watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Looking at the rivals -

Started by FPT, September 10, 2015, 11:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PokerMatt

Was at the Brighton game today seeing as we play tomorrow, interested to see how top of the table Brighton and arguably the strongest team in the league hull are looking.

I'll never understand how Brighton are clear at the top with that squad. Hughton is doing absolute wonders. They're boring as HELL to watch, but I guess that's the mark of champions in modern football isn't it?

As soon as Brighton were 1-0 up, which was what 7 mins in, that was it. 10 men behind the ball, no cares about scoring a second. Hull had no chance of getting back in it.

Hull really disappointed me. So much premier league experience but they all looked like they didn't care and not up for the fight.

Just goes to show if you can coach your players to be tight and rock solid at the back then you only need the one goal. Dunk can't even get a look in.

Kayal and  Stephens in the middle for Brighton are superb, I must admit. You look at their team and there really shouldn't be that much quality, but being solid is key in this league and I'd be shocked if they don't go up.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

FPT

Must agree Poker Matt, I've really enjoyed watching Beram Kayal this season. Reminds me of the 'old school' central midfielder in a way that would play in a 442, isn't strictly recognised as a defensive or offensive central midfielder - would do both with comfort.

As you say, Chris Hughton really is getting more from less and definitely out 'resulting' their quality. Today was a huge win for them to assert themselves as a team to watch at the top of the table.

PokerMatt

I think you're right FPT - he was the more attacking of the two, yet still not creative per se. Great turning circle, low centre of gravity, very hard to dispossess.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Julius Geezer

Quote from: FPT on September 12, 2015, 03:50:53 PM
Quote from: Ordar on September 12, 2015, 06:55:29 AM
What 5 players would you take from Hull over what we have? Hernandez maybe..Diame..?. I'm just not seeing it. Austin and Phillips from QPR, maybe Tom Ince and Thorne from Derby.
Personally I wouldn't take any of the goalkeepers or back 4s for our starting 11. Even rb, which is probably our weakest area, I'm not convinced any of those are better.
Stearman and Ream are better than all those centre backs

As I said McCormack, Cairney, O'Hara and Stearman would walk into any of those teams. Look at it from their perspective, if you look at our best 11, from an opposition fans point of view our first 11 looks incredibly strong (bar strike partner for Ross). We have like 6 player of the seasons from last year in the first 11

I think Curtis Davies is the best centre back in the division. Andy Robertson too the best left back. As much as I like Jamie O'Hara, I also like Tom Huddlestone, and Mo Diame would slot in that other central midfield position fairly nicely. Maybe I wouldn't take Michael Dawson for his age and wages, but I certainly think he's a better player than either Stearman or Ream. I think Ben Gibson is the best young centre back in the Championship, not better than Stearman but I think pushes Ream very close - Gibson will play in the Premier League successfully I'm sure. Michael Keane is another very good central defender like Ben Gibson.

Matej Vydra would walk into our team I think.

I don't think anybody doubts our players, but doubts the ability of the management to string it all together and be one of the top teams, where an Ipswich or a Reading have two good managers that can get more out of less. The theme since the window shut has been "Kit has the tools to do what needs to be done" and even Kit has spoken about that himself. Our squad is ready for a promotion push, but then the point of this post was to compare it to others up there. Hull for me are front runners, but we see them 1-0 down at Brighton who perhaps don't have the strongest squad on the list.
Spot on, too add...

Livermore>Mattila
Maloney>Parker