watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Old one day cricket

Started by BedsFFC, July 10, 2015, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Just working hard and found myself thinking how more runs are scored these days. I looked at the old Benson & Hedges cup.

My god. The biggest score ever in it was 5.3 runs an over.

Average was between 2 & 3 runs an over.

I was only a nipper but remember sitting in front of the TV and my grandad screaming at them to "Bloody whack it". Makes sense now

King_Crud

Yep, when I was growing up 200 runs was a good one day score, now they're getting 350+ for a good score.

The bats are much bigger now, and the grounds smaller. Growing up in Australia the fence used to be the boundary, so the MCG was huge. Now they use the ropes and every international ground is the size of the ground I play on in Barnes. Plus power plays, 2 balls etc, it's a different game for sure

cmg

So many things have changed, as KC has said.
On top of all this, I think, a change of attitude has had a big effect.
I remember Viv Richards seeming to rip England apart at the 1979 WC final at Lords, but he still wasn't scoring at one-a-ball (although Collis King did so). England (Boycs/Brearley) put on 129 for the first wicket...but they did so as if they were trying to save a 5 day test! It took them 38 (of 60) overs, admittedly against Roberts, Holding, Croft and Garner, and the match was effectively lost (subsequently losing 8 for not many didn't help).
Until this summer, when the penny finally dropped, England were about 5 years behind everyone else when it came to brisk scoring.

HatterDon

limited over cricket is to cricket what 5 a side is to football
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cmg

Quote from: HatterDon on July 10, 2015, 02:47:27 PM

...and I totally agree with you.

But ask a billion Indians and you might get a different answer.
In the words of Rod Tidwell, "Show me the money"

I'm watching (and greatly enjoying) the real thing as I write.

BedsFFC

Quote from: HatterDon on July 10, 2015, 02:47:27 PM
If young kids in this country played indoor 5 a side football, my god, we'd have great players.