watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tube Strike - from 18:30pm - 25 August 2015

Started by Roberty, August 21, 2015, 10:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberty

I have been living abroad and was looking forward to coming back on 25 Aug because I will arrive in time to see the game against Sheffield United

With that in mind I brought a ticket on-line

What joy - yesterday I received an email from tfl to let me know that their valued employees on the tube network have decided to take two unscheduled and I hope unpaid days off next week, the first of which will start and 6.30pm on Tuesday.

Since an increasing number of their employees who sit at the front of the trains no longer actually drive the train but instead carry of the duties previously done by the guard, I look forward to the day they are removed altogether. Without human intervention I am sure the system will be a safer place because it will eliminate SPAD's (signal passed at danger) and the former "drivers" (who increasingly do not drive the train anyway) can do something useful - like customer service duties

For now I need to do some research to work out just how to get to the game on what I presume will be an over-crowded bus network.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

westcliff white

I feel your pain, they did announce the strikes 2 weeks ago.

costs y business roughly 5k per day these people go on strike and I still have to pay my employees.
Every day is a Fulham day

Scrumpy

The case for and against is maybe for another thread, but I cannot believe these strikes are doing their general 'PR' any good at all.

Most people I know despise Tube drivers now. They feel that they're very well paid for what they do. Apparently some Tube drivers earn more than an Easy Jet Pilot FFS!

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

andyk

Ah yes, the value of belonging to a strong, united and worker centred trade union. Suck it up losers, the free market vultures are out there ready to offer you a zero hours contract and a lifetime of insecurity.
Remember one thing I have been told by business owners, they will put all their efforts into making sure they pay the lowest wages possible, for the longest hours of work possible and the fewest benefits possible and they hold most of the cards. If people don't defend their wages and benefits through a strong trade union they will be picked up and squeezed like a lemon and then thrown on the scrapheap.

westcliff white

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 21, 2015, 11:08:49 AM
The case for and against is maybe for another thread, but I cannot believe these strikes are doing their general 'PR' any good at all.

Most people I know despise Tube drivers now. They feel that they're very well paid for what they do. Apparently some Tube drivers earn more than an Easy Jet Pilot FFS!

Agree Scrumpy, would say drivers not on strike this time apparently, but you are spot on. They have no care for the innocent people or business's they affect. Safety will be bought up again, but this is over working the night times during weekends from 12/09, so just strike on those shifts don't affect every one else for no reason what so ever. In the end it will come down to money no matter what they say, but as you say whys and wherefores for another thread and another time or in fact not at all
Every day is a Fulham day

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Roberty on August 21, 2015, 10:35:02 AM
For now I need to do some research to work out just how to get to the game on what I presume will be an over-crowded bus network.

Try the TfL Journey Planner: https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

rweller86

@rweller

Roberty

Quote from: andyk on August 21, 2015, 11:22:16 AM
Ah yes, the value of belonging to a strong, united and worker centred trade union. Suck it up losers, the free market vultures are out there ready to offer you a zero hours contract and a lifetime of insecurity.
Remember one thing I have been told by business owners, they will put all their efforts into making sure they pay the lowest wages possible, for the longest hours of work possible and the fewest benefits possible and they hold most of the cards. If people don't defend their wages and benefits through a strong trade union they will be picked up and squeezed like a lemon and then thrown on the scrapheap.

Yep and when all of the trains will run without someone sitting at the front of them the gravy train will end

We can all thank Ken Livingston for that because he is the one who got Gordon Brown to finance a tube upgrade - not that I think he had the demise of the tube train driver in mind when he did it

Funny world
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Craven Mad

This is such a drag for me. It's rare I get to go to midweek games but was planning on going to this one, it's gonna be a nightmare.

I hope this strike gets cancelled, but somewhat doubt it - TFL staff are even less cooperative than they used to be, and seem to be sadistically enjoying the control they have over London right now... Sick of them all.

Ron Sheepskin

I'd held off booking a ticket for this game, because of the tube strike. If they deign to call it off, it will be at the 11th hour, and we'll have to pay on the gate for the game, which will undoubtedly cost more.

Gentleman Jim it is for me then.

Incidentally, I have been told (and haven't checked it out) that in France when the train drivers strike, they turn up and work as normal, just leaving all the ticket barriers open, so nobody has to pay for their journey. That way the company gets no money, and the drivers aren't hated by those they inconvenience. If this is true, it's a lovely idea.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

H4usuallysitting

If you're landing at LHR, jump on the X26 to Kingston, then a train to Putney.....the X26:only has about 3 stops between LHR & kingston

Hurby

Quote from: andyk on August 21, 2015, 11:22:16 AM

Hear, hear.

Vienna1

Quote from: Roberty on August 21, 2015, 10:35:02 AM
I have been living abroad and was looking forward to coming back on 25 Aug because I will arrive in time to see the game against Sheffield United

With that in mind I brought a ticket on-line

What joy - yesterday I received an email from tfl to let me know that their valued employees on the tube network have decided to take two unscheduled and I hope unpaid days off next week, the first of which will start and 6.30pm on Tuesday.

Since an increasing number of their employees who sit at the front of the trains no longer actually drive the train but instead carry of the duties previously done by the guard, I look forward to the day they are removed altogether. Without human intervention I am sure the system will be a safer place because it will eliminate SPAD's (signal passed at danger) and the former "drivers" (who increasingly do not drive the train anyway) can do something useful - like customer service duties

I sympathise with you! I will be in London end of October. I don't think those people know what they are doing to tourists who spend their well earned money in London (and thereby make a contribution to the British economy)! But will stay at Lillie Road near Earl's Court, so theoretically could walk to The Cottage.