more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (18/10/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 18, 2015, 08:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Stevenage keeper Joronen scores the opener

Stevenage goalkeeper Jesse Joronen netted his side's opener against Wycombe Wanderers.

The Finnish keeper's long ball down the pitch was misjudged by the opposing stopper, seeing the ball go straight in.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-10-17/stevenage-keeper-joronen-scores-the-opener/?

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough slip up with home draw against Fulham

Middlesbrough lost ground on Sky Bet Championship leaders Brighton after being held to a goalless draw by Fulham.

The hosts failed to break down their opponents at the Riverside and subsequently slipped to third behind Reading and the Seagulls.

Boro, sitting two points off top, were desperate to triumph following their 2-0 loss at Reading prior to the international break.

That defeat ended a seven-game winning run for the north-east club, although there was no sign of the class on show during that streak in a drab opening half.

Middlesbrough improved following the interval, although Fulham - led by the tireless Ross McCormack - had their moments.

Yet neither could muster a decisive breakthrough, McCormack missing the best chance in the dying moments, and Boro slipped four points behind Brighton - who earned a late 2-1 win at Leeds.

Both teams struggled to find their rhythm during the opening exchanges, McCormack firing the first effort over from 20 yards.

That seemed to raise the spirits of the visitors, who almost took the lead in the ninth minute.

Ryan Tunnicliffe showed great endeavour on the right before being denied by Dimi Konstantopoulos, with Daniel Ayala producing a fine sliding challenge to deny McCormack a simple tap-in.

Seemingly reawakened, Middlesbrough hit back as Stewart Downing sent in a fine low cross that Diego Fabbrini curled narrowly wide.

Aitor Karanka's men enjoyed a good spell thereafter, although they were not able to turn possession into any real chances.

The same was true of their opponents as the game took on an increasingly end-to-end feel, with Fulham failing to capitalise on some threatening moments.

Middlesbrough flew out of the blocks early in the second period and their pressure almost brought reward when George Friend forced Andy Lonergan into a smart save from range.

Downing was next to threaten, cutting in from the right and curling narrowly over the crossbar.

Karanka introduced Albert Adomah for the listless Carlos De Pena, and the winger almost made an immediate impact when forcing Richard Stearman into a defensive header that fell to Grant Leadbitter - who blazed over.

Much like in the opening half, though, Fulham came back at the hosts, with Jamie O'Hara's powerful volley forcing a save from Konstantopoulos.

Both teams pressed for a winner as the game wore on, and Adomah stung the gloves of Lonergan.

That stop paled into comparison to the one produced by his opposite number in the 70th minute, Konstantopoulos diving to beat away McCormack's fizzing strike one-handed.

An even better opportunity fell to the Scottish forward in injury time but, following good work from Moussa Dembele and Tunnicliffe, he curled over from 12 yards.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/match/422826/middlesbrough-fulham/report?

WhiteJC

Aitor Karanka frustrated as Middlesbrough draw with Fulham

Aitor Karanka bemoaned promotion-chasing Middlesbrough's disappointing display following the goalless draw with Fulham.

Boro slipped to four points behind leaders Brighton after putting in a listless display against a game Fulham side.

In fact, the hosts were perhaps fortunate to leave with a point after Ross McCormark missed a glorious chance to net the decisive goal in injury time.

And Karanka was far from pleased with Middlesbrough's performance, especially ahead of back-to-back away games against Cardiff and Wolves.

"We didn't play the way we usually do," he said. "I am especially disappointed with the start because you need to begin well at home.

"We know sides will do this (try to frustrate us), but we have to find a way to win the game - especially at home. "We have three games away in two weeks now, so that's disappointing.

I can understand the crowd being frustrated, because I felt the same way."

The boss also accused Fulham of time-wasting during the clash, although he admitted it had little impact on the result. Karanka continued: "They were always trying to waste time, from the beginning of the game. "I spoke to the referee at half-time, but I thought it was the same in the second half.

However, I thought the score was fair." Karanka insisted, too, that he is unconcerned about the table at this stage of the campaign.

He added: "I prefer to think about the game today rather than worry about the table. We have to play Cardiff on Tuesday and now we're focussing on that. "Perhaps after the Wolves game next weekend, I can sit in the press conference after two away wins."

Opposite number Kit Symons conceded that he has spoken to his players about "managing the game" better, yet refuted Karanka's assertion of any real gamesmanship.

"They [Middlesbrough] were having a bit of a grumble during the first half," he said. "It wasn't something we set out to do.

"We've had a few chats about managing the game better and you come to somewhere like here, you're not going to go rushing after balls when you're drawing."

Speaking about the result, Symons added:
"It's mixed emotions, but to come here, get a clean sheet and a point is very pleasing. "In the end, we could have won the game, but I am pleased - and that is the overriding feeling at the moment."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/middlesbrough/aitor-karanka-frustrated-as-middlesbrough-draw-with-fulham-1785560.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Kit Symons shrugs off Middlesbrough FC 'time-wasting' accusations

Fulham dug deep to earn a 0-0 draw with Boro at the Riverside, with manager Kit Symons left delighted by the result

Fulham manager Kit Symons

Fulham manager Kit Symons laughed off suggestions that his side were guilty of time-wasting towards the end of their goalless draw with Middlesbrough FC at the Riverside.

Aitor Karanka's side were left frustrated as they couldn't force a way past the stubborn Cottagers, and the Boro bench were fuming with the amount of time it took for Fulham to take goal kicks and free-kicks towards the end.

But Symons, who came into the match with his future at Craven Cottage shrouded in doubt, said he had no problems with Boro's gripes - insisting his side "managed" the game well.

When asked if he had anything to say about the alleged time-wasting, Symons said: "Not particularly, if they'd have been one-nil up I don't think they'd have been rushing particularly.

"At 0-0 it was a good result for us, but we coud have won the game. I don't think he's got too much to worry about.

"They were having a bit of a grumble during the first half, but it's not something we set out to do.

"After we played Charlton before the international break and were winning 2-0, cruising but then drew 2-2, we had some chats about managing the game better.

"So to come here against a very good side, a tough place to come, you're not going to rush after balls. The referee got a bit shirty at the end but we managed the game well and I'm pleased."

Fulham arrived in the North-east having not beaten Boro away from home in more than three decades, and they could have ended that run had Ross McCormack put away a late chance.

Symons agreed that the Cottagers could easily be heading back down to London tonight with all three points, but refused to be too downbeat.

"To come to a tough place like this against a really good side and get a clen sheet is very pleasing, I've got to be happy with that," he added.

"But in the end we're disappointed not to have come away with all three points. But it was a good performance.

"We looked at them and knew they're a good side, and if we pressed too high they'd be able to pass through us. So we dropped off to the half-way line and made ourselves very compact.

"They then got frustrated and tried to force it a bit. They put us under pressure in the second half but we defended well and both our goalkeepers didn't have too many saves to make."

In the build-up to the match, reports in London suggested the Fulham hierarchy were contemplating dismissing Symons after a mixed start to the season.

But the Fulham chief isn't too worried about that, insisting his side's display at the Riverside shows how quickly they are becoming a tough Championship unit.

"I've been pleased with how the players have performed since the start of this season," Symons said.

"We would have liked to get a few more points on the board but this is a brilliant group of players and I have 100% belief in their ability.

"It's a new team that was put together in the summer, there were loads of ins and loads of outs.

"Middlesbrough are a really good side assembled over a number of years, and we're very much playing catch-up. But on today's showing we're catching up quite quickly."

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-manager-kit-symons-shrugs-10281312?

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper injured in draw with Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough 0 Fulham 0

Fulham lost goalkeeper Andy Lonergan to injury late on at the Riverside but still earned a point from a gutsy performance.

Lonergan, who looked impregnable during a solid display, tweaked his hamstring with 14 minutes remaining and was replaced by Joe Lewis for his Fulham debut.

With left-back James Husband ineligible against his parent club, fellow loanee Luke Garbutt made his first start for the Whites after recovering from injury.

The defence kept high-flying Boro' at bay, and when the home side did get in behind Diego Fabbrini slotted wide from Stewart Downing's cross.

Early in the second half, Richard Stearman blocked from Dave Nugent as he went through on goal, while Daniel Ayala nodded straight at Lonergan as Middlesbrough pressed.

Ross McCormack was Fulham's focal point and he forced Dimi Konstantopoulos into a good save, before curling an effort just over in the dying stages.

The injury to Lonergan will be a worry for Fulham as they are already without the sidelined Marcus Bettinelli.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-keeper-injured-in-draw-with-middlesbrough?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss bites back at Middlesbrough claims over time wasting in 0-0 draw

Gaffer says 'point was pleasing'

Fulham were accused of time wasting by Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka after today's 0-0 draw at the Riverside Stadium - but it had little effect on Kit Symons.

The Whites boss was delighted his side had managed the game as promised, and reckoned a point at the Championship high-fliers was hard won.

"They [Middlesbrough] were having a bit of a grumble during the first half," he said. "It wasn't something we set out to do.

"We've had a few chats about managing the game better and you come to somewhere like here, you're not going to go rushing after balls when you're drawing."

Speaking about the result, Symons added: "It's mixed emotions, but to come here, get a clean sheet and a point is very pleasing.

"In the end, we could have won the game, but I am pleased - and that is the overriding feeling at the moment."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-bites-back-middlesbrough-10281783?

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough boss accuses Fulham of gamesmanship

Boro boss unhappy with Symons' tactics after draw

Aitor Karanka bemoaned Fulham's attempts to 'waste time' although he had no complaints with the result as his Middlesbrough side were held to a 0-0 draw.

The Boro boss, whose side have a reputation for winning ugly, had spoken to the referee at half-time in a bid to try and get him to come down on Kit Symons' side, however the Whites still held firm and claimed a valuable point at the Championship high fliers.

Karanka said: "They were always trying to waste time, from the beginning of the game.

"I spoke to the referee at half-time, but I thought it was the same in the second half. However, I thought the score was fair."

And the Spaniard was far from pleased with Middlesbrough's performance, especially ahead of back-to-back away games against Cardiff and Wolves.

"We didn't play the way we usually do," he said. "I am especially disappointed with the start because you need to begin well at home.

"We know sides will do this (try to frustrate us), but we have to find a way to win the game - especially at home.

"We have three games away in two weeks now, so that's disappointing. I can understand the crowd being frustrated, because I felt the same way."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-boss-accuses-fulham-gamesmanship-10281782?

WhiteJC

Stears: Hard Work Paying Off

Richard Stearman believes the sweat and graft put in on the Motspur Park training ground shone through at the Riverside Stadium as Fulham shut out free-scoring Middlesbrough.

The Whites frustrated their hosts throughout the 90 minutes on Saturday and could even have taken all three points late on, but a goalless draw on Teesside was still a respectable outcome.

"We knew it was going to be a very tough game today," Stearman told fulhamfc.com. "They are right up there and have scored a lot of goals so to get a point, and keep a clean sheet as well, we are very pleased with that.

"We've worked very hard over these past couple of weeks since the last game, certainly defensively, after what we thought was two points dropped against Charlton due to a couple of defensive errors.

"Today you could see the work that we put in and the result we had was very impressive."

The Whites now return to the Cottage in a matter of days when Leeds United visit, and the defender is eagerly anticipating getting back on home soil.

"We've given our away fans something to cheer about with a point, and a very well earned one too," he said. "We're looking forward to the game on Wednesday now and hopefully we can pick up three points."

Leeds come to SW6 on the back of a defeat to league leaders Brighton & Hove Albion, and struggling towards the bottom of the table, but Stearman knows they are still a tough proposition.

"There are no easy games in the Championship," he insisted. "Leeds will bring a lot of fans down, so it's going to be a tough game but hopefully one we can come away with three points from."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/17/stears-hard-work-paying-off?

WhiteJC

Cohen Callaghan Chamberlain

Have a watch of the Premier League's tribute to Johnny Haynes following the unveiling of his statue in 2008.

Many thanks to the Premier League and IMG for use of the footage.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/october/18/gone-but-not-forgotten?