Previous topic - Next topic

Vienna1

Other details:

Vienna: capital city of Austria in central Europe
Weather forecast: a prognosis by meteorologists

Lighthouse

Quote from: fulhamben on July 03, 2015, 10:34:22 PM
Quote from: Vienna1 on July 03, 2015, 08:55:13 PM
Forecast for Vienna for the next few days: 37 degrees..... Too much.
this means nothing to me

:005: The feeling has gone only you and I
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

this means nothing to me

I got it :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Holders

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on July 03, 2015, 11:59:32 PM
this means nothing to me

I got it :0)

Very clever - but thanks for the translation as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

No sympathy, 40+ every day and 30+ every night, with 95%+ humidity.  For around 5 months every year! Now that is what I call heat.  Not that I am complaining, I enjoy Dubai and still venture out onto  the golf course most weekends.

Forever Fulham

It seems the height of pig headedness that the U.S. is the last country to still cling to the Farenheit system for temperature.  Some things about this country make me shake my head.  Speaking of too hot, I'm in Portland, Oregon this week, visiting my son.   I love this place.  But they are suffering through some unusually hot weather right now.  Starts off at 57-62F in the morning and races up to the 90s by 5:30 p.m.  Let's see, °C = (T(°F) - 32) × 5/9.  14 C at dawn, then racing up to around 34 C.  That just doesn't happen in Portland.  When they went to C in Canada, people didn't bother with the 5/9ths business.  They just halved or doubled to get the translation.

Woolly Mammoth

I prefer the Farenheit system which I was brought up in England. 100 sounds warmer than 37 or whatever. As I prefer 6ft which tells you more about someone's height than dangly metres as opposed to the metric nonsense, I am 6ft 8 and a half and 20 stone 4 lbs. all rippling muscle, no tummy paunch even at my age, it's those sits ups and doggies. What's that in metric? No I don't want to know. I prefer English measurements like Yards miles and £ S d. Now I am getting carried away.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 04, 2015, 08:42:04 AM
I prefer the Farenheit system which I was brought up in England. 100 sounds warmer than 37 or whatever. As I prefer 6ft which tells you more about someone's height than dangly metres as opposed to the metric nonsense, I am 6ft 8 and a half and 20 stone 4 lbs. all rippling muscle, no tummy paunch even at my age, it's those sits ups and doggies. What's that in metric? No I don't want to know. I prefer English measurements like Yards miles and £ S d. Now I am getting carried away.
6 ft 8 ? does everyone who sits behind you get discounted restricted views tickets
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Vienna1

The "£ S d." System must have been challenging. But it was replaced in 1971, wasn't it? Many of the younger lads will not be familiar with it any more today. Today a shilling would only be 5p. You could phase out all pence coins...
Still, history is valuable. Forgotten too easily.

epsomraver

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 04, 2015, 08:23:47 AM
It seems the height of pig headedness that the U.S. is the last country to still cling to the Farenheit system for temperature.  Some things about this country make me shake my head.  Speaking of too hot, I'm in Portland, Oregon this week, visiting my son.   I love this place.  But they are suffering through some unusually hot weather right now.  Starts off at 57-62F in the morning and races up to the 90s by 5:30 p.m.  Let's see, °C = (T(°F) - 32) × 5/9.  14 C at dawn, then racing up to around 34 C.  That just doesn't happen in Portland.  When they went to C in Canada, people didn't bother with the 5/9ths business.  They just halved or doubled to get the translation.

That could be Grimm!    :005:

Forever Fulham

Do you get that show over there?  I guess that proves the point about the public's voracious consumption of content, any content.  My former supervisor is watching that Peaky Blinders series about the gang with the razors that goes around slashing people.  He says it's really good.

Twig

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 05, 2015, 05:17:44 PM
Do you get that show over there?  I guess that proves the point about the public's voracious consumption of content, any content.  My former supervisor is watching that Peaky Blinders series about the gang with the razors that goes around slashing people.  He says it's really good.

It's brilliant.  High production values, creative photography, some fascinating characters and great plot lines.

epsomraver

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 05, 2015, 05:17:44 PM
Peaky blinders is one of the best dramas the BBC have ever produced

jj____

I'm over it.  Super humid here in NYC.  Might as well bring backpack with a change of clothes to wherever you're getting to because you're going to be wet through by the time you get to where you need to be.

Blanco

Fahrenheit makes it sound hotter than it is. I see its cooled down in the UK now. I'm envious. I'm out working in 40 degree weather daily and it ain't going away.

TWFL

Quote from: leonffc on July 02, 2015, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: TWFL on July 02, 2015, 11:01:38 AM
Currently in North Germany and it hit 36 yesterday so I'm experiencing similar pain

Where abouts if you don't mind me asking?
Ah, sorry, just seen this. I was out by Paderborn. Returned this weekend though to the rain, a bittersweet moment..

Holders

Totally agree, WM, except perhaps about currency. You know where you are with English measurements. They've even stopped giving the translation with the weather forecast now. You have to remember that 16 is 61, 28 is 82 and guess the rest.

As a tradesman I have to order my materials in metric but on the job I use English or I risk making mistakes. You can easily visualise what 8 or 9" is but 24-29mm - I don't think so!

Napoleon Bonaparte is to blame otherwise Europe and some other countries would drive on the left as well (much more logical). At least we have that left.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

fulhamben

Quote from: Holders on July 07, 2015, 06:59:16 AM

Totally agree, WM, except perhaps about currency. You know where you are with English measurements. They've even stopped giving the translation with the weather forecast now. You have to remember that 16 is 61, 28 is 82 and guess the rest.

As a tradesman I have to order my materials in metric but on the job I use English or I risk making mistakes. You can easily visualise what 8 or 9" is but 24-29mm - I don't think so!

Napoleon Bonaparte is to blame otherwise Europe and some other countries would drive on the left as well (much more logical). At least we have that left.
don't you mean 203.6 mm to 229mm as that would  be roughly 8 to 9 inches ;)
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

MartyFFC

I feel like I've just stepped into a gay sauna. Get a room fellas

King_Crud

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 07, 2015, 12:10:15 PM

I think under the circumstances I shall stick to inches and feet, it's easier and much more straight forward, you know where you stand, as opposed the metric.

100 x 1cm = 1m, 1000 x 1m = 1km. What's not to understand?

17.3 inches = 0.8 of a foot, but only on Tuesday, 184 feet = 1.7miles, June - September, otherwise 1.8miles the rest of the year. Have I got that right?