watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

my girls high school team.

Started by jarv, October 28, 2015, 06:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Winter nearly here in Massachusetts so my girls school team had their last game this week.

The seasons record is p16,  w10,  d3,  l3.  gf 41,  ga 7       yes 7 goals against in 16  games. Not bad. I should be Fulham's next defensive coach.

The girls played ok in most but the irony of all this is their best game was a 2-0 loss.... in the pouring rain. It was the only game we conceded more than 1 goal. The other 2 losses were 1-0, one of which we did not deserve to lose.

I am looking forward to next season already.  049:gif

love4ffc

That's a great record so well done to you and the girls.  Forget FFC wish you were on our school's coaching staff. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Neil D

I get the impression that 'soccer' has a high profile with middle class US parents and is it so popular with girls because of the lack of team-based alternatives?  What do you think??

love4ffc

I would say 'soccer' is by far the fastest growing girl's sport in the USA.  I going to guess though that Softball (fast pitch), basketball and volleyball are still bigger than 'soccer'.  Another sport that is growing extremely fast in the states for both boys and girls is lacrosse.  Especially on the East Coast.  Field hockey is another large growing girl's sport on the East Coast.  I have even meet a couple of ex-pats that are coaching girls teams. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

jarv

Yes, soccer is very much a middle class sport here in USA. It is not cheap. Pitches are expensive to install and maintain, which contributes greatly to the cost. (My school got a bid to put astroturf in....just over a million dollars.  Private clubs is the best game around but most claim they all offer "expert" coaching but few do. It is a money making scheme. Referees are expensive etc etc.

Inner cities are a problem, lack of decent facilities and pitches,. Basketball can be played in a driveway, not much room needed.

However, the sport is growing, a huge percentage of girls play and some are really good. Girls are great to coach, no bad attitudes, they all listen, none think they are better than they are. (unlike boys) All I have to remember is they are still young girls and football is not the most important thing in their lives. I take the job seriously but always remember they want to have fun (and win a few as well). The most fun is team practice, I get to join in. I have to rely on one touch football because I am soooo slow now.