watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can this squad play good football

Started by The Swan, September 02, 2015, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Since Jol, then Felix and then Kit Fulham have never played good football. OK we have had the odd good game, but our standard of football under these managers has been dier.
The Swan

Blanco

It all went downhill when Martin Jol arrived. Europa League season was brilliant obviously.  Hughes did well with us. We played ok football. Then he left and well... you know.

These days I can't see us playing "good" football but as long as we win I'm not overly bothered.

bill taylors apprentice

Yes!

But can the manager coach and inspire them to do so?

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jonaldiniho 88

I think this squad has the capability to play some very good football. I think with our defence ream, jazz and husband can all play (don't know about Stearman) our midfield is very strong and in the last two games I went played some good stuff on the floor. It just seems in getting the ball up to the front men (man as Ross plays next to Ohara) it seems to break down a bit.

fcfulham55

I would have to say "No" whilst under Kit.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Fulham76

Potentially we could play some good football but kit seems to prefer the more direct approach. Far too many long balls for my liking, which usually results in us giving the ball away.

Asotosyios

It's up to Kit now. To be perfectly honest, it was always up to Kit (or whoever is the manager) but we can always find excuses why the football is not entertaining or simply good (the need for points/results, not the manager's team/players, etc.).

Even though I don't rate Jol, I will have to argue that we had more than the odd good game in his first season with us. Also, the 5-0 win against Norwich on the opening game of his second season was one of the best Fulham performances I have watched.

Adi-ffc

Quote from: Asotosyios on September 03, 2015, 08:50:05 AM
It's up to Kit now. To be perfectly honest, it was always up to Kit (or whoever is the manager) but we can always find excuses why the football is not entertaining or simply good (the need for points/results, not the manager's team/players, etc.).

Even though I don't rate Jol, I will have to argue that we had more than the odd good game in his first season with us. Also, the 5-0 win against Norwich on the opening game of his second season was one of the best Fulham performances I have watched.

Agreed. Don't think Jol ever recovered after his midfield was gutted shortly after that game. Was so excited after that performance, little did we know..

Asotosyios

Quote from: Adi-ffc on September 03, 2015, 08:52:30 AM
Quote from: Asotosyios on September 03, 2015, 08:50:05 AM

Agreed. Don't think Jol ever recovered after his midfield was gutted shortly after that game. Was so excited after that performance, little did we know..

True. We were quite good on the next game losing 3-2 at Old Trafford and then Dembele was sold to Tottenham. I think this affected us more than the Dempsey exit (he didn't play in those games).

filham

Over the summer we have signed a dozen new players and we assume that Kit has had a major input in choosing  them. Well the hard work starts now, these players will have to be moulded into a team and it may take a while. The pressure really is on Kit now.

It will be unusual if each of the new players proves a success, we should expect some disappointments and we may have to wait a while for good results. Perhaps the best we should hope for is mid table by Christmas.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Blanco on September 02, 2015, 08:39:58 PM
It all went downhill when Martin Jol arrived. Europa League season was brilliant obviously.  Hughes did well with us. We played ok football. Then he left and well... you know.

These days I can't see us playing "good" football but as long as we win I'm not overly bothered.

The team, the Europa League final team, performed poorly under Hughes in the first half of the season and were 18th in the league after a dire performance losing 3-1 to West Ham at home on Boxing Day. Our season turned around after Chris Baird's performance in scoring two goals away at Stoke and then the team reverted to Roy Hodson's tactics to see us through safely to 8th.

I am baffled as to how, for some, Hughes' era was seen in any way positive.

Good points made about the Jol era as well. The first season was decent. Losing Dembele and Dempsey's goals was a devastating blow to our football and Jol's motivation.

Yes, we have the players to play good football. All he acquisitions seem comfortable with the ball and can move it quickly. As Jonaldinho says, our moves seem to stall or breakdown when trying to get the ball to the forwards, McCormack and A.N. Other. McCormack plays too deep and the two forwards need to work together as a partnership. A few wins will boost confidence and we will see longer and more effective spells of good play.

Bassey the warrior

Hear hear. It puzzles me a bit because the U21's played good, expansive football during his tenure. Why has he abandoned this?

God The Mechanic

Hopefully having signed two players in central defence who have some form of composure and ability to pick a decent pass we should be able to build form the back more.  If Burn/Hutchinson/Boldurov couldn't get it to the midfield quickly it always ended up being aimlessly long.

Wolf

If by "good football" you mean the commonly held definition of "frequently win matches" then yes. But under a different manager.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

HatterDon

You have to admire Kit's ability to merge styles. I mean here he is having his team build up slowly from the back with too many sideways passes that let the defense get set up against us ... all the while shooting up long balls from the back line to the striker.

Amazing tactical flexibility.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel