watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (18/08/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 18, 2015, 08:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Report: $3.6 million Tim Ream transfer from Bolton Wanderers to Fulham to be confirmed August 17

We are told to expect confirmation today - August 17.

David Pye of The Bolton News reports that Tim Ream's transfer from Bolton Wanderers to Fulham will be confirmed on Monday, August 17.

He also advises that he deal struck between the two clubs sees Fulham pay around $2.74 million up front, with future considerations potentially adding a further $0.9 million to the deal. All told, Bolton could take in approximately $3.6 million from the Ream transfer - or GBP 2.3 million, which Pye advises is the sum the Trotters paid to sign Ream from the New York Red Bulls in 2012.

RBNY's 2010 Defender of the Year will be trading one struggling Championship club for another: both Bolton and Fulham lost their games this weekend, and each has one point from its first two league matches. Nonetheless, it is apparently Ream's choice to move to the Cottagers. Bolton head coach Neil Lennon was plainspoken about the reasons for a late switch away from Queens Park Rangers - the club it was though had won the race for the defender's services:

Fulham upped the bid from QPR and Tim made it clear he wanted to go there.

The London chapter of Tim Ream's career should commence shortly.

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/8/17/9164061/report-3-6-million-tim-ream-transfer-from-bolton-wanderers-to-fulham

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: New signings will only bring more inconsistency from Fulham's back four

Two games in and only one point to show for it. Ideally, I thought we would have had four points at this stage, but sadly defensive errors cost us against Brighton.

Kit decided to make changes and replaced Dan Burn with Nikolay Bodurov and it would be this defensive change that would arguably cost us the points against Brighton.

Dan Burn and Shaun Hutchinson started the last league game and despite being linked with other defenders for the mean time this could have been a consistent duo, which worked perfectly against Cardiff, only a wonder strike got past them. As far as I'm aware, there was no reason to change that setup, and it was a lapse in concentration from Nikolay Bodurov that allowed Sam Baldock to open the scoring with relative ease.

But if signings are made this week any hope for some consistency will still be in doubt as the new defender will likely enter the back four, which could still make us vulnerable while they settle as a Fulham player. Jamie O'Hara once again was Man of the Match in a Fulham shirt and dominated a midfield with his hard work, range of passing and his passion to get on the ball and make something happen.

Even the Brighton fans I spoke to said he was a class above everyone else - that's high praise! While Ross McCormack is experiencing a slow start to the season, Fulham did have a few chances that fell to Matt Smith who agonisingly hit the post which could have changed the game.

While the midfield four look consistent and a solid foundation, Kit needs to decide fast who else makes up his first eleven as his constant changes heavily affected our season last year, and we can't afford to do that again. I expect there will still be two more signings before the window closes with a few more leaving Craven Cottage.

But, while some of the football we have played is an improvement, Kit will still have to work hard to develop his side into promotion candidates.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/craven_corner_new_signings_will_only_bring_more_inconsistency_from_fulham_s_back_four_1_4196635
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

Motor Village renews car partner contract with Fulham FC

MOTOR Village UK has renewed its contract with Fulham Football Club of the Sky Bet Championship to become the Club's Official Car Partner for the 2015-2016 season.

The one-year extension means that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' flagship London dealer will continue to supply Fulham FC with a fleet of vehicles for use as match day corporate shuttles and, on non-match days, for the Club's Player Care and Academy departments.

Showcasing their latest models, the Fiat 500X and the Jeep Renegade, these cars will be Fulham FC branded alongside the sporty Alfa Giulietta.

As well as supplying vehicles, the deal brings Wigmore Street-based Motor Village UK a set of marketing rights including in-stadium advertising, LED pitch perimeter branding and the opportunity to showcase vehicles to both Fulham FC players and fans at Craven Cottage.

Fabio Di Prima, managing director, Motor Village UK, said: 'We are pleased to be involved with Fulham FC again for this season.

'This sponsorship deal will once again allow us to showcase Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' cars to players, staff and fans.'

Alistair Mackintosh, Fulham Football Club CEO, added: 'I'm delighted that our partnership with Motor Village UK has been extended for a second consecutive season.

'We have developed a fantastic working relationship with them.'

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/motor-village-renews-car-partner-contract-with-fulham-fc/93976?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons shows his class in wake of Fulham's loss to Brighton

Our reporter's take on the 2-1 loss to the Seagulls and what can be expected from the Whites this season

Kit Symons' post-match press conference impressed me as he refused to criticise Neil Swarbrick for awarding Brighton a last minute penalty.

We're used to seeing managers turning a blind eye to mistakes by their own players (Fulham need only look across SW6 for a prime example) and put the heat onto the match officials.

Images have suggested Shaun Hutchinson brought down Kazenga LuaLua outside the box but the match officials decided the foul was inside the area. Tomer Hemed duly dispatched the penalty with aplomb.

Rather than lay into the officials, Symons, instead preferred to criticise the actual challenge.

He said: "I have seen the penalty back a few times and it's very difficult to call. Possibly the initial contact was just outside but he is travelling at pace and it's quite hard to tell even stopping and rewinding it back from a couple of different angles, it's hard to tell.

"I have no arguments with the award of the penalty but I have a few arguments with the defending that gave it away."

Of course, Symons would be risking censure from the FA were he to criticise the match officials, not that it stops any of his rivals. However, if everyone in the stadium can see it's a mistake, why should the referee not be criticised.

Referees do have a difficult job to deal with incidents that happen at speed and in 'real time', it would have been hard for them to make the right call. Ultimately, Hutchinson's foul made Swarbrick have to make a decision.

I'm a believer in bringing in a version of 'DRS' to football in order to improve the decision making. On this instance, given the speed at which it happened. I would have to say this would be down as 'Umpire's Call'.

The scheme, like in cricket, would be in place to stop the horrendous mistake, such as the mistaken identity incident where Cauley Woodrow was originally red carded for Hutchinson's foul against Huddersfield. While, the correct decision was eventually made, these are the ones that officials should be getting right.

Symons was also frank about Fulham's first half performance, admitting they were poor. Brighton dominated possession and looked to push forward at every opportunity. They were fortunate to be level at half-time after falling behind to Sam Baldock's strike, although Tom Cairney's excellent strike was the highlight of the opening 45 minutes.

They improved in the second half with Brighton happy to settle for a point before the late sucker punch and Hemed's penalty.

Fulham look better than they did at this time last season, although they still appear to be lacking the extra quality defensively that the likes of Middlesbrough seem to have.

Early indications would suggest the Whites will not have the relegation worries that dogged last season but it may not be a season to remember for them either.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kit-symons-shows-class-wake-9870365?

WhiteJC

QPR Now On Sale

Tickets for the West London derby against Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage are now on sale to Season Ticket Holders and Members.

Following a two-season absence, the local rivalry returns on Friday 25th September (7.45pm) under the Cottage floodlights.

Make sure you're at the Cottage as we look to secure the first local bragging rights of the season!

Tickets will go on General Sale on Tuesday 1st September (10am).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/17/qpr-now-on-sale?

WhiteJC

Tim Ream agrees Fulham move

HITC Sport understands Fulham are set to seal the signing of Bolton defender Tim Ream.

Bolton defender Tim Ream is set to join Fulham on a four-year deal after choosing a move to Craven Cottage over Queens Park Rangers, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Queens Park Rangers had looked favourites to land Ream after agreeing a £1.4 million fee with Bolton for the American international.

Ream held talks with QPR officials, but Fulham moved quickly to match QPR's offer as they looked to win the race for the centre-back's signature.

The 27-year-old is understood to have agreed terms and passed a medical at Fulham over the weekend after opting to join Kit Symons' side ahead of QPR.

Symons has been looking to bolster his central defensive options all summer as he looks to improve on last season's disappointing campaign in the Championship and he sees Ream as a key addition to his plans.

Bolton have been resigned to losing Ream due to their financial situation and the money from Ream's sale will allow boss Neil Lennon to bolster his squad elsewhere.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/08/17/tim-ream-agrees-fulham-move/?

WhiteJC

Cairney: Bittersweet Game

With two games in quick succession, Tom Cairney believes Fulham can quickly banish the memories of Saturday's last-gasp home defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion.

The Whites face Cairney's former side in Hull City at the KC Stadium on Wednesday, before hosting Huddersfield Town at the Cottage on Saturday.

And Cairney feels the matches represent a good chance for Fulham to bounce back from the disappointment of the weekend's loss to Brighton.

"I've just played three games in a week and now we've got another three coming up," Cairney told the official website. "The Championship is relentless but the best thing about football when you've had a little bit of an upset is that there's another game around the corner to turn things around.

"I honestly can't remember feeling that down after a game in a long time, especially after our second-half performance which was outstanding. They were the better team first half but after we scored we turned it around and deserved to win it in the second half."

Tomer Hamed's injury-time penalty – given after Shaun Hutchinson had fouled Kazenga LuaLua – saw the Whites fall to a 2-1 defeat to the Seagulls. Cairney had hauled Fulham level with a superb strike, a left-footed curler from the edge of the box, following Sam Baldock's opener.

"I expected them to start quickly because they played so well the week before," said Cairney. "They're a good team, they'll be up there or thereabouts this season. For the first half an hour they deserved to be leading. After that, though, it was all us, but we've got to do the business at both ends of the pitch.

"It was great to score our first goal at the Cottage of the season, on my home debut as well. It was a special moment for me, but what happened at the end has obviously put a downer on it."

Fulham bossed the second half against Chris Hughton's side, but couldn't find a way past former Whites man David Stockdale.

"With the pressure we put them under, their players started seeing less of the ball and they were getting deeper and deeper," added Cairney. "They brought the big lad [Rohan Ince] on in midfield to basically take the point. But with the pace they've got I suppose there's always a little outlet and we made a mistake and they capitalised on it.

"I don't think Shaun needs to say anything. He knows what happened and he doesn't need anyone to tell him. It was just one of things that happens in football. It's a team sport but individuals sometimes make mistakes.

"The fans have seen the honesty and that we gave our all and that was good to be a part of, but I want to be a part of a winning side."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/17/cairney-bittersweet-game?

WhiteJC

Visit Florida Kicks Off Its First Soccer Sponsorship With London's Oldest Team

As Fulham FC celebrates a goal, Visit Florida hopes to catch the eyes (and travel plans) of British fans. Visit Florida

The last thing you would expect to see written across a London footballer's jersey are the words "Visit Florida" in big, blue letters. Yet it turns out that Fulham FC, the city's oldest football club, isn't just serving volleys into the back of the net; the team is also serving as the newest marketing platform for the Sunshine State's tourism board.

British tourists play a large role in the state's international visitations, says Paul Phipps, chief marketing officer of Visit Florida.

"The UK is one of our top countries and it has been for Florida quite some time," Phipps says, noting that there were 1.6 million British tourists visiting Florida last year. "They have a great market for us that is full of families and leisure travelers, and we are always trying to find ways to communicate our brands in unique ways...to a person of interest or passion. And with football, there is a great passion there, so you look at where you can find your sweet spot."

Visit Florida found its sweet spot by sponsoring Fulham FC. And although Phipps says the tourism board did look at working with both Manchester United and Arsenal, it saw more opportunity with the former English Premier League team.

"We measure everything on what kind of a return we can get on the money we invest, and Fulham is the oldest football club in London...and they presented us with an opportunity where we could get a really good return and connect to a passionate fanbase."

In addition, Fulham's owner, Shahid Khan, also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars, the NFL team from Florida that plays a game in London once per year. Ultimately, Phipps says, sponsoring Fulham "made the most sense."

The sponsorship, which runs now through the end of June 2016, marks Visit Florida's first venture into sponsoring a soccer team and will, in a way, serve as an experiment for new and different ways to tell Florida's story.

"We are going to keep a close eye on what happens this next year and see how we can leverage all the assets to see if we can drive additional visitations and bookings. If we do, we will continue to use this platform."

Phipps says Visit Florida plans to track visitors monthly to see how tourism numbers are progressing as well as work with airlines and large travel agencies to monitor growth and additional bookings to determine the effectiveness of the sponsorship as a marketing platform.

"Today in doing partnerships with sports teams...it is not any more just about brand association. We are not out to create brand awareness but to use it to create conversions, and we think there is a way to do that."

Phipps adds that soccer aligns well with Visit Florida's message.

"With such passion in the game...the sport is all about having fun and brightening the lives of others," Phipps says. "The purpose of our brand is to brighten the lives of all. We think [Florida] has something for everybody."

http://skift.com/2015/08/17/bangkok-bombing-took-aim-at-tourism-area-and-economy/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Marcus Bettinelli: Why I snubbed Chelsea

Snubbed: Bettinelli did not want to be third choice at Stamford Bridge GETTY

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has revealed that he rejected the advances of Premier League champions Chelsea because he did not want to sit on the bench at Stamford Bridge.

The 23-year-old attracted interest from the Blues, who were in the market for a goalkeeper to complement the talent of Thibaut Courtois and Asmir Begovic, but decided to stay at Craven Cottage in order to receive regular game time.

Bettinelli has progressed through Fulham's youth ranks and, having spent spells on loan at Dartford and Accrington Stanley, felt it would have been foolish to leave the club after claiming the number one jersey for his own last season.

"There was always that speculation with Chelsea, but I did not want to be sat on the bench," Bettinelli said.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulhams-marcus-bettinelli-why-i-snubbed-chelsea-a2871586.html?

WhiteJC

Marcus Bettinelli – "I did not want to be sat on the bench"

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has spoken to the London Evening Standard about why he chose to snub a move to Premier League champions Chelsea and stay with Fulham.

The 23-year-old attracted the interest of Chelsea as they were looking to add to their already talented goalkeeper department consisting of Thibaut Courtois and Asmir Begovic.

Bettinelli has made 47 appearances for Fulham, keeping 12 clean sheets. Whilst he was second choice behind Gabor Kiraly at the start of last season, he quickly became the number one at Craven Cottage and went on to make 39 appearances in the Championship.

Speaking with the Evening Standard, Bettinelli spoke about rejecting a move to Chelsea by saying "there was always that speculation with Chelsea, but I did not want to be sat on the bench.

"It would have been silly to stop playing now and go and be a number three.

"It was lovely to be linked with Chelsea, one of the biggest clubs in the world, but this was always the place for me."

Bettinelli signed a new four-year deal at Fulham only days ago, after impressing last season and being included in the England under-21 squad for the under-21 European Championships in the summer.

http://the72.co.uk/34591/marcus-bettinelli-i-did-not-want-to-be-sat-on-the-bench/?

WhiteJC

Match preview: Hull City v Fulham

As the games come thick and fast, Ollie Harsley previews the match against Fulham.

This Wednesday evening sees Hull City welcoming Fulham to the KC Stadium in what is shaping up to be another tough game for the Tigers. All that Hull have to do is eradicate those horrific errors at the back which have plagued them so far this season. These came to fruition on Sunday afternoon when Hull goalkeeper Allan McGregor made an awful mistake as he gifted away two points.

To have a firm chance of winning on Wednesday evening, the Tigers also have to be more bullish in the final third in order to create more opportunities and score some more goals. The midfield against Wolves was simply too slow and broken apart to have a chance of dominating the game and to create those goals that they badly craved.

Fulham arrive at the KC on the back of a 1-2 defeat against Brighton And Hove Albion. Their only bright spark in that game was former Hull City player Tom Cairney, who scored the only goal for the Cottagers. In addition to Cairney Fulham have many other key threats, including striker Ross McCormack who – as a former Leeds United player – will receive a bad reception on Wednesday night. One more name to watch out for is Ben Pringle who plays as an attacking midfielder; a dangerous player, he will have to be dealt with very effectively.

In terms of team selection, Hull City manager Steve Bruce should look to start David Meyler in central midfield ahead of Isaac Hayden. Bruce could also start Sone Aluko up front with Chuba Akpom instead of Nikica Jelavic.  Jelavic hasn't really shown any good form at all, so it would be good to see what Sone can do from the start of a game. Apart from that, expect to see the majority of the players start on Wednesday who started on Sunday.

Don't expect to see a repeat of the 6-0 thrashing that Hull City gave to Fulham on 28th December 2013; this game on Wednesday night will be a cagey affair, no doubt about that. However, let's just hope that it is a game that doesn't bore the fans as Hull City are very good at doing that.

http://hullcitysupporterstrust.com/match-preview-hull-city-v-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Tim Ream: Who did Fulham just buy?

Everyone is reporting that Fulham are soon to report the transfer of Tim Ream. Other than rain on QPR's parade (which is always fun), what do we know about him?

As an MLS fan, I first became aware of Tim Ream as a rookie with the New York Red Bulls. He was highly touted as a first year player and started receiving international call ups, though no one was really sure where his best position was. Was he a central defender? Was he a defensive midfielder? No one really knew. Then he moved to Bolton Wanderers, they were relegated, and he fell off the map for most Americans. I admit that I've only seen him play a handful of games since 2012. The fine people at Lion of Vienna Suite have watched him play though, and were kind enough to give their thoughts on the matter.

Cottagers Confidential: I remember constant argument whether or not Tim Ream was a ball playing center back or a defensive center midfielder. Now I've seen that he's spent a lot of time playing left back (a position of need for Fulham). What do you think his best position is or is his versatility his best attribute?

Lion of Vienna Suite: He's a bit of both, but also a lot of neither. Nobody is quite sure where his best position is – but most agree it's not central defence. Personally I'd have liked to see Bolton try him in midfield given his technical abilities, but left back is a reasonable fit due to his pace allowing him to compete with most wingers, whilst also not being in a position where his own failings can cause too much grief. So versatility is an asset, but also it can be a negative too. Jack of all trades, and master of none.

CC: He seemed to be a popular player at Bolton, has he improved over the years? Does he still have some growth left or is he really at his peak now? For the rumored fee £1.5-2M, do you think Fulham are overpaying?

Lion of Vienna Suite: Popular-ish yes. Most fans rated him but some saw him as a weak link whose consistency – a 6/10 most weeks – was about as good as it could get. The fee, should the add-ons come to pass will equate to the £2.3m we paid NYRB for him. He's definitely not gone backwards as a player but you'd do well to find any real improvements in his game. Thoroughly nice guy, and sometimes perhaps a bit too nice – doesn't have a real nasty streak or killer instinct, I'd say. You've got a good player for a good fee, and we've let a high earner go and will sign at least two with the money – so everyone's happy.

So, if you were expecting Tim Ream to come in and be the savior of the defense, hold your horses. I'd guess another central defender might still be on the list for Fulham. But this is the kind of player Fulham need. With Kay Vosser being your backup left back, Tim Ream would be a huge improvement. He can also play in central midfield or in the center of defense. He's basically what we hoped Fernando Amorebieta is, without the nasty streak that leads to red cards.

While I've never been super high on Ream (there has always been a loud contingent of Americans calling for his inclusion on the national team), it's hard to find a lot of fault with this move.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2015/8/17/9167185/tim-ream-who-did-fulham-just-buy

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-2 Brighton (bit late, not that late though)

Right. Here we go again.

Having read the internet I had expected to see an even game in which Brighton started well and Fulham finished well. People – and the manager, if I haven't imagined it – seemed to think that Fulham deserved at least a point, but that feels iffy from here. Brighton dominated the first half and half of the second. True, Fulham came at them for the last 20, but that's not enough, is it?  No point in feeling hard done by here.

As the mirror said to the mirror, let's reflect:

Item one: Bettinelli rolling the ball out to a colleague!  Passing it to a colleague!  It's a small thing but, as noted, Lonergan spent the Cardiff game hoofing the ball to the Cardiff defence.  Absolutely pointless surrender of possession and inexcusable in the modern game. Here either someone said something or Bettinelli just had a bit of common sense. Either way, hurray.

If someone had said to me beforehand that Brighton would score from our left flank I wouldn't have been surprised. Sure enough, a nothing ball in behind and boom, 1-0.  The trick here was that Voser was neither closing down the player nor playing as part of a back four, and Bodurov was in the middle, so that left a channel the size of the Suez Canal through which Brighton could operate without concern.  FFS, etc.  What kind of defending is that?

Otherwise everything's generally better, with the caveat that Brighton have the ball all the time. Fulham generally seem geared up for some imaginary samurai counter-terror, except that we don't have the players for that. Brighton on the ball, Fulham kind of compact behind it. All very odd.

The goal is excellent though.  O'Hara torpedoes a ball towards the Brighton fans, but Matt Smith keeps it in and the ball comes back to Cairney, who swipes it home.  A lovely goal.

The second half picked up somewhat but again, at home, you need more than 20 minutes of going for it.  Still, some signs of positivity, for which we must be grateful.

The Ratings:

Bettinelli – 6. Thought he did quite well. No chance with either goal.  People say this all the time but here it's legitimately true.

Richards – 5.5. Did okayish again. One hairy spell where Lua Lua seemed to have the beating of him and he might have done something in the buildup to the winning penalty, but more or less okay.

Hutchinson – 5.5. I thought he was playing quite well but that foul at the end can't go unpunished here. Kit probably didn't need to publicly criticise the tackle – it felt a bit "not my fault, media – blame the players" to me – but imagine how Roy would have felt about his centre-half doing that on the very edge of the box!  I am growing to suspect that Hutchinson is a much better player than our trigger happy fans gave him credit for last year, but that he needs to restrain himself a bit. This isn't the first time he's made a tackle unbecoming of a centre-back at this level.

Bodurov – 5. Not a huge fan and not convinced he has a real claim on the shirt over the promising Burn.  As a full international perhaps he might have been expected to organise things at the back a little, too.

Voser – 5. I'm not one to be negative – this site's nearly 10 years old and I have tried to be positive for most of this time – but Voser just doesn't look like he knows how to play left-back.  I think he's a reasonable footballer, but in this position with these colleagues he feels like an accident waiting to happen.  Fair play to him for filling in, etc, but there might need to be a plan B before long.

O'Hara – 7. Instrumental in the exciting finish, which will live on in the minds of us all, and a far better showing than his Cardiff display.  I like his attitude, I like how he wants the ball, and I like how he wants to make things happen. He isn't perfect but he's not meant to be.  If anyone can rise Fulham above the Symons malaise it's someone like this.

Christensen – 5.5.  In and out. I thought he looked more dangerous against Cardiff.

Pringle – 4. I wonder if he was very much "the man" at his old club, and now he's just one of many and struggling to find a role. Did basically nothing before being subbed for Kacaniklic (who fared no better).  We were led to believe that he had a bit about him, but it's devilishly difficult to see it at this point.  I have no issue with giving him time (big of me!) as he looks capable, but he also looks more than a little lost.

Cairney – 6.5. Terrific goal and more signs of competence in possession. I think he'll be a terrific player in time.

McCormack – 5. Not there yet is he?

Smith – 7. Could have had 5 on another day. Goals I mean, not marks out of 10. Gets good marks because we're looking for ways to win football matches, and if you have a player capable of getting a handful of good chances a game then more often than not that'll see you through.  Smith does what he does, and of course there are limitations, but clearly he has something about him in the penalty box and must be a nightmare to mark.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/fulham-1-2-brighton-bit-late-not-that-late-though/?

WhiteJC

Toothless Fulham pay the penalty
by DAN on AUGUST 16, 2015

After the final whistle, Craven Cottage emptied remarkably quickly. All but the vast majority of the Putney End, where the visiting supporters staged their own summer party. Brighton moved onto six points from two games and, having played with the air of an upwardly mobile side for most of a first half that saw them utterly dominate their hosts, few could argue with their jubilation. That the victory was secured in stoppage time courtesy of a highly debatable penalty as Shaun Hutchinson's desperate lunge was clear outside the penalty area was merely a minor quibble because so many of the frailties that undermined Fulham's first season in the Championship were all too present again.

There was the glacially slow start. Brighton looked well-drilled, well organised and attacked with a purpose. Chris Hughton sent his side out to push Fulham onto the back foot from the off with pace in wide positions, an enterprising passing game and a plan to press high up the pitch. It jolted any rhythm that the home side might have sought to establish. There was no Bobby Zamora to line the line – Brighton's returning hero, who made such a mark in south west London during that unforgettable European run, will play for the Seagulls' under-21 side on Monday night in a bid to prove his fitness, but that mattered little. Hughton's other forwards just seemed to treat this as an audition where they might prove their worth.

All the football came from Albion. Tomer Hemed grazed the crossbar with a rising drive from twenty yards after a crisp passing move and the meandering Beram Kayal forced a fine save from Marcus Bettinelli, who returned in goal having signed a new four-year contract with Fulham prior to the kick off. Fulham spluttered in response, but it was little surprise when the visitors opened the scoring. The ease with which Brighton were able to work space for Sam Baldock in the box must have infuriated Symons and underlined the need for defensive reinforcements. Uwe Hunemeier, reckoned to a replacement for Lewis Dunk who was dropped to the bench here, shook off the attentions of Matt Smith and found the marauding Bruno down the right. His low cross dissected the Fulham defence and Baldock, having strolled across the inexplicably statesque Nikolay Bodurov, drove a finish across Bettinelli and into the far corner.

It was no less than Brighton deserved and, although Fulham worked up some pressure prior to the interval, Hughton would have felt his side were hugely unfortunate to go in level. That they did was all down to Tom Cairney, who was Fulham's liveliest outlet all afternoon. The Scottish midfielder played a clever one-two with Lasse Vigen Christensen down the right flank and then, with little appearing on, curled home a majestic finish with his left foot from the edge of the box, leaving David Stockdale grasping at air. It was a sublime way to score a first goal for your new club.

If that was unjust, Fulham taking the lead in first half injury-stoppage would have been downright criminal, but Smith will probably feel he should have done better than head Jamie O'Hara's deep free-kick against the post. The hosts drew inspiration from how close they had come and proceeded to dominate the second period. First, Stockdale – appearing against his old club, of course – did superbly to palm a Smith half-volley over the bar after Brighton had failed to clear a free-kick. Then, from the resulting corner, Bodurov headed narrowly wide having stolen in unnoticed. A heartstopping moment for the Bulgarian defender followed, this time in his own box – when he somehow contrived to glance a clearing header against the outside of his own post.

Smith spurned two more glorious chances – sending a header straight at Stockdale from barely six yards out when he had been picked out perfectly by Jazz Richards and then also heading wide – before being replaced by Moussa Dembele. The Frenchman hinted at providing a real threat in behind the Brighton back four, but Fulham failed to find the necessary service to trouble an Albion defence that had already withstood a fierce bombardment. The 'sucker punch,' as Symons described it, came at the other end when Hutchinson made the rash decision to dive in and chop down Kazenga Lua Lua as he sped towards goal. The contact was a yard outside the box, but referee Neil Swarbrick pointed to the spot and Hemed clinched the points by sending Bettinelli the wrong way.

FULHAM (4-4-2): Bettinelli; Richards, Voser, Hutchinson, Bodurov; O'Hara, Christensen, Cairney, Pringle (Kacaniklic 63); McCormack, Smith (Dembele 83). Subs (not used): Lonergan, Burn, Matilla, Tunnicliffe, Woodrow.

BOOKED: Bodurov, Hutchinson.

GOAL: Cairney (43).

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION (4-4-2): Stockdale; Bruno, Bong, Hunemeier, Greer; Stephens (Forster-Caskey 86), Kayal, March (Rosenior 84), Lua Lua; Hemed, Baldock (Ince 79). Subs (not used): Maenpaa, Dunk, Calderon, O'Grady.

BOOKED: Lua Lua, Hemed.

GOALS: Baldock (30), Hemed (pen 90+4).

REFEREE: Neil Swarbrick (Preston).

ATTENDANCE: 19,029.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/08/toothless-fulham-pay-the-penalty/?

FPT

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 18, 2015, 08:36:21 AM

Tim Ream: Who did Fulham just buy?

Everyone is reporting that Fulham are soon to report the transfer of Tim Ream. Other than rain on QPR's parade (which is always fun), what do we know about him?

As an MLS fan, I first became aware of Tim Ream as a rookie with the New York Red Bulls. He was highly touted as a first year player and started receiving international call ups, though no one was really sure where his best position was. Was he a central defender? Was he a defensive midfielder? No one really knew. Then he moved to Bolton Wanderers, they were relegated, and he fell off the map for most Americans. I admit that I've only seen him play a handful of games since 2012. The fine people at Lion of Vienna Suite have watched him play though, and were kind enough to give their thoughts on the matter.

Cottagers Confidential: I remember constant argument whether or not Tim Ream was a ball playing center back or a defensive center midfielder. Now I've seen that he's spent a lot of time playing left back (a position of need for Fulham). What do you think his best position is or is his versatility his best attribute?

Lion of Vienna Suite: He's a bit of both, but also a lot of neither. Nobody is quite sure where his best position is – but most agree it's not central defence. Personally I'd have liked to see Bolton try him in midfield given his technical abilities, but left back is a reasonable fit due to his pace allowing him to compete with most wingers, whilst also not being in a position where his own failings can cause too much grief. So versatility is an asset, but also it can be a negative too. Jack of all trades, and master of none.

CC: He seemed to be a popular player at Bolton, has he improved over the years? Does he still have some growth left or is he really at his peak now? For the rumored fee £1.5-2M, do you think Fulham are overpaying?

Lion of Vienna Suite: Popular-ish yes. Most fans rated him but some saw him as a weak link whose consistency – a 6/10 most weeks – was about as good as it could get. The fee, should the add-ons come to pass will equate to the £2.3m we paid NYRB for him. He's definitely not gone backwards as a player but you'd do well to find any real improvements in his game. Thoroughly nice guy, and sometimes perhaps a bit too nice – doesn't have a real nasty streak or killer instinct, I'd say. You've got a good player for a good fee, and we've let a high earner go and will sign at least two with the money – so everyone's happy.

So, if you were expecting Tim Ream to come in and be the savior of the defense, hold your horses. I'd guess another central defender might still be on the list for Fulham. But this is the kind of player Fulham need. With Kay Vosser being your backup left back, Tim Ream would be a huge improvement. He can also play in central midfield or in the center of defense. He's basically what we hoped Fernando Amorebieta is, without the nasty streak that leads to red cards.

While I've never been super high on Ream (there has always been a loud contingent of Americans calling for his inclusion on the national team), it's hard to find a lot of fault with this move.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2015/8/17/9167185/tim-ream-who-did-fulham-just-buy

To the bolder area - sounds like he'd make a good central defender on the left of a back three. Shame we won't see it used as I think Richards and (eventually) Garbutt would make great wing backs. We then could then have a midfield three, Jamie O'Hara sitting with two ahead with two strikers.