more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do Fulham have good fans?

Started by intertoto2002fulham, August 18, 2015, 02:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Quote from: mullers on August 18, 2015, 07:40:40 PM
I agree with MJG, it's not going to change, but more importantly it's Who We Are. We are the only fans that don't stand up throughout the game [Hamburg is the only time I've seen that] and though it can be frustrating it is Fulham; we always applaud the away keeper [and I think Stockade was genuinely touched by his reception] and so on.
We're not like other clubs, and most of the time I'm proud of that.
0001.jpeg

os5889 mkII

Quote from: epsomraver on August 18, 2015, 09:37:52 PM
Quote from: Chutney on August 18, 2015, 03:24:29 PM
Our home support has been dreadful for years
fp.gif

Average attendance last season of 18,317. That was the 12th highest average attendance in the football league for 2014/15. Even with the turmoil at the club and factoring in for the popularity of the Cottage for away fans that still leaves c15K a game which whichever way you look at it is pretty good going.

Whilst our home support may not be the most vocal it most certainly is not dreadful.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/documents/average-attendance549-2598153.pdf
@OsmithFFC

ron

Quote from: Chutney on August 18, 2015, 07:27:51 PM
I think the acoustics of the ground is a bit of a cop out to be honest, the real season our fans make no noise is because only a few of them actually bother to sing.

I agree with the fact that the acoustics argument is overplayed. The end stands at the cottage are fairly similar. It's not as if the Putney End is built like a giant megaphone, while the Hammersmith End has an invisible gag over it......

The assertion that the Putney End is louder is based more on folklore than recorded decibels, imho.

epsomraver

shnlwswlkr

We have the best fans in the world!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

os5889 mkII

@OsmithFFC

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: os5889 mkII on August 18, 2015, 10:11:36 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on August 18, 2015, 10:05:10 PM
LB 11 will prove different!

He would indeed, believe this thread is the one....

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=18945.0

Thanks for that. The terrorists now know our weak rivets! Haha. I don't think we will every be the loudest but that doesn't mean we aren't the twelfth player. What gets me is that we seem to be louder in criticism for our boys than we are supporting. Be quite, but then don't be loud if it isn't going right. If we lack vocal support then don't shout vocal discontent. You can do both but we should do less of the latter and more of the fore. COYW

valdeingruo

Well we don't make it hard on the travelling support to get tickets either.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

epsomraver

Loud fans don't make good fans, good fans are those who will bother to take time off work and go to the god forsaken hole that is Hull to support Fulham tonight, that is a good fan, before you all start jumping up just because you cannot be there tonight but do your best to get to games as much as possible you too are  good fans

MJG

Bit fed up with some on here.... And elsewhere... Just finding an excuse to have a go at our own fans. We are what we are and that's what makes us special and a club I love. Would bloody hate turning into the kind of fans some seem to want. Don't like it down the river you have plenty of other places to go.

Vienna1

Quote from: epsomraver on August 19, 2015, 09:42:28 AM
Loud fans don't make good fans, good fans are those who will bother to take time off work and go to the god forsaken hole that is Hull to support Fulham tonight, that is a good fan, before you all start jumping up just because you cannot be there tonight but do your best to get to games as much as possible you too are  good fans

Sometimes loud support is necessary though. Players feel pushed by noise.

Still, I agree, a loud fan is not automatically a good fan.

alexbishop

The reason we aren't the noisiest set of fans is probably due to the current make up of our fan base.

We currently have a lot of older fans who understandably are less inclined to chant and just want to enjoy the football. We have a massive marketing push to families to bring their young children along too. Therefore we have a lot of younger families who are not going to be chanting along to "QPR are ****", "**** Chelsea" etc. in front of their kids.

We don't have many family friendly chants at the moment apart from 'take me home', 'you're just too good to be true', 'come on fulham' etc. Would be a bit awkward for the kids too if mum and dad are chanting away ;)

The clubs with noisy fans tend to have a larger proportion of younger adults who get to games early, have a few beers with their mates and then go to the game loosened up and singing. Those fans who make the most noise in the Hammy End tend to fit in to this category.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

epsomraver

Quote from: Vienna1 on August 19, 2015, 10:46:46 AM
Quote from: epsomraver on August 19, 2015, 09:42:28 AM

Sometimes loud support is necessary though. Players feel pushed by noise.

Still, I agree, a loud fan is not automatically a good fan.

[/quote
It has to start from the pitch, at the Europa games at the Cottage the place rocked, probably helped by the fact that there were home fans behind both goals but never the less the crowd reacted to the effort from the team, take Saturday , what was there to cheer and sing about first half, lastly the reason the away fans sound louder is because they are all grouped together in one spot

mikestrand

We should limit the number of away supporters, we are losing the home advantage by letting in excessive numbers who create a cup tie atmosphere which spurs on the away team.
I know it doesn't make economical sense but if it helps you get promoted who cares.
Ps   we have some of the best supporters in the world at Fulham.

Shredhead

Contrary to some views expressed on this thread, the Stevenage Rd / Johnny Haynes stand does make some noise. It often starts in (I think) Block C. There's sometimes a clapping sequence and often a COYW chant. We do try in Block A, honest we do.

Incidentally my Brighton mates (who have season tickets at the Amex) said the tin roof on the Putney End made it much louder than at home.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

epsomraver

Usually sit around c-g blocks and there is some noise from the JH stand, but as I said before it has to come from the pitch, the players have to give the fans something to cheer, we all stand and clap them on the pitch, we all cheer when their names are called out ( a response from some would be nice ) we all cheer when they wheel away from the hand shakes , it is then up to them to inspire the crowd.

love4ffc

Two years ago I met a staunch supporter for Leeds and his wife.  During our conversation, while having one pint to many, his wife declared she rather fancied Fulham as a club.  Much to the dismay of her husband she went on to explain why she liked Fulham so much. 

Her reasons were simple. 
1 - Location, being on the river near the park and all
2 - The Cottage felt like a proper old club to her and not some outrageous white elephant of a stadium.
3 - The atmosphere, very family friendly and non-hostile.
4 - Because the FFC fans appreciated good football, even when it came from the opposing side, hence clapping for the opposing goalie. 

To me that sounds like a club to be proud of. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?