as well.
The governments of the World are starting to worry about the rise in people converting to Vaping as their revenue from tax & duty is slowly diminishing. The tobacco lobby are doing everything to put obsticles in the way of people like me.
The vapour is NOT smoke & is nothing more than ones breath in freezing temperatures. The anti smoking lobby say that it encourages youngsters to take up using e.cigs. In 2 years I have yet to see one.
All I know is the effect on my health & the Chinese gentleman who invented e-cigs should receive a Nobel prize for doing more to prevent lung cancer than anyone else.

:plus one:  I got pulled up in the Hammersmith end by a steward for having a puff of my E-cig, he said it encouraged other people to smoke, I said it wasn't smoke but he wouldn't have it.

Burt

Never smoked.

Two reasons - first, it was cool to do at school (along with sniffing tipex!) and I just refused to do what was cool and second, my sister did smoke and she smelt and was just pissing money away and the sensible in me just thought "what's the point?".

I am not rabid about it as I get the various reasons as to why people fall in to it an I get the fact that it's an addictive product and kicking something that you are hooked on is very difficult.

RaySmith

Quote from: TerryR on June 18, 2015, 11:40:18 AM
I smoke and I hate myself for it.
Once quit for 2 years and stupidly slid back into it again.
I want to quit but cant seem to make it stick.
I'm sure Ive pretty much fried my lungs after 20 years, though I havent suffered yet.
I know it is inevitable though.
Dont start unless you want a life of slavery

Don't beat yourself up - smoking is highly addictive, and very hard to give up.

But, you can give up if you really decide you're going to - if I did anyone can.

I'm not being smug or superior though - I was a confirmed smoker, who relied on cigarettes, thought I needed them, but I do think it's more a psychological thing than physical, though the physical addiction is definitely very strong, but you can beat it if you really want to, and you've given up previously anyway. You can give up again, and can stay off them with your past experience.

Just three days without cigarettes and you are already getting over the addiction, and each day gets easier. You don't need  cigarettes.

Best of luck to you, whatever you do. Don't beat yourself up - fags are incredibly addictive.

King_Crud

The mental change I had that I found helped was get rid of the thought of "giving up", it sounds like you're stopping yourself doing something you want to do. I started thinking of myself as a "non smoker" and thought that if most of the population gets by without ciggies than I can too

Forever Fulham

Studies have shown the physical craving ends around the seventh day.  After that, it's just the psychological addiction which is best described as the power of situational routine.  That's why experts suggest quitters who make it past the seventh day not to put themselves in places where they were most compelled by routine to smoke, where they are habituated (is that a word?) to smoke, like the pub, or where they feel insecure, or where emotions run high.  I suppose that's why they advise quitters to spend more time early on in places where they don't, as a matter of routine, tend to smoke, such as the bathtub, the gym, church, etc.  We are creatures of habit. 

blingo

Nicotine is 10 X more addictive than Heroin.
I started smoking when I was 8, gave up at 13 and started again at 15. Gave up at 43 (nearly 16 years ago) I don't knock people who smoke and I don't knock people who do not. It's their life and their choice. Have I touched a cigarette since I stopped? NO. BUT, I may have a cafe creme once a year and the same goes for the shisha (hubbly bubbly pipe). Next day im back to the normal non smoking me.

BalDrick

I started when I was 14/15 - it was the done thing at the boarding school I was at, either hang out with the borings or smoke and hang out with the cools/interestings. I'm now 47 and generally (though I do lapse from time to time) only smoke when I'm drinking. I admit though that I look forward to drinking so I can smoke.

Do I wish I'd never started? Not really.
Do I wish I'd given up long before I (kind of) did? Sometimes.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

bobbo

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on June 14, 2015, 04:55:24 PM
I smoked from 16 until 3.5 years ago (nearly 50 years)
When I stopped I was on 60/70 a day and smoked for the
England team  in the World Chain Smoking Championships.
I had 3 stents fitted 9 years ago and after another 'scare'
3.5 years ago during which 2 more stents were fitted by mistake.
It turned out that the pain was the onset of a hiatal hernia !
(which is well under control now)
I decided then that I owed the closest people in my life as much
more time with me as possible and stopped completely cold.
I took some patches for about a week, but it was purely willpower
that helped, which amazed me and everyone else.
I still get the occasional craving but it very quickly passes.

I never 'preach' to anyone, but I can assure everyone that if I can do it
anyone can.

Like it roger , me much the same as you found it very hard to stop i was an on off smoker but never more than 20 a day stopped dead in 1991, so me like you if we can do you ya'all can.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

snarks

Started smoking very young as my Grandma smoked, gave it up within a year apart from the odd sneaky puff, (maybe 1 cigarette every 2 years on average. Started with a shesha when a friend who lived in the middle east introduced me to it. Read about it and discovered 1 session was the same as smoking a hundred cigarettes.

Since then I haven't smoked anything, so about 4 -5 years ago now, and don't think I will again. I nagged my eldest daughter into quitting (which she has). My dad and my uncle both died of Lung cancer, my gran had breast cancer. My mum who has never smoked is in robust good health at 85. I take it as a lesson, and as Ms notsnarks is a decade younger than me, I want to spend time with her when we both retire.

King_Crud

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 19, 2015, 09:28:39 AM
I tend to smoke during sex, but nothing a bucket of cold water won't cure.

what do you do if your wife starts smoking? Use some lube

dannyboi-ffc

Never tried it and never will, I also couldn't be with a woman that smoked but luckily mine doesn't. It's just something that has never appealed to me and I have never been one to suffer from peer pressure. If I don't like something then I wont do it just to fit in. The smell also puts me off

I don't judge people that do smoke though, my Nan and Dad both smoke. Its up to the individual
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Peabody

Yes, I smoked from when finished Nationaol Service (I was 21) until March 1987.

I tried numerous times but failed. Then I read a book by Alan Carr (not the comedian) called the easy way to give up smoking and it worked, he basically says the it is easy, it is just the tobacco manufacturers who keep putting out the propagander that it is hard, plus a lot more but he makes so much sense that you just have to follow his advice. I was buying 60 a day, emptying my ashtray every two hours, to convince myself that I was not a heavy smoker. Sp, just before I started a late shift, I smoked a cigarette and told everyone that it was my last one and I can honestly say that I have never wanted another one since.

One last thing, Mr Carr did die of lung cancer, because, as he admitted that he was smoking a 100 a day and his theory's came to late for him.

King_Crud

Quote from: Peabody on June 20, 2015, 10:51:23 AM

I tried numerous times but failed. Then I read a book by Alan Carr (not the comedian) called the easy way to give up smoking and it worked, he basically says the it is easy, it is just the tobacco manufacturers who keep putting out the propagander that it is hard, plus a lot more but he makes so much sense that you just have to follow his advice. I was buying 60 a day, emptying my ashtray every two hours, to convince myself that I was not a heavy smoker. Sp, just before I started a late shift, I smoked a cigarette and told everyone that it was my last one and I can honestly say that I have never wanted another one since.

One last thing, Mr Carr did die of lung cancer, because, as he admitted that he was smoking a 100 a day and his theory's came to late for him.

that's the book that did it for me too, it's what made me realise that most of stopping smoking is in your head

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 19, 2015, 09:28:39 AM
I tend to smoke during sex, but nothing a bucket of cold water won't cure.
One or two a year can't be too harmful.

filham

Quote from: Peabody on June 20, 2015, 10:51:23 AM

A couple of friends of mine were finding it difficult to stop smoking so they resorted to seeing a hypnotist who promised he could cure them of the habit providing they really wanted to give up. After two visits costing £25 per visit he declared them cured.
All that was 25 years ago and they haven't touched a fag since.

Now today those two visits , no doubt, may cost you about £250 but it would still be tremendous value for money

Forever Fulham

I've never heard of Alan Carr.  But if his book worked for Peabody, why not share it with the rest of this board:

Allen Carr's Easyway: Our Online Bookstore

allencarr.com/category/Our-online-bookstore/

Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking ... Over 13 million Allen Carr's Easyway books have already been sold worldwide and that number is growing rapidly.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking - Amazon.com

www.amazon.com › ... › Smoking

Amazon.com, Inc.

'If you follow my instructions you will be a happy non-smoker for the rest of your life.' That's a strong claim from Allen Carr, but as the world's leading quit smoking ...