watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy, the boy, has no joy with his new toy

Started by Nick Bateman, October 12, 2015, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

England and former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is receiving some unfair criticism in my opinion.

He gave a few players an England cap after only a matches for their clubs, but surely these games against the likes of Estonia and Lithuiania, with the group already won, are ideal for 'blooding' new talent.

Noticeably, the gutter press did not approve of Tottenham's Deli Alli get a call up, as the media are dominated by their London rivals Chelsea and Arsenal, the two teams who coincidently receive the most refereeing decisions in the entire league.

Yet Alli has been touted as a great prospect and Roy is lacking creative midfielders since Steven Gerrard retired.

One also welcomes Jamie Vardy who has impressed in recent games, so rather than complain about what Roy is doing right, perhaps they should more examine the style of Hodgson's football which most would say is slightly methodical.

But after a dubious start, I am starting to warm to Roy (first name as in media darling "Jose") and one hopes England look good tonight.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Blanco

I don't have a problem with tonights team. It's actually made me more interested to watch.

HatterDon

Three points from every match in the tournament so far? What's not to constantly criticize?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

cmg

What an impressive bloke Hodgson is.
Calm, intelligent always treats the media with politeness and respect even when they don't deserve it. Amuses me to see him conversing with opposing managers in their own language and then recalling our past national managers who couldn't even manage English (and I'm referring to the English ones).

The press never liked him because he isn't 'interesting', or a nutter or a crook Harry Redknapp.

I expect we'll get turned over in the finals because we're not good enough and he'll get the sack (which he will accept with dignity) but I'll always remember him as the manager to make the best of whatever hand he is dealt, whether Fulham or England.

Blanco

Quote from: cmg on October 12, 2015, 08:48:09 PM
Calm, intelligent always treats the media with politeness and respect even when they don't deserve it. Amuses me to see him conversing with opposing managers in their own language and then recalling our past national managers who couldn't even manage English (and I'm referring to the English ones).

The press never liked him because he isn't 'interesting', or a nutter or a crook Harry Redknapp.

I expect we'll get turned over in the finals because we're not good enough and he'll get the sack (which he will accept with dignity) but I'll always remember him as the manager to make the best of whatever hand he is dealt, whether Fulham or England.

:plus one:

One James stannard

:54:
Quote from: Blanco on October 12, 2015, 09:08:01 PM

Great post :54:

HatterDon

It could not be said better than this
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Blanco

I think its great what England have achieved. Going the whole stage without losing. The fans won't give enough credit though. Only the 6th team to ever do it. I don't care how easy our opposition was it is still a big accomplishment.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: One James stannard on October 12, 2015, 09:52:50 PM

Marvellous.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

I totally agree with the Roy post above, couldn't have been better put.

If we'd not won then Roy could have been criticised for changing the team - but we did win and so achieved a remarkable record. Roy got it right as usual.

Roy vs. Redknapp = no-brainer.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

alfie

Quote from: Blanco on October 12, 2015, 10:36:18 PM
I think its great what England have achieved. Going the whole stage without losing. The fans won't give enough credit though. Only the 6th team to ever do it. I don't care how easy our opposition was it is still a big accomplishment.

and of course the old saying "they can only play the team in front of them", it's not Englands fault the opposition are poor.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

Ten wins from ten qualifying games is beyond criticism and Roy's overall England stats. must be looking pretty good.

Roy will of course ultimately be judged by our performance over the summer but at this moment  he along with Bobby Robson are looking like the best England managers since 1966.

FFCAli

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 13, 2015, 12:21:11 AM
Quote from: One James stannard on October 12, 2015, 09:52:50 PM

Marvellous.
Beautifully put.

res

Quote from: Nick Bateman on October 12, 2015, 07:33:25 PM
England and former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is receiving some unfair criticism in my opinion.

He gave a few players an England cap after only a matches for their clubs, but surely these games against the likes of Estonia and Lithuiania, with the group already won, are ideal for 'blooding' new talent.

Noticeably, the gutter press did not approve of Tottenham's Deli Alli get a call up, as the media are dominated by their London rivals Chelsea and Arsenal, the two teams who coincidently receive the most refereeing decisions in the entire league.

Yet Alli has been touted as a great prospect and Roy is lacking creative midfielders since Steven Gerrard retired.

One also welcomes Jamie Vardy who has impressed in recent games, so rather than complain about what Roy is doing right, perhaps they should more examine the style of Hodgson's football which most would say is slightly methodical.

But after a dubious start, I am starting to warm to Roy (first name as in media darling "Jose") and one hopes England look good tonight.

As ever, Roy has shown a master class in organisation. In those 10 games, the opposition has only had 12 shots on target, and only Slovenia has scored against us. No reason why we can't do OK in the knock out stages...organisation, and team spirit and togetherness, can overcome technically more gifted teams. That's what the Europa league run was about.

Slaphead in Qatar

10 wins out of 10 in a group which cannot be described as easy. i don't think any other nation has a100% record in qualifying. 

you never know, england may surprise a few people in the finals - no other dominant team in europe at the moment - spain are not what they were, germany have had a few slip ups recently, holland not qualified, italy/france not world beaters.

Nick Bateman

England were fortunate the "seed" was Switzerland who just lost the highly qualified Otto Hitzfeld.  With Sepp Blatter facing the end of his reign the Swiss will never get such a high rank ever again....
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

dannyboi-ffc

I don't agree with Deli Ali getting a call up. It's far too easy these days to get a cap for your country and I was surprised as Roy strikes me as old fashioned.

Having said that, it's not something Roy is alone in doing. It is just the way football is now. It's far easier to achieve what Deli Ali did nowadays.

But let's not take away from Roy's achievement. How anyone can take issue with it is beyond me. The football is sometimes dull but 100% record is something that doesn't happen often and it shows great professionalism from both management and players to not take their foot off the gas in such an easy group.

This is Roy's time to shine now. No excuses in France, he has a decent team and has had two tournaments to get it right. This has to be third time lucky and I have a sneaky feeling it will. The conditions will be comfortable and I can see us making the final.

Proud of ya Woy and let's not underestimate the role of Ray Lewington. What a double act!!!!
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging