https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (04/07/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 04, 2015, 08:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Christensen 'close' to extending Fulham contract
by DAN on JULY 3, 2015

Fulham are reportedly very close to concluding a deal to extend Lasse Vigen Christensen's contract after his outstanding breakthrough season with the club.

The 20 year-old has two more years to run on his current deal at Craven Cottage and was one of Fulham's most impressive performances during a disappointing Championship campaign last term. Offered a regular spot in the first team once Kit Symons was promoted to replace Felix Magath at the helm, Christensen's energy, drive and eye for goal quickly helped him make a name for himself and Fulham's encouraging mid-season form tailed off once he was sidelined through persistent injuries.

The Danish midfielder made 25 appearances, scoring five goals, and contributing eight assists. His form was rewarded with a place in the Danish under-21 squad for the recent European Championships in Prague, where he was part of the side that reached the semi-finals. Christensen has been rumoured to be interesting a number of Premier League clubs – including Aston Villa and Tottenham – so the news that he is close to committing his future to Fulham is a real boost to the club.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/07/christensen-close-to-extending-fulham-contract/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 5-a-side Results

Fulham's ultimate 5-a-side team, as voted for by Whites supporters, is: Van der Sar, Hangeland, Best, Haynes, Saha.

Edwin van der Sar

With more than three times as many votes as closest rival Mark Schwarzer, the big Dutchman comfortably takes the goalie gloves in Fulham's 5-a-side team. Jean Tigana pulled off something of a coup when he convinced EVDS to swap Juventus for Craven Cottage in the summer of 2001, and the goalkeeper went on to play a significant role in Fulham establishing themselves in the top flight.

Brede Hangeland

After signing for the Club in January 2008, Brede Hangeland soon established himself as one of the best defenders in the country as he and Fulham enjoyed remarkable success – notably a seventh place Premier League finish and a trip to Hamburg for the 2010 UEFA Europa League Final. The giant centre-back played 272 times for the Whites, and just pipped World Cup winning centre-back Bobby Moore to the defensive position in our 5-a-side team.

George Best

He may not have been in his prime during his 47-game stint at the Cottage in the 1970s, but nevertheless George Best is undoubtedly one of the greatest talents football has ever seen, and supporters who witnessed him don the white of Fulham can consider themselves very privileged indeed. It was a close call between Best and Clint Dempsey for that attacking midfield role in our 5-a-side team, but Bestie nabbed slightly more votes than our all-time record Premier League goal scorer.

Johnny Haynes

Nobody has even come close to matching Johnny Haynes' 658 Fulham appearances, and so it's hardly surprising that you've selected him to pull the strings in your ultimate 5-a-side team. The Maestro is generally considered to be our greatest ever player, with Pele once describing him as the best passer of the ball he'd ever seen. Danny Murphy was his closest rival for a 5-a-side midfield role, but Haynes ended up with around 100 more votes than the man who put the ball in the Pompey net.

Louis Saha

With pace, power and strength, Louis Saha appears to be a wise choice to lead the line in a Fulham 5-a-side team. The striker immediately became a fans' favourite following his arrival in London, netting 32 times in his debut season as Fulham won promotion to the top flight. His best ratio in the Premier League for the Whites came in the 2003/04 season when he scored 13 times in 21 games – form that saw him move for a record fee to Manchester United. He left having scored 64 goals for Fulham, 114 fewer than Gordon Davies who was his closest challenger for the striking role.

Substitutes:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/july/03/fulham-5-a-side-results?

WhiteJC

Fulham back in for Brentford centre back?
by DAN on JULY 3, 2015

The Daily Mirror are reporting that Fulham are preparing another bid for Brentford centre back James Tarkowski,

The Bees rebuffed Fulham's initial approach, which was reported to be around £1.75m, for the 22 year-old defender but the Whites are prepared to return with an improved offer after Brentford completed the signing of Danish defender Andreas Bjelland for a club record week earlier this week. Tarkowski was a virtual ever-present at Griffin Park last season as Brentford reached the Championship play-off semi-finals a year after being promoted from League One.

He made 38 appearances, chipping in with eight goals, and has been a first-team regular since joining Brentford from Oldham three years ago.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/07/fulham-back-in-for-brentford-centre-back/?

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with move for Bennett
by DAN on JULY 3, 2015

Fulham are considering a move for the Aston Villa full-back Joe Bennett, according to the Daily Mirror.

The 25 year-old's long-term future at Villa Park is up in the air as Villa boss Tim Sherwood mulls over entering the market for a left back as part of his summer squad rebuilding. Bennett, who joined Villa in a £3m deal from Middlesbrough in August 2012, spent last season on loan at Brighton and Hove Albion, where he made 41 first-team appearances, scoring one goal. He only has a year to run on his current contract with Villa.

The Rochdale born full-back, noted for his dribbling ability and attacking instincts, came through the ranks at Middlesbrough as a trainee and played 92 first-team games at the Riverside Stadium before moving to Villa. Kit Symons is looking for a new left-back to challenge academy graduate Sean Kavanagh for a senior place after Kostas Stafylidis returned to Bayer Leverkusen following the conclusion of his loan spell at Craven Cottage.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/07/fulham-linked-with-move-for-bennett/?

WhiteJC

Confirmed: Rangers snap up former Fulham and Crystal Palace keeper Wes Foderingham

RANGERS have snapped up Wes Foderingham on a free transfer.

The keeper has signed on a three-year deal with the option of a fourth.

He becomes Mark Warburton's third signing after Danny Wilson and Rob Kiernan.

Rangers, according to the Daily Record, also have Reece Wabara and Andy Halliday on trial.

Foderingham joins Rangers from Swindon after his contract expired.

The 24-year-old started his career at Fulham and also had a spell at Crystal Palace.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/588626/Glasgow-Rangers-transfer-news-Wes-Foderingham

WhiteJC

Why Full Back Richards Can Jazz up Fulham

The signing of Portuguese striker Eder from Braga has grabbed the Swansea City transfer headlines this week, but Garry Monk's summer clearout continued yesterday (Thursday) as full back Ashley 'Jazz' Richards joined Fulham for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old follows Alan Tate, David Cornell, Rory Donnelly, and Gerhard Tremmel out of the Liberty Stadium exit door, with Michu amongst the names also expected to leave before the opening Premier League game at Chelsea on August 8th.

The move signals the end of an eight year association between Richards and the Swans, but was an inevitable one given the former Welsh international's failure to ever land a regular first team place at the club.

Indeed, after signing professional forms for the Swans in 2009, following two years with the club's youth side, Richards only went on to make 39 league appearances in the six preceding seasons.

There will be some amongst the Liberty faithful who feel Richards was hard done by. Michael Laudrup saw enough in him to offer him a new contract in March 2013, but the longevity of Angel Rangel, plus the emergence of Neil Taylor and later Ben Davies, meant that the opportunity to impress on a long term basis never came.

Monk handed him 13 appearances during the 2014/2015 campaign, but a costly late error at home to Tottenham Hotspur in December, and a difficult 90 minutes against Man City in May, suggested his Premiership career was running on borrowed time.

Many cited a frailty and lack of confidence, perhaps understandable after playing a bit part role at the club for so long, as factors that made him unreliable.

But there were plenty of competent displays in a Swansea shirt as well, and successful loan spells at Crystal Palace, who he helped win promotion from the Championship, Huddersfield Town, and his now new club Fulham, signified plenty of potential.

And such potential was seemingly fulfilled when Wales defeated Belgium 1-0 at the Cardiff City Stadium last month, as Richards produced a superb performance at right back, shackling one of the world's best in Edin Hazard.

The display sparked rumours of interest from other Premiership clubs, but ultimately, was not enough to secure him a stay in the top flight.

But it is possible the best may be yet to come from Richards. He is a rare commodity in that he can play on either flank, perhaps something that worked against him at the Liberty as he was branded a 'utility' defender all too often.

His move to Fulham represents a good signing from the Cottagers, and given a long run of first team action in the Championship, he may yet become the high class performer than Swansea fans long hoped he would.

http://swansfc.com/4924/full-back-richards-can-jazz-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Jazz thanks Swans following Fulham switch

. . . local lad Richards praises former club after exit

Jazz Richards has paid tribute to the Swans after leaving his hometown club to join Championship side Fulham.

The Wales international ended a long association with the Swans, for whom he made his debut in 2009, by joining the West London club on Thursday after agreeing a three-year deal.

Richards, who hails from the Brynmelyn area of Swansea, made over 50 appearances for the club in the Championship, domestic cups and the Europa League.

And the right-back was quick to thank staff, team-mates and supporters at the Swans following his exit from the club.

"The staff at Swansea have been great with me over the years. The players are a great bunch. They are good friends, not just team-mates," said Richards.

"The fans, too, have also been really supportive to me and I really appreciate that. There can be more pressure on you to deliver for your local club, but they got behind me and they can be the best fans to have when you're in need of a lift."

With the likes of Kyle Naughton, Angel Rangel and Dwight Tiendalli all battling for the right-back slot, Richards opted to join Fulham in pursuit of first-team football.

Having played 14 times for the Cottagers last season during a loan spell, he knows the quality within Kit Symons' squad.

And he feels his exit from the Swans comes at the right time.

"I'm a local lad and Swansea is my team, but I had to move on for the good of my career," added Richards.

"It was difficult for me playing a few games here and there, but I understand the competition for places that the manager has.

"I really wanted to show the supporters my true quality, but I feel that I gave everything for this club in every game that I played.

"I need to play regularly and that's why I had to leave. I believe I can blossom at Fulham – the club has everything needed to make a return to the Premier League.
"I learned a lot about the club during my time on loan there, and playing under Kit is something that I'm really looking forward to.

"I've experienced two Championship promotions already with the Swans and on loan at Crystal Palace – hopefully I can make it a third this season with Fulham.

"Earning promotion with Fulham and seeing Swansea succeed again would be perfect for me."

Of his time at the Liberty, Richards experienced some memorable moments, with two in particular standing out.

"Making my debut was such a proud moment for me. Running out at the Liberty for my home club was amazing," he added. "That was a real stand-out moment in my career

"I was part of the squad in the play-off final but didn't get on. In terms of playing, the other standout memory was the Capital One Cup win over Liverpool at Anfield. That was a brilliant night for the club and one I'll never forget."

Read more at http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/jazz-richards-thanks-swansea-city-after-fulham-switch-2524871.aspx#a1wXwoIP3Rug5DmO.99

WhiteJC

Sporting Lisbon and Fulham agree deal for Ruiz
by DAN on JULY 3, 2015

Fulham and Sporting Lisbon have reached an agreement over the transfer of attacking midfielder Bryan Ruiz, according to reports in the Portuguese press this afternoon.

A Bola is reporting that the two clubs have agreed a fee for a permanent transfer of the Costa Rican international, believed to be around  €2 million, and are now waiting on an indication from Ruiz as to whether he would be willing to make the move. Fulham extended the 29 year-old's contract at the end of last season in bid to prevent their playmaker from leaving for nothing, but were not seriously expecting to be able to keep hold of the player for the start of the second Championship campaign.

Ruiz, who starred as Costa Rica reached the quarter finals of the World Cup in Brazil two years ago, scored eight goals in 33 appearances for Fulham last season having been left out of the club's plans by former boss Felix Magath. He has previously spoken highly of a possible move to Sporting and missed out on a potential move to Levante during the January transfer window. Ruiz is currently preparing for the Gold Cup in Canada and the United States with Costa Rica.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/07/sporting-lisbon-and-fulham-agree-deal-for-ruiz/?

WhiteJC

Are Fulham set to go back in for Tarkowski?

Not that long ago, it was reported that Fulham made an enquiry, to Brentford, about signing James Tarkowski.

It is believed that Fulham made an offer, said to be in the region of £1.75 million, but the offer was rebuffed by our West London neighbours.

However, we`re wondering whether Fulham could be prepared to return with a higher offer on the table for the player who has been a virtual ever-present since joining from Oldham some three years ago.

Yesterday Brentford officially announced that they had paid a club record fee for the Danish defender Andreas Bjelland.

Now we may be wrong in assuming this, but we`re hanging our hats on our rivals in West London perhaps wanting to recoup some of the record fee they`ve just spent, or perhaps, if we`ve got it totally wrong, they want Bjelland to partner Tarkowski.

I guess another offer might reveal which option is more likely.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=404558#ixzz3eu9VrfNC

WhiteJC

How High Must Fulham Go?

Or is it time to simply walk away?

Two questions that emanate from an offer that Fulham Football Club have made for the Brighton and Hove Albion defender, Lewis Dunk.

After seeing an original offer of £2.5 million rejected out of hand not that long ago, it appears that in the last twenty-four hours Fulham had another bite at the cherry.

This time around Fulham are said to have offered the south-coast side £3 million for the defender who Kit Symons obviously feels will stiffen up a defence that just wasn`t good enough last season.

However, Brighton have, once again, rebuffed Fulham`s approach and it is believed that for any deal to even be discussed Brighton and Hove Albion want £5 million on the table.

Now whether Fulham are prepared to go that high remains to be seen, but my view is that Kit will be asked to look elsewhere for a cheaper option.

What are your feelings on the subject matter?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=404560#ixzz3eu9oSbYV

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rovers boss Gary Bowyer saddened to see Tom Cairney go

BLACKBURN Rovers boss Gary Bowyer admits he was saddened to lose Tom Cairney to Championship rivals Fulham.

But Bowyer accepts the 'reality' of why Rovers owners Venky's agreed to the shock sale of the fans' favourite.

He said: "It's a sad loss to lose Tom.

"He was a fantastic player, a great player for us, and a cracking lad from a really good family.

"We are disappointed he has left us but the offer on the table went to the owners and they accepted that.

"We have to move on now but what it shows you is the environment that we've got here and the work that we do here, it's producing players, and in this day and age we have to take the positives out of that.

"We're bringing in a player like Tom and the transfer fee that we paid for him and the transfer fee that we sold him for is nowhere near the same. The mark-up is unbelievable from the club. So from that point of view, that's good business.

"We don't want to have players who just take money out of the club and have no saleable assets to us."

Rovers, who are under a Financial Fair Play embargo and are going into their final season of Premier League parachute payments, stand to receive a fee in excess of £3.5m for Cairney.

That represents a significant profit on the £600,000 they paid Hull City for the midfielder's services 18 months ago.

But asked whether he thought it was a good idea to sell Cairney, who was voted player of the year and won a goal of the season award in his two years at Rovers, Bowyer said: "Selling any of your players is never a good idea, especially if they're your good ones.

"But we're aware of the situation that we're in, especially now with the embargo, but the owners have shown before that it has to be a good bid, and if it's not a bid that meets their valuation, it just doesn't happen.

"Unfortunately now Tom's gone, we've got to move on and find the next one and work very hard to bring them in and make them better.

"The reality is, I suppose, is that eventually one of them then will go. We have to face reality."

But so far the Premier League new boys have failed to meet the price tag placed on the striker's head by Venky's.

Gestede returned to training alongside his Rovers team-mates this week and Bowyer said: "From a personal point of view I'd love it if we started the season with him. Like I said, you never want to lose any of your players.

"But, again, the owners are clear that their valuation will have to be met for any players, including Rudy.

"He's come back, he's not in bad shape at all, and he's just getting on with it, as I expected."

Asked whether he expected Gestede to go, Bowyer said: "In all honesty I hope he doesn't.

"That's me but if somebody meets the asking price that's clearly out of my hands."

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13370567.Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_saddened_to_see_Tom_Cairney_go/?ref=mac