watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, July 26, 2010, 04:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

With time we, sometimes, forgive former managers and players for some misdemeanors. However, I can never forgive Vic Buckingham for selling Graham Leggat to Birmingham. Okay he did buy Allan Clarke from Walsall....but to show the door to my second best ever player I have seen in Fulham shirt was unforgivable. Could play in any of the 5 forward postions could Graham and also score from any of them.....   

TonyGilroy

Leggatt did nothing after he left us to demonstrate that Buckingham was wrong.

One of my favourite Fulham players but he was well past his best.

Lighthouse

Players who leave Fulham often find it hard to re capture the form that made them worth a look in the first place. Of coarse there are exceptions to the rule. McDonald and Marsh and Clarke.

But an awful lot seem to have missed the Thames air when they leave.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Peabody

Have to agree with you Bog, VB made to many changes to quickly. I was mortified when he let Rodney go to QPR. I was even more agrieved when he let Jimmy Langley go, also to QPR. In fact, that was the one and only time that felt disillusioned with FFC. It did'nt last long though and despite what Tony says, I feel we could have got some more out of Graham Leggatt , I am convinced that he was so upset at being transferred that it affected his game.

bog

Morning peabody. Just saw your reply. I think you are right about Graham losing his love of the game. Buckingham did bring a few good ones in, Les Barrett a wondeful player. I think that it was Dave Sexton's coaching that got him out of the mire. I always wonder what would have happened if Serxton would have stayed at the club.

TonyGilroy

Sexton moved on to Arsenal, I think. He was that good a coach.

It's been traditional to blame Buckingham and it's clear that he was in no way a success but our problem in the 60s was Trinder.

Alan Clarke aside we bought no one of note. The great players from the late 50s/early 60s grew old and were gradually replaced by free transfers, has beens and kids. Relegation was inevitable and that it was X2 demonstrates just how far we'd deteriorated.

Trinder operated on a lower league budget and refused investment offers until too late when he took it from crooks.

I don't think Trinder was evil but he was old fashioned, small minded, naive and unambitious and that's why the club declined.

Peabody

Tony, it is not only me that was less than impressed with Buckingham. I quote from the 1987 book Fulham A Complete Record. "Yet Buckinghams tenure was not a happy one and relegation from Div was a constant threat". They also state " He tried to make too many changes too soonand suceeded in upsetting almost everyone".

Tonywa

But we were nearly always cheapskates and for that we can blame the board.  Although he proved not to be that bad a buy, I believe that when we purchased Bobby Howfield from Watford he could not even command a place in their first team.  So as a top division club, we were buying a player from the bottom division, who was in his late twenties and who could not get into a mediocre Fourth Division side.  Incredible when you think about it.

TW

TonyGilroy

I'm not praising Buckingham merely saying that he wasn't the main source of our problems. Bobby Robson couldn't turn us round and he proved to be a somewhat decent manager.

There are two rumours about Bobby Howfield. The one that I hope is true is that he left us to be a place kicker (correct term?) in American football and was a success.

The other is that he killed someone in America and got a life sentence.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Tonywa on July 27, 2010, 11:49:32 AM
But we were nearly always cheapskates and for that we can blame the board.  Although he proved not to be that bad a buy, I believe that when we purchased Bobby Howfield from Watford he could not even command a place in their first team.  So as a top division club, we were buying a player from the bottom division, who was in his late twenties and who could not get into a mediocre Fourth Division side.  Incredible when you think about it.

TW

Alan Clarke was, literally, the only notable incoming transfer throughout the 60s. The only player we paid any decent money for and whose best days were still ahead of him.

One only. In 10 years.

Thank you, Tommy Trinder.

Fernhurst

:037: The other is that he killed someone in America and got a life sentence.  :037:

BLIMEY.... DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THAT ONE IS TRUE????

HatterDon

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 27, 2010, 01:45:38 PM

I'm not praising Buckingham merely saying that he wasn't the main source of our problems. Bobby Robson couldn't turn us round and he proved to be a somewhat decent manager.

There are two rumours about Bobby Howfield. The one that I hope is true is that he left us to be a place kicker (correct term?) in American football and was a success.

Howfield did, indeed, become one of the first "soccer-style kickers" to make it in professional pointy football over here. As for the murdering someone, that's new to me. According to my friend wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Howfield

he became a banker [not quite a murderer, but close] in Denver and lives near there now at age 73. I was actually a little stunned to see what a goal machine he was in England. 9 goals in 25 first team matches would sound pretty good to me about now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CorkedHat

Quote from: HatterDon on July 27, 2010, 01:54:07 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 27, 2010, 01:45:38 PM

Howfield did, indeed, become one of the first "soccer-style kickers" to make it in professional pointy football over here. As for the murdering someone, that's new to me. According to my friend wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Howfield

he became a banker [not quite a murderer, but close] in Denver and lives near there now at age 73. I was actually a little stunned to see what a goal machine he was in England. 9 goals in 25 first team matches would sound pretty good to me about now.

It's a pity he didn't murder Trinder  :028:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

RidgeRider

I love these threads and look forward to each one as their connection with the past creates a deeper bond with the club for some of us newbies.

Appreciate it gents and DO carry on!

Tonywa

I was actually a little stunned to see what a goal machine he was in England. 9 goals in 25 first team matches would sound pretty good to me about now.
[/quote]

He scored three in the 10-1 win over Ipswich.

TW

Peabody

Dave Sexton did go on to coach Arsenal and was very good. Tommy Trinder was the cause of a lot of Fulham's problems but he did not decide to get rid of Graham Leggatt, Rodney Marsh, Maurice Cook, Jimmy Langley and on the coaching staff Arthur Stevens and Joe Bacuzzi. They left because of Vic Buckingham and although I have no means of substantiay=ting this but he also wanted to get rid of a certain John Norman Haynes but was warned of as a step to far. That was Vic Buckingham.

CorkedHat

There was something of the Tosh Chamberlain about Howfield's left shot. When he hit it, it stayed hit.
That ten goal romp over Ipswich is indelible in my mind. It seemed impossible not to score - even Stratton and Yorky Whiting would have got a hat trick.
There was nothing classy about Bobby Howfield, not in the same way as Leggatt, Mitten or Barrett, but his strategy was if the ball was there, then kick the damned thing and don't fart arse about with it. He knew his limitations, did Bobby, and he played to them. Good advice to some other players I could mention

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us