watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

That's just like... your opinion, man.

Started by God The Mechanic, October 22, 2015, 01:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

God The Mechanic

This is gonna be a long post, sorry.  And it's all just opinion, sorrynotsorry.

So, we're just over a quarter of the way through the season.  We've had 12 league games, seven games since the transfer window closed, and we have as settled a squad as we're gonna have until January.  So where do we stand?

Lonergan - arguably #1 at the start of the season, since Bettinelli's injury he's undisputed #1.  Fantastic shot stopper, can be iffy in the air with crosses and his kicking can be wayward but has saved significantly more points than he has (or will likely) cost us.  One of our best bits of business without a doubt.
Bettinelli - similar strengths and weaknesses as Lonergan, just without the experience.  When he's back from injury both of them will benefit from the competition.
Lewis - emergency loan since Bettinelli got injured and not much more could have been asked of him - he's not played many games but in the three he has he's acquitted himself very well.  Game saving saves at times - fantastic third/second choice keeper for this level from what we've seen so far.

Richards - defensively suspect, apart from when he's with the Welsh national team.  Better going forwards than he is defensively most of the time.  Very mid-paced.  Definitely decent at this level, but liable to do something stupid for no reason whatsoever.
Fredericks - as fast as a very fast thing, really our only legitimately pacey player.  Not seen him tested enough defensively, but his pace has and will get both him and his teammates out of trouble more than once this season.  Offensively a very useful player as he can burn past players as we saw against QPR.
Voser - jack of a bunch of trades, master of none.  Mid-paced like Richards but so far this season he's proved himself to be a useful utility player - much moreso than last year.
Grimmer - young and inexperienced, not seen enough of him and no idea how he'll recover from his injury.  Could be an interesting experiment as the right sided member of a defensive 3.  More on that later...

Stearman - has looked pretty decent so far, calming and better with the ball at his feet than almost any of our defenders since Hughes.  Needs to be more commanding in the air, but I've been impressed with him by and large.
Burn - very good in the air, very heart attack inducing on the ground.  Zero pace, giant turning circle but will/should dominate most balls in the air.  Very useful player to have, but not suited to all opponents and may benefit from playing as part of a three man defence.
Hutchinson - Burn-lite.  Not as good in the air, not as bad on the ground and a tad faster.
Ream - I've been impressed by his assuredness so far.  Him and Stearman look like a work in progress, but a promising one.  Will be key to any attempts to build form the back, which will hopefully result in fewer aimless, panicked balls launched up front.
Bodurov - eh, the less said about him the better.  Looked as decent as anyone else at the start of last season, but that eventually proved to be no real endorsement.
Burgess - from what I've seen he isn't ready and needs to be loaned out, not really worth considering in terms of the first team.

Garbutt - pacey, good delivery, inexperienced and iffy defensively.  But erratic.  The only constant seems to be inexperienced defensively.
Husband - similar to Garbutt really.  Neither of them convince defensively, but can definitely offer a good deal going forwards.
Kavanagh - really don't rate him.  He's been moved about a lot, but he's lightweight, poor on the ball and not great defensively as well as liable to get a bit rash.

Parker - who knows!  He could come back strong, but for me he was poor last season and a year older and an injury worse off we could be finally seeing the end of him as a first team player.  His experience will be invaluable, but I hope he's seen as nothing more than a squad player for killing the game in the last 10/15 mins or so.
Cairney - scored some good and important goals at the start of the season, petered out a little recently and then there was the ludicrous challenge that has seen him sit out the last few games.  I rate him, he's creative and will pop up with a goal every now and again.  He's been similar to LVC last year, minus the dynamism that the latter brings.
Mattila - not seen enough of him, though he did impress in a Finland Euros qualifier I saw a week or so ago.  Good range of passing with decent stature.
Tunnicliffe - wanted rid in the summer but he's been one of the more impressive and hardworking players so far this season.  His limitations though are obvious - he's a very good athlete, but a pretty average footballer.  Doesn't have the tactical nous to sit back and cover, nor the technique to regularly threaten in front of goal.  Bit of a blunt instrument, but a useful one to have.
O'Hara - signing of the season so far, he's the dictator that we've longed for since Murphy left.  My only problem with him is that he doesn't have the legs to maraud forwards, nor does he have the defensive sensibilities to sit in front of the defence.  But he has to play, simple as that.
LVC - been very unimpressed with him this year - it could be a positional thing, it could be a mental thing since his injury.  Either way, he had something about him last year that desperately, for both him and us, needs to be rediscovered.  We need his dynamism, his goals and honestly (almost more than anything else) the hope that he brought with his rise last year.
Hyndman - a battle lost unfortunately, I wanted him and LVC to be rotated throughout this season but it appears as though that's just not gonna happen.  Will be surprised if he hits double figures barring a midfield cataclysm.

Pringle - a bit of an enigma, can provide sensational crosses but can also be awful.  Doesn't have the stamina for a full game, but could perform well if we need a goal and lump Smith up top.
Kacaniklic - if a young player has regressed as much as he has in the last few seasons I'll be very surprised.  He's just... frustrating.  He could be an excellent player at this level, but he either has no confidence in his own ability or has lost the ability that he clearly had a few years ago.   Arguably our only senior wide midfielder, so we kinda need him!
Williams - will be interesting to see how he recovers from his injury, but is one of few players in the senior squad who can and will happily play out wide.  Will be interesting to see how he comes along in the rest of 2015, could be a useful player to have in the second half of the season.

Smith - absolute marmite.  I understand why people want him in the team, but I disagree with those calls.  Very useful squad player, but I want better football than his attributes are suited to.  Yes, he isn't JUST a big lump to hit but that's how the team plays when he's on the pitch.  I want more guile and creativity, and we have better players who are more suited to that style of play than Smith is.  If we're chasing the game he's undoubtedly useful, or if we're defending corner after corner trying to hold on, but for be he is a definite Plan B.
Woodrow - he's scored some good and important goals for us, and he has the stature to be a good link/hold up player - but he's too similar (for me) to McCormack, and the latter won't get dropped no matter how poor he plays.  Would like to see him and Dembele play a few games together, ideally in the cup - or if we're a good few goals up and comfortable in place of Ross.
Dembele - he brings pace to an attack, and largely a team, that is so horrendously one paced.  Without him we have no one who is going to run beyond the defence and stretch it, Ross drops too deep, Cairney, Pringle and O'Hara don't have the pace or engine to do it - LVC is the only player who provides thrust from the midfield, so me need Dembele to stretch the defence to create space for the likes of Ross and Cairney.
McCormack - when he plays well he's great and we play well, when he doesn't he's god awful and we're god awful.  If he wants to he looks like a (Championship) world beater, but he's not looked like he wants to too often this season.  Very Rooney-like at times - if he doesn't score he's contributing nothing and more likely to be found in the centre circle than up top.  Which sucks, cos he's our main forward.

This is how I see our squad right now.  So what do I WANT from this squad?  Well... a whole lot more than it's provided so far.

I made a post a while back, maybe a month or two ago, about a change in formation and nothing I have seen since then has made me think about changing my mind.  As the squad is now, we have an absolute abundance of central players.  We have probably only Fredericks who can naturally play as a right winger and Kaca and Williams (Pringle debatably) for the left hand side.  We have a billion central midfielders and just shy of that in the centre of defence.  LVC was a monster though the middle last year, but he's been ineffective on the right this year.  Cairney stated when he joined that he saw himself as a central player, yet he's played on the right as well.  This squad more than any other I can remember screams (to me) 3-5-2/5-3-2...

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=9863

Ream's utility is incredibly useful (it would have been nice to be able to mirror it on the right too) meaning that if we needed to shift to a more attacking formation we could take the left wing back off, move Ream to left back and then we can either lob on another striker or a winger/another midfielder - or both in Pringle and Smith, those two could be deadly in small doses.
Burn has shown himself to be very useful, but I think he/we would work better with both Stearman and Ream playing - they're better on the ball than he will ever be.  Having three central defenders would allow us to keep the ball playing abilities of those two, and gain the aerial strength that Burn provides that they do not.
All of our full backs have shown themselves to be much more adept going forwards than they are defensively, and our lack of actual wingers would be nullified by them providing the vast majority of the width with the two more attacking minded midfielders being able to move into channels and overload that side when need be.
Ross has shown no real desire to stay up top, so we can't have any formation with him in it where he's the sole forward - it just won't work, as much as I wanted us to play a 4-2-3-1 at the start of the season.  I also think Dembele's pace is crucial to any success we may have this year and shifting to one up top would either result in no Dembele, or Ross out wide.
If Matilla proves himself to be a capable, if unspectacular, holding player he could play as a more holding midfielder allowing O'Hara a bit more freedom where he could act as the pivot further up the pitch like Pirlo does/did, as opposed to a deeper "quarterback" (for want of a better phrase) like Xabi Alonso does.  A proper defensive minded midfielder is where I really feel like our transfers failed this summer - no wingers can be worked around (as I'm trying to do), but I really felt we needed the defensive stability that a true holding player would have brought us.
Both Cairney and LVC play better and more naturally with more freedom through the middle - if we can get them there, with Ross dropping deep from time to time, we could dominate the middle of the pitch against practically anyone.
In my eyes, this squad has a lot of potential, just not in the formation that it's currently being used in as it isn't playing our best players in their best positions and as a result we aren't getting the best out of them.

That begs the next question, if/when (delete where applicable) Kit is relieved of his duties, which available or temptable manager could get this sort of team to work to its potential?  That I do not know...

love4ffc

Well worth the read.  This is a brilliant post and I agree with 90/95% of everything you say.  Especially on your take for almost all of the players and the change in formation. 

For me this January we need to find a new striker.  I would not have said that at the beginning of the season and I know lots of folks are going to disagree with me on this.  Dembele' as you say is only one paced.  He also tries to hard in the box by getting too fancy.  He is always trying to to get an extra touch or little flick that just doesn't work.  I would rather he just shot the bloody ball.  Dembele' is not going to be our second big goal scorer this season.  Just don't see it and on top of that I don't see him linking up with Ross as much as one would hope for.  Most will disagree with this, including you GTM, but Smith links up way more with Ross creating chances. 

I can't help but wonder if we went with more of a midfield, 3-5-2/5-3-2, I would like to see more probing passes out of such midfield.  If you look at the really good teams they are constantly probing the defense and are always looking for a way through.  I don't see us doing this.  I also want to see more shots taken.  I feel we try to get too fancy around the box taking extra touches and little flicks.  I want more players gaining their confidence and take the chance when they around the box to shot and test the keeper. 

Sadly I don't see anything changing anytime soon. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

GrahamG

Good analysis and worth the read. We obviously have some good players but, sadly, we are not playing as a good team. Maybe you could send this to Kit...

Fulham1959

Quote from: GrahamG on October 22, 2015, 08:45:06 AM
Good analysis and worth the read. We obviously have some good players but, sadly, we are not playing as a good team. Maybe you could send this to Kit...

I sometimes think it would be a good idea for managers to have an occasional open forum with fans . . . if it were possible to conduct this in a civil manner, that is.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: love4ffc on October 22, 2015, 04:19:37 AM
Well worth the read.  This is a brilliant post and I agree with 90/95% of everything you say.  Especially on your take for almost all of the players and the change in formation. 

For me this January we need to find a new striker.  I would not have said that at the beginning of the season and I know lots of folks are going to disagree with me on this.  Dembele' as you say is only one paced.  He also tries to hard in the box by getting too fancy.  He is always trying to to get an extra touch or little flick that just doesn't work.  I would rather he just shot the bloody ball.  Dembele' is not going to be our second big goal scorer this season.  Just don't see it and on top of that I don't see him linking up with Ross as much as one would hope for.  Most will disagree with this, including you GTM, but Smith links up way more with Ross creating chances. 

I can't help but wonder if we went with more of a midfield, 3-5-2/5-3-2, I would like to see more probing passes out of such midfield.  If you look at the really good teams they are constantly probing the defense and are always looking for a way through.  I don't see us doing this.  I also want to see more shots taken.  I feel we try to get too fancy around the box taking extra touches and little flicks.  I want more players gaining their confidence and take the chance when they around the box to shot and test the keeper. 

Sadly I don't see anything changing anytime soon. 

I wanted a new striker in the summer - the links with Gayle were exciting and he was exactly the sort of striker we needed.  I've seen enough in Dembele to be happy with him as the second striker - assuming McCormack plays more like a first choice striker than he has for large parts of this (and the tail end of last) season.  Dembele shouldn't be expected to be our main goal threat, but he should be expected to get between 10-15 goals - that's a damn good return for a (young) second striker in this league - and he's pretty much on target for that.  If we can find someone better than Dembele, who also has pace, then I'd be OK with that.  But, if the rumours of the new contract are true, then I would much prefer Dembele was kept in the squad, inexperience and inconsistency included.  If he won't sign a new deal, then there's not much to be gained from keeping him in the squad if there are "better" (or more experienced) options available.

Skatzoffc

We don't see any probing of the defences as we have no movement up front or on the wings.
No-one runs into space screaming for the ball.  

Dembele has no awareness of where people are on the pitch. If he does look up it is only after he has received the ball. That's too late. He is young but needs to learn this ASAP.

Good post tho.

IMO this squad is good enough to aim for top six. But not with this manager. He is clueless as apply demonstrated again last night.
Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

God The Mechanic

Quote from: God The Mechanic on October 22, 2015, 01:34:42 AM
That begs the next question, if/when (delete where applicable) Kit is relieved of his duties, which available or temptable manager could get this sort of team to work to its potential?  That I do not know...

With MJG's survey including Montella in the top 3 I figured I'd throw my hat semi in his corner with a couple of interesting links.  He favours a 3-5-2, so would fit in that sense, but his ambitions are likely way above us and ours - in spite of his time with us being a potential way to tempt him if we can sell a major project to him.

Anyway, on with the links...

This is a tactical review from around half way into his first season at Fiorentina.
This is another review of his first half season or so in charge.
This is a review of his full reign at the club.

If we were to bring in Montella I think it would be a HUGE statement from Khan - he has proved himself at both Catania and then Fiorentina, helping the former finish 11th in the table (they were relegated the following season after he joined Fiorentina) and getting Forentina into the Europa League and finishing 4th in each of his three years there - after a 13th place finish the year before he joined.  He wouldn't come cheap if he were to come at all, and he wouldn't be guaranteed to succeed (as with anyone).  But it would be a hell of an appointment in my eyes if it were to happen.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Skatzoffc on October 22, 2015, 03:04:10 PM
We don't see any probing of the defences as we have no movement up front or on the wings.
No-one runs into space screaming for the ball. 

Dembele has no awareness of where people are on the pitch. If he does look up it is only after he has received the ball. That's too late. He is young but needs to learn this ASAP.

Good post tho.

IMO this squad is good enough to aim for top six. But not with this manager. He is clueless as apply demonstrated again last night.
Coyw!

I agree with the lack of movement, some of that could be down to the players not being in their natural positions or being isolated and therefore losing confidence.  Ross drops too deep too often, leaving Dembele too isolated - he'll likely learn how to play as a lone front man in time but he doesn't need to be a lone front man.  Giving both Cairney and LVC the freedom to roam in central positions should mean that when Ross does drop deep there's a runner from midfield giving a short pass or lay off option - creating either an overload or room behind the defence for someone to sprint into.

love4ffc

Not sure Kit would digest all of this well.  Perhaps instead you could send it to Curbs who could translate it. 

love4ffc

I agree about Dembele'.  He's young and inexperienced but if he is to stay I would also agree he needs to be more aware of those around him.  He so desperately wants to be that fancy little man in the box but it's not working. 

Logicalman

Quote from: GrahamG on October 22, 2015, 08:45:06 AM

Unfortunately, if he doesn't realize it yet, then I don't think pointing it out to him will help as he has to be oblivious.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Keefy

The current squad is strong enough to challenge for the playoffs if not the automatic places. However, without leadership both on and off the pitch we will win nothing despite the undoubted talent available. Kit is out of his depth and, in my opinion neither Ross nor Scott are leaders/captains on the pitch. The team last night looked like rabbits caught in the headlights without any direction. The QPR game showed what we are capable of and with a Murphy like figure backed by a strong and decisive manager we would start to take our rightful place in this division.

bobbo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 22, 2015, 07:40:48 AM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on October 22, 2015, 01:34:42 AM
This is gonna be a long post, sorry.  And it's all just opinion, sorrynotsorry.

So, we're just over a quarter of the way through the season.  We've had 12 league games, seven games since the transfer window closed, and we have as settled a squad as we're gonna have until January.  So where do we stand?

Lonergan - arguably #1 at the start of the season, since Bettinelli's injury he's undisputed #1.  Fantastic shot stopper, can be iffy in the air with crosses and his kicking can be wayward but has saved significantly more points than he has (or will likely) cost us.  One of our best bits of business without a doubt.
Bettinelli - similar strengths and weaknesses as Lonergan, just without the experience.  When he's back from injury both of them will benefit from the competition.
Lewis - emergency loan since Bettinelli got injured and not much more could have been asked of him - he's not played many games but in the three he has he's acquitted himself very well.  Game saving saves at times - fantastic third/second choice keeper for this level from what we've seen so far.

Richards - defensively suspect, apart from when he's with the Welsh national team.  Better going forwards than he is defensively most of the time.  Very mid-paced.  Definitely decent at this level, but liable to do something stupid for no reason whatsoever.
Fredericks - as fast as a very fast thing, really our only legitimately pacey player.  Not seen him tested enough defensively, but his pace has and will get both him and his teammates out of trouble more than once this season.  Offensively a very useful player as he can burn past players as we saw against QPR.
Voser - jack of a bunch of trades, master of none.  Mid-paced like Richards but so far this season he's proved himself to be a useful utility player - much moreso than last year.
Grimmer - young and inexperienced, not seen enough of him and no idea how he'll recover from his injury.  Could be an interesting experiment as the right sided member of a defensive 3.  More on that later...

Stearman - has looked pretty decent so far, calming and better with the ball at his feet than almost any of our defenders since Hughes.  Needs to be more commanding in the air, but I've been impressed with him by and large.
Burn - very good in the air, very heart attack inducing on the ground.  Zero pace, giant turning circle but will/should dominate most balls in the air.  Very useful player to have, but not suited to all opponents and may benefit from playing as part of a three man defence.
Hutchinson - Burn-lite.  Not as good in the air, not as bad on the ground and a tad faster.
Ream - I've been impressed by his assuredness so far.  Him and Stearman look like a work in progress, but a promising one.  Will be key to any attempts to build form the back, which will hopefully result in fewer aimless, panicked balls launched up front.
Bodurov - eh, the less said about him the better.  Looked as decent as anyone else at the start of last season, but that eventually proved to be no real endorsement.
Burgess - from what I've seen he isn't ready and needs to be loaned out, not really worth considering in terms of the first team.

Garbutt - pacey, good delivery, inexperienced and iffy defensively.  But erratic.  The only constant seems to be inexperienced defensively.
Husband - similar to Garbutt really.  Neither of them convince defensively, but can definitely offer a good deal going forwards.
Kavanagh - really don't rate him.  He's been moved about a lot, but he's lightweight, poor on the ball and not great defensively as well as liable to get a bit rash.

Parker - who knows!  He could come back strong, but for me he was poor last season and a year older and an injury worse off we could be finally seeing the end of him as a first team player.  His experience will be invaluable, but I hope he's seen as nothing more than a squad player for killing the game in the last 10/15 mins or so.
Cairney - scored some good and important goals at the start of the season, petered out a little recently and then there was the ludicrous challenge that has seen him sit out the last few games.  I rate him, he's creative and will pop up with a goal every now and again.  He's been similar to LVC last year, minus the dynamism that the latter brings.
Mattila - not seen enough of him, though he did impress in a Finland Euros qualifier I saw a week or so ago.  Good range of passing with decent stature.
Tunnicliffe - wanted rid in the summer but he's been one of the more impressive and hardworking players so far this season.  His limitations though are obvious - he's a very good athlete, but a pretty average footballer.  Doesn't have the tactical nous to sit back and cover, nor the technique to regularly threaten in front of goal.  Bit of a blunt instrument, but a useful one to have.
O'Hara - signing of the season so far, he's the dictator that we've longed for since Murphy left.  My only problem with him is that he doesn't have the legs to maraud forwards, nor does he have the defensive sensibilities to sit in front of the defence.  But he has to play, simple as that.
LVC - been very unimpressed with him this year - it could be a positional thing, it could be a mental thing since his injury.  Either way, he had something about him last year that desperately, for both him and us, needs to be rediscovered.  We need his dynamism, his goals and honestly (almost more than anything else) the hope that he brought with his rise last year.
Hyndman - a battle lost unfortunately, I wanted him and LVC to be rotated throughout this season but it appears as though that's just not gonna happen.  Will be surprised if he hits double figures barring a midfield cataclysm.

Pringle - a bit of an enigma, can provide sensational crosses but can also be awful.  Doesn't have the stamina for a full game, but could perform well if we need a goal and lump Smith up top.
Kacaniklic - if a young player has regressed as much as he has in the last few seasons I'll be very surprised.  He's just... frustrating.  He could be an excellent player at this level, but he either has no confidence in his own ability or has lost the ability that he clearly had a few years ago.   Arguably our only senior wide midfielder, so we kinda need him!
Williams - will be interesting to see how he recovers from his injury, but is one of few players in the senior squad who can and will happily play out wide.  Will be interesting to see how he comes along in the rest of 2015, could be a useful player to have in the second half of the season.

Smith - absolute marmite.  I understand why people want him in the team, but I disagree with those calls.  Very useful squad player, but I want better football than his attributes are suited to.  Yes, he isn't JUST a big lump to hit but that's how the team plays when he's on the pitch.  I want more guile and creativity, and we have better players who are more suited to that style of play than Smith is.  If we're chasing the game he's undoubtedly useful, or if we're defending corner after corner trying to hold on, but for be he is a definite Plan B.
Woodrow - he's scored some good and important goals for us, and he has the stature to be a good link/hold up player - but he's too similar (for me) to McCormack, and the latter won't get dropped no matter how poor he plays.  Would like to see him and Dembele play a few games together, ideally in the cup - or if we're a good few goals up and comfortable in place of Ross.
Dembele - he brings pace to an attack, and largely a team, that is so horrendously one paced.  Without him we have no one who is going to run beyond the defence and stretch it, Ross drops too deep, Cairney, Pringle and O'Hara don't have the pace or engine to do it - LVC is the only player who provides thrust from the midfield, so me need Dembele to stretch the defence to create space for the likes of Ross and Cairney.
McCormack - when he plays well he's great and we play well, when he doesn't he's god awful and we're god awful.  If he wants to he looks like a (Championship) world beater, but he's not looked like he wants to too often this season.  Very Rooney-like at times - if he doesn't score he's contributing nothing and more likely to be found in the centre circle than up top.  Which sucks, cos he's our main forward.

This is how I see our squad right now.  So what do I WANT from this squad?  Well... a whole lot more than it's provided so far.

I made a post a while back, maybe a month or two ago, about a change in formation and nothing I have seen since then has made me think about changing my mind.  As the squad is now, we have an absolute abundance of central players.  We have probably only Fredericks who can naturally play as a right winger and Kaca and Williams (Pringle debatably) for the left hand side.  We have a billion central midfielders and just shy of that in the centre of defence.  LVC was a monster though the middle last year, but he's been ineffective on the right this year.  Cairney stated when he joined that he saw himself as a central player, yet he's played on the right as well.  This squad more than any other I can remember screams (to me) 3-5-2/5-3-2...

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=9863

Ream's utility is incredibly useful (it would have been nice to be able to mirror it on the right too) meaning that if we needed to shift to a more attacking formation we could take the left wing back off, move Ream to left back and then we can either lob on another striker or a winger/another midfielder - or both in Pringle and Smith, those two could be deadly in small doses.
Burn has shown himself to be very useful, but I think he/we would work better with both Stearman and Ream playing - they're better on the ball than he will ever be.  Having three central defenders would allow us to keep the ball playing abilities of those two, and gain the aerial strength that Burn provides that they do not.
All of our full backs have shown themselves to be much more adept going forwards than they are defensively, and our lack of actual wingers would be nullified by them providing the vast majority of the width with the two more attacking minded midfielders being able to move into channels and overload that side when need be.
Ross has shown no real desire to stay up top, so we can't have any formation with him in it where he's the sole forward - it just won't work, as much as I wanted us to play a 4-2-3-1 at the start of the season.  I also think Dembele's pace is crucial to any success we may have this year and shifting to one up top would either result in no Dembele, or Ross out wide.
If Matilla proves himself to be a capable, if unspectacular, holding player he could play as a more holding midfielder allowing O'Hara a bit more freedom where he could act as the pivot further up the pitch like Pirlo does/did, as opposed to a deeper "quarterback" (for want of a better phrase) like Xabi Alonso does.  A proper defensive minded midfielder is where I really feel like our transfers failed this summer - no wingers can be worked around (as I'm trying to do), but I really felt we needed the defensive stability that a true holding player would have brought us.
Both Cairney and LVC play better and more naturally with more freedom through the middle - if we can get them there, with Ross dropping deep from time to time, we could dominate the middle of the pitch against practically anyone.
In my eyes, this squad has a lot of potential, just not in the formation that it's currently being used in as it isn't playing our best players in their best positions and as a result we aren't getting the best out of them.

I enjoyed reading your post, I am glad you chose the shortened version on this occasion. But it still took long enough for me to have a shave before I read it, and then I had to shave again directly after I read it.
,Sharp as yer razor woolly, I found war and peace an easier and shorter read. On serious note GTM. You have your opinion very much as mine and most others I'm sure. No real heavy critism of any individual player which points to the leader I'm afraid
1975 just leaving home full of hope