watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Cecil RIP

Started by nose, July 29, 2015, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f321ffc

Walter Palmer is the moron who killed this wonderful animal, please Mr Palmer next time you feel the need to kill get yourself a gun and try this 090.gif

Link to Walter Palmer's Twitter, feel free to let him knw how you feel

https://mobile.twitter.com/search/?q=%23WalterPalmer&s=hash
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Mokes

Quote from: Domino 1879 on July 29, 2015, 01:31:04 PM
This asshole was not doing it to make money, just for his own sick pleasure.  Another example of how ignorant and self-obseesed the gun-toting members of American 'culture' are.

This is a bit of a harsh generalisation of " American culture". It's just the moronic red-neck republicans who are down with this kind of sh!t.  I'm not American, but I bet there are a lot more yanks outraged about this, than those that would support him.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: nose on July 29, 2015, 02:11:00 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 29, 2015, 01:50:05 PM
Quote from: Peabody on July 29, 2015, 01:45:24 PM
How can anyone justify this foul practice? The Hunters are incorrectly named, they are cowards, who are in no danger from their prey. As for hunting in this country, well, it may well have gone on for centuries but that surely does not make it right, an animal is targeted and then chased for hours by people who have nothing better to do with their time than persecute and torture deer or fox.

Well Said Sir...

we were in the cotswolds a year or so back and clearly there had been a hunt meeting and there were thousands of 'supporters'
they are very backward in the country it seems and think an attack on hunting is an attack on thither way of life. they think city dwellers cannot understand why country activities that have gone on for centuries should be intefered with.
I don't know if too much country air softens their brains, the whole thing was hideous.

Not all who live in the country support  it Nose,in fact
I know lots who oppose it.
And a lot at Hunts are actually townies who travel
to have there so called fun...

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: nose on July 29, 2015, 02:04:04 PM
Quote from: Oakeshott on July 29, 2015, 01:42:40 PM
Nose

As a matter of interest, in this context, ie shooting for pleasure, do you see a distinction between animals and birds? I don't, and within a couple of weeks hundreds of folk will be out shooting grouse etc.

I once went fishing with a friend (coincidentally a dentist) and was dismayed to find that where we went there was a kill what you catch policy - never went back there again.

Personally I think the current instance has been massively over-sentimentalised - the guy concerned may be richer than many who kill for pleasure and the lion may have had a name (not that he was any kind of pet), but I feel equally unhappy about the mass killing of game in the UK, or for that matter hunting foxes with hounds. Lighthouse is, I am sure, correct in saying that the number of foxes and badgers in the countryside need to be controlled, just like rats in town, but doing it professionally as a control matter is one thing - making it the focus of a day's "fun" is (for me) quite another.

in reply to your question i feel the same about birds fish and any other animal/creature that is killed for sport.

I actulally detest the way fish and crustaceans are treated... live lobsters in restaurants with thei claws tapped together is also a disgrace.

I am pleased this cat was personalised.. not because it belittles any other atrocity but because for the masses it brings home what is going on. if we named every animal and made them characters then perhaps the hunters may be hounded out of existence.

Hear hear.

Mokes

The only good thing to come to come out of this, is that this Walter Palmer idiot is being publicly disgraced. I honestly hope his livelihood gets completely ruined and made an example of. It's harsh but he really deserves it as there are several photos of him with other animals including a leopard and a rhino. Hopefully other people will see what has happened to him and think twice about booking their murder holiday to Africa.   

The ignorance in general will never stop though, there will be countless idiots who act outraged at this, but then go on holidays and get their photo taken with a sedated lion chained to a concrete slab, a snake that's had it's fangs ripped out of its head with a set of pliers or a gibbon who spends it's days looking cute in a nappy and its nights locked in a 1ft x 1 ft cage.

I'm in Dubrovnik at the minute and even here in one of the most beautiful places on the planet there is a queue of idiots lined up outside my hotel waiting to have their photo taken with poor Macaw that has been pulled around all day and forced to sit on thousands of shoulders in 35 degree heat. No one gives a .... that a south/central american bird has nothing to do with Croatia and that its just a gimmick that they will blindly pay money to perpetuate because everyone else is doing it, and they will get a nice photo out of it.

Enslaving animals is every bit as bad as poaching them and it needs to be condemned. It won't be though. Ricky Gervais and people like him will step in and slaughter them on twitter, red-necks will come back with their piss week rebuttals, the media will hype it for a day or two then everything will go back to the way it was.

jarv

His dental practice is shut today. Loads of people demonstrating outside and leaving small kiddies (cuddly) animals at the front door.

I know a few people here in America who do hunt....deer. They do it for food, either to sell or store in the freezer. I do eat it too, awesome meat actually. No apology for that

nose

Quote from: Mokes on July 29, 2015, 03:03:07 PM
The only good thing to come to come out of this, is that this Walter Palmer idiot is being publicly disgraced. I honestly hope his livelihood gets completely ruined and made an example of. It's harsh but he really deserves it as there are several photos of him with other animals including a leopard and a rhino. Hopefully other people will see what has happened to him and think twice about booking their murder holiday to Africa.   

The ignorance in general will never stop though, there will be countless idiots who act outraged at this, but then go on holidays and get their photo taken with a sedated lion chained to a concrete slab, a snake that's had it's fangs ripped out of its head with a set of pliers or a gibbon who spends it's days looking cute in a nappy and its nights locked in a 1ft x 1 ft cage.

I'm in Dubrovnik at the minute and even here in one of the most beautiful places on the planet there is a queue of idiots lined up outside my hotel waiting to have their photo taken with poor Macaw that has been pulled around all day and forced to sit on thousands of shoulders in 35 degree heat. No one gives a .... that a south/central american bird has nothing to do with Croatia and that its just a gimmick that they will blindly pay money to perpetuate because everyone else is doing it, and they will get a nice photo out of it.

Enslaving animals is every bit as bad as poaching them and it needs to be condemned. It won't be though. Ricky Gervais and people like him will step in and slaughter them on twitter, red-necks will come back with their piss week rebuttals, the media will hype it for a day or two then everything will go back to the way it was.

We shall see..... I suspect in the long run this may start a bit of a ground swell agaionst the american and brituish hunting lobby plus tthe insane american desire (well a few people anyway) to bear arms and then shoot each other on mass.

Somebody asked a few days ago what makes fulham special?
The answer could be that we may not agree about the manager, or ruiz, or tactics, but fundamentally we share common decent values!
I appreciate the comments that followed my OP

Fulham76

These sort of people are scum

dannyboi-ffc

I completely agree with you Nose. This is a disgrace and has sickened me for a long time.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

God The Mechanic

Quote from: nose on July 29, 2015, 03:09:49 PM
We shall see..... I suspect in the long run this may start a bit of a ground swell agaionst the american and brituish hunting lobby plus tthe insane american desire (well a few people anyway) to bear arms and then shoot each other on mass.

Lighthouse

Why the indignation and childish attacks on this bloke? Big game has been hunted for decades to the point where animals are becoming close to extinction. Where were all the brave name calling people then? The fact that we are so upset means I hope we will all join organisations to stop poaching and the transport of animal parts across borders.

This dentist is the tip of a very big pile of animal corpses. We must stop being brave and having a go at him and do something to stop ALL hunting. However we must also  understand that animals will need to be culled and controlled in some areas. Some animals will cease to exist as they are sometimes bred for the purpose of hunting. Wonder how many will forget about it once it is out of the news and their shock and disgust will move onto some other easy target?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

King_Crud

Quote from: Oakeshott on July 29, 2015, 01:42:40 PM
I once went fishing with a friend (coincidentally a dentist) and was dismayed to find that where we went there was a kill what you catch policy - never went back there again.

Out of curiosity, where were you fishing and what were you fishing for? Where I used to fish with my grandfather (country town in Australia) you caught Redfin for eating, and Carp for killing. It was the law that if you caught a Carp you killed it, as they were considered a pest fish.

Mokes

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 29, 2015, 03:31:39 PM
Why the indignation and childish attacks on this bloke? Big game has been hunted for decades to the point where animals are becoming close to extinction. Where were all the brave name calling people then? The fact that we are so upset means I hope we will all join organisations to stop poaching and the transport of animal parts across borders.

This dentist is the tip of a very big pile of animal corpses. We must stop being brave and having a go at him and do something to stop ALL hunting. However we must also  understand that animals will need to be culled and controlled in some areas. Some animals will cease to exist as they are sometimes bred for the purpose of hunting. Wonder how many will forget about it once it is out of the news and their shock and disgust will move onto some other easy target?

Not everyone has the cash to throw around and donate to countless charities. Back when I used to actually care about having a real job and living the suburban dream, I used to donate a fair amount of my money to charities that aided the fight against Dolphin culling. The life I lead now does not allow me any spare cash in my budget to donate to charities other than the ones my work automatically takes out of my wages. People protesting and mocking this guy is just. There is no indignation towards this guy and he deserves every bit of abuse he gets. Yes there is some childish crap being said on twitter, but that is the nature of the beast that is social media. Accountability is a massive step in stopping this. People care less about breaking laws then they do about being named and shamed.

The argument that big game hunting has been around for decades is as ridiculous as a Nick Bateman post. There is a lot of out dated sh!t that was once the norm but is now completely unacceptable.

Yes, the dentist is the tip of the Iceberg, yet it has to start somewhere. To not condemn this fool and do nothing would be a huge blow to the efforts of stopping this ridiculous blood sport. It might be bad luck for they guy to be hated around the world and be the face of a movement, but only he is responsible for his actions. I doubt anyone put a gun to his head and told him to "fly to Zimbabwe, lure a lion out of a protected sanctuary, mortally wound it with a crossbow, wait for it to bleed out then skin it." Whether he willed it or not, he has presented an opportunity to make an example of the scum that do this. It should be capitalised on.

Breeding for purpose hunting is ridiculous too, I understand breeding for slaughter, but at least those animals are (in general) given clean humane deaths. Breeding an animal to let it loose into the wild for some low life to take pot shots at, so they can get their jollies is barbaric. Shoot flying ceramic discs like they do in the olympics if you have a hard on for shooting guns at things.

As I mentioned in my other post on this, you're right, this will probably end up largely swept under the rug, but hopefully it stick in quite a few minds too and people will champion the cause whenever they can. This is the second time on this forum alone I have found myself arguing these sentiments (the other was against the "snake charmers" in Marrakech), and this is a football forum. In day to day life I am extremely vocal about these things. More so on animal cruelty in general, but it all comes under the same umbrella.

Nick Bateman

It is a sickening event and typical of an American who throws his money around to feed a depraved lifestyle which is encouraged by U.S. "culture", if they actually have any culture.  The only Yank who doesn't throw his money around is Khan.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Mokes on July 29, 2015, 04:27:28 PM
Why the indignation and childish attacks on this bloke? Big game has been hunted for decades

The argument that big game hunting has been around for decades is as ridiculous as a Nick Bateman post.

I was on your side until that bit....  :dft007:
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Mokes

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 29, 2015, 04:31:44 PM
Quote from: Mokes on July 29, 2015, 04:27:28 PM
Why the indignation and childish attacks on this bloke? Big game has been hunted for decades

The argument that big game hunting has been around for decades is as ridiculous as a Nick Bateman post.

I was on your side until that bit....  :dft007:

It's a fair point though.

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 29, 2015, 04:28:08 PM
It is a sickening event and typical of an American who throws his money around to feed a depraved lifestyle which is encouraged by U.S. "culture", if they actually have any culture.  The only Yank who doesn't throw his money around is Khan.

i.e this.

Oakeshott

"Out of curiosity, where were you fishing and what were you fishing for?"

It was at a lake near Latimer, in Buckinghamshire, I can't remember its name, where the fish were brown and rainbow trout.

My dentist - now retired - used to fish there almost every week, and in the waiting area of his practice premises were two stuffed trout that he and his son had caught, the latter's with an inscription giving the date and the statement "100th of the season".

Fishing is a tricky business for me. I enjoy it, use barbless hooks (and no live bait), don't use a keepnet and never kill what I catch, whether in the sea or freshwater. I doubt the fish enjoy being caught and returned, though.

Still, it is much the same with fish, poultry and meat from the supermarket. I'm not vegetarian and am looking forward to a grilled lemon sole tonight, but if I ever catch a lemon sole (which I haven't yet) I wouldn't kill it, any more than I'd kill a chicken, pig or cow. At (not too much) depth a double standard there, which I suppose is the case with many of us.

Mince n Tatties

Great post Mokes.
My wife always on to me that we would be
rich if I stopped donating to local rescue centres.
Cant stand cruelty,and Dentist Boy is right at the
top of the pile..
Hope some nutter pulls his teeth out with pliers..

ToodlesMcToot

First, I'll say that I hunt and I fish. I do it because I enjoy it and because I like to eat what I kill. I grow and kill vines of poor tomatoes, wretched green beans, and death deserving corn as well.  :028:

I don't condone trophy hunting/killing. I don't like idea of it.

I've read thru this thread and much of what I've read so far is akin to the kind of social media bullying/berating feeding frenzies that occur on Twitter and Facebook, et al. The attackers rarely consider little else beyond their own perspective and therefore attack pretty much blindly.

I can tell none of you painting people who are hunters with your broad strokes of "reprehensibility" have ever seen entire populations of whitetail deer who are malnourished, even deformed, because of over population and lack of food. I have. I can tell that none of these same people consider that here in The United States, at least, hunters are some of the best conservators and managers of animal populations and habitats in their home areas. I, my family and friends who hunt are.

Homo sapiens have hunted for meat since there were homo sapiens. It's in our nature to do so. It's just that big business has removed the business end of providing meat for most of us so that the production could be profited upon. I've seen quite a lot of the big business of meat production. The life of the birds grown to produce much of the chicken eaten in the world today is a far less humane thing than the life of Cecil the lion. I haven't seen one of you attack that.

I don't recall any one of you voicing support for hunters/hunting. So, I'll ask all of you who've commented in this thread so far, how many are vegan?

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Mince n Tatties

This has  nothing to do with what people eat.
This is about a guy who has paid money to go kill
and skin for fun,and not for the first time.
I think you are trying to make excuses for him..
By the way not a Vegan,but I'm a vegetarian,but this
thread isn't about the rights and wrongs of eating meat.