watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Shahid Khan

Started by The Rock, August 20, 2015, 12:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

Trying to constructively move this forward, would your opinion change at all if we sign both Gayle and Dunk before the end of the window? Cos there's still time...
[/quote]

A big fat yes!
I would change my opinion but I still wouldn't warm to Khan in the same way as I did with MAF, that may come in time.

I don't think many of us expect a £50 million kitty and I realise just because we get the likes of Ruiz and Rodders out doesn't mean that money can always be earmarked for new players.

BUT! he's talked BIG again and again and so far the clocks ticking with little to show for all the words.

Domino 1879

Quote from: west kowloon white on August 21, 2015, 10:28:22 AM
Regarding the changed planning permission-how many flats are involved?

There is no change to the number of flats proposed and approved in the original planning application. That is 6 in number.

Mighty Maik

gezkc - Two is what was described to me. Each corner of the Riverside Stand. Of course, that would mean that the precedent for residential development would be established.

The analysis that the rot had started before Khan, is of course correct. MAF had, reportedly, been trying to sell the club for a bit and he naturally cashed out some of the assets (Dempsey and Dembele) before he did. We were caught in the trap of loan deals for high profile players that inflated our wage bill while making us look desireable to a non-discerning eye. "Total Football" remember? - Which turned out to be a bunch of individual egos doing whatever they wanted once in a while.  A far cry from the organised years of Hodgson (and indeed Tigana!!) with lesser known players punching well above their presumed weight game after game. God bless, 'Bairdiniho', Gera, and all the others that were under rated but outstanding for Fulham.

Yes, I guess we'll disagree, Craven Mad, but I'll still go to the game believing we can win even when all the evidence says we won't - and I'll cheer with you when we do. And I'll still be cross when Khan disapears at half-time and doesn't come back. But I won't blame Kit for the mess Khan and Lamping have caused while saying they are committed to the future of the club. Right now, for me, Kit is a grafter and Khan appears to be a grifter - true to the homophone of his name - until he backs up his ambition with a constructive and well executed plan to improve the club.

Mighty Maik

Thaks for the clarification Domino.

west kowloon white

Thanks Domino-I won't turning on Khan then.
The issue was dubious evidence in an anti Khan rant-50 then smacks of our previous owners.
The full Rudd article in today's Times portrays him as sensitive to fans criticism(Danny?)
Personally think lucky to have him.
Trying to think of who I would prefer-doubtless one of our more intelligent posters will come up with a list?

Arthur

Quote from: WayneKerrins on August 20, 2015, 03:24:01 PM
There are approximately 12 (seemingly genuine) Fulham fans who are defending Khan.
The facts we all know are:
1) he said he would do what it takes to take us back to the Prem
2) he said it wasn't always about balancing the books
3) in his December program notes he said the role of the academy was to stock the first team
4) in May he said there was a lot of work to be done on the squad to get it ready for "the start" of the season ( note not 1st Sept)
5) in the last 3 windows we are comfortably in transfer surplus..he hasnt put another dime in.
6) the jags have the biggest headroom on the NFL salary cap and a woeful record under Khans tenure.
7) he backed the decision to keep Kit despite about as near consensus ever seen from the fan base that he wasn't remotely the best man for the job
8) at time of writing our midfield is much improved if still unbalanced, our Defence and attack are much worse/slightly worse than the one that was close to relegation.
9) MJG has been told in his meetings with the club that 'make no mistake Mr Khan expects a top 6 finish.

Now for my opinion, given 1-9 how can so many posters who support our club not see that criticism of Khan's disastrous stewardship is warranted?
He is a self styled, voluntary, custodian who is presiding over a debacle. The current squad under the current manager haven't a snowballs chance in hell of making the play offs.
For the sake of a fraction of a % of his net worth he could bring in 3 players to make us genuine contenders whilst still complying with FFP. But here we are 3 games in with 1 point and 5 points at least spunked by fielding some of the same hapless defenders as last season and one whom wasn't even good enough to get into that defence is now playing on the wrong flank.
Given this and rooting this in the context of 1-9 how can anyone seriously be surprised that Khan is the subject of sustained criticism from many fans?
I mean seriously what don't you get?

I can tell you what I 'don't get':

I 'don't get' to the conclusion that Khan cares not whether we return to the PL.
I 'don't get' to the conclusion that he was naïve to accept advice from Alistair Mackintosh.
I 'don't get' to the conclusion that the likelihood of our being relegated would have been any the less had MAF remained as Chairman.

Whether or not you agree with my assessment, I do not know (but it would surprise me, of course, if you did); I am merely outlining why I think I feel less inclined to be critical of Khan than you.

I also think that some of your list of facts can be interpreted in different ways:
Fact 1) can be better assessed when the transfer window closes.
Fact 2) has surely been clarified by Rigg's recent statement that the Club would work within the rules of FFP.
Fact 3) is not referred to in your summary. It is not self-evident (to me) in what way you are holding this statement against our Chairman.
Fact 4) is, in an instance such as this, not to be taken literally. Doubtless many a chairman and manager use the term 'new season' in May. How many of them actually mean that there can be no transfer business between the opening fixture and the end of the transfer window?
Fact 5) is not something that I can verify without research, so I shall accept it. Is it not the case, however, that FFP regulations apply to more than just our transfer dealings. With a shortfall of tens-of-millions in our income following relegation, we had to balance our books. Could not a net transfer gain have been a means to an end?
Fact 6), if true (and I have no reason to doubt that it isn't), ostensibly adds weight to the notion that Khan doesn't 'do what it takes' (Fact 1). Knowing nothing about Gridiron, however, I wouldn't know whether (as in the case of Fact 5) there are mitigating circumstances. Even if there are none, on its own, it would not significantly influence my opinion.
Fact 7) is disingenuous: you ignore that the original 'near consensus' was for Symons' appointment in the first place. At the time, few, if any, supporters were expecting anything more than that he keep us up. I can understand why the Club refrained from sacking him at the end of last season.
Fact 8) is not a fact at all; it is an opinion. I shall spare you the details, but I am not entirely of the same opinion.
Fact 9) is, as far as I know, correct. I shall make the assumption that this relates to your opinion that there has been a lack of investment this summer.

Though we see Khan in a different light, I do not say that you are wrong. Until it is evident that the decline of the past two seasons is being reversed, my support will not be without its reservations. For me, time will tell.

Jonaldiniho 88

I like khan. (Mainly on gut instinct which I can't argue with you about unless you want a stool sample). Not what's happened under him but I think a bigger picture  needs to be looked at;
I think he has made decisions that could have gone either way.
They have all gone the wrong way.
That's unlucky.
They haven't all been bad decisions.
Some have.
Rather than doing a QPR he is sticking by the rules. This strikes me as honourable.
  That gives me evidence he will honour the promises he has given us.
  There are so many worse owners out there I'd rather the devil we know.

FFC Sydney

Quote from: Horse on August 20, 2015, 02:55:18 AM
The only thing I blame Khan for is not getting rid of Symons the moment it became obvious he had no clue what he was doing.

He probably felt it was right to let him stay till the end of last season but should have let him go in the off season since he has never shown any ability to get us promoted to anyone other then a handful of delusional fulham supporters, the type who thought Mitroglou was going to play Championship football this season and that Roberts was better off staying at Fulham.

He made the same mistake with Magath. Failed on the rescue mission to keep us up but was retained. I think Mr Khan compromised his hard business reputation there. So two mistakes, retaining failing managers on both occasions.  What is KIts record now? 4 wins from the last 25. Relegation form amigos

DeuceBigelow

Khan was sold a duff- and I don't mean of the Damien kind. I don't think that he predicted relegation so soon from an established team. He is a businessman, so he will look after his business interests, if that includes adding residential units to add value to a future sale, then that's business sense.
If we'd stayed up, we might have been better off more quickly due to increased revenue. As it is, it will take much time to correct and regain consistent Prem status. The best thing for the club would be if Khan fell in love with Fulham, like MAF did, but it is unlikely with the amount of unnecessary stick that he gets.
Riverside Block W

Finnegans Wake

Solely blaming Kahn is just thick.

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 20, 2015, 03:31:04 PM
Quote from: Mighty Maik on August 20, 2015, 03:27:35 PM
Is it bashing Khan? I tend to think there is merit in Rock's view. Tony Khan's comment on twitter that they have come to "innovate" should send a shiver up our spines. Particularly since their innovation has, so far, cost us a place in the PL and looks set to see us mired in the Championship for ages.  So too should the news that the club has applied for a variation in the planning so that they can build flats on the corners of the Riverside stand and underground parking (under the pitch) make us anxious. Are we back to the future? A club whose real value lies in the development of the ground into flats?  If Khan is committed to the success of the club at the highest level he needs to demonstrate that ambition. Remember what Kit inherited. A club in disarray which had lost its soul on the pitch and was losing it rapidly off it. Magath wasn't just bad - he was poisonous. He took away the good will of the players and many of the fans. Everyone is dismayed at the state we are in. Is the new football structure working? Is Mike Rigg supportive or simply a threat to all of the playing staff's employment? Another post pointed out that we only played with freedom after Rotherham had its points deduction and we were safe. That observation feels true to me which suggests that the atmosphere is still punitive rather than asperiational. Khan is an absentee owner. There is nothing to admire in that particularly when we are struggling. God Bless Fayed for his scarf waving and insane pronouncements and yes for the Michael Jackson statue. Fulham was fun. It was mad. And there were years were played with no fear and could beat anyone. I want those years back. Khan doesn't know they existed.

I echo your wise words.

As do I.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: The Rock on August 21, 2015, 11:32:17 PM
Is it bashing Khan? I tend to think there is merit in Rock's view. Tony Khan's comment on twitter that they have come to "innovate" should send a shiver up our spines. Particularly since their innovation has, so far, cost us a place in the PL and looks set to see us mired in the Championship for ages.  So too should the news that the club has applied for a variation in the planning so that they can build flats on the corners of the Riverside stand and underground parking (under the pitch) make us anxious. Are we back to the future? A club whose real value lies in the development of the ground into flats?  If Khan is committed to the success of the club at the highest level he needs to demonstrate that ambition. Remember what Kit inherited. A club in disarray which had lost its soul on the pitch and was losing it rapidly off it. Magath wasn't just bad - he was poisonous. He took away the good will of the players and many of the fans. Everyone is dismayed at the state we are in. Is the new football structure working? Is Mike Rigg supportive or simply a threat to all of the playing staff's employment? Another post pointed out that we only played with freedom after Rotherham had its points deduction and we were safe. That observation feels true to me which suggests that the atmosphere is still punitive rather than asperiational. Khan is an absentee owner. There is nothing to admire in that particularly when we are struggling. God Bless Fayed for his scarf waving and insane pronouncements and yes for the Michael Jackson statue. Fulham was fun. It was mad. And there were years were played with no fear and could beat anyone. I want those years back. Khan doesn't know they existed.

I echo your wise words.

As do I.

Ok so it's not MAF's fault at all. It's not kits fault either but khan is trying to sell the club for flats and has devised our decline to make himself a profit of 1% of his net worth to destroy a 125 year old club. Now I get it, it makes perfect sense. How silly was I.

The Rock

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on August 21, 2015, 10:57:06 PM
I like khan. (Mainly on gut instinct which I can't argue with you about unless you want a stool sample). Not what's happened under him but I think a bigger picture  needs to be looked at;
That's unlucky.
Some have.
Rather than doing a QPR he is sticking by the rules. This strikes me as honourable.

I like your style, but good intentions don't bring results. Some here are willing to see outside of the fishbowl and bring these questions about. I'll remained balanced, but I'm not so sure.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: The Rock on August 22, 2015, 12:30:22 AM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on August 21, 2015, 10:57:06 PM
That's unlucky.
Some have.

I like your style, but good intentions don't bring results. Some here are willing to see outside of the fishbowl and bring these questions about. I'll remained balanced, but I'm not so sure.

Thank you for such a reasoned response. I'm not sure either. It's all conjecture. We all want fulham to do well and I doubt khan wants any different.

KP_FFC

blaming khan is moronic

he picked kit because we all wanted him, even i did.

Kit's at fault for this not khan, and khan is reluctant to sack kit because of the amount of managers we've had.

Logicalman

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on August 21, 2015, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: The Rock on August 21, 2015, 11:32:17 PM

I echo your wise words.

As do I.

Ok so it's not MAF's fault at all. It's not kits fault either but khan is trying to sell the club for flats and has devised our decline to make himself a profit of 1% of his net worth to destroy a 125 year old club. Now I get it, it makes perfect sense. How silly was I.

No, No, No, that was LAST years anti-Khan conspiracy theory! I do wish people would keep up with the Hate-Khan campaign press releases, this year it's all about him wanting to move the NFL games to the Cottage! I know it's tru, it was on the internet, and even more so, it was even on Farcebroke, so it HAS to be true.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

WayneKerrins

Quote from: Craven Mad on August 21, 2015, 03:30:40 PM
Quote from: WayneKerrins on August 21, 2015, 03:14:56 PM
Cheers Rock.
Trouble is mate even when you set out facts a poster with over 2000 posts without a hint of irony says, and it's worthy of a new line,
"I think Khan has been brilliant so far".
Badly advised? maybe, unlucky? Perhaps, naive? Probably
But no apparently he's been "brilliant".
Jeesus wept....I mean genuinely wept...

And for the record I was one of the earliest and most vocal critics of the latter period Fayed cash squeeze which started the decline which that buffoon Jol hastened by a season or so. My beef with Khan is post relegation.

If you want to disagree with me, feel free, but there's no need to throw shade and be churlish about it; we have a difference of opinion, so what?

I can't disagree with the argument that Khan has owned us during our worst spell in 15-odd years, I just don't point the finger of blame at him for our results.

You want him to spend a % of his wealth on us, but he has spent a lot of money trying to fix the issue; Mitrog and Ross being just two examples of very expensive players he's bought us (before us, how many Championship teams spent £10m+ on a player?).

Khan's also tried changing things by bringing in new managers (possibly too many new managers), but with no success. He won't have picked those managers btw, he'll have been advised and told how much the severance deal would cost, and asked whether he'd sanction it - which he did..

My opinion - and this is where we obviously disagree - is that I don't think he's personally responsible for the predicament we're in, and as far as the job of owner goes (provide funds/improve the club as a whole), I genuinely - without a hint of irony - think he has been brilliant for the reasons I stated above. The one area which hasn't improved at all (and is notably worse) is results, but - as I've said - I think he's tried to remedy that issue by conventional means (money/managerial changes) to no effect, so now is taking some time for consolidation/stability, before embarking on more drastic changes.

I know we all want Khan to drop £50m on transfers, but it's not as simple as that (look at Bristol City) and it isn't guaranteed results (thanks, Mitrog) and can result in a far worse situation if we get an embargo (Blackburn Rovers, for example).

So, yeah, thanks for the criticism, but I have my opinion - which I feel is valid - and I'm happy to acknowledge yours without acting like a child about it...

Trying to constructively move this forward, would your opinion change at all if we sign both Gayle and Dunk before the end of the window? Cos there's still time...

Wasn't aware my post was in any way offensive.

Sorry but the reality is that Khan hasn't put in a bean post relegation whilst being ultimately accountable for a raft of wrong calls.
I simply am incredulous that that deserves the soubriquet " brilliant".

I respect your sincerity but cannot fathom how you can be so complimentary of a stewardship that has been disastrous from pretty much day 1 and has featured so many bad decisions, compounded, since relegation, with running a transfer surplus. I would say "debacle" when you say " brilliant".

WayneKerrins

Quote from: Arthur on August 21, 2015, 10:29:14 PM
Quote from: WayneKerrins on August 20, 2015, 03:24:01 PM
There are approximately 12 (seemingly genuine) Fulham fans who are defending Khan.
The facts we all know are:
1) he said he would do what it takes to take us back to the Prem
2) he said it wasn't always about balancing the books
3) in his December program notes he said the role of the academy was to stock the first team
4) in May he said there was a lot of work to be done on the squad to get it ready for "the start" of the season ( note not 1st Sept)
5) in the last 3 windows we are comfortably in transfer surplus..he hasnt put another dime in.
6) the jags have the biggest headroom on the NFL salary cap and a woeful record under Khans tenure.
7) he backed the decision to keep Kit despite about as near consensus ever seen from the fan base that he wasn't remotely the best man for the job
8) at time of writing our midfield is much improved if still unbalanced, our Defence and attack are much worse/slightly worse than the one that was close to relegation.
9) MJG has been told in his meetings with the club that 'make no mistake Mr Khan expects a top 6 finish.

Now for my opinion, given 1-9 how can so many posters who support our club not see that criticism of Khan's disastrous stewardship is warranted?
He is a self styled, voluntary, custodian who is presiding over a debacle. The current squad under the current manager haven't a snowballs chance in hell of making the play offs.
For the sake of a fraction of a % of his net worth he could bring in 3 players to make us genuine contenders whilst still complying with FFP. But here we are 3 games in with 1 point and 5 points at least spunked by fielding some of the same hapless defenders as last season and one whom wasn't even good enough to get into that defence is now playing on the wrong flank.
Given this and rooting this in the context of 1-9 how can anyone seriously be surprised that Khan is the subject of sustained criticism from many fans?
I mean seriously what don't you get?

I can tell you what I 'don't get':

I 'don't get' to the conclusion that Khan cares not whether we return to the PL.
I 'don't get' to the conclusion that he was naïve to accept advice from Alistair Mackintosh.
I 'don't get' to the conclusion that the likelihood of our being relegated would have been any the less had MAF remained as Chairman.

Whether or not you agree with my assessment, I do not know (but it would surprise me, of course, if you did); I am merely outlining why I think I feel less inclined to be critical of Khan than you.

I also think that some of your list of facts can be interpreted in different ways:
Fact 1) can be better assessed when the transfer window closes.
Fact 2) has surely been clarified by Rigg's recent statement that the Club would work within the rules of FFP.
Fact 3) is not referred to in your summary. It is not self-evident (to me) in what way you are holding this statement against our Chairman.
Fact 4) is, in an instance such as this, not to be taken literally. Doubtless many a chairman and manager use the term 'new season' in May. How many of them actually mean that there can be no transfer business between the opening fixture and the end of the transfer window?
Fact 5) is not something that I can verify without research, so I shall accept it. Is it not the case, however, that FFP regulations apply to more than just our transfer dealings. With a shortfall of tens-of-millions in our income following relegation, we had to balance our books. Could not a net transfer gain have been a means to an end?
Fact 6), if true (and I have no reason to doubt that it isn't), ostensibly adds weight to the notion that Khan doesn't 'do what it takes' (Fact 1). Knowing nothing about Gridiron, however, I wouldn't know whether (as in the case of Fact 5) there are mitigating circumstances. Even if there are none, on its own, it would not significantly influence my opinion.
Fact 7) is disingenuous: you ignore that the original 'near consensus' was for Symons' appointment in the first place. At the time, few, if any, supporters were expecting anything more than that he keep us up. I can understand why the Club refrained from sacking him at the end of last season.
Fact 8) is not a fact at all; it is an opinion. I shall spare you the details, but I am not entirely of the same opinion.
Fact 9) is, as far as I know, correct. I shall make the assumption that this relates to your opinion that there has been a lack of investment this summer.

Though we see Khan in a different light, I do not say that you are wrong. Until it is evident that the decline of the past two seasons is being reversed, my support will not be without its reservations. For me, time will tell.

Thanks for comprehensive response. On fact points:
1) yes, as Cravenmad suggests bringing in a quality CF and CB in the next week or so would improve his terrible post relegation track record. Leaving it a bit late Id suggest.
2) there are plenty of studies around on what headroom we have if we go to max FFP losses. Haven't seen one that suggests we didn't have £10m at least. We're currently in surplus.
3) his plan was to use quality kids to feed first team. In practice the best are leaving and he appointed and then persevered with Kit who clearly is more in favour of older, proven, champ performers.
4) no that's semantics. The season has well and truly started and I don't think any fan or Kit would say the tools were in place.
5) please see 2 above
6) noted
7) Not at all. The decision he got wrong, in my opinion, was persevering with KS when the season ended. Big majority of fans I knkw (100 plus) wanted him out and think majority of posters on forums had same view.
8) yes you're right. It's not measurable fact. Think defence opinion would be hard to argue against but happy to hear your view, similarly hard to say that Cairnwy Ohara and Pringles aren't on balance better than Ryiz. Again happy to hear your view. Up front we lost Hugo's pace and a fair few goals and got nothing in.did I miss something?
9) Noted

I guess ultimately time will tell. Thought today's attendance was a message of sorts.

Logicalman

Quote from: Mighty Maik on August 21, 2015, 04:33:57 PM
gezkc - Two is what was described to me. Each corner of the Riverside Stand. Of course, that would mean that the precedent for residential development would be established.

The analysis that the rot had started before Khan, is of course correct. MAF had, reportedly, been trying to sell the club for a bit and he naturally cashed out some of the assets (Dempsey and Dembele) before he did. We were caught in the trap of loan deals for high profile players that inflated our wage bill while making us look desireable to a non-discerning eye. "Total Football" remember? - Which turned out to be a bunch of individual egos doing whatever they wanted once in a while.  A far cry from the organised years of Hodgson (and indeed Tigana!!) with lesser known players punching well above their presumed weight game after game. God bless, 'Bairdiniho', Gera, and all the others that were under rated but outstanding for Fulham.

Yes, I guess we'll disagree, Craven Mad, but I'll still go to the game believing we can win even when all the evidence says we won't - and I'll cheer with you when we do. And I'll still be cross when Khan disapears at half-time and doesn't come back. But I won't blame Kit for the mess Khan and Lamping have caused while saying they are committed to the future of the club. Right now, for me, Kit is a grafter and Khan appears to be a grifter - true to the homophone of his name - until he backs up his ambition with a constructive and well executed plan to improve the club.

A Grifter?

So someone who starts education in a new country at 16, works his way through that education washing dishes, and then once graduated BSc in Industrial Engineering after 4 years gains a position as a Director by the age of 21, then creates his own company with a small loan at the age of 28, and finally buying out the original company that hired him, building it further so it supplies the US Auto manufacturers, is a grifter?

What kind of success solely off your own back have you had that makes Khan a grifter then?  He's done a lot and gained a lot from his own hard work, and has been a damn sight more successful at it than a lot of people I know.

You might not like the guy, you might hate him for what you and some people perceive to be his failure to return our club back to where we believe we should be, but when you start insulting him in that way, you need something to back it up.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.