watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham are not boring!

Started by Kent Cassandra, September 21, 2015, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

The last time Fulham sent out sides at home and away playing attractive attacking football was when Mark Hughes got us our second best finish ever. Our football got more and more depressingly horrible under Martin Jol.

This season we have played some adventurous, attacking football as well. We're not as comfortable with each other as we might be, and a lot of what we're trying to do isn't working, but it beats the holy crap out of what Jol had us doing his last season and a half -- not to mention the confused rubbish the German idiot provided.

It is ridiculous to think that we're not significantly improved over last season, not to mention saying it with a straight face.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Kent Cassandra

Great HD, depressingly horrible I can live with but boring is completely the wrong word.
I can't argue with anything in your post. In the Blackburn match I couldn't fault any player individually but as you say they need at least a few more weeks to get comfortable with each other. They really bullied us in the second half and were lucky to finish with eleven players on the field. But we held out and even had a couple of good chances near the end. The first half was very encouraging and we could easily on another day have been three or four goals up. For the first time for quite a while I saw a spark which hopefully will soon turn into a flame.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Peabody

The only time that I came close to being bored watching Fulham was under Paul Bracewell and to an extent some of Ray Wilkins sideways football but then things quickly changed when Kevin Keegan took charge. In both cases, we were in no danger of either relegation nor promotion

cmg

If you can't be challenging for a title or promotion, there's nothing like a good old relegation battle to keep things interesting.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on September 21, 2015, 11:35:06 PM
Roger I can honestly say that I have not been bored, very few people that I see at the match look bored.  I see enthusiasm, support, humour, frustration and very occasionally at Fulham anger. Watching on TV then you might have a point but no one, not even you Roger have a clue what Fulham are going to do next.
If repetition is boring then all human beings, animals, fish, plants, planets, galaxies and who knows even the universe may repeat itself infinitely.
I count Dan as a friend even if I am old enough to be his granddad. No we may not agree on everything that would be repetitious. But the one thing that we do agree on fundamentally is respect.  A lot of posters on his thread have got the wrong end of the stick (Do you see what I'm doing there, just like drilling for oil is boring). Danny has explained several times but people don't seem to want to listen and just want to air their pet hates.
Your creed "You've always got to have something to look forward to" does sound as if you are a little bored. At my age my creed has to be "I hope I can get all my projects finished before I fall off my perch". I was going to say 'die' which would have rhymed nicely with Shepherds pie which I also like but wouldn't like to consume it repetitively.
So Roger, if like Arsenal we went the rest of the season winning every game 1-0 the vast majority of our fans would be ecstatic, including you I suspect. Now I am wondering how you could be ecstatic and bored at the same time.
If you think I am boring give me some notice and I will stop taking the pills.
Terry Time for the Ovaltine and digestive....night night.............

Just want to echo some of the points made here. I too think of you Terry as a friend. Apart from the obvious ones who seem to have a dig out of the enjoyment of it I try very hard to be open minded and respect opinions and I respect Terry very much.

Also thank you Roger for backing me up. Some of the responses were unfair imo. Like I've said with hindsight I think boring is the wrong word as fulham are never boring no matter how awful. But it certainly isn't as bubbly and Fulhamish as I have known it in the past.

My views were never to cause arguments, in fact I genuinely can't see how anyone would think my views show anything but a very deep love for Fulham. The fact I care more about legends of the club, Tradition and it's character than I do about the premier league or how bad kit Symons may be is admirable.

I would also like to echo the fact that I haven't responded or encouraged any post that thought they were agreeing with me but just used it as an opportunity to slag off the manager or the players. That wasn't what I meant by boring and I was certainly not trying to be negative. A third totally got it, a third thought they did but just slated everything and everyone and a third assumed by the word boring without hearing my reasons.

But Terry Is a good man and a friend. I do those meet ups to meet guys like Terry and I will continue to do them and in an ideal world would love to meet every single member.  Well maybe not everyone lol......
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

RaySmith

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on September 21, 2015, 09:28:04 PM
Can anyone honestly admit that at some point they have not been a teeny weeny bit bored watching Fulham or the club/fan connection.

Certainly in the last 3/4 years there have been several games when however a game was going at any point, and how well (or not) we were doing, we just knew what the outcome would be.
It happened a lot last season.
Repetition is boring unless you're a sloth, a slender loris,  a lemur or a koi carp  "Heron, oops there goes another one, that's getting boring, but at least it gives us a bit more room in the pond"

It's not his fault but hearing GJ constantly saying "You can hear what's happened" or "Oh Noo"
but worst of all knowing he's going to say it.
Now that's boring.

Human beings by our very nature are strivers (except the ones that aren't) I cannot think of anything worse then being  "Mr Normal" or "Mr Boring"

I tend to live by the creed "You've always got to have something to look forward to"
For instance I've got shepherds pie for dinner tonight and I like shepherds pie.

Most of us on here do have black and white blood and it's a shame that one of our own who wears his heart on his sleeve and spilled his thoughts on OUR FORUM has had so much stick.  No words of encouragement like "Don't worry Danny etc"  "I'll buy you a pint before the next home game, mate"

In this instance "stick" and somewhat ridicule is boring

BTW: I think the Arsenal thing was in reference to George Graham's stream of 1-0's which was boring.

Some of my posts are boring.
Searching for oil can be boring.
Having sex with your cousin can be relatively boring (unless you live in West Virginia then it's expected)

I'm getting boring now.

Yes, Roger, I take your point, but, for me, what is objectively boring to others about watching Fulham, or listening to GJ, isn't boring at all.

Jim isn't boring for me because I, and he, have such emotional investment in the result. I identify with the anxiety in his voice, and then the  elation when, or if, we score, and especially of we actually manage to win.

Thus, The fact that he repeats himself isn't boring -well, all commentators do, and  football, like most sports, is repetitive, and , like most sports, boring if you aren't interested in it -or at least not interested in the result. I have little interest in watching football if it's not Fulham, finding it boring, or of watching sports such as rugby or cricket, in which I have no interest - they will always be boring to me, though not to many others obviously.

And presumably there are many other  fans who don't find Jim boring, considering his popularity.

But GJ is obviously only a poor substitute for actually going to the game - and the excitement I feel at that - especially when  I can't go to many now, and that also makes me far less likely to be bored I suppose. Though, I'm not saying that I've never, ever had a moment's boredom watching Fulham!- especially on a freezing  winter day up north, and we are losing -again. That's one good thing about the Championship - now I actually often  get to see Fulham winning , and I'll never, ever get bored with that....well, maybe if we won most games I might!

I'm a massive Bob Dylan fan and have paid a lot and taken a lot of trouble, similar to my following of Fulham, even from Glasgow  where I lived for a period, but I  couldn't honestly say that I've never had a moment of boredom watching a concert which I've looked forward to and travelled miles to see.

But overall , I'm never bored by Fulham or Bob Dylan - Fulham and football/sport generally, like Bob Dylan, being very unpredictable. Though, there are many who  find the thought of watching either very boring, and  would think you were crazy to spend time and money going to see them. (Bob Dylan fans  remind me of Fulham fans by the way - always moaning -'he's not as good as he used to be':) )

But, I have only been writing of my own feelings on these threads -and have said that others feel differently - and that's up to them, of course. I haven't been having a dig at Danny.

I also said, on another thread, that what Danny was writing about wasn't really boredom - more  disillusion, or perhaps 'ennui', or maybe frustration, which we've all probably experienced at some time, but I'm sure he remains fully committed to following Fulham.

I'm bored with this now!

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: RaySmith on September 22, 2015, 07:05:31 AM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on September 21, 2015, 09:28:04 PM
Can anyone honestly admit that at some point they have not been a teeny weeny bit bored watching Fulham or the club/fan connection.

Certainly in the last 3/4 years there have been several games when however a game was going at any point, and how well (or not) we were doing, we just knew what the outcome would be.
It happened a lot last season.
Repetition is boring unless you're a sloth, a slender loris,  a lemur or a koi carp  "Heron, oops there goes another one, that's getting boring, but at least it gives us a bit more room in the pond"

It's not his fault but hearing GJ constantly saying "You can hear what's happened" or "Oh Noo"
but worst of all knowing he's going to say it.
Now that's boring.

Human beings by our very nature are strivers (except the ones that aren't) I cannot think of anything worse then being  "Mr Normal" or "Mr Boring"

I tend to live by the creed "You've always got to have something to look forward to"
For instance I've got shepherds pie for dinner tonight and I like shepherds pie.

Most of us on here do have black and white blood and it's a shame that one of our own who wears his heart on his sleeve and spilled his thoughts on OUR FORUM has had so much stick.  No words of encouragement like "Don't worry Danny etc"  "I'll buy you a pint before the next home game, mate"

In this instance "stick" and somewhat ridicule is boring

BTW: I think the Arsenal thing was in reference to George Graham's stream of 1-0's which was boring.

Some of my posts are boring.
Searching for oil can be boring.
Having sex with your cousin can be relatively boring (unless you live in West Virginia then it's expected)

I'm getting boring now.

Yes, Roger, I take your point, but, for me, what is objectively boring to others about watching Fulham, or listening to GJ, isn't boring at all.

Jim isn't boring for me because I, and he, have such emotional investment in the result. I identify with the anxiety in his voice, and then the  elation when, or if, we score, and especially of we actually manage to win.

Thus, The fact that he repeats himself isn't boring -well, all commentators do, and  football, like most sports, is repetitive, and , like most sports, boring if you aren't interested in it -or at least not interested in the result. I have little interest in watching football if it's not Fulham, finding it boring, or of watching sports such as rugby or cricket, in which I have no interest - they will always be boring to me, though not to many others obviously.

And presumably there are many other  fans who don't find Jim boring, considering his popularity.

But GJ is obviously only a poor substitute for actually going to the game - and the excitement I feel at that - especially when  I can't go to many now, and that also makes me far less likely to be bored I suppose. Though, I'm not saying that I've never, ever had a moment's boredom watching Fulham!- especially on a freezing  winter day up north, and we are losing -again. That's one good thing about the Championship - now I actually often  get to see Fulham winning , and I'll never, ever get bored with that....well, maybe if we won most games I might!

I'm a massive Bob Dylan fan and have paid a lot and taken a lot of trouble, similar to my following of Fulham, even from Glasgow  where I lived for a period, but I  couldn't honestly say that I've never had a moment of boredom watching a concert which I've looked forward to and travelled miles to see.

But overall , I'm never bored by Fulham or Bob Dylan - Fulham and football/sport generally, like Bob Dylan, being very unpredictable. Though, there are many who  find the thought of watching either very boring, and  would think you were crazy to spend time and money going to see them. (Bob Dylan fans  remind me of Fulham fans by the way - always moaning -'he's not as good as he used to be':) )

But, I have only been writing of my own feelings on these threads -and have said that others feel differently - and that's up to them, of course. I haven't been having a dig at Danny.

I also said, on another thread, that what Danny was writing about wasn't really boredom - more  disillusion, or perhaps 'ennui', or maybe frustration, which we've all probably experienced at some time, but I'm sure he remains fully committed to following Fulham.

I'm bored with this now!

Haha I'm bored of it too! But yes Dannyboi is and always will be committed to Fulham no matter how disconnected I feel. In fact I'm looking forward to going to the game tonight........how Fulhamish is that!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

cmg

Quote from: RaySmith on September 22, 2015, 07:05:31 AM

But overall , I'm never bored by Fulham or Bob Dylan - Fulham and football/sport generally, like Bob Dylan, being very unpredictable.

Don't think twice...It's all right.

grandad

I think I must be bored. I have tried to read all the replies to this topic but keep falling asleep.
Where there's a will there's a wife

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on September 21, 2015, 11:35:06 PM
Roger I can honestly say that I have not been bored, very few people that I see at the match look bored.  I see enthusiasm, support, humour, frustration and very occasionally at Fulham anger. Watching on TV then you might have a point but no one, not even you Roger have a clue what Fulham are going to do next.
If repetition is boring then all human beings, animals, fish, plants, planets, galaxies and who knows even the universe may repeat itself infinitely.
I count Dan as a friend even if I am old enough to be his granddad. No we may not agree on everything that would be repetitious. But the one thing that we do agree on fundamentally is respect.  A lot of posters on his thread have got the wrong end of the stick (Do you see what I'm doing there, just like drilling for oil is boring). Danny has explained several times but people don't seem to want to listen and just want to air their pet hates.
Your creed "You've always got to have something to look forward to" does sound as if you are a little bored. At my age my creed has to be "I hope I can get all my projects finished before I fall off my perch". I was going to say 'die' which would have rhymed nicely with Shepherds pie which I also like but wouldn't like to consume it repetitively.
So Roger, if like Arsenal we went the rest of the season winning every game 1-0 the vast majority of our fans would be ecstatic, including you I suspect. Now I am wondering how you could be ecstatic and bored at the same time.
If you think I am boring give me some notice and I will stop taking the pills.
Terry Time for the Ovaltine and digestive....night night.............

OK, to respond.
If you read my words
It's not his fault but hearing GJ frequently saying "You can hear what's happened" or "Oh Noo"
but worst of all knowing he's going to say it and we know it's coming is what I was getting at.

I'm not inferring that GJ is any way boring, what I'm saying is it's boring knowing he's going to say those words  ie: We''ve let in another goal.

A few years ago my daughter and I drove up to Burnley (one of 300 (ish) games we saw in 7 years)  and got stuck on the motorway for about 3 hours, that was boring and frustrating, especially when we got there at half time and they weren't going to let us in. Plus we lost (2-0 I think)
The boring for oil remark was a 'joke' ie: to find oil they bore down.

When I said "I always need to have something to look forward to" I make a point of ensuring I have something to look forward to and stimulating and not just the telly and remote control (not of course suggesting in any way that you do that)
I'm looking forward to coming back to the UK next year, the first time for 14 years) for my daughters wedding and seeing
a few old buddies and lots of other things.
My wife is away for 4 days from tomorrow, I won't be bored.

I agree to an extent but so many 1-0 wins would be boring, purely to achieve the ultimate goal of "The gold mine in the sky"
It's not Fulhamish (whatever that means) and I do believe at some point someone would say "Oh well, we won again, but boy was that boring"

Do other supporters say "It's not Hamilton Academicalish" or "It's not Borussia Monchengladbachish"

So, you can see this post and most of my posts are a bit tongue-in-cheek and not a snipe at anyone except those that  put Danny down for displaying his emotion on a public forum among "mates"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

HatterDon

as I've said on here many many times before, when you are at the point that you think more about salaries, the board, transfers, "player loyalty." and the like than you do about the football on the pitch, it's a sign that your youthful addiction has been broken.

The game HAS changed -- it's more skillful, faster, and enjoyable to watch than ever before. What has also changed, if you find football boring, is you. You have a bad case of, "Back in my day."

Football is still the beautiful game if you still look at it with the same awe and wonder you did when you first caught the bug.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Slaphead in Qatar

a team that is losing matches or just not doing as well as hoped is not necessarily boring. matches can still be edge of the seat stuff even if it ends in disappointment.

but for a while now fulham have been playing boring football. we lack pace in our build up and adopt a safety first mentality. we need to take more risks.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: HatterDon on September 22, 2015, 03:36:27 PM
as I've said on here many many times before, when you are at the point that you think more about salaries, the board, transfers, "player loyalty." and the like than you do about the football on the pitch, it's a sign that your youthful addiction has been broken.

The game HAS changed -- it's more skillful, faster, and enjoyable to watch than ever before. What has also changed, if you find football boring, is you. You have a bad case of, "Back in my day."

Football is still the beautiful game if you still look at it with the same awe and wonder you did when you first caught the bug.

Football is very entertaining but that's not what I find dull about fulham at the moment. It's no dig at you or any other fan who doesn't go but you really can't understand what I mean about the atmosphere around the Cottage lately unless you are there to witness it.

The loss of Diddy Hamilton is a big one but we will get our mojo back sooner rather than later. I have no doubt about that. And I know sweet FA about salaries and FFP etc. I don't want to know because all I care about is the football. Sadly Fulhamish is a part of Fulham that is more important than the football and that's got to be brought back somehow.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

gezkc

Quote from: Blanco on September 21, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
So consistently losing isn't boring but consistently winning is? Please.

We're not consistently losing. We win some, we lose some. That's kind of how the game works...

gezkc

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 22, 2015, 04:08:35 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on September 22, 2015, 03:36:27 PM

Football is very entertaining but that's not what I find dull about fulham at the moment. It's no dig at you or any other fan who doesn't go but you really can't understand what I mean about the atmosphere around the Cottage lately unless you are there to witness it.

The loss of Diddy Hamilton is a big one but we will get our mojo back sooner rather than later. I have no doubt about that. And I know sweet FA about salaries and FFP etc. I don't want to know because all I care about is the football. Sadly Fulhamish is a part of Fulham that is more important than the football and that's got to be brought back somehow.

Danny, do you think the change in atmosphere could be down to the fans at all - genuine question. I know from the matches I've been to, and comparing them to the pre-Premier League days, there is so much anger in the stands these days - players being verbally abused, Kit getting abuse, you name it. Admittedly, it's a minority, but a very vociferous minority and over time it has a wearing down effect. This forum has become exactly the same over the past couple of seasons.

In many ways, it could be argued that those 13 years in the Premier League have ruined the club, or if not the club, at the very least tainted its support base. We picked up a lot of fans during those years, many of whom have probably now left us again, but for those that have stayed (and even for many of us who've supported them for much longer), I think it's completely changed the way we view the club and our expectations of it.

Fulham is a great club. It's never been a massively successful one, but it's our club and always will be. What it needs most of all is for us, the fans, to get behind it and stop constantly moaning about the manager, the coaches, the players, the owner. We've been through a depressing couple of years, but the club is clearly moving in the right direction again. It's now our turn to do the same and get behind the team and start supporting it again.

love4ffc

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 22, 2015, 04:00:34 PM
a team that is losing matches or just not doing as well as hoped is not necessarily boring. matches can still be edge of the seat stuff even if it ends in disappointment.

but for a while now fulham have been playing boring football. we lack pace in our build up and adopt a safety first mentality. we need to take more risks.

0001.jpeg
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Woolly Mammoth

Fulham are not boring tonight that's for sure, we are the better side.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Blanco

Quote from: gezkc on September 22, 2015, 05:10:55 PM
Quote from: Blanco on September 21, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
So consistently losing isn't boring but consistently winning is? Please.

We're not consistently losing. We win some, we lose some. That's kind of how the game works...

We have been through periods were all we did was lose. My point was that the "winning gets boring" line is said by many fans from losing clubs and its silly. Winning is never boring.