watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (23/08/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 23, 2015, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Result: Cauley Woodrow strikes late on to give Fulham draw against Huddersfield Town

Cauley Woodrow fired in just before the final whistle to give Fulham a 1-1 draw with Huddersfield Town, who had gone ahead thanks to a Nahki Wells strike.

Fulham started strongly and Alexander Kacaniklic saw a half-volley dip just over the bar, before Dan Burns had a header from Jamie O'Hara's corner cleared off the line.

Ross McCormack was denied a penalty after tumbling inside the box just before half-time, while Sean Scannell saw two efforts within minutes of each other fly just wide as Huddersfield upped the tempo after the break.

Bermuda international Wells got Town in front after getting on the end of Harry Bunn's well-worked cross, before Scannell and Mark Hudson both came close with headers.

Moussa Dembele headed McCormack's long ball over as Fulham pushed forward to try and get an equaliser, and it came 94 minutes into the game when Woodrow controlled the ball on his chest to slam a volley in to the back of the net.

The result sees Fulham stay in 21st spot in the Championship while Huddersfield sit one place ahead of them in 20th.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/result/result-late-woodrow-goal-grabs-fulham-point_241116.html

WhiteJC

Fulham call for Symons' head despite last gasp equaliser against Huddersfield - 90 minutes in 90 seconds

All the key moments from Craven Cottage as the Whites rescue a point

Fulham fans were left more relieved than delighted by the last gasp equaliser in their draw with Huddersfield - with many still screaming for blood after the leveller.

Leaving the pitch to chants of "Symons out," the Fulham boss was left frustrated as his side looked completely devoid of creativity, but at least this time, the 'last minute goal' boot was on the other foot.

After Nakhi Wells opened the scoring on the hour mark - after some more culpable defending - a last ditch ball into the box was chested down well by Cauley Woodrow and slammed beyond the grasp of Joe Murphy.

The result was harsh on Murphy, who had made a series of wonderful saves throughout the match - most notably a second half header from Moussa Dembele.

But Huddersfield were well worth at least a point, with Harry Bunn and Nakhi Wells causing chaos throughout the second half.

Fulham were left with a second point from four matches and Symons still under severe pressure from the restless Craven Cottage crowd, who have endured a nightmare three years (and counting).

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/fulham-call-symons-head-despite-9910439?

WhiteJC

Fulham 1-1 Huddersfield Town: Cauley Woodrow nets injury time equaliser to earn Cottagers a draw after Nakhi Wells opener
Fulham were held to a 1-1 draw by Huddersfield at Craven Cottage
Nahki Wells put the Terriers in front with a neat finish in the second half
Substitute Cauley Woodrow earned Cottagers a point in the dying seconds

A last-gasp equaliser from substitute Caluey Woodrow rescued Fulham as they snatched a 1-1 draw against Huddersfield.

Nahki Wells had given the Terriers the lead early in the second half, but Woodrow climbed off the bench to grab a point as Fulham's winless run continued.

It meant both Fulham and Huddersfield are are still yet to win in four league games, with Kit Symons, in his first full season, is coming under increasing pressure from the fans.

Cauley Woodrow celebrates after his injury time goal earned Fulham a 1-1 draw with Huddersfield

Woodrow came on as a substitute before reacting to a knockdown from Dan Burn

Nakhi Wells (left) had given Huddersfield Town the lead after slipping in behind Fulham's defence

It took just 18 minutes for the disgruntled home fans to turn on Fulham and by that time the hosts were lucky to still be level.
Jacob Butterfield, who had been the subject of failed bids from Derby County, saw his 25-yard shot turned away by Fulham goalkeeper Andy Lonergan with Harry Bunn unable to force the rebound home.
Fulham finally threatened when Dan Burn's header was kept out by Joe Murphy in a rare attack.
The home side were getting nowhere against an organised Huddersfield side and Jamie O'Hara took matters into his own hands from long-range, with his effort kept out by another fine Murphy save.
Butterfield was catching the eye and impressive footwork saw him open up the opportunity to strike at goal where Lonergan was once again equal to his effort. 

Huddersfield's Dean Whitehead (left) catches Ross McCormack of Fulham during the opening exchanges

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/08/22/15/2B938AEC00000578-3207065-image-a-2_1440254434191.jpg
Shaun Hutchinson of Fulham was forced off through injury after only 10 minutes of the game

Moussa Dembele competes in an aerial battle in front of empty stands at Craven Cottage

Huddersfield's Jason Butterfield (3rd left) attempts to break the deadlock by shooting through a crowded area

The hosts, however, looked a side devoid of confidence in a turgid opening period that saw them rarely threaten the Huddersfield goal. It was Chris Powell's side who looked the more threatening, with Sean Scannell going close five minutes after half-time.

The winger benefitted from a fortunate rebound but his low shot lacked power and was easily gathered by Lonergan.

Fulham's best hope of a breakthrough seemed to lie with a set-piece, and it nearly reaped rewards on the hour mark as Ross McCormack's free-kick was met by a powerful header from Moussa Dembele, only for Murphy to deny the striker.

Fulham manager Kit Symons watches on as his counterpart Chris Powell is greeted

Fulham's Burn rises to clear a header before having his own effort cleared off the line

Harry Bunn (left) embraces Wells after the Terriers forward had given the visitors the lead

It proved crucial as Huddersfield went up the other end to take a 62nd minute lead via Wells, as the striker finished easily from Harry Bunn's threaded through-ball.

The supporters soon made their feelings known, as the boos began to ring out around the ground. It could have been worse as Scannell's header was kept out by Lonergan. From the resulting corner, Mark Hudson headed narrowly over from close-range.

Fulham were struggling to find a way through but they struck with almost the last kick of the game as Woodrow reacted first to a goalmouth scramble to claim a second point of the season.

Woodrow strikes through a crowded penalty area to net the equaliser in the dying seconds of the game

The Fulham midfielder prays to the heavens after his late strike earned the Cottagers a draw

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3207065/Fulham-1-1-Huddersfield-Town-Cauley-Woodrow-nets-injury-time-equaliser.html#ixzz3jcgPnV58
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Kit Symons discusses fans' unrest, Huddersfield draw and transfers

Kit Symons' reaction to the last gasp home draw with Huddersfield Town

Kit Symons was in a fighting mood after Fulham scored a last minute equaliser against Huddersfield.

Despite what should be a joyous moment for the Whites, it was met with boos from the Craven Cottage crowd.

Symons on the 1-1 draw
"I didn't think it was a particularly good game at all. First goal, I thought was going to be key. As it pans out, luckily we got ourselves back into it and maybe getting the late goal instead of conceding them hopefully that's the little bit of luck we need to get us going."

Symons on missing factor
"As much as anything else, we want a bit of luck. We get a boy (Sakari Matilla) injured in the warm up, a boy (Shaun Hutchinson) injured after five minutes. We get Luke Garbutt in on a season-long loan and he got injured in his first pre-season game. We need something to go our way."

Symons on fans' unrest
"I was just pleased to see it go in. I understand it (the unrest), I've been in and around football for a long time, I've been in/around this football club a long time. I know how this game works, people get restless. I also know that sometimes you need to show real character and get through tough times, and it makes you better for it"

Symons on transfers
"There are certain things that we need, the chairman has been very supportive. It's about getting the right players in. I'm still confident. We're looking at bringing in more players, I'm told things are close but until players actually sign, it's a million miles away."

Symons on a message to the fans
"Everyone says be patient, give us time, those sort of things. I would say the same things, but people do what they want to do. I mean I'm always going to do the right thing for this football club, I always have done and I always will do."

Symons on signing another goalkeeper
"Yes. That will be a bit of good news. We'll be looking to bring in someone (reportedly Joe Lewis) on a short-term loan. Yeah (it is close).

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kit-symons-discusses-fans-unrest-9910713?

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Kit Symons hopes Fulham's last-gasp equaliser against Huddersfield Town will provide the spark the Whites need to kickstart their season.

Fulham had conceded late goals in their first three league games but finally the tables turned as an injury-time strike by substitute Cauley Woodrow earned the Whites a point in a 1-1 draw with the Terriers after Nahki Wells had put the visitors in front just after the hour mark.

"I didn't think it was a particularly good game at all," said Symons afterwards. "I felt the first goal would be key but luckily we got back into it. Maybe getting a late goal, rather than conceding one, will provide the little bit of luck we need to get us going."

The draw leaves Fulham on two points for the season and still looking for their first win of the campaign.

"We've been involved in four Championship games and they've all been incredibly tight which is what this league is all about," continued Symons. "I would have liked a bigger points return from the four, that's obvious, but we've been in touch in every match and should have got more out of them. At least today we had a late rally and grabbed a point and maybe that's the kickstart we need.

"The points return isn't particularly good, I'd like that to be a lot better but I think that will come. There are things that aren't right which we know aren't right but we're trying to rectify them.

"We want a little bit of luck. We get a boy [Sakari Matilla] injured in the warm-up, we get another [Shaun Hutchinson] injured after five minutes. We need something to go our way and it will.

"It wasn't a good game today. I'm not saying we battered them. We dominated possession and had more shots on target, so statistically we were the better side but it was a scrappy game, both teams were making unforced errors. It was roasting hot out there so it wasn't easy for both sets of players and they worked their socks off.

"We've got a lot of craft and guile but some of our more creative players didn't show what they could do today."

There was some unrest from the home support at the final whistle and Symons responded: "I understand it. I've been around football a long time and I know how the game works. People get restless. But also I know you need to show real character to get through tough times and it makes you all the better for it. I will always do the right things for this Club."

Matilla was replaced by Tim Ream on the bench after being injured in the warm-up and Hutchinson was forced off early on following a whack to the head.

Symons stated: "I think Shaun's okay. Within half an hour he was back to normal. It knocked the wind out of his sails, but he'll be in tomorrow and will be assessed to see if he's fit for training on Monday. We'll follow the protocol for that sort of thing.

"Tim has just come in and hasn't played for about four weeks. It was a bit too early to involve him but he was our 19th man and came along with the squad. Matilla picked up the injury and Ream had to come on to the bench but it was too early too start him."

With the transfer window closing soon, Symons confirmed he was still keen to strengthen his side, adding: "Hopefully, as there are certain things that we need. The Chairman has been supportive; it's about getting the right players in. I'm told things are close but until they sign anything can happen. You can be quite confident you've got someone and it falls through last minute."

One deal that is close is a loan move for a goalkeeper following the long-term injury to Marcus Bettinelli.

"Marcus has damaged two ligaments - his MCL and PCL - so we're waiting on surgeon advice as to what the procedure is going to be," said Symons. "But it's going to be a good few months."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/august/22/manager-reaction

WhiteJC

UNDER-18s: Fulham 2 Swans 1

. . . Darame strike not enough for young Swans

Swansea City Under-18s fell to a narrow defeat away at Fulham in the Barclays U18 Premier League on Saturday afternoon.

Fulham hit the post in the first-half before Swans defender Dan Jefferies saw his header blocked on the line.

The home side took the lead after 20 minutes as Stephen Humphrys got in behind the Swans defence to slot past Lewis Thomas in goal.

Fulham doubled their lead moments later after a well-worked passing move found Josh Walker in space and he fired into the bottom corner.

Causso Darame got a goal back for the Swans after the winger tapped home a spilled shot and despite chances the scholars failed to find an equaliser.

An injury to midfielder Keiran Evans reduced the young Swans to ten men halfway through the second period leaving them short in attack.

And Fulham held on to victory which leaves the Swans searching for their first point of the campaign.

Despite the defeat, U18s coach Eric Ramsay was pleased with the creativity the young Swans showed throughout.

"Despite the result I am pleased with the performance," he said. "The fact we were competitive throughout the game - even when going down to ten men – was hugely pleasing.

"On another day we would have been a bigger threat on the counter attack.

"We had five or six chances that we should have taken, and the score line could have been very different. 

"Myself and Chris Llewellyn now have time to work with the squad before the next game in two weeks. Today has been a great starting point and we need to add more layers technically and tactically."

SWANS U18s: Lewis Thomas, Aaron Lewis, Daniel Jefferies, Ben Jones (Jordan Jones, 58), Mael Davies (Sean Hanbury, 63), Jack Evans, Tom Dyson, Keiran Evans, Causso Darame, Liam Edwards (Brandon Griffiths, 52), Matt Blake

Swansea City Under-18s are next in action on Saturday, September 5 when they host Reading at Landore (1pm).

Read more at http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/under-21s-fulham-2-swans-1-2639993.aspx#8yDTSgrffMxGVxJj.99

WhiteJC

Brighton turn down FOURTH bid for defender from Fulham

Brighton have turned down yet another bid for Lewis Dunk from Fulham, according to The Argus.

It is the fourth time that the Cottagers have had a bid for the defender rejected by Brighton but it is unlikely to be the last time that they lodge a bid for him.

Their latest bid was in excess of £5m and the club were hoping to finally agree a deal for the 23-year old. However, Brighton have once again turned it down, as they remain eager to keep Dunk at the Amex Stadium.

They are so keen to keep the centre-half at the club that they have offered him a new deal, despite him still having three years to run on his current contract. The fee that Fulham have offered for the player is also still below the Seagulls valuation of the player.

Dunk has featured just once so far this year but he played 44 times for Brighton in the 2014/15 campaign and was a key player for them, defending well and even bagging himself seven goals.

As previously mentioned, it is the fourth time Fulham have seen a bid for the defender turned down this summer but their interest has shown no sign of cooling and they could very well make another bid for the 23-year old soon, unless he puts pen to paper on a new deal at the Amex.

In addition to this bid, Brighton have also rejected a bid from Derby for Dale Stephens.

http://the72.co.uk/35141/brighton-turn-down-fourth-bid-for-defender-from-fulham/?