watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Poor tactics by us in the second half

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, September 13, 2015, 02:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

we played very defensively and sat on the lead.  we were comfortably beating them in the first half and should have continued playing our natural game. we were very luck to get 3 points in the end.

Arthur

Blackburn turned the game round by pressing us in numbers and forcing us into errors that conceded possession. We, on the other hand, didn't do the same when we needed to get a foothold back in the game.

As was so often the case last season, we fail to produce a consistently good performance over the entirety of the game. We won, but it's a somewhat underwhelming victory; we won't get as much luck in a game again this season.

Lighthouse

All of which is true. But I can't help thinking why some fans are miserable when we win but are lucky and miserable when we lose but are unlucky.

A new team that hasn't played together. The most experienced Fulham player we only bought at the beginning of last season.

Very fortunate but then we have been pretty unlucky for many games. While the concern is there for the consistency and lack of it there is much to look at and see we are building a squad with good things. We are improving from last season.

Plenty to moan about but also a lot in the first half to admire.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

kempkong

My only issue was the lack of subs. If the team is doing well then leave it but we struggled in the second half and kit should have changed something to give us a different option.
Still this is the best Fulham team I've seen in a few years. We will improve as the team get used to each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighthouse

Quote from: kempkong on September 13, 2015, 02:29:02 PM
My only issue was the lack of subs. If the team is doing well then leave it but we struggled in the second half and kit should have changed something to give us a different option.
Still this is the best Fulham team I've seen in a few years. We will improve as the team get used to each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used two. But I thought the Frederiks sub was a good one at the time. We could have done with another midfielder coming on in the centre maybe? Hard to say if we needrd to bolster our midfield or bring on Kaka as another outlet. Who would you have brought on? We do need another forward from somewhere.

Logicalman

Yep, nice to see the 'early' sub in the 62nd minute, still not certain the actual reason as Pringle didn't appear to have suffered a knock, perhaps wasn't fully fit following the clash with Jazz this week in training?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

res

Quote from: Logicalman on September 13, 2015, 02:45:06 PM
Yep, nice to see the 'early' sub in the 62nd minute, still not certain the actual reason as Pringle didn't appear to have suffered a knock, perhaps wasn't fully fit following the clash with Jazz this week in training?

Didn't think that Pringle was contributing much so substituting him was fine. I would have brought on Burn earlier simply to negate the high balls that Blackburn were throwing at us..and possibly LVC for Tunnicliffe to add a bit of midfield pace.

fulhamben

Quote from: res on September 13, 2015, 03:12:27 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on September 13, 2015, 02:45:06 PM

Didn't think that Pringle was contributing much so substituting him was fine. I would have brought on Burn earlier simply to negate the high balls that Blackburn were throwing at us..and possibly LVC for Tunnicliffe to add a bit of midfield pace.
I don't think Pringle was contributing anything let alone much.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

PokerMatt

The sub was possibly kit's best yet.

Conway was running things against jazz, who had faded after an excellent first half. And cairney wasn't covering enough. Fredericks came on and both he and jazz took it in turns to nullify Conway. He was eventually subbed off and there's no doubt that they were far less effective down our right after that.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Arthur

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 13, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
All of which is true. But I can't help thinking why some fans are miserable when we win but are lucky and miserable when we lose but are unlucky.

There is a vast difference - as you well know - between not being ecstatic at our victory and being miserable. I can't help wondering why you feel the need to deliberately misinterpret my mood.

There was indeed plenty to admire about our play in the first thirty minutes. You and I both know, however, that if we are out-performed by the opposition, we shall lose more than we win. Because we escaped that fate today, you seem to resent my pointing out a part of our game that I think needs to improve. Why? What's the point in waiting until we've put in several similar performances and not won any of them before attempting to work out how we can do better?

Lighthouse

Quote from: Arthur on September 13, 2015, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on September 13, 2015, 02:26:06 PM

There is a vast difference - as you well know - between not being ecstatic at our victory and being miserable. I can't help wondering why you feel the need to deliberately misinterpret my mood.

There was indeed plenty to admire about our play in the first thirty minutes. You and I both know, however, that we shall lose more than we win if we are out-performed by the opposition. Because that didn't happen today, you seem to resent my pointing out a part of our game that I think needs to improve. Why? What's the point in waiting until we've put in several similar performances and not won any of them before attempting to work out why we're not doing better.

I didn't 'quote' you so was referring to both the previous posts that preceded mine. I didn't 'resent' your post nor was I 'deliberately misinterpreting' your mood. Our centre backs met up on Friday and the team is a new one. So I don't make many conclusions on one showing. We were very fortunate but my feeling is that we have far too many posters willing to ignore the luck when we lose but are happy to call us lucky and complain when we win.

Having been on the end of plenty of criticism in the past for being negative. I didn't take things as personally as you clearly do. It is just an opinion. I haven't read anybody say they were 'ecstatic' about the victory. Just relieved but I don't think we can make many conclusions from one game.

Rhys Lightning 63

There just seemed to be a breakdown in communication.

The amount of time Ross/Moussa were shouting at eachother for misplacing/not playing a pass, plus I saw Stearman + Lonergan having a bit of a row in the second half
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

FPT

I'm not convinced it was tactical from our point. Certain players started to fail, Ryan Tunnicliffe continued to put us back under pressure with poor balls to his team mates - and he frequently was trying to do more than he needed to in a detrimental way. It looked as though we forgot to do the basics, we were 2-0 up, we just needed to move the ball around and keep them chasing. That's not me saying Ryan Tunnicliffe had a bad game, he was good, but I think he needs to focus less on trying to be box-to-box and be more Etuhu in his passing, in his pressing - he's 'stupid' (lack of better word) as a footballer.

Again, I don't want to single out Tunnicliffe, I thought McCormack and Dembele could have done better at times when possession was more important. It's easy to point fingers at the defence, but the attacking players had to make it easier and take the pressure away. For the second half, Blackburn had 60% of the ball and they pressed more - but at home and two goals up, we should have starved them of the ball because better teams will punish us for allowing so much.

So yeah, I think they forced us to be defensive which in turn came from our own poor play.

But, we got three points which is happy days - things to learn from.

Arthur

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 13, 2015, 03:54:38 PM
I didn't 'quote' you so was referring to both the previous posts that preceded mine. I didn't 'resent' your post nor was I 'deliberately misinterpreting' your mood. Our centre backs met up on Friday and the team is a new one. So I don't make many conclusions on one showing. We were very fortunate but my feeling is that we have far too many posters willing to ignore the luck when we lose but are happy to call us lucky and complain when we win.

Having been on the end of plenty of criticism in the past for being negative. I didn't take things as personally as you clearly do. It is just an opinion. I haven't read anybody say they were 'ecstatic' about the victory. Just relieved but I don't think we can make many conclusions from one game.

I quite understand that your dig was aimed at a wider audience than just the O.P. and me. That said, you evidently saw me as an example of someone who was miserable in both victory and defeat. But I'm not that person.

Looking at my reply again, the tone was more terse than it needed to be and, for this, I apologise. But I do not think that my saying that you have picked the wrong post to help to illustrate your point is taking it too personally.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Arthur on September 13, 2015, 04:33:44 PM

I quite understand that your dig was aimed at a wider audience than just the O.P. and me. That said, you evidently saw me as an example of someone who was miserable in both victory and defeat. But I'm not that person.

Looking at my reply again, the tone was more terse than it needed to be and, for this, I apologise. But I do not think that my saying that you have picked the wrong post to help to illustrate your point is taking it too personally.

for the record i was not miserable about today either. actually quite pleased with 2 league wins in a row.

i am just looking longer term, and based on our performances this season so far i am not confident we can be promoted this time.

HatterDon

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 13, 2015, 04:36:30 PM
Quote from: Arthur on September 13, 2015, 04:33:44 PM

for the record i was not miserable about today either. actually quite pleased with 2 league wins in a row.

i am just looking longer term, and based on our performances this season so far i am not confident we can be promoted this time.

I'm confident that we won't be promoted this season, but -- like you -- I'm pleased with two wins and a significantly improved squad.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel