watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Punctuation and Spelling Police

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, August 09, 2015, 02:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

It must be awful for the Spelling Bogies  or Pigs (or is it bogeys or les cochons)  on "Boards De Francaiss"  or En board le barque

l'oeuf   la boeuf   la table  je t'aime   Je m'appelle   Il est woofter   "le escargot, lescargot  or l'escargot"
l'amour    je tous amour   je suis    la femme fou  

Monsieur's Les Freres  ou Les Frere's et les jumeaux fraternels

Le homme fuo partisan de jambon complet
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Andy S

I wouldn't dream of criticising a poster for how he/she writes as some people are dyslexic and cannot really help it. None of us are perfect. Take the three words, There (A place) Theirs (Not mine) They're (They are) All sound similar in speech but to somebody who wasn't born on these shores it must be a nightmare. On the other side of the argument, if something is well written it is a pleasure to read

Vienna1

Quote from: Andy S on August 09, 2015, 07:51:23 PM
I wouldn't dream of criticising a poster for how he/she writes as some people are dyslexic and cannot really help it. None of us are perfect. Take the three words, There (A place) Theirs (Not mine) They're (They are) All sound similar in speech but to somebody who wasn't born on these shores it must be a nightmare. On the other side of the argument, if something is well written it is a pleasure to read

Neither born nor living in the  UK I don't consider this to be very difficult (Their, etc). But I think as long as the message comes across, spelling errors should be permitted. I, for example, type too fast. Errors occur.

On the other hand I must admit I sometime have a problem understanding the spoken word. Some people speak to fast or with a strong accent or simply mumble their words.

I find Danish people to speak excellent English. At least for non native speakers. Their English classes must be superb.

Such is life....

Andy S

Interesting point about mis-hearing what people say. I wear hearing aids as I am hard of hearing. Last week I visited my son and his wife, as I was baby sitting my grandchildren the following day. My son asked if I had any plans. I said that I would take them to the library. (One is four the other is 8) My son said to me that the eight year old had to read a book on romance. I thought it was a bit funny teaching kids about romance. But any way off we went to the library and I said to the eight year old so you need a book on romance. To which he said to me not romance. THE ROMAN'S.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Andy S on August 13, 2015, 09:23:43 PM
Interesting point about mis-hearing what people say. I wear hearing aids as I am hard of hearing. Last week I visited my son and his wife, as I was baby sitting my grandchildren the following day. My son asked if I had any plans. I said that I would take them to the library. (One is four the other is 8) My son said to me that the eight year old had to read a book on romance. I thought it was a bit funny teaching kids about romance. But any way off we went to the library and I said to the eight year old so you need a book on romance. To which he said to me not romance. THE ROMAN'S.

Andy, I know exactly what you are saying. I suffered nerve damage many years ago and am now running around with two hearing aids and can't hear high sounds which means that sadly I don't enjoy music as I once did but happily can't usually understand the missus.  :005:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Holders

I'm a bit hard of hearing these days. I was at a show recently and one of the performers asked the audience how many people liked "Countdown" (a TV programme). Now, I automatically thought that she'd said "cow dung" which is surely much more likely - isn't it? Or is it just a Devon thing?!

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham Joe

Obviously I don't get involved in this, but to be honest, if I kept typing "defernately" and somebody told me it's actually "definitely" what's wrong with that?
Why would you be happy to go through life thinking you're beyond a little bit more education?
I'm allwayes hapy too lern moor thinngs and beecum betta edewcated

Logicalman

Quote from: MJG on August 09, 2015, 05:31:04 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on August 09, 2015, 05:14:07 PM
It's not supposed to be internet etiquette to criticise posters' spelling etc.

It's a different thing to highlighting such errors in a professionally written article.
Their you are thats the answer we have all been ahwaiting

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

THE answer is definately 42!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.