Main Menu

god its hot

Started by fulhamben, July 01, 2015, 11:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

Quote from: TWFL on July 07, 2015, 12:05:21 AM
Quote from: leonffc on July 02, 2015, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: TWFL on July 02, 2015, 11:01:38 AM
Currently in North Germany and it hit 36 yesterday so I'm experiencing similar pain

Where abouts if you don't mind me asking?
Ah, sorry, just seen this. I was out by Paderborn. Returned this weekend though to the rain, a bittersweet moment..

Id say that's more Mid Germany? I only asked as I work for a company based North of Hamburg.

blingo

7pm and 34 in the shade here.

Forever Fulham

Since we've segued to a discussion about old v. new measurement systems, and the steady encroach of soulless standardization, what's with the old fashioned English method of describing an athlete's weight?  Listing someone as "15 Stone" just looks ridiculous to a North American.  Driving on the left--no problem.  Metric system?  Don't like it but can understand the appeal for a system based on tens.  But Stone?  Just weird.

Holders

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 08, 2015, 02:04:43 AM
Since we've segued to a discussion about old v. new measurement systems, and the steady encroach of soulless standardization, what's with the old fashioned English method of describing an athlete's weight?  Listing someone as "15 Stone" just looks ridiculous to a North American.  Driving on the left--no problem.  Metric system?  Don't like it but can understand the appeal for a system based on tens.  But Stone?  Just weird.

15 stone is simply much easier to visualise than however many kilos it might be for those of us brought up on imperial measurements. The standard conversion of "1 kilo = 2.2lb" (a bag of sugar) is a bit clumsy to apply. 

A system based on 10s may well be more logical but all the terms are so similar and confusing it simply leads to mistakes - as happened at work yesterday when I was working with one of Bonaparte's disciples. I read off the tape and gave the measurement to him in metric as indicated by the figures (298 or whatever it was) and the bloke gave me 1/10th of the size required as he'd cut it in "mill" rather than what it said on the tape. It's a funny system that requires users to multiply the displayed measurement by 10 each time. Thereafter we worked in inches "26 and 15/16ths, please" is precise and unambiguous as well as being so easy to visualise you could almost cut it by eye.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

blingo

Quote from: Holders on July 08, 2015, 06:16:30 AM

15 stone is simply much easier to visualise than however many kilos it might be for those of us brought up on imperial measurements. The standard conversion of "1 kilo = 2.2lb" (a bag of sugar) is a bit clumsy to apply. 

A system based on 10s may well be more logical but all the terms are so similar and confusing it simply leads to mistakes - as happened at work yesterday when I was working with one of Bonaparte's disciples. I read off the tape and gave the measurement to him in metric as indicated by the figures (298 or whatever it was) and the bloke gave me 1/10th of the size required as he'd cut it in "mill" rather than what it said on the tape. It's a funny system that requires users to multiply the displayed measurement by 10 each time. Thereafter we worked in inches "26 and 15/16ths, please" is precise and unambiguous as well as being so easy to visualise you could almost cut it by eye.

And it's English and we are right lol.

fulhamben

Quote from: blingo on July 08, 2015, 10:26:27 AM

always work in mm as opposed to cm.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Holders

Quote from: fulhamben on July 08, 2015, 10:29:51 AM
Quote from: blingo on July 08, 2015, 10:26:27 AM

always work in mm as opposed to cm.

Except if you work on the continent where they invented this stuff they don't.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Vienna1

I think it's a matter of what you grew u with.
But I never had a problem with a pint in opposition to 500 ml
:021:

Fernhurst

4 o'clock in the morning time and the day begins.....

There's no air down here on the South coast and I'm wide awake with both windows open.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Forever Fulham

100F today in north Texas.  Hardly a cloud in the sky.  Humid, too.  Even the dog doesn't want to go out in it.  I had to plant an Esperanza  bush in the back yard and 30 minutes later I was drenched from sweat. And that's after waiting until dusk to get started.  I've got power attic vents set to go on at 105F.  They'll be running all night long for sure.  And this is considered a mild summer with that powerful El Nino current in the Pacific this year.