more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (22/09/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 22, 2015, 07:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Craven Corner: Fulham's set-piece woes a worry ahead of Stoke clash

Andy Lonergan of Fulham. (Photo by Justin Setterfield/Getty Images)

After Fulham's defeat to Sheffield Wednesday our fan blogger Adam Brons-Smith explains what tweaks he believes will help put things right as they prepare for a Capital One clash with Stoke.

It's been an interesting start to the season, but after three consecutive victories, Fulham's run came to an end against Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend.

All three goals came from set-pieces and the manner of the goals should ring alarm bells for many fans. Considering Fulham have recruited star defenders in Tim Ream and Richard Stearman, the defensive fragilities from set-pieces remain a persistent problem.

Both players are player of the season award winners so you would expect that the defensive duties during set pieces would be routine by now. Sadly, this is something that clearly isn't being focused upon during Kit Symons' training sessions.

There was some improvement in the aerial duels when 6'7 Dan Burn was introduced and Tim Ream moved to the left-side of defence. While the gigantic Burn seems to be out of favour with the manager, he should be included in the starting 11 despite the new recruits' experience.

The reason being is that Burn is a very old-fashioned defender and does all the 'dirty work' correctly, which is vitally important in this league.

In the Championship, you don't need two ball-playing centre backs who will start attacks, there's far too little time on the ball and many sides whip crosses in the box, something that Burn can easily deal with. Just cast your mind back to our most successful partnership at the back, Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes.

Hangelands' ball-playing abilities and speed were always questioned, but his frame, power and defensive duties were rarely questioned – similar traits to Mr Dan Burn.

With the right partner, I see no reason why Burn can't form a formidable partnership reminiscent of the Hangeland and Hughes combo. After the game, I was thinking about the system that Symons is trying to implement with attacking full-backs.

Obviously it has its benefits by adding more numbers in attack, but if we focused more on keeping clean sheets we wouldn't lose a game after scoring two goals away from home.

If that meant that more defensive options were utilised in full-back positions, then this should be explored. For example, if Tim Ream was moved to left-back and James Husband was pushed slightly forward, there would be more cover when the side is on the back foot.

This would provide more cover for our uncomfortable back four, and leaving the creative influences to the impressive midfielders the club possesses such as Tom Cairney, Jamie O'Hara, Lasse Vigen Christensen or even the new and improved Ryan Tunnicliffe.

While the football on display wouldn't be as attractive, I for one would rather see the side defend as a unit and hold out for points rather than constantly trying to score three or more goals to win a game.

To some extent you only have to look at the project at Stoke. They were promoted with an unattractive style of football, but it was that style that secured them Premier League football and made them a mid-table outfit in the best division in the world.

Those years of focusing on stability rather than style has provided them with the financial income to change their style and attract a new style of player, hence the Barcelona influx.

If it meant that Fulham would return to the Premier League playing a more direct style of play, then it should be explored – at the end of the day; you get promoted on the points you earn rather than the style of play.

Although it hasn't been the greatest start to the season, there are some reasons to be optimistic for what the season beholds.

An incredibly impressive start to the season for man of the match award collector Jamie O'Hara and some world-class saves have been on display from Andy Lonergan.

I will happily take back any negative comments I had about Lonergan when he signed – he truly has proved to be an incredibly good acquisition.

Tom Cairney has also started to settle into his position on the right side of midfield and if Symons can address the defensive issues sooner rather than later then there is no reason why this squad can't mount a promotion campaign.

A tough game awaits against Stoke and there should be plenty of changes and chances for fringe players. While we are against a Premier League outfit, there's no reason why can't beat them with the strength in depth the club now has.

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/craven_corner_fulham_s_set_piece_woes_a_worry_ahead_of_stoke_clash_1_4242700
Copyright © LONDON24

WhiteJC

Ready, Willing & Able

Signed on a season-long loan from Cardiff City last month, goalkeeper Joe Lewis won't be content with a place on the bench with Fulham. The shot-stopper may get on well with Andrew Lonergan, but he's determined to oust him from his starting spot.

The towering Lewis has had to watch Lonergan in inspired form for the Whites. While he's pleased to see his teammate doing well, after a frustrating time at Cardiff where he couldn't get past David Marshall, Lewis is keen to make his mark in SW6.

"I definitely haven't come here to sit on the bench," the 6' 4" Lewis tells Tuesday's official matchday programme. "I want to try and push Lonners as hard as I can. It can work for both of us; hopefully I can spur him on to bring out his best form and he can drive me in the same way. That can only be good for the team when there's competition for places.

"Lonners has been brilliant, in the last couple of games especially, and he can only take confidence from that. If I do get my chance I'll have to try and emulate that."

Lewis arrived at Fulham on Monday 24th August, taking his place amongst the substitutes as the Whites progressed past Sheffield United in the Second Round of the Capital One Cup to set up Tuesday's tie with Stoke City.

"As soon as Betts got injured up at Hull, it looked like a nasty one," said Lewis. "There was contact with my agent then and the following day when it was pretty much confirmed it was going to be a bad one for Betts, things got moving. It was all quite quick.

"I was looking for a move from Cardiff at the time anyway, I just wanted to start afresh. This is my fourth year there now and I haven't got past David Marshall who's been outstanding. He's staying there for the foreseeable future so I need to get out and this seemed like a good opportunity at what I think is a very big club and one that's going forward."

Lewis is hoping to benefit if Kit Symons rotates his squad for the game with the Premier League Potters, adding: "I'm ready if called upon.If you ask any of the players in the changing room, their aim is to get in and stay in the starting XI."

To read the full interview with Lewis, get your hands on a copy of the new-look matchday programme against Stoke on Tuesday.

Other highlights in the only matchday magazine that matters - which is also available to download digitally now - are:

Manager Kit Symons on the frustrating defeat at Sheffield Wednesday
Scott Parker welcomes a former Fulham midfield partner back to the Cottage
Sean Kavanagh answers some random questions in the Name Game
Former Stoke midfielder Mickey Thomas recalls his two stints with the Potters
We take a walk down memory lane to look back at a League Cup run in the 1967/68 season
Les Strong writes his regular page
And there's a host of new features including One Hit Wonders, First & Last, Back On This Day and Unseen FFC

Priced £3, the 68-page publication is available from various sellers on Stevenage Road from two hours before kick-off. Or order it online from ProgrammeMaster.

For just £1.99, the programme is also available as a digital download with added video content, so whether you're at home or away, you need never be without it on your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or Mac via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags.

Or to ensure you don't miss a single copy of the official matchday programme, purchase an annual subscription. Head here for full details.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/september/22/ready-willing-and-able?

WhiteJC

Fulham v QPR: Rs midfielder hopes it's third time lucky

Rangers looking for first win in three at Craven Cottage

Jamie Mackie hopes it's third time lucky at Fulham on Friday.

The QPR midfielder is a two-time loser at Craven Cottage, although there was the sliver of a silver lining first time he appeared there.

That was when the fans' favourite debuted in the Premier League. But all else on that October 2011 Sunday was a disaster.

Rangers were 5-0 down by the time Mackie came on as a 73rd minute sub, and then Fulham hammered a final coffin nail a minute later through of all people, Bobby Zamora, later to swap white for hoops.

Mackie was the only person available to speak to after the hammering as Rs licked their wounds, but for him it was a big comeback having broken his leg the season before.

He was also on the QPR losing side April 1, 2013 in a closer 3-2 defeat that spelled the end for Hoops in the top flight that season.

Now, Mackie reckons a win in front of TV cameras and 6,000 travellers would go a long way in erasing bad memories.

He said: "You only get three points for it, but it means a lot to fans.

"Fulham have got good players, and spent a hell a lot of money on a top player (Ross McCormack). Anyone spending that amount of money at this level has massive intent.

"They're having a go. I played them last season (at Reading) and they had a really young team, but they've also had a bit of a re-build as well.

"The first game I played there was my Premier League debut after breaking my leg, albeit the score was 6-0 to them. I remember it if only for the debut, and the thought I was finally playing at the top."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-v-qpr-rs-midfielder-10105812?

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney's goals and energy a breath of fresh air for Fulham

Tom Cairney (Fulham)

Fulham's acquisition of Cairney from Blackburn Rovers over the summer always seemed a good piece of business.

After paying a fee of around £3.5 million for the 24-year-old, the Cottagers seemed to get the attacking midfielder for a reasonable price.

And he seems to have set the tempo at Fulham, with three league goals to his name, including thunderbolts against Brighton & Hove Albion and Hull City.

His energy has provided a breath of fresh air at the club and he will have a pivotal role to play at Craven Cottage this season.

If Fulham can stop conceding goals – they've already let in 11 – Cairney can be the driving force to help them push up the league table.

Read more at http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-fan/28374/tom-cairneys-goals-and-energy-a-breath-of-fresh-air-for-fulham/#EOztmQ6MGbjiJLJG.99

fulhamben

Quote from: WhiteJC on September 22, 2015, 02:43:18 PM

Lonergan on the Good and Bad Days!

As Fulham prepares to welcome Stoke City tonight, for a Capital One Cup 3rd round tie, those who frequent Craven Cottage will be hoping that the Cottagers can ease into the 4th round.

But, in recent weeks, it has become apparent that this newly assembled Fulham side, with all the summer transfer window signings integrated, blows hot and cold.

Kit Symons must be hugely frustrated sat on the touchline trying to work out why a side that can look so good one day can look awful the following day.

It is something that Andy Lonergan, one of our summer recruits, has touched upon ahead of the visit from Stoke, with the keeper remarking,

"We knew with the big turnaround of players that there`ll be some good days and bad days. That`s the nature of trying to get a side that gels.

"When we have been really good we have been really good, but we haven`t hit our straps in other games. We need to find that consistency. It probably makes it tough for other sides to do their homework on us as well."

Hopefully, Stoke will catch Fulham on a good day and we can edge into round four!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=414365#ixzz3mTV0c7ED
When they talk about good days. They are referring to training days aren't they? Or is scrapping wins against the odd crap team deemed good now?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

WhiteJC

Fulham U18s 2 - 1 Arsenal U18s

Arsenal Under-18s were beaten 2-1 at Fulham in the Under-18 Premier League.

The Cottagers missed a first half penalty but Dennis Adeniran gave them the lead just before half-time.
Stephen Humphreys - who had missed the earlier penalty - made amends by scoring the hosts' second. Marcus Agyei-Tabi scored a late penalty to set up a tense finish but the Gunners couldn't find an equaliser.

Kostas Pileas made his first start of the season in defence as Eddie Nketiah lead the forward line.

Nketiah had the game's first chance when he whipped a shot that brushed the side of the post from outside of the box.

Tolaji Bola brought down Jon Dagur Thorstensson as he raced towards goal . Humphreys stepped up for the penalty but Ryan Huddart was on hand to make a fantastic save.
Charlie Gilmour later crashed the ball against the bar from 20 yards out, leaving Taye Ashby-Hammond rooted to the spot.
Adeniran put Fulham ahead in the 38th minute with a powerful header crafted from a long-range free-kick.
Humphreys doubled the Cottagers' lead early in the second half when he found the bottom corner following Marlon Fossey's cut back and some good build-up play.

Nathan Tella won his side a penalty despite protests the foul occurred outside of the box. Marcus Agyei-Tabi made no mistake from the spot but Arsenal were unable to find a equaliser.

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/match/report/1516/post/under-18/fulham-u18-v-arsenal-u18?#HCZvDMrM0L5ZiXdv.99