watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23.07.10)

Started by White Noise, July 22, 2010, 11:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/188659/Fulham-shift-focus-as-Ajax-cling-on-to-Jol

FULHAM SHIFT FOCUS AS AJAX CLING ON TO JOL  

Martin Jol's plans to take over at Fulham have been dashed by Ajax

Friday July 23,2010

By Matt Law 

FULHAM'S run to the Europa League final last season may prove a temptation to players and managers. But it seems the stock of the Cottagers is yet to rise sufficiently among the owners of rival clubs.

Because, when push came to shove, Ajax, who are proud of their history of producing players for the AC Milans and Real Madrids of this world, could not be seen to have their manager poached by London's fifth biggest club.

Fulham proved they could mix it with the major players under former boss Roy Hodgson and are rightly respected within the Premier League. But, despite progress in Europe, their image elsewhere is still one of a small, west London club.

Jol did not see it that way, having agreed in principle to a three-year contract worth £5million with Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh.

But the Ajax powerbrokers and, even more importantly, the Dutch football fans do. When it became clear that a clause in Jol's contract allowing him to return to the Premier League had expired, Fulham were powerless to force the issue and 54-year-old Jol did not want to be drawn into a messy resignation.

Even after announcing he would be staying with Ajax, Jol's frustration at not being allowed to succeed Hodgson at Fulham was clear. And suspicions he had used the Cottagers for his own purposes were quashed when Jol said: "It was unbelievable. I like Fulham, I like England, I like London. So I was probably a bit disappointed I had to say no, because the board don't want to let me go under any circumstances.

"Alistair Mackintosh was offering a good job at a good club with good, honest players. I was willing to go there but, as I said, I'm under contract. We spoke about it and not just for five minutes, for hours.

"It took a long time, which was probably not good for Ajax, because they are a big club with 1.5million fans in Holland. I had to tell Fulham I had to stay. All the problems, going to court, I didn't want that, because Ajax are too big to be put through that misery.

White Noise

Missing out on Martin Jol is a huge blow for Fulham.

He's a great manager who was so unlucky to get the sack at Spurs, did well at Hamburg and only missed out on the Dutch title by a point with Ajax last season despite finishing with an amazing goal difference of +86!

I'll never forget going to White Hart Lane with Blackburn in March 2006. Jol's team went 2-0 up but we pulled it back to 2-2 before Mido scored the winner.

At the final whistle, Jol made a beeline for me, wrapped me up in a massive hug and said, "You were a lion out there today". What a compliment - I just hope he wasn't talking about my barnet.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/robbie-savage/Robbie-Savage-column-Why-Nigel-Clough-made-me-and-Derby-team-mates-jump-off-a-cliff-and-why-Martin-Jol-is-a-huge-miss-for-Fulham-article533813.html#ixzz0uToMb9TM

White Noise

Gunners close in on Schwarzer

Published: Today

Add a comment (10) 

ARSENAL hope to complete the signing of Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer within a week.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has had a £2million deal rejected for Schwarzer, 37, but is set to up his offer to £3m.

And the Cottagers may be forced to do business as their quest for a manager continues - but the club were hoping for something nearer £4m.

Wenger has already told current Arsenal stoppers Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski that they are not first choice.

Schwarzer is also wanted at the Emirates as a player-coach.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3065349/Arsenal-close-in-on-Mark-Schwarzer.html#ixzz0uToy0mdQ

White Noise

Roy has one Kell of a plan

Published: 22 Jul 2010

Add a comment (5)

ROY HODGSON is ready to make his third signing of the summer by bringing Fulham goalkeeping coach Mike Kelly to Liverpool.

Kelly forged a close relationship with the new Liverpool boss during Hodgson's three-year stay at Craven Cottage.

And the former England goalkeeping coach played a major role behind the scenes in helping Fulham reach the Europa League Final last season.

Kelly brought out the best in Mark Schwarzer, who is currently being linked with a move to Arsenal.

Hodgson would love Kelly to have the same impact with Pepe Reina and bring through the other young keepers at Anfield.

The Kop side have already signed Joe Cole from Chelsea and Danny Wilson from Rangers.

But Philipp Degen has been told he can leave.

The Switzerland right-back has struggled since arriving in July 2008.

Hodgson said: "We had an amicable conversation with Philipp and he wants to play football. We won't stand in his way."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3063814/Roy-Hodgson-has-one-Kell-of-a-plan.html#ixzz0uTpWiZSb

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/755/europe/2010/07/22/2038088/pre-season-2010-halmstad-2-2-fulham-kilmarnock-2-2-blackpool-4-5-?
Pre-Season 2010: Halmstad 2-2 Fulham, Gera Brace Helps Cottagers To Draw

Two goals from Hungarian forward rescues West London pride...

A brace from Zoltan Gera helped Fulham to a 2-2 draw with Swedish side Halmstad.

Halmstad 2-2 Fulham

Fulham's caretaker manager Ray Lewington fielded a starting side which included eight players who participated in last season's UEFA Europa League Final.

The Whites took an early lead after just eight minutes when Zoltan Gera headed home Simon Davies' deflected shot.

Both sides enjoyed a plethora of chances early on, Fulham's Danny Murphy providing the source of inspiration for the visitors.

Halmstad currently sit 10th in the Swedish Allsvenskan and having already played one competitive game following their break in the season due to the World Cup, they looked the fresher of the two teams.

The home side levelled in the 24th minute, Fulham's goalkeeper David Stockdale was unable to gather a long-distance strike and the ball broke into the path of Joe Sise, who had the easy task of slotting the ball into an empty net.

Two minutes later the 20-year-old struck again and gave Halmstad the lead, Sise met an Anel Raskaj pass and smartly finished low past Stockdale.

The Fulham goalkeeper was called into action before the close of the first half, providing a fine reflex save from Marcus Olsson's strike.

Halmstad began the second half on the front foot and were unlucky not to add to their lead with Amir Kujovic hitting the bar with a strike from the edge of the area.

Damien Duff's lively play on the wing resulted in Fulham's equaliser in the 58th minute. The Irish international dribbled past Joalim Wrele and slid the ball to Gera, whose 20-yard drive could not be kept out by Karl-Johan Johnsson.

Fulham pushed for the win in the closing stages, the American striker Eddie Johnson forcing a fine save from the Halmstad keeper.

Fulham: Stockdale; Kelly, Baird, Hughes, Konchesky (Smith 62); Duff (Riise 70), Murphy (Dikgacoi 70), Greening, Davies (Elm 78); Gera, Zamora (E Johnson 70).

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22072010/58/premier-league-friendly-round-fulham-struggle-sweden.html?
Premier League - Friendly Round-up: Fulham struggle in Sweden

Zoltan Gera scored twice but it was not enough as Fulham were held to a 2-2 draw by Swedish side Halmstad on Thursday night.

A strong Fulham side included eight of the 11 who started the Europa League final, and things were going well when Gera headed home Simon Davies' cross in the eighth minute.

But at the other end, goalkeeper David Stockdale could not handle a shot from Emil Salomonsson and Joe Sise easily equalised in the 24th minute.

Moments later Sise struck again with a good finish to beat Stockdale and put the hosts ahead.

Yet Fulham levelled just before the hour mark when Damien Duff teed up Gera who fired home from 20 yards.

WhiteJC

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2010/07/23/cardiff-city-issue-hands-off-dave-jones-warning-to-fulham-91466-26912614/?
Cardiff City issue hands off Dave Jones warning to Fulham

CARDIFF CITY last night came out fighting over renewed speculation linking Dave Jones with Fulham.

The Bluebirds boss is said to be neck and neck with Sven- Goran Eriksson for the post, after Martin Jol chose yesterday to remain with Ajax.

Cardiff chief executive Gethin Jenkins insisted: "We've received no contact from Fulham at this point and I have spoken to Dave Jones and he tells me he has not been contacted either.

"Dave remains under contract at Cardiff and is preparing for the new season."

Despite City's insistence upon Jones going nowhere, he was being heavily linked with the Fulham job yesterday.

Jones, Eriksson, Mark Hughes, Alan Curbishley and USA World Cup boss Bob Bradley were the hot tips, according to bookmakers.

And Fulham legend and ex-Wales ace Gordon Davies reckons Jones is the man.

Davies, who earned 16 caps for Wales in the early 1980s and is still Fulham's record scorer with 178 goals, said: "Dave would be ideal if he comes to terms with the fact he was not the first choice of the Fulham board.

"He would fit perfectly into the whole set-up at Fulham.

"He has done very well at Cardiff and they were very unlucky not to have made it to the Premiership last season.

"He has also tasted the Premiership with Wolves.

"But here at Fulham there is money available for players.

"Although Dave is not an established Premiership manager, you only have to look at what Mark Hughes did at international level and on the back of that he went straight into the Premiership.

"Dave would inherit a mid-table side that has got so much talent, so it's not as if he's starting afresh and needs a clear out.

"Dave has a good track record and maybe this is the time to try his luck at the top level."

Jol set the cat amongst the pigeons yesterday by insisting he was remaining in Holland.

The Dutchman was the Cottagers' first choice to replace Roy Hodgson, who left for Liverpool at the start of this month, and it appeared a deal was close after talks between Jol and Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh.

But Ajax were not prepared to let the former Tottenham manager leave and he decided not to pursue the matter further.

Jol said: "I like Fulham, I like London, I like England, so I was a bit disappointed I had to say no because the board don't want me to go under any circumstances.

"We spoke about it for hours. These problems, going to court, I don't want that."

Jol has two years still to run on the contract he signed last summer after joining Ajax from Hamburg and that proved the decisive factor despite his desire to return to England and frustration with financial problems that have forced the Amsterdam club to sell players.

A Fulham statement read: "On Thursday morning, following talks with Ajax, the club can confirm that it has ceased negotiations for the release of Martin Jol from his contract with the Dutch club.

"Although Fulham had agreed personal terms with Martin Jol, Ajax were not willing to let him leave under any circumstances, and have held him to the terms of the contract he signed last summer.

"When Fulham commenced negotiations with Martin Jol, the club was informed an exit clause existed in his contract with Ajax.

"Subsequent negotiations revealed that the clause was not valid and Ajax remained steadfast in their desire to keep their manager, therefore dialogue between the two clubs has ended.

"Since Roy Hodgson indicated that he wanted to leave Fulham, a shortlist of potential managers was identified, and the club is committed to ensuring that the right candidate is brought on board to continue the club's progress, in the soonest timeframe possible."

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1276995.html?cid=rssfeed&att=
Fulham look at new options

Fulham will rethink their search for a new manager today after top target Martin Jol reluctantly agreed to stay at Ajax. The Cottagers had agreed terms with the former Tottenham boss but Ajax refused to let Jol leave, bringing negotiations to an abrupt halt.

It was a frustrating turn of events for both parties, with Jol keen on a move back to England and Fulham eager to get their man installed three weeks after Roy Hodgson left Craven Cottage for Liverpool. But chief executive Alistair Mackintosh must now go back to the drawing board and mull over targets that could include the likes of Cardiff boss Dave Jones, Alan Curbishley and Mark Hughes.

In a statement yesterday, Fulham pledged to appoint a new manager as soon as possible, saying on fulhamfc.com: "Following talks with Ajax, the club can confirm that it has ceased negotiations for the release of Martin Jol from his contract with the Dutch club. Although Fulham had agreed personal terms with Martin Jol, Ajax were not willing to allow him to leave under any circumstances, and have held him to the terms of the contract he signed last summer.

"Since Roy Hodgson indicated that he wanted to leave Fulham, a shortlist of potential managers was identified, and the club is committed to ensuring that the right candidate is brought on board to continue the club's progress, in the soonest timeframe possible. The chairman and CEO would also like to personally thank Ajax for their conduct throughout this very public process."

Interim manager
Ray Lewington remains in caretaker charge of Fulham, who are looking to build on the momentum achieved under Hodgson that saw them qualify for Europe for the first time and reach the UEFA Europa League final.

Jol, who led Spurs to fifth-placed finishes in 2006 and 2007 before being sacked the following season, has become frustrated by financial constraints at Ajax and made clear his desire to return to the Premier League. He told Sky Sports: "I like Fulham, I like London, I like England, so I was a bit disappointed I had to say no because the board don't want me to go under any circumstances.

"He (Mackintosh) was offering me a good job at a good club with good honest players. I was willing to go there but I'm on a contract. We spoke about it for hours. It took a long time, which was probably not good for Ajax, and I had to tell them (Fulham) I had to stay. All these problems, going to court, I don't want that."

Jol signed a three-year deal with Ajax on his arrival from Hamburg last summer and led the Amsterdam club to second place in the Eredivisie behind Steve McClaren's Twente Enschede. But Marko Pantelic and Dennis Rommedahl have already been sold and there has been speculation star names Maarten Stekelenburg, Luis Suarez and Gregory van der Wiel are also on their way out.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/PreSeason/HalmstadAway.aspx
Halmstad 2 - Fulham 2

Fulham were held to a 2-2 draw by Swedish battlers Halmstad on Thursday evening, with the Whites unable to add to Zoltan Gera's double strike.

Caretaker manager Ray Lewington fielded a strong starting line-up, with eight of those involved in last season's UEFA Europa League Final.

Back on European shores for the first time since that memorable night in Hamburg, the Whites started positively in an attempt to build upon their impressive pre-season form.

Play that was rewarded with a goal after just eight minutes, with last year's Player of the Season, Zoltan Gera, and heading in Simon Davies' deflected shot following some clever play from Bobby Zamora.

Fulham certainly dominated the early proceedings with Danny Murphy looking sharp; the captain dictating the play and probing balls in to the final third.

Zamora lost his marker before being denied by a brave tackle from Halmstads captain Johnny Lundberg from one such pass, while Davies forced Karl-Johan Johnsson into a decent low save, again from some positive play from our skipper.

At the other end, Halmstads did have their moments, with Emil Salomonsson blasting a free-kick into the Fulham wall and Marcus Olsson thwarted superbly by a last ditch intervention from Stephen Kelly.

Tenth in the Swedish Allsvenskan and one competitive game back from a summer break during the World Cup, the hosts by no means looked a push over; with competitiveness and determination coursing through their play.

And it was from such endeavour that the home side levelled, with David Stockdale spilling Salomonsson's strike from distance into the path of Joe Sise, who gladly accepted the invitation by lifting the ball into an empty net on 24 minutes.

The 20-year-old showed his attacking prowess again moments later, ghosting on to Anel Raskaj's slipped pass to finish low and to the left of Stockdale to give Halmstads the lead.

Sise then turned creator, skilfully slipping the attention of Aaron Hughes before dinking the ball into the path of Olsson, who forced a fine reflex save from the Fulham shot-stopper with an angled drive from the left.

Fulham closed the half to a hopeful appeal for a spot-kick when Zamora went down under Tomas Zvirgzdauskas's challenge. The Whites certainly had their moments, with further goals expected after the interval.

But it was the hosts that came out racing, with Amir Kujovic rattling the Fulham bar with a swerving strike from the edge of the box and Alexander Prent firing wide with a volley.

Seeing more of the ball, Damien Duff did break down the right, and his pin-point delivery was met by Zamora's timely conviction, unfortunately Johnsson had read the striker's header well, claiming the ball with confidence.

Duff then jinked his way passed Joalim Wrele to roll the ball to Gera, and the Hungarian showed his goal-scoring ability once more, crashing in with a splendid 20-yard strike on 58 minutes.

As Halmstads pushed to take the advantage once more, Stockdale made two brave claims under pressure, while Chris Baird denied the taller Kujovic with an impressive leap.

One of four substitutes midway through the second half, Bjørn Helge Riise did well to move Johnsson into a fine save, with the Norwegian creating space with a clever twist and strike.

The vocal travelling Fulham faithful, including many of our friends from Scandinavia, urged the Whites forward for a third with Gera almost squeezing the ball through the hosts' defence to find Eddie Johnson.

Fulham's fifth substitute David Elm received a warm welcome from his fellow countrymen, before Riise teased a free-kick in to the box from the left, with Baird glazing his resulting header narrowly over the crossbar.

Entering the final 10 minutes, Fulham were certainly on top, and could well have re-taken the lead when Johnson met Riise's fantastic threaded pass and forced a superb diving save from Johnsson.

Elm broke from deep and carried the ball in sight of the Halmstads' goal, but the Swedish striker could only find the arms of the hosts' 'keeper.

That was the last of the real chances for either side as referee Martin Olsson drew a close on an entertaining contest. The result wasn't what the Whites had hoped, but nonetheless this was a work out that will no doubt serve them well.

Fulham: Stockdale; Kelly, Baird, Hughes, Konchesky (Smith 62); Duff (Riise 70), Murphy (Dikgacoi 70), Greening, Davies (Elm 78); Gera, Zamora (E.Johnson 70).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/1011/PreSeason/HalmstadAway.aspx#ixzz0uUGbAsOr

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/RayonHalmsted.aspx?
Lewington's View

Caretaker Manager Ray Lewington praised Fulham's latest pre-season performance, after the Whites were held to a hard-fought draw in their opening game in Sweden on Thursday night.

Zoltan Gera put the Whites in front after just eight minutes, before Halmstad levelled and then took the lead themselves. The Hungarian forward netted again in the second half to give Lewington's charges a deserved equaliser.

"I was very pleased with our lads, because this was a big test. It was a cracking game and three weeks into pre-season, this was the ideal challenge for us.

"In terms of chances we had quite a few and when looking at the possession we had more – but that's a result of how we play.

"They [Halmstad] played very well. If I'm honest, I thought they were perhaps the better side. They showed a lot of energy, particularly in the first half.

"We expected a tough game and we got that. Whenever you play Swedish teams they're always very good – that's one of the reasons we came out here. They're not about individuals, they are about everyone working for each other, which is how it should be."

Lewington and the team arrived in Scandinavia on Monday, with Thursday's match the first of two games against Swedish opposition.

"We're in Sweden for 10 days, and I have to say we are really enjoying the experience. The facilities are brilliant, and the whole trip so far has been perfect for what we need.

"We're still reasonably short on fitness and we did look tired in spells, but that is to be expected. All in all I think we played very well.

"The players have said that they feel good, which is great to hear and it shows that the work they are doing is having an impact. This stage of the season is very tough for them, and on top of games like this, they're also putting in a lot of work off the pitch."

Fulham take on Malmo on Tuesday, before facing Portsmouth on Saturday 31st July and then Werder Bremen at Craven Cottage on Saturday August 7th for the last of their pre-season fixtures.

"We have a few weeks now until our first league game and we're certainly going in the right direction. The players have trained exceptionally well and it's been very positive so far. But this is a terrific bunch of players both in terms of work and ability."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/RayonHalmsted.aspx?#ixzz0uUl4E3Ux

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/DikgacoiHalmsted.aspx
More To Come

Kagisho Dikgacoi was back in action for Fulham on Thursday night after returning from South Africa and the all-action midfielder is now hoping to win a permanent place in the heart of Fulham's midfield.

"This was my first game back having been away during the World Cup, and I have to say it was a good work out for me. I came on in the second half, and it's all about gradually working your way back.

"Halmstad were a good side, and they made us work very hard. They didn't give us a lot of time on the ball, and I think they should be given a lot of credit.

"That said, we perhaps did enough to secure a win, but at the end of the day, these games are all about building up our fitness and making sure we are in good shape.

"Pre-season is always difficult, but it's the time when you prepare for the season ahead. I'm looking forward to a new season, and hopefully I can play my part.

"Last year was my first in England and of course, for Fulham and it was a good one for me – I learned a lot.

"The Club have many top midfielders and I think in the games that I played in I did well, but there is more to come. There are three more pre-season games before the season starts and that is plenty of time to show what I can do."

Dikgacoi enjoyed some memorable moments at the 2010 World Cup Finals with hosts South Africa and the experience is certainly something the midfielder will cherish forever, as he looks ahead to another exciting season at the Cottage.

"As one of six players to be away with our respective countries at the World Cup, we are a little bit behind the others, but we'll catch up as we're definitely being put through our paces. This is a very fit group of players.

"Obviously being part of the World Cup was an incredible experience for me, what with it being held in my homeland South Africa. I think as a country and a continent we did the world of football proud.

"Every player that is lucky enough to play in such a big tournament feels proud and I am no different. It is the highlight of my career.

"But the World Cup is over now, and the main focus is Fulham and doing all I can for my club. As I have said, last season was a good one for me, but I want to push on further and be part of another successful year.

"This is a great club, with a great group of players and I feel that we can achieve a lot together. We'll do all we can to make sure that happens."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/DikgacoiHalmsted.aspx#ixzz0uUlONsWl

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/GreeningHalmsted.aspx
First Class

Jonathan Greening was in positive mood on Friday morning following Thursday night pre-season draw against Halmsted.

The midfielder reported that Fulham's training camp in Sweden is proving a success as the Team prepare themselves for the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season.

"It's good to be back and involved with the team again, and the pre-season programme is going very well. We've had some very positive sessions and a very good game of football on Thursday night. It's all money in the bank as they say.

"The new season is fast approaching and I have to say the players are feeling confident about what lies ahead. Obviously there will be a new manager at some point, and of course it would be nice to know who exactly that will be, I wouldn't say it has been a problem. This is an experienced group of players and at some point or other we've all gone through this before. It's part of football.

"Everyone starts off afresh and that's quite exciting. You never know exactly what will happen, and you have to try and impress again and make sure you're part of the new manager's plans. But Ray Lewington has been first class, as has the rest of the staff - the team is certainly in good hands.

"This is a crucial part of the season, and it's what we do now that really stands us in good stead for the rest of the campaign. Last season was a fantastic year for us, and we have every intention of making the forthcoming season another to be proud of. To reach the final of the UEFA Europa League in my first season at the Club was incredible and just being part of that magnificent run is something I will remember for the rest of my life."

Greening has now joined the Club on a permanent basis and following last year's European adventure the midfielder is hoping for success on the domestic front this coming season. 

"Obviously I have come in on a permanent deal now, and of course, I'm very happy about that. This is a great Club and I'm enjoying my football at Fulham - and long may that continue.

"We played a lot of games last year, and of course, that took its toll. Without Europe this season, there is more emphasis on the league, that's not saying there wasn't last year, but this is a season of domestic football now. The aim is to consolidate our position in the Barclays Premier League and once that is achieved we can then start thinking about finishing as high as possible.

"We want to keep progressing as a team and as a club, and that is important. We have an incredible amount of team spirit and that is vital - when you have that you can go far."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/GreeningHalmsted.aspx#ixzz0uUlfumgz

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-turn-eriksson-after-jol-rejection-992991?
Fulham turn to Eriksson after Jol rejection

Fulham are turning to Sven Goran Eriksson as their new manager.

The Daily Mail says Fulham are turning to Eriksson to fill their managerial vacancy after they missed out on securing Martin Jol by 72 hours.

The former England and Manchester City boss is Fulham's first-choice option after the expiry of a break clause in Jol's contract brought an abrupt end to their interest in the Ajax chief.

Fulham's hierarchy were forced to admit defeat in their pursuit of Jol after the Amsterdam club stood firm in their refusal to allow the former Spurs boss to quit.

With the start of the Barclays Premier League season just three weeks away, Fulham have wasted little time moving on and the Swede will now be approached to replace Roy Hodgson.

Eriksson does have significant support at the club and it is understood owner Mohamed Al Fayed and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh were originally split on who should take over.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/?p=7418
Gera at the double as Halmstad hold Fulham
by DAN on JULY 23, 2010

There's a tendency to be a bit down at the moment. No manager, a wretchedly poor performance and drawing with a side that hardly lit up the allsvenskan last season might suggest that the glass was only half full. But, when you remind yourself that this is still pre-season and with our World Cup contingent still recovering from their African odyssey, there's plenty of time for Ray Lewington to put things right.

Lewington, who could be in charge at Craven Cottage for longer that he expected after the botched attempt to lure Martin Jol from Ajax, started with a strong side in Sweden last night and Fulham went in front after only eight minutes when Zoltan Gera reacted quickest to nod home a deflected effort from Simon Davies.

Fulham kept the ball well in the early stages, with Danny Murphy looking a little sharper than in his previous outing at Bournemouth, but gradually the sharper fitness of the hosts, who have already played a competitive league fixture, began to tell. Only an expertly-timed tackle from Stephen Kelly prevented Marcus Olsson from equalising.

The reprieve was merely temporary after an error from David Stockdale, whose failure to gather Emil Salomonsson's speculative shot, allowed Joe Sise to convert the simplest of close-range chances. Moments later and the Swedish side were ahead. Sise sprinted onto a defence-splitting ball from Anel Raskaj and confidently slotted past Stockdale. The 20-year-old was revelling in the chance to take on Premier League opposition and he might have had a third after tormenting Aaron Hughes on the edge of the box only for Stockdale to atone for his previous error with a fabulous reflex save.

Lewington made wholesale changes at half-time but Halmstad were now clearly in the ascendancy. Amir Kujovic saw his bending effort come back off the crossbar and Alexander Prunt volleyed wide.

Fulham did eventually stem the bleeding. Damien Duff, who had moments earlier fashioned a decent chance for Bobby Zamora, beat his man with a lovely bit of skill and cleverly rolled the ball across for Gera, who drove in his second of the evening from 20 yards. The times when the Hungarian was mocked by some of the Cottage faithful are long since past.

The Whites did have chances to win in after that, with Chris Baird heading over from a free-kick and late substitute David Elm failing to finish a one-on-one, but it would have had been hard on hearty Halmstad. Lewington will be hoping for some more of the cobwebs to have been blown away by the time Fulham face Malmo on Tuesday.

HALMSTAD (4-2-3-1): Malmqvist (K. Johnsson 45); Salomonsson (Miller 45), Zvirgzdauskas (Gustafsson 45), Lundberg (Jönsson 45), Järdler (Johansson 45); Raskaj (Saevarsson 45), Rosén (Wrele 45); Görlitz (Prent 45), Anselmo (Kujovic 45), Olsson (Bala 45; N. Johnsson 45); Sise (Baqaj 45).

GOALS: Sise (25, 30)

FULHAM (4-4-2): Stockdale, Kelly, Konchesky (Smith 62), Hughes, Baird; Murphy (Dikgacoi 70), Greening, Duff, Davies (Elm 78); Gera; Zamora (E. Johnson 70).

GOALS: Gera (9, 58).

REFEREE: Martin Olsson.

ATTENDANCE: 1,885

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7906055/Fulham-interest-Sven-Goran-Eriksson-but-no-contact-made-yet-insists-coachs-agent.html?
Fulham interest Sven Goran Eriksson but no contact made yet insists coach's agent
Athole Still, agent for former England and Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, has admitted his client could be tempted by the vacancy at Fulham but confirmed there had been no contact with the London club.

Eriksson has ''unfinished business'' in the Premier League following his sacking by City in 2008, according to Still.

And, asked if the Swede, now out of contract following the end of his contract with Ivory Coast, could be interested in a move to Fulham, Still said: ''It's a very attractive club, not just for Sven-Goran Eriksson. [But there has been] no contact whatsoever.

''We've know for several weeks that Sven was one of the managers under consideration for the job.

''[There has been] no interview, no discussion whatsoever.''

Still claimed Eriksson was treated badly by City because of a clash of personalities with then owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Swede was sacked by Shinawatra with City ninth in the table.

''Of course he has unfinished business there [the Premier League],'' said Still.

''He was in my view outrageously sacked from his position.

''He did a first-class job with Manchester City – it was a personal non-compatibility with Dr Shinawatra which caused him to be sacked. He should still be there.''

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6275527,00.html?
No Fulham approach for Sven
Cottagers yet to make their move for former England boss

Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent, Athole Still, has revealed that Fulham have yet to approach the Swede.

The former England and Manchester City boss is intrigued by the Craven Cottage post, believing he has 'unfinished business' in the Premier League.

He is also available at present, having parted company with Ivory Coast following this summer's World Cup.
Fulham are believed to be keen on the experienced coach, having missed out on top target Martin Jol - who has decided to stay at Ajax.
They are, however, yet to make their move and no discussions have been held with Eriksson or his representatives.

Still said: "It's a very attractive club, not just for Sven-Goran Eriksson."

But he added: "(There has been) no contact whatsoever.

Consideration

"We've known for several weeks that Sven was one of the managers under consideration for the job.

"(There has been) no interview, no discussion whatsoever."

Still claims Eriksson still feels aggrieved at the way he was treated at City, with a personality clash with then owner Thaksin Shinawatraleading to his dismissal in June 2008.

"Of course he has unfinished business there (the Premier League)," said Still.

"He was in my view outrageously sacked from his position.

"He did a first-class job with Manchester City - it was a personal non-compatibility with Dr Shinawatra which caused him to be sacked.

"He should still be there."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8848047.stm?
Sven-Goran Eriksson eyes Premier League return - agent

Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson, who has been linked with the Fulham job, has "unfinished business" in the Premier League, says his agent.

The Swede is the front runner to replace Roy Hodgson after Fulham's attempt to lure Martin Jol from Ajax ended in failure.

"It's a very attractive club, not just for Sven [but there has been] no contact whatsoever," said Athole Still.

"We've know for some weeks Sven's one of the managers under consideration."

Eriksson is unattached after taking charge of Ivory Coast at the World Cup, and is thought to be keen to return to England, where he was previously involved with Notts County and Manchester City.

606: DEBATE
Is it just me that gets the feeling that we're making a laughing stock of ourselves at the moment?
He-who-laughs-last

He was sacked as City boss in 2008 by then-owner Thaksin Shinawatra when the team were ninth in the Premier League, a decision Still claims had little to do with the team's performance on the pitch.

"He was in my view outrageously sacked from his position," he said.

"He did a first-class job with Manchester City - it was a personal non-compatibility with Dr Shinawatra which caused him to be sacked. He should still be there."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=205842
Fulham - A New Short-List!
I`m not sure if we are completely back to square one but I`m not sure we`re too far away!

After all would you be tempted to smile, keep your chin high in the air, accept a job that you knew was destined for Martin Jol but is now yours?

But the search must go in and with a week or so having been lost trying to secure a deal for Jol, time is off the essence.

The new season is fast approaching and the new man will need to get a grip of the situation with a degree of speed.

So with us back to square one, who now feature son the shortlist assembled by the media?

Well not surprisingly Sven Goran Eriksson tops most people`s list with the Ivory Coast job only a stop gap appointment the Swede could drive through a hard bargain!

Another on the list is the Cardiff City boss, Dave Jones. Well respected within the game Jones is said to be the choice of several of the key players within the squad. Having just failed to attain promotion with Cardiff City, via the play-off final, Jones could well look towards Craven Cottage as the ideal means to get back into the Premier League.

No list would be complete without the name of Mark Hughes Out of work since being ousted at Manchester City, Hughes could be the one to jump into the hot-seat. His record in the north-west, with City and Blackburn, shows that he has a good Premier League pedigree.

Ex-Hammer and the iconic Charlton boss, Alan Curbishley, also makes an appearance on the new shortlist. Out of work since his spat with West Ham, Curbishley could be a solid choice to steer the Fulham ship on its next managerial voyage.

Two outsiders bring the list to an end. First up is Bob Bradley, the coach of the USA, who would be a risky appointment having never managed in England let alone the Premier League followed by the recently deposed West Ham United boss, Gianfranco Zola.

Zola had a torrid time at West Ham and although the experience will have served him well it might be a little too soon to jump straight back into the pressure cooker that is the Premier League.

My personal choice - I`d opt for Mark Hughes!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=205842#ixzz0uWQXM9un