watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (30/07/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 30, 2010, 07:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6285265,00.html?
Gera targets Hungary return
Fulham star meets with new manager

Hungarian midfielder Zoltan Gera wants a return to the international fold, according to international boss Sandor Egervari.

The 31-year-old Fulham player resigned from the national team last year following a fall-out with coach Erwin Koeman, but last week it was announced that Egervari would become the new manager.

Egervari has met with Gera in London and after posistive talks he is expected to return to the Hungary squad to face England in August.

"We were talking through the whole morning and I talked to him about the present situation and outlined him my plans with the team," Egervari told www.origo.hu.

"Zoli said that there were so many positive changes lately that he'd like to come back to the national team and I'm very happy about it.

"At that time he told the national coach that he doesn't want to play in the team for a while and now he told the national coach (to me) that he wants to play again because of the changed atmosphere."

Former West Brom midfielder Gera has made more than 60 appearances for Hungary and could be given the captain's armband if he returns.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/liverpool/6285535/Cottagers-move-to-front-of-Young-queue?
Cottagers move to front of Young queue

Fulham are believed to be leading the race to sign Aston Villa defender Luke Young following the collapse of a move to Liverpool.

Liverpool appeared to be favourites to land the versatile defender after agreeing a deal with Villa, but it is understood that move collapsed as the player does not want to move his family north.

The former Tottenham and Charlton man is believed to be holding out for a move back to the capital as he seeks a switch away from Villa.

Villa are ready to offload Young after he dropped well down the pecking order in Martin O'Neill's plans.

A number of clubs including Sunderland and Fulham are believed to have expressed an interest in the 31-year-old, but the Londoners are favourites for his signature.

Fulham have held a long-term interest in Young and incoming boss Mark Hughes is believed to be ready to push through a deal for the former England international as he looks to bolster the squad at Craven Cottage.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/NewManager.aspx?
Mark Hughes Appointed as Manager

Fulham Football Club has today confirmed the appointment of Mark Hughes as its new Manager on a two year contract. Hughes begins his work with the team immediately, following their return from pre-season tour, and will take charge in the dugout for the friendly fixture against Werder Bremen on August 7, and will be officially unveiled to the media at a press conference on Tuesday August 3.

Mark Hughes' managerial career began with his appointment as the Welsh national coach in 1999. He remained in charge for five years and came close to qualifying for Euro 2004. In their qualifying group Wales beat Italy, but were denied a place in the final tournament after losing to Russia in the playoffs.

Hughes resigned from the Welsh national side in September 2004 to take charge of Blackburn Rovers in the F.A Premier League, the club he finished his playing career with. His aim on appointment was to keep Blackburn clear of relegation which he succeeded in doing, whilst also taking the club to an F.A Cup semi-final for the first time in over 40 years.

In his second season, Blackburn finished in the top six of the Premier League and qualified for the UEFA Cup, beating teams such as Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal during the campaign. After just missing out on the League Cup final, his team sealed their spot in Europe by defeating champions Chelsea 1–0.
During the 2006–07 season Rovers finished 10th and reached the FA Cup semi-final for the second time under Hughes' tenure, but were defeated by Chelsea 2-1.

In June 2008, Hughes left Blackburn Rovers and was appointed as manager of Manchester City, and finished 10th in his first season with the club, as well as reaching the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup. During this period City's home form was among the best in the league. He remained with Manchester City until December 2009, losing only two league games that season, prior to his departure.

The Chairman, Mohamed Al Fayed, said:

'I would like to welcome Mark Hughes to Fulham. I know that he understands my vision for the Club, and believes in what we want achieve.

'We have enjoyed two incredibly successful years, and my hopes and dreams for this club are for that journey to continue. I am confident that with his Premier League and National Team successes, Mark will be a great guy for the job.'

Mark Hughes commented:

'I am happy to have joined Fulham following much speculation regarding the appointment of a new Manager. I have discussed my aspirations with both the Chairman and Alistair Mackintosh and believe that we are aligned in our aims for what can realistically be achieved here.

'I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the Club's history, and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition. I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this Club forward in the right direction.

'I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign and we will work hard to achieve that. I'm looking forward to working with the squad as soon as possible, and in making sure the on-pitch preparations are complete before the first competitive ball is kicked in August.'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/NewManager.aspx?#ixzz0v929vsaM

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6285622,00.html?
Fulham appoint Hughes
Welshman agrees two-year deal at Craven Cottage

Fulham have appointed former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes as their new manager at Craven Cottage.

Hughes has agreed a two-year deal to succeed Roy Hodgson at the West London club.

Hodgson left Fulham earlier this summer to take charge at Liverpool and Fulham have been linked with a number of names as they searched for a replacement.

Former Tottenham boss Martin Jol was the favourite for the role after Fulham made an approach to Ajax for his services, but the Dutch side rejected their overtures.

Sven-Goran Eriksson and Dave Jones were both mooted as contenders for the job, but Fulham have decided to go with Welshman Hughes.

Hughes has been out of work since being sacked as Manchester City boss in December 2009 and he is relishing the prospect of taking charge at Craven Cottage.

Aspirations

"I am happy to have joined Fulham following much speculation regarding the appointment of a new manager. I have discussed my aspirations with both the Chairman and Alistair Mackintosh and believe that we are aligned in our aims for what can realistically be achieved here," he told the club's official website.

"I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history, and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition.

"I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward in the right direction.

"I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign and we will work hard to achieve that. I'm looking forward to working with the squad as soon as possible, and in making sure the on-pitch preparations are complete before the first competitive ball is kicked in August."

Fulham chairman Mohamed Al Fayed welcomed the appointment of the former Blackburn boss and believes he is the right man to lead the club forward.

"I would like to welcome Mark Hughes to Fulham. I know that he understands my vision for the club, and believes in what we want achieve," he added.

"We have enjoyed two incredibly successful years, and my hopes and dreams for this club are for that journey to continue. I am confident that with his Premier League and National Team successes, Mark will be a great guy for the job."

The 46-year-old will take charge of Fulham for the first time in pre-season friendly with Werder Bremen on 7th August.

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1279369.html?cid=rssfeed&att=
Hughes reign begins at Fulham

Mark Hughes was tonight confirmed as Fulham's new manager after agreeing a two-year deal.

Fulham had been seeking a replacement for Roy Hodgson since he swapped Craven Cottage for Anfield earlier this summer, and failed in a bid to prise Martin Jol from Ajax.

Former Manchester City boss Hughes emerged as the frontrunner after talks with the Dutchman ran their course, and he will begin work at the club immediately, taking charge of his first match in the friendly meeting with Werder Bremen on 7 August.

Hughes acknowledged the success Hodgson enjoyed at the club - most notably taking them to the UEFA Europa League final last season - but has already set out his own blueprint for taking them forward.

I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign and we will work hard to achieve that.
New Fulham coach Mark Hughes

Hughes told the club's official website: "I have discussed my aspirations with both the chairman and (chief executive) Alistair Mackintosh and believe that we are aligned in our aims for what can realistically be achieved here.

"I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition," he went on. "I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward in the right direction.

"I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign and we will work hard to achieve that," Hughes added. "I'm looking forward to working with the squad as soon as possible, and in making sure the on-pitch preparations are complete before the first competitive ball is kicked in August."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298754/Fulham-target-Robert-Green-Mark-Schwarzer-wants-join-Arsenal.html?
Mark Schwarzer: I want to join Arsenal! New Fulham boss Mark Hughes is ready to swoop for West Ham keeper Robert Green

Mark Schwarzer remains determined to quit Fulham for Arsenal despite the appointment of Mark Hughes as manager at Craven Cottage.

Hughes' appointment on a two-year deal was confirmed by Fulham on Thursday and the former Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City manager will be in the stands to watch his new side take on Portsmouth on Saturday before being officially unveiled on Tuesday.

Hughes will earn £2million a year before performance - related bonuses and has been allowed to bring in his coaching team of Mark Bowen, Eddie Niedzwiecki and Kevin Hitchcock.

Fulham's caretaker manager, Ray Lewington, will stay at the club in a coaching capacity.

But despite the arrival of the new managerial team, Schwarzer, 37, has his heart set on bringing down the curtain down on his career at Arsenal meaning Hughes must decide whether to sanction a deal to sign West Ham keeper Robert Green.

Fulham have already rejected a £2million offer from Arsenal for Schwarzer who they value at double that amount.

A compromise deal is likely to be struck, however, and Hughes must decide whether to use that cash and a slice of his £20m transfer kitty to land Green who is valued in the £6m bracket by West Ham despite his howler for England in the World Cup.

Hughes must also decide whether to finalise a £2m deal for Aston Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell which has been on the back burner for several weeks as Fulham sought a replacement for Roy Hodgson.

The new Fulham manager has transfer targets of his own, of course, and unsurprisingly the names of Craig Bellamy, Stephen Ireland, and even Roque Santa Cruz feature on his shopping list given he brought the trio to Eastlands.

The trio are all available as City set about trimming their squad to the require figure of 25 for the coming Barclays Premier League campaign.

But Hughes will face competition from Spurs for Bellamy after Sportsmail revealed that Harry Redknapp had made a cheeky £4m bid while he would need to take a considerable in his £95,000-a-week wages to move to either side.

In addition, the Wales striker has told Roberto Mancini of his desire to stay at Eastlands despite clashing with the City manager last season, but it remains to be seen whether he will make the cut.

Ireland's relationship with Hughes certainly boosts Fulham's chances but a reported price tag of £10m and interest from bigger clubs are significant stumbling blocks.

And Santa Cruz's valuation and wage packet means a loan move is Hughes' only realistic chance of a reunion with the Paraguay striker.

Away from City, Luke Young's decision to back out of a move from Aston Villa to Liverpool over fears of a lack of first team action could encourage Hughes to make a move.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298754/Fulham-target-Robert-Green-Mark-Schwarzer-wants-join-Arsenal.html?#ixzz0v93fUi00

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/29/mark-hughes-fulham-manager?
Mark Hughes agrees two-year deal after Fulham appointment confirmed
• First match for new manager is friendly with Werder Bremen
• 'I am confident we can move this club forward'

Mark Hughes was tonight confirmed as Fulham's new manager after agreeing a two-year deal. Fulham had been seeking a replacement for Roy Hodgson since he swapped Craven Cottage for Anfield last month.

The former Manchester City boss emerged as the frontrunner after a failed bid to prise Martin Jol from Ajax and he will begin work at the club immediately, taking charge of his first match in the friendly meeting with Werder Bremen on 7 August.

Hughes acknowledged the success Hodgson enjoyed at the club – most notably taking them to the Europa League final last season – but has already set out his own blueprint for taking them forward.

Hughes said on the club's website: "I have discussed my aspirations with both the chairman and [the chief executive] Alistair Mackintosh and believe that we are aligned in our aims for what can realistically be achieved here.

"I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition.

"I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward in the right direction.

"I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign and we will work hard to achieve that. I'm looking forward to working with the squad as soon as possible, and in making sure the on-pitch preparations are complete before the first competitive ball is kicked in August."

WhiteJC

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/10/07/29/manual_220906.html
FULHAM 13/8 FOR TOP HALF FINISH

Fulham are 13/8 with Sky Bet to finish the 2010/11 Premier League season in the top half under new manager Mark Hughes.

The former Manchester City manager was confirmed as Roy Hodgson's successor at Craven Cottage on Thursday night having been out of football since December.

Hughes' new team narrowly missed out on silverware last term when they lost the Europa League final and are 16/1 with the online bookmaker to lift a trophy in Hughes' first season.

The Cottagers are 16/1 to beat Hodgson's new team Liverpool in both Premier League games this season, and 12/1 to do the double over London rivals Tottenham.

Hughes' first league game in charge of Fulham will be against Bolton at the Reebok Stadium on August 14.

They are 2/1 to claim maximum points from their opening fixture, while Bolton are 6/5 and the draw is on offer at 9/4 with Sky Bet.

Fulham are 20/1 to finish next season in the Premier League's top six, and 40/1 to secure one of the Champions League spots.

Sky Bet Football Compiler Joe Petyt said: "Hughes will have his work cut out matching Roy Hodgson's achievements at Craven Cottage but he's proven in the Premier League and always looked the logical appointment after Martin Jol was ruled out.

"After a disappointing end to his time at Man City I'm sure he'll be determined to succeed"

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=eng/news/newsid=1509214.html?
Hughes takes charge of Fulham

Mark Hughes is looking forward to "the challenges of expectation and ambition" at Fulham FC after being named the new manager of last season's UEFA Europa League runners-up.

Last season's UEFA Europa League runners-up Fulham FC have appointed Mark Hughes as their new manager on a two-year contract.

Fulham suffered a 2-1 extra-time defeat by Club Atlético de Madrid in the inaugural UEFA Europa League final in May and subsequently lost manager Roy Hodgson to Liverpool FC on 1 July. They have now filled that void with former Manchester United FC, FC Barcelona and Chelsea FC striker Hughes, who left the Manchester City FC helm in December. "I would like to welcome Mark Hughes to Fulham," said Cottagers chairman Mohamed Al Fayed. "I know he understands my vision for the club, and believes in what we want to achieve."

Hughes, also formerly manager of Wales and Blackburn Rovers FC, added: "I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history, and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition. I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward in the right direction. I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign and we will work hard to achieve that."

WhiteJC

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2010/07/mark-hughes-the-right-man-to-take-fulham-forward/?
Mark Hughes the right man to take Fulham forward

Mark Hughes has been selected as the man to build upon the foundations laid by Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage. The Welshman is the correct choice as it leaves Fulham in capable and ambitious hands.

Whoever ended up at the helm, an unenviable task was always going to await the Cottagers' next manager. Replacing the popular and successful Hodgson is an almost impossible undertaking.

But it now falls to Hughes to stamp his own identity upon the club and a British manager was a sensible choice.

The time it would take Roberto Donadoni to settle into English football and the media circus which would follow Sven-Göran Eriksson made them both unsuitable options.

The foreign candidates which lay at Chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed's disposal such as Donadoni and Eriksson may have added glamour to the modest surroundings at Craven Cottage, but there would be no guarantee of instant success.

Vitally, Hughes has Premier League experience in abundance. He worked under tight financial constraints at Blackburn Rovers with an average squad and displayed a sharp eye for a bargain—the signing of Roque Santa Cruz a testament to his talent-spotting ability.

Other acute acquisitions include Bennie McCarthy for £2 million, Christopher Samba for a measley £400,000 and Stephen Warnock, who was prised from Liverpool for £1.5 million.

It bodes well for Fulham fans who have become accustomed to bargain purchases for small fees.

And a quick glance at his record in the League shows that Hughes breeds success. For a club with moderate funds, under the guidance of the former Manchester United forward, Blackburn finished 14th, 6th, 10th and 7th.

Similar to Blackburn, Fulham will not be expected to challenge the financial mite of the top six clubs. Thus they will look towards lengthy campaigns in the domestic cup competitions to provide chances of silverware.

During Hughes' four-year spell at Ewood Park, Blackburn reached three consecutive FA Cup semi-finals. Additionally, in the League Cup, Manchester United narrowly defeated Hughes' side in the semi-finals in 2005-06.

Al-Fayed has a reputation as a difficult chairman to work with. Yet Hughes dealt admirably with the weight of expectation that he shouldered during his time at Manchester City.

His eventual dismissal from Eastlands was met with outrage throughout the Premier League. The facts showed Hughes was a mere six points away from the objective demanded by the City hierarchy: fourth place.

Fulham's style of football has improved in recent years under Hodgson and it would be folly to suggest that the great European nights, such the magical performance against Juventus, will be instantly replicated by Hughes.

Yet the Welsh manager's passion will propel Fulham to continued success. And it is not unforeseeable that Fulham will grace a domestic cup final in coming seasons with the good times at Craven Cottage looking set to continue.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/07/29/mark-hughes-relishing-fulham-role-82029-26960537/?
Mark Hughes relishing Fulham role

MARK Hughes has vowed to continue the success story at Craven Cottage after being confirmed as the new Fulham boss this evening.

The Welshman fought off the challenge of Sven-Goran Eriksson to become Roy Hodgson's successor when he penned a two-year deal in SW6.

Hodgson led Fulham to a top-10 finish and a Europa League final in his two full seasons in charge of the club.

But Hughes insists the Whites can get even better.

He said: "I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history, and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition.

"I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move the club forward in the right direction."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298829/Mark-Hughes-new-Fulham-boss-Sparky-pens-year-deal-Craven-Cottage.html?
Mark Hughes becomes new Fulham boss: Sparky pens two-year deal at Craven Cottage

Mark Hughes was confirmed as Fulham's new manager after agreeing a two-year deal.

Fulham had been seeking a replacement for Roy Hodgson since he swapped Craven Cottage for Anfield earlier this summer, and failed in a bid to prise Martin Jol from Ajax.

Former Manchester City boss Hughes emerged as the frontrunner after talks with the Dutchman ran their course, and he will begin work at the club immediately, taking charge of his first match in the friendly meeting with Werder Bremen on August 7.

Hughes acknowledged the success Hodgson enjoyed at the club - most notably taking them to the Europa League final last season - but has already set out his own blueprint for taking them forward.

Hughes told the club's website: 'I have discussed my aspirations with both the  chairman and (chief executive) Alistair Mackintosh and believe that we are aligned in our aims for what can realistically be achieved here.

'I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition.

'I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward in the right direction.

'I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign and we will work hard to achieve that.

'I'm looking forward to working with the squad as soon as possible, and in making sure the on-pitch preparations are complete before the first competitive ball is kicked in August.'

Hughes, who will be presented to the media on Tuesday, began his transition from highly-decorated player to manager when he took charge of the Welsh national team in 1999.

He won praise for his efforts in the role, although he could not quite steer them to the major championships the nation desired.

He resigned his post in 2004, taking over at the club where he had ended his playing days, Blackburn.

From there he was appointed Manchester City boss, enjoying an 18-month stay at Eastlands during which he had greatly increased funds but also hugely inflated expectations.

The latter eventually proved his undoing and he has been out of work since leaving City in December.

His new employer, chairman Mohammad Al Fayed, said: 'I would like to welcome Mark Hughes to Fulham. I know that he understands my vision for the club, and believes in what we want achieve.

'We have enjoyed two incredibly successful years, and my hopes and dreams for this club are for that journey to continue. I am confident that with his Premier League and national team successes Mark will be a great guy for the job.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1298829/Mark-Hughes-new-Fulham-boss-Sparky-pens-year-deal-Craven-Cottage.html?#ixzz0v961NkQ5

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/07/29/fulham-fans-hail-mark-hughes-appointment-82029-26960563/?
Fulham fans hail Mark Hughes appointment

FULHAM fans have backed Mohamed Al Fayed's decision to name Mark Hughes as the new boss.

The former Blackburn and Man City manager pipped Swede Sven-Goran Eriksson to the post when he was confirmed as Roy Hodgson's successor this evening.

And supporters on the Cottage Corner messageboard have welcomed Hughes to SW6.

One commented: "Mark Hughes is a fantastic manager and I am proud yo have him at Fulham," while another added, "I am delighted Sparky will be our new manager, from this point upwards."

Some fans even wanted Hughes as boss before Martin Jol rejected the post, adding: "I wanted him over [Martin] Jol and my dream is coming true!"

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/29/mark-hughes-craig-bellamy-fulham?
Fulham's Mark Hughes plans to hijack Tottenham's bid for Craig Bellamy
• Hughes makes deal priority after signing two-year contract
• Bellamy previously signed by Hughes at Blackburn and City

Mark Hughes will attempt to scupper Tottenham Hotspur's move for Craig Bellamy after he was confirmed as Fulham's new manger. Hughes has signed a two-year deal as Roy Hodgson's successor at Craven Cottage and he will make Bellamy, the Manchester City striker, one of his top transfer targets.

Ray Lewington, who has been in caretaker charge since Hodgson's departure, has been retained on the coaching staff.

Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham manager, has a long-standing interest in Bellamy, having tried to sign him in January of last year from West Ham United only for the player to move to Eastlands for £14m. Redknapp is aware the City manager Roberto Mancini has to slim down his squad to 25 senior players to comply with this season's regulations and he hopes to exploit the situation with a bid for Bellamy. Redknapp also wants the City defender Micah Richards.

But Hughes has a close relationship with Bellamy, having worked with him during his first managerial job in charge of Wales; taken him to Blackburn Rovers from Newcastle United in the summer of 2005 for £5m and then signed him for City. Although Bellamy's weekly wage might represent a stumbling block, Hughes would like to buy him for the third time. Bellamy, 31, has played for eight clubs during his career and has had £45m spent on him in transfer fees. Hughes is also interested in another two of his former City players, the midfielder Stephen Ireland and the striker Roque Santa Cruz.

Hughes acknowledged the success Hodgson enjoyed at Fulham – most notably taking them to the Europa League final last season – but has already set out his own blueprint for taking them forward.

Hughes said on the club's website: "I have discussed my aspirations with the chairman [Mohamed Al Fayed] and [the chief executive] Alistair Mackintosh and believe that we are aligned in our aims for what can realistically be achieved here. I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition.

"I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward. I hope the Fulham fans will enjoy some special times during this season's campaign."

Redknapp himself would not be drawn on the Bellamy deal last night. "I like Craig Bellamy but I don't know if they [City] would sell him," said Redknapp after Spurs' 4-1 friendly defeat by Villarreal. "The chairman deals with all the transfers. He asks me what I want and I tell him. I don't know where he's at with Bellamy, if anywhere."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/schwarzer-still-keen-quit-fulham-arsenal-1009781?
Schwarzer still keen to quit Fulham for Arsenal

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is reportedly still keen to quit the club to make a dream move to Arsenal.

The 37-year old Australian veteran has been linked heavily with the Gunners for much of the European summer and reports emanating from the UK suggest he is still determined to land at Emirates Stadium.

Fulham are set to announce ex-Manchester City manager Mark Hughes as their replacement for Roy Hodgson and that is set to spark some transfer action out of Craven Cottage as there will now be a man in place to make decisions.

West Ham United's Robert Green is being earmarked as Schwarzer's replacement despite his gaffe for England at the World Cup but the decision is likely to rest with Hughes who may have final call on whether or not Schwarzer gets to end his career with one of England's 'big four'.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/07/29/mark-hughes-admits-he-s-got-his-work-cut-out-at-fulham-64767-26960695/?
Mark Hughes admits he's got his work cut out at Fulham

MARK Hughes has vowed to continue the success story at Craven Cottage after being confirmed as the new Fulham boss this evening.

The Welshman fought off the challenge of Sven-Goran Eriksson to become Roy Hodgson's successor when he penned a two-year deal in SW6.

Hodgson led Fulham to a top-10 finish and a Europa League final in his two full seasons in charge of the club.
But Hughes insists the Whites can get even better.

He said: "I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history, and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition.

"I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move the club forward in the right direction."

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-come-villa's-young-1009901?
Fulham come in for Villa's Young

Fulham have joined Liverpool in the queue for Aston Villa defender Luke Young.

The Reds appeared to be the only club interested in the 31-year old right-back but Fulham have now made their intentions clear by expressing considerable interest.

Reports suggest Young does not want to head north and would rather return to London where he had stints with Tottenham and Charlton Athletic.

Incoming Cottagers boss Mark Hughes is believed to be keen on Young and is expected to push through a deal when he arrives in the Craven Cottage hot seat.

WhiteJC

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/mark-hughes-is-new-fulham-manager-14893872.html?
Mark Hughes is new Fulham manager

Mark Hughes is to become to new Fulham manager.

The Cottagers stopped short of confirming that Hughes was their choice, but they are now close to announcing his arrival as successor to Roy Hodgson.

Hughes is believed to have reached an agreement on a two-year contract with the club.

He is likely to be given around £15million to spend on players by Mohamed Al-Fayed and he will link up again with chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, with whom he worked closely during his time at City.

Among the players being linked with a move to Fulham is City striker Craig Bellamy.

Hughes took Welshman Bellamy to both Blackburn and City and, although wages may present a problem for the Cottagers, it is understood Bellamy is a genuine target.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/mark-hughes-is-new-fulham-manager-14893872.html?#ixzz0v97tCDMN

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/liverpool/6285749/Hughes-right-for-Fulham-Hodgson?
Hughes right for Fulham - Hodgson

Former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson believes Mark Hughes is an excellent choice to succeed him at Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers have confirmed the appointment of the ex-Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City boss on a two-year deal.

Hodgson, who led Fulham to the Europa League final last season, created the vacancy when he left the London club for Liverpool last month.

Speaking after the Reds' Europa League qualifier against FK Rabotnicki in Macedonia on Thursday night, Hodgson said: "It is a good appointment.

"I am very pleased for him and Fulham Football Club.

"I think Mark is a very good manager and he has proved his worth many times.

"It is good Fulham have got such an experienced man to take over.

"I think he will enjoy working at Fulham because it is a fantastic club with fantastic people and magnificent players.

"I wish him well, but not too well when he plays against us - but I know he will do well."

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7917991/Mark-Hughes-up-for-the-challenge-after-being-confirmed-as-Fulhams-new-manager.html?
Mark Hughes up for the challenge after being confirmed as Fulham's new manager
Mark Hughes fearless as he prepares for latest challenge after signing two-year deal with Fulham to become the successor to Roy Hodgson.

Although he stands at a relatively modest 5ft 10in, throughout Hughes's career he has made a habit of filling big shoes.

As a 20 year-old at Manchester United, he took Norman Whiteside's place in the United front line. A quarter of a century later, he replaced the formidable Sven-Goran Eriksson at Eastlands. Now, in taking the reins at Craven Cottage, he is following one of the most successful acts in Fulham's history.

Say what you like about Hughes, but he could never be accused of shirking a challenge.

Last night Hughes was confirmed as Fulham's replacement for Hodgson and he will be presented at a press conference next Tuesday.

The 46-year-old Welshman has signed a two-year deal, ending owner Mohamed Fayed and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh's month-long search for a man capable of emulating Hodgson's achievement of a top-seven Premier League finish and a European final.

Fulham were disappointed at failing to land their preferred option after Martin Jol was unable to break free of his shackles at Ajax. But tempting Hughes to Craven Cottage, rejecting names such as Eriksson and Cardiff manager Dave Jones, will hearten Fulham fans who feared that in hiring their second choice, they would be forced to settle for second best.

In the circumstances, Hughes's signing is a considerable coup.

"I know that he understands my vision for the club, and believes in what we want achieve," said Fayed last night. "We have enjoyed two incredibly successful years, and my hopes and dreams for this club are for that journey to continue. I am confident that with his Premier League and national team successes, Mark will be a great guy for the job."

For his part, Hughes has evidently judged that this is the right moment to make his re-entry, seven months after falling victim to Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahyan's bloodless coup. Since finding himself unemployed, he will not have been short on offers – Hull City and Turkey were among the potential suitors – but clearly needed a little time away from the game.

'I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the Club's history, and that in itself brings with it the challenges of expectation and ambition," Hughes said. "I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward in the right direction."

There were also words of encouragement last night from Hodgson. "I am very pleased for Mark and the club. He has proved his worth already many times."

A number of transfers had been put on hold by the limbo at Fulham. They have reached an agreement with Aston Villa over a £2 million move for midfielder Steve Sidwell, while Arsenal want to sign goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer. Paul Konchesky may well follow Hodgson to Liverpool, providing Hughes can secure a replacement before the start of the season – likely to be Aston Villa's Nicky Shorey.

A phone call to his old employers at Eastlands may be Hughes's first move. There are deals to be had among City's disaffected, and Hughes is expected to be handed a transfer budget of around £15 million. Roque Santa Cruz could make Fulham the third club at which he has worked under Hughes, along with Stephen Ireland, neglected by the current regime.

Craig Bellamy would be the most ambitious move of all, as Fulham would have to stave off interest from Tottenham.

In any case, those Fulham supporters expecting continuity with the Hodgson era underestimate Hughes's determination to assert his identity on his teams. He did it at Blackburn, where he dismantled a struggling team and bought – at very little expense – an entirely new one. David Bentley, Ryan Nelsen and Stephen Warnock were all testament to Hughes's instinct and eye for a bargain.

Hughes's reserved style constitutes a marked break from the loquacious Hodgson. As a man and as a manager, Hughes has preferred to keep his counsel, delegating heavily to the backroom staff that is expected to follow him through the door.

Deputy and long-time confidant Mark Bowen, goalkeeping coach Kevin Hitchcock and first-team coach Eddie Niedzwiecki, all of whom worked with him at Manchester City, will all be at Fulham. Ray Lewington, Hodgson's lieutenant who has been in temporary charge of the team, has been assured of a place at the club and is likely to remain.

"Mark's quiet, but he can be tough as well. With the team he has around him, he makes it work," says Ian Rush, an international team-mate for more than a decade. "He makes sure he knows the players he's dealing with inside out. And he's done well everywhere he's been."

Viv Anderson played with Hughes at Old Trafford for three years, and believes it is Hughes's attention to detail that is his strongest attribute. "He studies videos, he uses a lot of technology and statistics, and he takes things on board very quickly. He's a really top coach," he said.

Mark Hughes factfile:

United hero
Hughes joined Manchester United in 1980 at the age of 16, but had to wait three years to make his debut. He quickly established himself, though, winning Young Player of the Year in 1985.

Spain pain
Barcelona manager Terry Venables signed Hughes for a British record £2.3 million, hoping to team him up with Gary Lineker. Instead, Hughes struggled, failing to nail down a place in the side, and was lent out to Bayern Munich after a season.

Red again
Hughes returned to Old Trafford just as Alex Ferguson was crafting his first great dynasty and won seven trophies in as many years.

Perhaps his most memorable contribution was a last-minute scissor kick to win the 1994 FA Cup semi-final against Oldham. He left in 1995, but continued playing for another seven years at Chelsea, Southampton, Everton and Blackburn.

Welsh terrier
It took less than 20 minutes for Hughes to score for Wales, but in almost 20 years as player and manager, he never went to a major international tournament. Euro 2004 play-off defeat to Russia was the closest he got.

Destination Ewood
Hughes walked out on Wales to join Blackburn in 2004 and steered them clear of relegation before moulding them into a top six side and taking them into Europe.

Getting the blues
At Manchester City, Hughes was given one of the fattest chequebooks in Premier League history. Robinho, Barry and Adebayor were among the talent brought into Eastlands, but with a top four place in the balance, he was sacked by the club's Abu Dhabi owners.