more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (08/08/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 08, 2015, 08:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mitroglou out to seize Benfica chance

Domestic and continental success is on Kostas Mitroglou's mind following his loan move to Benfica.

Kostas Mitroglou is targeting a Primeira Liga defence as well as a good run in the UEFA Champions League after arriving at Benfica on a season-long loan.

The Greece international completed his move from Championship side Fulham on Thursday, having spent last term on loan at former club Olympiacos.

With the 27-year-old spending another season away from Craven Cottage, Mitroglou is eager to make the most of his chance with the Portuguese champions.

"It's a great club. I really enjoyed when I played here two years ago [for Olympiacos]," he told the club's official website.

"The fans are amazing, the show with the eagle - this was all on my mind. I know Benfica are the best team in Portugal and did not think twice when the opportunity arose. I knew immediately that was where I wanted to go.

"It is very important for me to play in the Champions League and be a national champion. And as I said, it is the largest team in Portugal. It is a challenge for me and I'm happy about it.

"Benfica are champions and we have to try to get far in the Champions League and Europe. I'm not nervous, of course it is difficult because it is a big club, but we should not be scared. "

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/mitroglou-out-seize-benfica-chance#hbfAHRxXmzWrkPyG.99

WhiteJC

Fulham boss sweats over new deal for Chelsea target

Whites offer contract to keeper

Kit Symons is praying lightning doesn't strike twice - and robs him of two Fulham talents in two months.

The manager revealed there have been talks with Marcus Bettinelli over a new deal, but the talented keeper has yet to put pen to paper - and he's in the last year of his current contract.

The shot-stopper was linked with a move to Chelsea before Blues decided to sign Asmir Begovic - and the manager breathed a temporary sigh of relief.

However, Symons was frustrated last month when Patrick Roberts was snaffled up by Manchester City for a fee rising to £11m.

Fulham got a great deal, but lost one of its bright prospects.

Now the gaffer hopes it won't be Bettinelli tempted by the open wallet of a Premier League giant.

The manager was at least consoled there has been no formal bid - yet.

"There's been talk, but we've not had a written offer from anyone," Symons said. "He's a good young keeper, and there will be interest in him, but this is the best place for Marcus to be.

"He's got a lot of developing for him to do. Some times younger players need to get loan experience, or they need a different pathway to make progress.

"Ideally, a League One loan would have suited him last season - but circumstances saw him get extensive Championship experience - a year earlier than he might have expected.

"It can be difficult to keep young players, and frustrating when they go.

"But I know how it works in football, and I need players who are committed to the club."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-sweats-over-new-9808112?

WhiteJC

Cardiff and Fulham 'can win promotion', says Kit Symons

Championship - Cardiff City v Fulham
Venue: Cardiff City Stadium Kick-off: 12:00 BST, 8 August
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio Wales & BBC Radio Cymru (digital only)

Fulham manager Kit Symons believes their Championship opener against Cardiff City on Saturday will be a meeting of two promotion contenders.

Both sides ended last season in mid-table following relegation from the Premier League the previous campaign.

But former Wales assistant manager Symons believes the two sides are candidates for promotion this time.

"That's our aim now. We're very optimistic that promotion will be the outcome," he told BBC Wales Sport.

"Cardiff certainly can be promotion contenders. I don't see why not at all."

Symons left his role as Wales assistant manager in June, having been Chris Coleman's number two since January 2012.

BBC Wales Sport football correspondent Rob Phillips:
"Even with the support of owner Vincent Tan, the affable Slade is in one of the most pressurised jobs in the Championship. The way Cardiff cope with a tough looking opening group of fixtures may give us a decent indication of how much that pressure will build."

Former Wales and Fulham centre-back Symons initially combined the role with being Cottagers boss, but was told he had to concentrate fully on his club commitments.

The 44-year-old succeeded Felix Magath as Fulham manager on an interim basis in September 2014, taking over permanently a month later.

His aim this season is to return the London club to the Premier League.

"We've got high hopes and high expectations," he said.

"We've had some tough times in recent years but I'm very hopeful of the good times coming back."

Cardiff have signed just one senior player over the close season, bringing in striker Sammy Ameobi on a season-long loan from Newcastle United.

But Symons added: "It will be a tough one. They're a strong side and it made me smile when the fixtures came out.

"I was there a few weeks back, having a fantastic night beating Belgium [with Wales].

"All my family are from Cardiff, so I always look forward to going back."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33811114

WhiteJC

Jazz's Top-Six Target

Jazz Richards is keen for Fulham to hit the ground running when the 2015/16 season gets under way, to give his top-six aspirations the greatest chance of coming to fruition.

Speaking to the official website, the 23-year-old said: "It's been a good pre-season and now we're close to the start all the boys are excited. It's just about getting those early results now to kick off our season.

"I think we've got a really good team here, a really good set of lads, good players. The fans just need to have trust in us because we've got more than enough to go on and push for the Premier League this season.

"I think we're going to be in the top six definitely, it's just a case of getting that consistency, and I'm hoping we start off well."

Having been born in Swansea and played for the Jacks for his entire career prior to joining Fulham, Richards is anticipating some hostility from the Cardiff City fans on Saturday but insists it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

"I think that's standard but I'm looking forward to it," he said. "You're going to get that being a Swansea lad at the Cardiff City Stadium, but I'm not going to get phased by any of that.

"Obviously there's the local derby between Swansea and Cardiff but that's never been anything that I ever looked into whenever we came up against them.

"I just try to concentrate on the football more than anything, I don't really like to get emotionally involved because that's when you see players make rash decisions and whatnot.

"Funnily enough I was at Cardiff as a youngster, from around 11 to 13, so I've never had anything against Cardiff. We play at their ground with Wales so I know it's a good place to go and play."

The Bluebirds enjoyed an impressive pre-season which saw them record zero defeats, as well as victories over Premier League new boys Watford and AFC Bournemouth.

But Richards is not reading too much into that, and says that his teammates cannot wait to sink their teeth into 2015/16.

"Most teams look at pre-season as fitness," he explained. "Going into the league games it's totally different so I think you've got to put pre-season games aside as it's a totally different ball game.

"All the boys are smiling and there's a good vibe around the place. Training's been good and the boys are just looking forward to getting the season started."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/07/jazzs-top-six-target?

WhiteJC

Cardiff City Factfile

Fulham embark on a new campaign on Saturday (12pm) when they travel to South-Wales to take on Cardiff City in the Sky Bet Championship.

The opposition

Ahead of his first full season in charge in the Welsh capital, manager Russell Slade has brought just two players into the senior squad. Former loanee Semi Ajayi has joined on a free transfer from Arsenal, while Sammy Ameobi has joined on a season-long loan from Newcastle United.

It's been an impressive pre-season for Slade's men, who have remained unbeaten throughout the summer schedule. Things started slowly with draws against Forest Green Rovers and Shrewsbury Town before they reeled off four straight wins, including two against Barclays Premier League new boys Watford and Bournemouth.

Team news

Cardiff will be without several first teamers for Saturday's season opener. David Marshall is suspended after picking up a red card on the final day of 2014/15 – Simon Moore is expected to deputise. Centre-backs Bruno Manga and Ben Turner remain sidelined, while striker Kenwyne Jones won't be risked after returning from the Gold Cup with a minor muscle problem, and fellow forward Federico Macheda is out with a back injury.

Tickets

Tickets are available on the gate to Fulham fans, priced at £25 for adults, £20 for over 60s and 16-21 year olds and £15 for Under-16s.

Weather

Sunny intervals are forecast for kick-off, with the weather remaining dry and pleasant throughout the day in the Welsh capital, with temperatures reaching a high of 19 degrees.

Pre-match

Cardiff city centre is full of drinking holes, while Canton is closer to the stadium and also has plenty of options.

Previous meeting

The two sides last met in January earlier this year in the Sky Bet Championship at the Cardiff City Stadium, with the hosts coming out on top. An early header from Sean Morrison squirmed between Marcus Bettinelli and Jack Grimmer to find the back of the Fulham net which was enough to hand the home side all three points on the day.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/07/cardiff-city-factfile?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss: I'm under a 'different' form of pressure

Symons a happier man after summer winds of change

Kit Symons admits he's run out of excuses if Fulham fail to perform this season.

And the manager says he's under a 'different' sort of pressure to bring back the good times compared to the sorry last campaign.

When Symons took over from flop Felix Magath nearly a year ago, fans gave the new man the benefit of the doubt. Even so, towards the end of a struggling campaign, the manager divided opinion as Whites limped to safety.

But the former player insists he's 'excited' by the challenge, not least because he got to make all the choices that include seven new faces.

Symons reckons he can only blame himself if things don't work out.

"It's a different type of pressure, but it's the sort of pressure you want as a manager when you'e judged on your choices and decisions," he said.

"You back yourself and you back your judgement - and I have to say I'm really excited.

"I bought these players in. It was difficult for everyone last season and I wanted to get through all that, and I'm delighted with the acquisitions we've got."

Fulham open their campaign at Cardiff City tomorrow, with Symons returning to the Welsh capital for the first time since he helped Wales to a scintillating win over Belgium in June.

He said: "Let's hope it's as good for Fulham as it was for me the last time I was there."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-im-under-different-9809000?

WhiteJC

Fulham interest in McDonald is dead

As we said before, sometimes no news is significant news.

There might not have been any developments in the contract situation regarding Kevin McDonald and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

But as we've reported before that in itself is pretty significant news as it indicated that the situation might have been calming down.

And now we have a first clear indication that this is indeed the case.

The contract dispute had evolved into somewhat of a crisis last month when Kevin McDonald went to the media to reveal that he was unhappy with the contract offer he had received to stay at Molineux and that he was disappointed that he was not formally told of the interest from Fulham.

Fulham had two bids in the region of £1.25million rejected by Wolves.

But while the situation appears to remain in limbo, Fulham have now confirmed that they have ended their interest.

"I think certainly that one has gone quiet now.

"We have signed the Finnish international Sakari Mattila, so I think that one is dead now." Fulham manager Kit Symons told West London Sport.

Will this now path the way for a new deal to be signed for McDonald to remain at Molineux?

http://www.wolves.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=408162

WhiteJC

Mesca Departs

The Club can confirm that Buomesca Tue Na Bangna has joined AEL Limassol on a permanent deal.

The winger joined Fulham from local rivals Chelsea, and made his First Team debut for the Whites against his former club in September 2013.

Everyone at Fulham would like to wish Mesca all the best in Cyprus, and throughout his career.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/07/mesca-departs?

WhiteJC

15/16 Home Kit On Sale Now

Following an exciting new partnership announcement with VISIT FLORIDA as our Main Team Sponsor for the 2015/16 Season, Fulham's 15/16 Home Kit is now available to buy instore and online.

The Stadium Store will remain open until 7pm tonight for supporters to purchase the new kit ahead of our first game of the 2015/16 season, away at Cardiff City on Saturday (12pm).

The Home Shirt is inspired by the classic 1975 jersey worn by the likes of Bobby Moore and Alan Mullery as Fulham reached the FA Cup Final for the first time. With the popular collar reborn for the modern football era, we're proud to celebrate and remember the achievements of Alec Stock's side 40 years ago.

As well as having a retro feel, the shirt also boasts Climacool properties, providing ventilation and moisture management for your body to stay cool and dry, whilst optimising comfort and performance.

Where to buy the 2015/16 Home Kit

Available to purchase instore now. The Stadium Store will remain open until 7pm this evening for supporters wishing to buy.

Supporters can buy online now
For supporters attending Saturday's fixture against Cardiff City and travelling by Official Club Coach from Motspur Park, we are offering the opportunity for you to collect your new Home Shirt on the day. Simply order your Shirt online before 4pm on Friday and select "Collect from Store" – choosing Motspur Park.

Any supporters who order to Motspur Park will be able to collect their items when boarding the coach on Saturday morning. This option is unfortunately not available for supporters travelling from Craven Cottage.

The Goalkeepers shirt is available online now, and will be instore from Tuesday 11th August.

Away Kit is available for pre-order now. It was be available instore from Thursday 20th August.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/07/15-16-home-kit-on-sale?

WhiteJC

Fulham Shines With Visit Florida Sponsorship

Fulham Football Club is shining after announcing VISIT FLORIDA as its Main Team Sponsor for the 2015/16 Season.

With the UK as Florida's number one overseas market, the opportunity to engage with fans around two passions – travel and football – is vitally important to VISIT FLORIDA.

As the Main Team Sponsor VISIT FLORIDA will adorn the front of Fulham's home, away and third kit.  In addition, VISIT FLORIDA will also have signage rights and be featured on the Riverside Stand roof at Craven Cottage on the landing approach from London's Heathrow Airport.

The partnership will also provide significant opportunities for VISIT FLORIDA to engage with Fulham fans and the wider football fan base, through social and digital media platforms and bespoke marketing initiatives.

Home to Chairman Shahid Khan's Jacksonville Jaguars, Florida is famous for its impeccable beaches, beautiful year-round weather and some of the bluest seas in the world.

"I love Fulham and I love Florida, so naturally it brings me a lot of satisfaction to see two of my personal passions become one," said Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan.

"But what's most important is how much this partnership makes strategic sense for both Fulham and VISIT FLORIDA.  One of my stated goals has long been the expansion and development of Fulham as an international brand, particularly in the U.S.

"VISIT FLORIDA has a great tourism and leisure story to tell in the competitive London and UK market, and I don't think there can be a better way of communicating all Florida has to offer than through the power and following of Fulham Football Club."

Paul Phipps, VISIT FLORIDA's Chief Marketing Officer, said, "VISIT FLORIDA is thrilled with this partnership with Fulham Football Club.

"It provides us with a fantastic opportunity to raise awareness of Florida's diverse range of active holiday options and experiences including world-class sports, wonderful beaches and amazing theme parks."

http://www.fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=3989/title=fulham+shines+with+visit+florida+sponsorship+?

WhiteJC

Late goal gives Fulham youngsters win over Brighton

Fulham struck a late winner against Brighton to get their Under-21 Premier League Division 2 campaign off and running.

Just as the game appeared to be heading for a goalless draw, Stevie Humphrys netted in the 86th minute after good work by Luca de la Torre.

Brighton included experienced midfielder Andrew Crofts in their side as he battles back from a long-term knee injury and both he and left-back Adam Chicksen fired wide early on.

James Tilley failed to punish a Fulham defensive error as he pushed a shot wide when through on goal while just before the break Humphrys couldn't convert from the angle after beating Seagulls keeper Harry Doherty to the ball.

Humphrys had a good chance in the second half when he shot over from Ryheem Sheckleford's cross but he made amends with his late goal which won the match.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/late-goal-gives-fulham-youngsters-win-over-brighton?

WhiteJC

Jamie O'Hara begged Fulham to give him a shot... now the player who once cost Wolves £5million wants to stay for good
Midfielder Jamie O'Hara is glad to be back playing football with Fulham
O'Hara was let go by Wolves 12 months ago after consecutive relegations
A spell with Blackpool last season led to the 27-year-old's third relegation
O'Hara spoke with Kit Symons after facing Fulham for Blackpool last term
Former Tottenham man has signed a one-year deal at Craven Cottage

Jamie O'Hara may not have kicked a competitive ball for Fulham yet – but he has already stated his desire to see out the rest of his career at Craven Cottage.

Looking back over the last few years it is easy to see why the midfielder is so keen to feel settled and feel wanted.

Cast aside by Wolves following back-to-back relegations, O'Hara was without a club and on the football scrapheap 12 months ago at the age of just 27.

Midfielder Jamie O'Hara is glad to be back playing football with Fulham ahead of the new Championship season

O'Hara is extremely grateful for the opportunity to continue his career as a Championship player with Fulham

A chance to play for the first time in over a year finally came in November when Lee Clark offered him a short-term deal at Blackpool. But despite playing 27 league games for the Seasiders he could not save them from the inevitable drop and suffered a third relegation of his career.

Out of contract again and desperate not to go through a second successive pre-season without a club, O'Hara took the initiative to try and get his career back on track.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3189761/Jamie-O-Hara-begged-Fulham-shot-player-cost-Tottenham-5million-wants-stay-good.html#ixzz3iCzRP9C8
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook