News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matt Smith and Alexander Kacaniklic - POWER & PACE!!

Started by Nick Bateman, August 12, 2015, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skatzoffc

I agree with NB about costing us the win by subbing Smith.
I remember him doing it last year as well, so unfortunately, it would worryingly appear that KS is not learning from his mistakes.
Mind u I've felt that for a while now.

Dembele simply doesn't have the threat that Smith does for the opposition. Yet.

COYW!

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 05:22:30 PM
Perhaps I should have left him out but I did remember him did singling out Matt Smith and no other player which was unfair, as though Smith is the root cause of Fulham's woes with his alleged poor passing stat.  I'm sure MJG means well for Fulham as do I, but on this issue he is wrong to make it sound as though Smith is such a bad player!

It's not alleged.  Squawka has his highest pass completion in his last 10 games for us at 67% - in a game where he attempted just 6 passes after coming on after 61 mins.  Against Cardiff he completed just 48% of his passes.  That's pretty damning.

And I don't recall MJG stating that Smith is the root cause for our issues.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Skatzoffc on August 12, 2015, 06:17:26 PM
I remember him doing it last year as well, so unfortunately, it would worryingly appear that KS is not learning from his mistakes.

COYW!

Dembele offers a different threat to Smith though - and on Saturday, with Cardiff chasing the game, bringing a pacey striker on made absolute sense imo.  I'm not a big fan of Kit and feel he makes either the wrong or no decision too often, but that was a decision that made sense to me.

fulhamben

Quote from: God The Mechanic on August 12, 2015, 06:21:44 PM
Quote from: Skatzoffc on August 12, 2015, 06:17:26 PM

COYW!

Dembele offers a different threat to Smith though - and on Saturday, with Cardiff chasing the game, bringing a pacey striker on made absolute sense imo.  I'm not a big fan of Kit and feel he makes either the wrong or no decision too often, but that was a decision that made sense to me.
and if it wasn't for Ross fluffing his lines then Dembele would have set up the winner
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

copthornemike

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 05:12:35 PM
My last word on this topic is well done Kit Symons for taking this fixture seriously, playing virtually his first team with backup (like Smith) on the bench.  A win lifts everyone's morale and the team's spirits.

Smith, McCormack & Kacaniklic as a triumvirate works for me too!
I may not agree with all of your posts but they do have the considerable merit of stimulating a discussion. However with your comments above I do agree 100%. Add O'Hara to the mix and things appear much brighter than in the previous two seasons.

VicHalomsLovechild

Quoting stats for a sub are to my mind daft. He usually has about 15 minutes to get up to speed and on the same wave length as every one else.
I have no problem with route one football if it's effective against a team but to have it as your only weapon is going to be really limiting but that's for Kit to sort out. Players brought in would suggest it's not going to be.
Just for the record I think Smith's a real asset. He positions himself well to either receive the ball or pull players away from it and he thinks fast. I hope he gets a lot of football this season.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: MJG on August 12, 2015, 06:08:01 PM
Ok I start with you Nick, go back over every post you make and I reply to and see that I don't have a go at you for your pov, but the use of 'facts'  which I have on numerous occasions had to correct you about.
Everyone has their own views and mostly on here we can agree to disagree about a lot of things,  but very rarely have I seen a poster name someone straight away as a target.
Not that I care I'm big enough and old enough to to stand by my views and arguments for or against a player.  And more than happy to go toe toe over anything.

As for Smith I have never to my memory slagged him off as a player. I don't particular like tall players in my teams because it brings out the basic instinct of a footballer to knock it long. And that's what we have done. Anyone who saw first half at Cardiff would see that.
Is it effective.. Yes in a way. Is it the way I'd play him... No it isn't.

Let's look at the goal yesterday,  he knocked down a pass to a player who then passed it to another who then passed it to Kaca to finish.
I don't see that as having made the goal but yes he was involved.

I'm short for time but will be back later to reply further.

But one last thing,  if this had been aimed at anyone else the way you had mentioned a name to basically have a go at them,  I would be defending that person to what is basically a personal attack.

One gets certain impressions MJG, and although you may not have meant to be only 'picking' me up on points, you were constantly so today I did likewise.  Touché.  Furthermore, you only singled out Matt Smith, whom I hold with great respect ever since I saw him in Oldham DOMINATE Liverpool's Skertel and (Ralph) Coates and destroy the reds.  It was a case of David V Goliath, only this time Goliath Matt Smith won!    

QuoteHis striker Matt Smith — who, like the rest of the team, did not cost Oldham a penny — acted like a  battering ram and scored twice in  a thumping 3-2 success which was just as noteworthy for the indefatigable defending of Cliff Byrne and for the guile of Jose Baxter.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2269062/Oldham-3-Liverpool-2--match-report-Matt-Smith-scores-twice-Latics.html#ixzz3icnUaLrC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It is not a case of long-balling it to someone aerially superior as Mourinho now seems to rely on provided we also include Kacaniklic who can apply genuine width and provide crosses for Smith to feed on.  That's why I talked about playing both of them and not just one or the other.

I say allegedly Mechanic because one has witnessed how they collect their stats.  Years ago I saw Don Howe and two girls working for OPTA and they were simply counting passes on a TV screen, so I am very skeptical about so-called 'stats'.  Plus as mentioned, more important details like holding up the ball are lost in gathering of possession records which are meaningless - Sam Allardyce lived by PROZONE but rarely did it give him anything of value.  Far better to use one's judgement and general observation.

Twig, so it was not the last word, and I did miss a comma.  My, somebody is incredibly pedantic today!?!

I concur also Skatz, Dembele looks a lightweight up front and defenses have no trouble handling him.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

MJG

Let's be clear whenever I have picked you up on your incorrect facts/points I've meant to.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: MJG on August 12, 2015, 07:21:08 PM
Let's be clear whenever I have picked you up on your incorrect facts/points I've meant to.

I see.  Let's address one of those "incorrect" points you picked me up on.  I stated Symons allowed Kacaniklic to be on loan - you said it was Magath - however it was continuing under Symons'  watch when Fulham were sliding back down to the bottom again.

Who's to say KS could not have terminated the loan deal and recalled a much needed winger/forward when we seriously needed him?  And when Kaca did return Symons rarely used him - many fans sang "You don't know what you're doing!" such was his poor selection decisions. 

MayoDomo

For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

MJG

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 12, 2015, 07:40:16 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 12, 2015, 07:21:08 PMLet's be clear whenever I have picked you up on your incorrect facts/points I've meant to.

I see.  Let's address one of those "incorrect" points you picked me up on.  I stated Symons allowed Kacaniklic to be on loan - you said it was Magath - however it was continuing under Symons'  watch when Fulham were sliding back down to the bottom again.

Who's to say KS could not have terminated the loan deal and recalled a much needed winger/forward when we seriously needed him?  And when Kaca did return Symons rarely used him - many fans sang "You don't know what you're doing!" such was his poor selection decisions.

Ok so you think that Kit could have recalled Kaca from this season long loan... http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/01/new-deal-loan-for-kaca

Well I asked the club specifically this question and you can only recall season long loans during a transfer window and only if the agreement was done at the time of the loan.

Answer is here http://www.vivaelfulham.co.uk/players/football-loans-and-contract-rules-deciphered-10-524.html

So yes I pulled you up on this criticism of Kit when in fact his hands were tied.

Next

brightster

Just a little point NB on the facts in your statement stating " but it was Smith's headed knock-down ". In fact he used his chest.
A lot of your post I can see where you are coming from, but with Alex he is not strong enough, doesn't defend so exposes our full backs on the side he is playing, often they end up trying to cope with 2 players running at them.
Don't get me wrong I want him to do well and I stated on another post last night he needs a good run in the team or go out on loan again, but needs to work on his defending.
As for Smith like Cardiff, last night when he came on Wycombe had 2 players marking him all the time, which did create more space for our wide players to get forward resulting in a well made goal, he is a threat and at the moment think he should be in the starting line up.

Nick Bateman

MJG, you were nitpicking over a general point that he was on loan under KS's watch and then also not utilised much when he was allowed back.  One could trawl the message board and nitpick a hundred different statements from others which are not exactly precise but generally correct, but you choose not to.

Also you've defended Alistair Mackintosh; who was the blithering idiot that did not include a clause to bring back a loanee??  You don't seem to see the damage this man is doing with dopey deals which are probably made in expediency (awaiting a explanation that Ali Mack did not act in expediency but it was a long thought out wonderful strategic plan to shed some excess squad members whom Magath did not want).

Quote from: brightster on August 12, 2015, 08:08:13 PM
Just a little point NB on the facts in your statement stating " but it was Smith's headed knock-down ". In fact he used his chest.
A lot of your post I can see where you are coming from, but with Alex he is not strong enough, doesn't defend so exposes our full backs on the side he is playing, often they end up trying to cope with 2 players running at them.
Don't get me wrong I want him to do well and I stated on another post last night he needs a good run in the team or go out on loan again, but needs to work on his defending.
As for Smith like Cardiff, last night when he came on Wycombe had 2 players marking him all the time, which did create more space for our wide players to get forward resulting in a well made goal, he is a threat and at the moment think he should be in the starting line up.

I wish Symons finally gives him 90 minutes, and also starts believing in Kacaniklic or I can see him being drawn elsewhere.  Symons plays Pringle wide, which I do not agree with and we do not get the crosses from the left wing that Kaca could provide.

MJG

It's not nit picking. You said then and in the post above that Symons sent him on loan and did not recall him early. I corrected you on both points. You were trying to blame Kit for letting Kaca go out and not recalling him,  both things that were out of his hands.

MJG

Alistair did have the clause in the loan because he came back in January,  the earliest point the FA rules allow,  seriously how stupid are you?

Bracken White

Kacaniklic is curate's eggish for me - but understand the points. Matt Smith, however, is more than a target man (though he is) he is a goal poacher - often gets a shot in - takes the tap-ins and is capable of a rasping drive. Has that right place/right time knack that is priceless. I believe he is under-valued by the majority and is a nailed in started for me.
Heresy, perhaps, but both Hutchinson & Burn are playing much better and both Richards & Voser are looking sound. Please no Kavanagh replacing the latter when he gets fit.
Of course further strengthening would be worthwhile, however.
So all in all, we are far & away a better unit than the shambles we started with last season - and dare I say it - a far better Manager, too.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

RaySmith

Quote from: Bracken White on August 12, 2015, 08:21:41 PM
Kacaniklic is curate's eggish for me - but understand the points. Matt Smith, however, is more than a target man (though he is) he is a goal poacher - often gets a shot in - takes the tap-ins and is capable of a rasping drive. Has that right place/right time knack that is priceless. I believe he is under-valued by the majority and is a nailed in started for me.
Heresy, perhaps, but both Hutchinson & Burn are playing much better and both Richards & Voser are looking sound. Please no Kavanagh replacing the latter when he gets fit.
Of course further strengthening would be worthwhile, however.
So all in all, we are far & away a better unit than the shambles we started with last season - and dare I say it - a far better Manager, too.
:plus one:

Jonaldiniho 88

Oh nick. I'm a big smith fan, kaka can be very good but is very inconsistent. We do tend to use him inconsistently so can you blame him? I don't know. Your OP makes good reading and some points but why must you mention Ali Mac in every post? There is no need or context in this and many other posts you post. Also singling MJG out is poor form IMO. I have had debates with MJG about smith and disagree with him usually regarding smith but that's what happens when you discuss football. MJG may pick through your posts more than others but you do tend to state everything as fact and quite often you are proven to not be factually correct. I'm not a stat man so in my posts I err on the side of caution and dilute my opinion and use of "facts" as there are many people on here who are very good at finding and using stats (almost always IMO in a positive not negative way. Either to help someone out when asked or defend their point). You seem to always need to make reasonable views just that little bit more concentrated (on my diluted analogy) and this may be why you can be treated differently than others. Please write what you want but I would much prefer reading your already interesting posts if you didn't blame Ali Mac (or mention him) or pick a challenge with another poster before he has responded.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: MJG on August 12, 2015, 08:20:04 PM
Alistair did have the clause in the loan because he came back in January,  the earliest point the FA rules allow,  seriously how stupid are you?

Oh it's Alistair is it?   Is this the same Alistair who allowed Dimitar Berbatov to go on loan when Fulham were at the bottom of the PL?  The same Alistair who just now allowed Mitroglou to go on loan and according to reports will accept around £4million for a player we paid £11million for??

And also, you are stupid MJG as according to clause 53.2.2 any other termination early of a standard loan must be made by mutual agreement in writing UNQUOTE.  I've seen this happen many times before in the league - some clubs are more professionally managed than others.  Had your friend Alistair forseen every eventuality he would have agreed this clause with the other party who would have accepted, obtaining a player of the calibre of Kacaniklic in their lower level league.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on August 12, 2015, 08:36:25 PM
Oh nick. I'm a big smith fan, kaka can be very good but is very inconsistent. We do tend to use him inconsistently so can you blame him? I don't know. Your OP makes good reading and some points but why must you mention Ali Mac in every post? There is no need or context in this and many other posts you post. Also singling MJG out is poor form IMO. I have had debates with MJG about smith and disagree with him usually regarding smith but that's what happens when you discuss football. MJG may pick through your posts more than others but you do tend to state everything as fact and quite often you are proven to not be factually correct. I'm not a stat man so in my posts I err on the side of caution and dilute my opinion and use of "facts" as there are many people on here who are very good at finding and using stats (almost always IMO in a positive not negative way. Either to help someone out when asked or defend their point). You seem to always need to make reasonable views just that little bit more concentrated (on my diluted analogy) and this may be why you can be treated differently than others. Please write what you want but I would much prefer reading your already interesting posts if you didn't blame Ali Mac (or mention him) or pick a challenge with another poster before he has responded.

Some good points Jonakliniho, allow me to explain why I mentioned MJG's friend Alistair.  

The last time I was inspired by some players' performances was when Mitroglou came off the bench against C.Palace and I saw some real optimism and wrote about it on this forum.  Barely a week had gone when "Alistair" decided to loan him to Benfica?

I wasn't the only one extolling "The Trog's" praise but the man who has made so many mistakes at this club continued by allowing this international forward to go on loan.  We are not Chelsea - we should not be doing LOANS - period!!

Now again one sees a chink of light in the squad with barely any significant investment from Khan and the thought crossed my mind while prosing my epistle, "Will Mackintosh loan out either of these two quality players?"  I had to voice it before he did so, so it's on record if the man does it again.  And one hopes MJG or someone he communicates with tells him he can stop selling/loaning our BEST players because fans will not stand for it.