watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For the older fans..

Started by beijing ben, August 09, 2015, 12:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent Cassandra

In my early days at the cottage there were disabled three wheel motorised vehicles parked all along the pitchside in front of the JH Stevenage Road stand. The dugout was also in front of the enclosure and the rumour was at the time that they moved it across to the riverside because of the constant abuse a certain Fulham fan called Stan used to yell at the manager and coaches when things were not going too well. Anyone remember him?
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Ed

A few years ago I had the pleasure of having a round of golf with George Cohen in a charity bash. George was wonderful, a true gentleman. One story he told was while playing Man U they were under sustained pressure, 3/4 corners on the bounce, he looked up the pitch and Tosh was leaning against the river stand barrier smoking a fag talking to the fans. Not sure it could happen nowadays ha ha

win-dup

The benches ran along the length of the old enclosure in front of the Stevenage Road stand and were there until at least 1958.

Think they were removed after a particularly nasty Brighton side kicked lumps out of Fulham in front of a blind referee who did nothing to stop the mayhem and people were getting off these benches and making threatening gestures towards the Brighton players, though not actually going on to the pitch.

win-dup

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on August 09, 2015, 05:52:02 PM
As a young teenager brought up by Parsons Green I wasvery lucky  that my Dad was Mayor of Fulham during the important season of 1958/59. That entitled him to two tickets in the old Director's Boxwhich was where the PressBox is now. It was nothing like modern times with a cup of tea and iced bun at half time in a cramped room under the stand.
I saw every home game in the promotion  season from that box sitting behind the directors and hearing their likes and dislikes of various players.
During that season Johnny Haynes wax injured for a short spell and received special treatment sitting in front of me, next to Tommy Trinder.
I have regularly attended the Cottage for 65 years, and some who comment on this forum could learn what loyalty and accepting the ups and downs of our fortunes really means.

Do you remember your dad's official chauffeur?  He was a friend of mine who lived in Lewis Trust Buildings whom I knew as Ruby Verr, presumably Reuben was his real Christian name. He was a Fulham supporter and was delighted to get into the ground for nothing and be paid for chauffeuring your dad to the Cottage.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I remember the Mayor's chauffeur quite well, but I cannot remember his name. Certainly I had many rides in the Humber Pulman and he was a Fulham Supporter.
The most famous Fulham supporter of that period who sat right next to the Director's Box was Ted Heath, probably the most popular band leader At that time. When not touring he never missed a match.

jarv

I always used to look at the cottage and wonder how you get a seat on the balcony. Back then (I was young) it was a wish of mine to sit there. I suppose I should have written to the club.

However, to compensate, a few years ago I was able to get into the directors box twice. Unfortunately it was when we used Loftus road during redevelopment.  Nice to mix it with the likes of Sven, then England manager. MAF looked a bit miserable and was surrounded by minders.

Tonywa

Quote from: bog on August 09, 2015, 06:53:16 PM
Fernhurst, what times they were. We could have practiced marching up and down at half time! I was in a photo once in the Sunday People (no not one of those ones!) but I never kept it. As you say we used to throw the ball to the players...my best result whilst sat there was 4-1 v Spuds....  :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif

Was that the Spurs game when Johnny Key scored those two goals, including that incredible one where he cut in from the right wing cut inside and switch the ball to his left foot and scored from about twenty-five yards out.  Gosh I was still a young school kid the.  Happy memories.