watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why did Pat Roberts......

Started by Fernhurst, July 15, 2015, 10:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baszab

Just because he is wealthy doesn't mean he wants to ...or has to... bung even more dosh into a losing bottom-less pit of a company called FFC - much better to sell the stars, pocket the money and buy Championship hardened players to recoup his investment with  promotion

MJG

I really hate that saying.. Pocket the money.... Show where he has done that?

fulhamben

Quote from: Baszab on July 16, 2015, 10:27:28 PM
Just because he is wealthy doesn't mean he wants to ...or has to... bung even more dosh into a losing bottom-less pit of a company called FFC - much better to sell the stars, pocket the money and buy Championship hardened players to recoup his investment with  promotion
selling your stars and buying hardened championship players is more of a recipe for a prolonged stay in the division than it is for promotion success
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Baszab

"Pocket" as in ...sustainable /FPP etc etc - there has to be a limit or budget for everything surely ?

MJG

Of course but 'pocket'  is implying you think he's taking money out the club.

Jamie88

Just a thought - when we sold Smalling for £10 million in 2008, he had only but a few first team appearances to his name, so based on this shouldn't we be able to ask for a lot more for Roberts who is considered by many to be the best young English player in the country?

BestOfBrede

Quote from: fulhamben on July 16, 2015, 10:32:40 PM
Quote from: Baszab on July 16, 2015, 10:27:28 PM
selling your stars and buying hardened championship players is more of a recipe for a prolonged stay in the division than it is for promotion success
Well said Ben  :plus one:
...and even if we did get promotion with said 'hardened championship players', we would then have to go out and buy good standard premier players - possibly ones  we sold for peanuts! (relatively speaking)

Baszab

But then we could afford it with £150m TV money -- it's pain now for gain later

fulhamben

Quote from: Baszab on July 17, 2015, 06:48:09 PM
afford what?

fulhamben

yes but that pain as you call it, could prevent us from going up. selling your better players to raise funds for more squad players hardly ever works out

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: fulhamben on July 17, 2015, 06:53:00 PM
yes but that pain as you call it, could prevent us from going up. selling your better players to raise funds for more squad players hardly ever works out

But what makes you believe that we would sell a player like Roberts and then turn around and buy "squad" players? I'd hope that we all trust that our club would spend on players to improve the squad at a particular position and/or improve the academy ranks.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

aaronmcguigan

Is he one of our better players though? He's been thrown in here and there and looked average in a championship team. If he goes will it create a massive void? No, he could barely get into a team of which we have since improved upon.

Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a future superstar. He just doesn't belong in a championship or struggling premier team. With his runs and dribbles, they often amount to nothing, and a lot of teamwork needs to go into getting the best out of him, or throw him into a team of superstars like what happened Rooney. Everyone could see his potential, and being in a team full of superstars helped bring out the best in him.

RaySmith

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on July 18, 2015, 03:29:30 AM

Is he one of our better players though? He's been thrown in here and there and looked average in a championship team. If he goes will it create a massive void? No, he could barely get into a team of which we have since improved upon.

Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a future superstar. He just doesn't belong in a championship or struggling premier team. With his runs and dribbles, they often amount to nothing, and a lot of teamwork needs to go into getting the best out of him, or throw him into a team of superstars like what happened Rooney. Everyone could see his potential, and being in a team full of superstars helped bring out the best in him.

He doesn't have the strength physically, nor has he had the immediate impact on games, that Rooney had at a young age.

It seems agreed by Fulham staff, that he is a wonderful talent, but needs nurturing.

I trust Kit and  his coaching staff in their decision to use him sparingly in what was a Championship relegation scrap - I think they have far more experience in bringing young players on than I do - well, I don't have any!

If a top  Prem club buys him, which  seems very likely, then I think he will spend some time in the ranks before making a first team squad debut -if he even makes one before moving on.

hovewhite

Trouble is the kid wants to go,so let him and take the money.

cmg

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on July 18, 2015, 03:29:30 AM

Yes. I think you make the right point here. He was not able to force his way into a struggling side last year - perhaps because it was struggling and we could not afford to take any risks.

You think he is going to be a future superstar, I think he is going to be a future superstar. But some do not...and there are no guarantees. It's a gamble from both buyer and seller. When the stakes get high enough one side will blink, but the showdown, when the winners and the losers in the game will be known, won't be for a year or two yet.

The comparison with Rooney doesn't really work.
This was Wayne at 16   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yyfaXWLnV4.
He would have had no problem in getting served in any pub in Croxteth whereas even today at 18 Pat would have to wait outside with a packet of crisps.

FulhamStu

Roberts walks in 12 months unless he signs a new contract.  If he will not sign, we have no option but to sell him (unless we want to miss out on £5-10M !)

DevonFFC

I know pat is gifted but I haven't seen enough of him to say he will be a world beater and I think him moving to any top premises club now is basically going to put a very early end to what could be a good career. He will have no game time and if anyone arsenal are the team to go as wenger for all his faults does like a youngster of 11. Pat is light weight and could do with giving it 2 more years before thinking he is a world beater. You have to ask yourself is this pat or his agent deciding his fate?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk