watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, August 02, 2015, 08:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I see Celtic are 1-50 to win the Scottish Premier. :doh: How exciting is that? 093.gif At least down here it could be one of 4.

092.gif

dannyboi-ffc

No offence to Scottish football, I have nothing against the Scots but I think Scottish football is the most pointless I have ever seen. Certainly the top division right now. They are basically all fighting for second and third place to get into Europe only to then be eliminated by someone from Azerbaijan or Bosnia. I can't remember the last time anyone other than Rangers or Celtic  qualified for an actual Euro tournament.

Ever watched a game on the TV when Celtic aren't playing and adding a glimpse of quality? I think league two is more entertaining and league one is a better standard! And they call that the Scottish Premier? I know it doesn't help having their best players playing in England but they are way off right now. 

Pointless
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Berserker

My husband is a Hearts supporter and I like going to Hearts matches when I'm in Edinburgh.  My 9 yr old nephew is going to a training course at thier academy this week and he is very excited about it as it's learning and playing football, although in truth he like's the big clubs of the world.  Where as his Dad and Sister like Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath as they live in Fife. OK it's not the same as the EPL but it's still football and thus enjoyable.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

bog

When you think of some of the great Scottish players in the past, Bremner, Law, Baxter, Mackay, Alex Young, Souness etc just what has happened up there? It used to be a good hunting ground for English clubs. Berksaker, good luck to the lad. 

092.gif

bog

Sorry that should be Berkserker! It's an age thing....

092.gif

jarv

Danny, Pointless is a bit harsh. Children are rarely seen playing and the irony is, when I visit home (the west of Scotland) from the train I can see there are much better facilities available these days. Lots of all weather surface pitches outside blocks of flats, even with nets INTACT. Don't often see kids playing on them. Scotland still has a lot of issues with crime and drugs. Add that to the obesity amongst kids today is part of the reason there are no more top players like Dalglish, Law, Bremner etc.

Sadly, the Scots Premier league is not much higher in standard than the Welsh premier league. They are entitled to call it that. Back in the sixties, I played in Sussex and the town of Crawley had a premier league. It's just a name to identify the top division, no matter what the standard is.

I am a Scot and it saddens me to see football in such a state but it is still entertaining to watch believe it or not.

Peabody

Did not Johnny Haynes support Hearts, when he lived in Scotland?

bog

That is right Peabody. In my area of Thanet there are just 3 sides running for next season in Saturday local football. A while back there were 40.

092.gif

jarv

back in the sixties in Crawley, there were 5 divisions in local Saturday league. 3 teams in the Sussex county league (a good standard) and of course  Crawley Town, non league then. Today, there is no such thing as the Crawley and district league.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: jarv on August 02, 2015, 01:22:20 PM
Danny, Pointless is a bit harsh. Children are rarely seen playing and the irony is, when I visit home (the west of Scotland) from the train I can see there are much better facilities available these days. Lots of all weather surface pitches outside blocks of flats, even with nets INTACT. Don't often see kids playing on them. Scotland still has a lot of issues with crime and drugs. Add that to the obesity amongst kids today is part of the reason there are no more top players like Dalglish, Law, Bremner etc.

Sadly, the Scots Premier league is not much higher in standard than the Welsh premier league. They are entitled to call it that. Back in the sixties, I played in Sussex and the town of Crawley had a premier league. It's just a name to identify the top division, no matter what the standard is.

I am a Scot and it saddens me to see football in such a state but it is still entertaining to watch believe it or not.

I didn't mean pointless based on what Scotland has done for the game. After all they produced England's biggest clubs greatest manager and greatest goalscorer and looking back have had good teams done the years at international level. Before my team but I am not foolish enough to knock it. Celtic and Rangers are also two massive clubs and only 7 or 8 in England can claim to be as big or bigger.

They also now have a decent national team and Strachan looks a good fit to bring back some good days. I do feel putting rivalry aside that Scotland should be qualifying for major tournaments and it would be great to see them do it just like I feel the same about all our home nations.

But Celtic being 1/50 to win the league outright is humiliating for what is supposed to be a competition and IMO makes the league pointless and pathetic. I got to the point where I felt the premier league was pointless for Fulham, what kind of goal is finishing 7th or 8th? But at least the premier league is filled with top talent and the entertainment value doesn't compare. Plus there are at least 3 or 4 teams with a chance of winning it and most of the time relegation/ champions goes to the wire.

I hope it improves for the sake of the Scottish people. Very Pationate  and loyal to their clubs and they deserve better.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging