watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (01/08/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 01, 2010, 06:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6288624,00.html?
Hangeland happy at Fulham
Fulham defender keen to work under Hughes

Brede Hangeland insists he is happy to stay at Fulham and is looking forward to working with new manager Mark Hughes.

Norway international Hangeland has established himself as one of the most commanding centre-halves in the Premier League since joining Fulham in 2008.

He has been linked with a reunion with former Cottagers boss Roy Hodgson at Liverpool, while Arsenal are reported to hold a long-standing interest in the 29-year-old.

Hangeland is unfazed by the rumours surrounding his future and is keen to help Fulham progress following Hughes' appointment as Hodgson's successor.

Always been happy

"I've always been happy at Fulham and I've always said that," Hangeland told Sky Sports News.

"So that hasn't changed and I look forward to playing there again."

Regarding Hughes' appointment, he added: "Really happy to finally have appointed a manager. Obviously I don't know Mark Hughes, but I've heard a lot of good things about him and I look forward to working with him.

"I think we've got some good players and hopefully he can move us all in the right direction.

"We have always been working as a team and we hope to continue doing that under his guidance."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6288393/Wilson-goal-enough-for-Pompey?
Wilson goal enough for Pompey

Skipper Marc Wilson scored the only goal as Portsmouth beat Fulham at Fratton Park in Linvoy Primus' testimonial on Saturday.

Wilson headed home Matt Ritchie's corner in the 31st minute - his second goal in three days - while long-serving defender Primus played the first 12 minutes in an unfamiliar holding midfield role.

Ibrahima Sonko made his Blues debut having joined on a season-long loan from Stoke and John Utaka played his first game since returning from the World Cup.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6287722/O-Neill-unsure-over-future-of-duo?
O'Neill unsure over future of duo

Martin O'Neill will give Luke Young and Steve Sidwell the same chance as everyone else if they do not leave Aston Villa this summer.

Young turned down a move Liverpool earlier this week, while Sidwell had been interesting Fulham prior to Mark Hughes' appointment.

O'Neill is unsure whether either will still be in his squad come the end of August, but he will have no complaints if they are.

On Young's situation, he told the club's official website: "I don't actually know exactly, but I think the news is that the move has not materialised. I'm not sure what the reasons are.

"I've been asked, 'how does that affect people?', but if it doesn't materialise, that's everybody in with a fighting chance again so from that viewpoint it's not the death knell on anybody.

"Of course, he will play in at least one of the games here (at a pre-season training camp in Portugal) and it's the same with Steve as well - and anybody else.

"I can't start thinking that some players are going to leave the football club and make assumptions on that, so everybody here will get a proper chance to go and be as fit as they can so that when the season opens up, they've had some sort of opportunity to do that."

On Sidwell, O'Neill added: "Again, I don't really know. I think the manager that was down to go there (Fulham), Martin Jol, obviously stayed. So I think that situation is certainly very much still in the balance.

"With a new manager coming in (Mark Hughes), it might be a different thought. I don't know if that will make things happen more quickly or not.

"Steve played against Walsall the other day. I think he's pleased to get some football in, which is very important and, at this minute, I wouldn't question anybody's attitude, particularly in terms of the training they've been doing.

"It's not as if anybody's decided I'm not going to be part of this, therefore I'm not going to train as hard."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299238/Brede-Hangeland-happy-stay-Fulham-work-Mark-Hughes.html?
Brede Hangeland happy to stay at Fulham and work with new boss Mark Hughes

Fulham central defender Brede Hangeland is looking forward to working with new manager Mark Hughes.   

Hughes will be unveiled at Craven Cottage on Tuesday and the 29-year-old Norwegian is pleased the club have found a replacement for Roy Hodgson, who left for Liverpool earlier in the summer.   

Hangeland said: 'He knows what we can do and we're looking forward to working with him from Monday. 

'We're really happy to have a manager. I think we've got some good players and hopefully he can move us along in the right direction. 

'We've always been a team and hopefully we can still be under his guidance.'

Hangeland has been linked with other clubs but insists he is not looking at a future away from Fulham, adding on Sky Sports News: 'I've always been happy here and I've always said that.' 

Hughes watched today's 1-0 pre-season friendly setback at Portsmouth from the stands and Hangeland admitted: 'I think he is probably not too impressed. 

'We would like to have won but it matters more in a couple of weeks. Fitness is the most important thing -  and preparing for when the Premier League starts.'

The Cottagers begin their campaign with a match at Bolton on August 14.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299238/Brede-Hangeland-happy-stay-Fulham-work-Mark-Hughes.html?#ixzz0vKZ3Zb8B

WhiteJC

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/hangeland-keen-to-work-with-hughes-45560/?
Hangeland keen to work with Hughes

Fulham central defender Brede Hangeland is looking forward to working with new manager Mark Hughes.

Hughes will be unveiled at Craven Cottage on Tuesday and the 29-year-old Norwegian is pleased the club have found a replacement for Roy Hodgson, who left for Liverpool earlier in the summer.

Hangeland said: "He knows what we can do and we're looking forward to working with him from Monday.

"We're really happy to have a manager. I think we've got some good players and hopefully he can move us along in the right direction.

"We've always been a team and hopefully we can still be under his guidance."

Hangeland has been linked with other clubs but insists he is not looking at a future away from Fulham, adding on Sky Sports News: "I've always been happy here and I've always said that."

Hughes watched Saturday's 1-0 pre-season friendly setback at Portsmouth from the stands and Hangeland admitted: "I think he is probably not too impressed.

"We would like to have won but it matters more in a couple of weeks. Fitness is the most important thing - and preparing for when the Premier League starts."

The Cottagers begin their campaign with a match at Bolton on August 14.

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/31/portsmouth-fulham-linvoy-primus?
Portsmouth beat Fulham to get boost ahead of a season of survival
Victory in Linvoy Primus's testimonial gives fans reason to cheer, but dropping further down the leagues is a possibility

Linvoy Primus deserved a testimonial in a better atmosphere than the one surrounding Portsmouth, and deserved a better crowd than the 6,605 who came for the visit of Fulham yesterday to bid farewell to the defender after a decade's service, but it all showed up the club's continuing plight.

A year on from their finances being exposed as watertight as a Ponzi scheme, Portsmouth are no closer to salvation and now find themselves one division lower. The Championship starts on Saturday and there is the real danger they could begin the campaign on minus points. The club must defend themselves over unpaid taxes in court on Tuesday. "Next week is a big week in more ways than one," said Steve Cotterill, the manager, after the 1-0 win over Fulham, which was secured through Marc Wilson's 37th minute goal . "But I'm not petrified about Tuesday. If you'd been in my shoes in the last six weeks nothing would scare you. This has been a shell-shocked team."

HM Revenue and Customs is claiming £18.2m in "unpaid taxes of the image rights of certain players". In the meantime, the administrator is withdrawing free car-parking next to the stadium for visitors. He wanted to impose charges yesterday, but has agreed to hold off for at least another week.

If Portsmouth, who start the season at Coventry City, come out of administration, they will enter a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) with creditors hoping to receive close to 20 pence in the pound over five years. If they get the CVA, they can start to bring in players, at least on loan.

Brendon Bone, of the Portsmouth Supporters' Trust says that "this season is all about survival", a view shared by most at the club. But dropping further down the league ladder, like Leeds, is a possibility given the current circumstances.

Even if they avoid a points deduction, their prospects on the pitch are horrendous because the playing staff has been decimated over the summer. Cotterill – "he's put his reputation on the line coming here," says Bone – is Avram Grant's replacement and the person trying to make order out of chaos with a playing staff of 18, the latest addition to which is Ibrahima Sonko, the Stoke central defender signed on loan, who played yesterday.

The club do not even have a full-time goalkeeper, but Jamie Ashdown – who was released by the club – is on trial and has been made an offer. Wilson, a recent and successful academy graduate who played over 30 matches for Portsmouth last season, also provides some optimism for the future.

The club has a transfer embargo at the moment, but it is not in force because they have fewer than 20 players – the club's website lists just 15 – which is considered to be a 'fair-sized' squad by the authorities. They have permission to get up to that number to try to be competitive in the Championship. If they get the CVA – and people within the club believe they will – their transfer embargo would be lifted and they can keep recruiting.

However, that is not going to herald a return to the pile-'em-high, Harry Redknapp era. Portsmouth's transfer activity will be watched carefully for at least a couple of years. Indeed, Cotterill was so encouraged by the display against Fulham that he claimed afterwards that he did not want to add to his team.

But changes will have to be made to please the creditors, even if veteran striker Kanu, unlikely as it sounds, is negotiating a new deal. Cotterill was remaining silent over the issue yesterday.

They are desperate to sell John Utaka, who is on £28,000 a week. Kevin-Prince Boateng could fetch £5m, and both played here. One who did not, however, Tal Ben Haim, is the highest earner on £38,000 a week, but is set to follow Grant to West Ham.

On the bench against Fulham – watched from the directors' box by their newly appointed manager, Mark Hughes – were four academy players and a substitute goalkeeper in Liam O'Brien, who has never played a first-team game. In this regard, at least Pompey will keep the wages down if not their chances of staying up.

Portsmouth are not expected to trouble the top six this season, instead bookmakers have reported a torrent of bets on Middlesbrough to win the Championship, just ahead of Nottingham Forest. Burnley, who were also relegated from the Premier League, are third.

Hull, the last of the three to drop down, sit, perhaps surprisingly, in mid-table in the bookies' lists, just below Leeds United and Norwich City, who were promoted last season from League One. Millwall, who won the League One play-off, will have a struggle to stay up, according to the bookmakers. In more trouble are Watford and Scunthorpe, both of whom are ranked as joint favourites for the drop.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299250/Portsmouth-1-Fulham-0-Mark-Hughes-told-sign-Craig-Bellamy.html?
Portsmouth 1 Fulham 0: Mark Hughes told he must sign Craig Bellamy

Mark Hughes has been urged to do all he can to buy Craig Bellamy after watching his new Fulham team slump to a toothless 1-0 defeat in a warm-up at Portsmouth.

Hughes, appointed on Thursday in succession to Roy Hodgson, took his seat in the directors' box at Fratton Park, but saw little to whet his appetite as the Championship side won with a close-range first-half effort from skipper Marc Wilson.

Fulham fielded 10 of those who started the Europa League final in Hamburg in May, but Hughes's new charges rarely got up a head of steam, Bobby Zamora missing three chances.

And afterwards midfielder Simon Davies said: 'Craig has been one of the best players in the Premier League for the last few years. If we could get him he would be a fantastic addition to the team.

'The manager will be trying as hard as he can to bring in players like that.' Hughes stayed for the 90 minutes but refused to speak to the media and left quickly.

Davies played under Hughes when he guided Wales to the brink of qualification for Euro 2004 and admits Hughes will find it tough to emulate Hodgson's achievements.

He said: 'Coming on the back of two of the most successful seasons the club has ever had will be a difficult job. But Mark is very ambitious and I'm sure he will be up for the challenge.'

Hughes, who agreed a two-year deal, will be formally unveiled on Tuesday before taking charge of his new team against Werder Bremen on August 7.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299250/Portsmouth-1-Fulham-0-Mark-Hughes-told-sign-Craig-Bellamy.html?#ixzz0vKaQLr6l

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/DaviesNewChapter.aspx?
A New Chapter

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies believes the Club is heading into another exciting chapter under new Manager Mark Hughes.

In the stands at Fratton Park on Saturday afternoon, Hughes watched on as the Whites suffered their first pre-season defeat, going down 1-0 against Portsmouth in Linvoy Primus' testimonial.

But Davies, who worked with Hughes when he was Wales boss from 1999 to 2004, insists there were still positives to be taken.

"Okay the result wasn't what we would have liked, but I think the team spirit and character that this team has was clear," he told fulhamfc.com. "There were times where we played some very good football and moved the ball around well.

"We had a few chances of our own, but you never want to concede from a corner like we did. We were obviously aware that the new manager was in the stands and of course, we would have liked to have won the game. But I'm sure there was a lot that he saw that he liked.

"He'll have his own ideas and we'll start working with him from Monday – which I'm very much looking forward to, as are the rest of the boys."

Under Hughes, Davies was part of the Wales squad that almost qualified for the European Championships in 2004, losing to Russia in the play-offs.

"He's a good manager, we all know that," he added. "He has an excellent record and plenty of international and Premier League experience. I know him from when he was charge of the Wales team and he has a lot of qualities.

"He's very professional and knows an awful lot about the game. He's one of those managers that get the best out of his players.

"Some of the boys have asked me what he is like, and what I have said is that he is a top man and a great manager. Let's also not forget that as a player he was also a bit of a legend. He'll have the respect of the lads straight away.

"Naturally, people will want to make comparisons, and regardless, it would always be difficult to replicate what we achieved last season – it was the most successful year in the Club's history.

"But Mark is very ambitious and he'll definitely be looking forward to the challenge."

With the 2010-11 Premier League season starting in just two weeks, Davies anticipates an intense fortnight ahead.

He said: "We'll have an intense two weeks in front of us, but we'll be prepared. Ray Lewington has been working us hard and as an experienced group of players we know what was needed and expected of us.

"This will be a new season and a new start - it's another chapter for the Club. With places up for grabs and new additions coming in it certainly promises to be an exciting period."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/July/DaviesNewChapter.aspx?#ixzz0vKamxIlz

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/190420/Mark-Hughes-wants-Craig-Bellamy-at-Fulham?
MARK HUGHES WANTS CRAIG BELLAMY AT FULHAM

MARK HUGHES will step up his attempt to lure Craig Bellamy to Fulham after seeing his new team crash to a toothless defeat at troubled Portsmouth yesterday.

Hughes opted to leave caretaker Ray Lewington in charge for the day after being named as Roy Hodgson's successor on Thursday evening.

The Welshman, perched high in the directors' box at Fratton Park, cannot have been impressed by last season's beaten Europa League finalists.

With Bobby Zamora a lone striker, Fulham lacked any cutting edge and were largely outplayed by a Portsmouth outfit in administration and with only 11 senior players signed on for the new season.

Hughes must find a partner for Zamora, with Manchester City star Bellamy top of his list of targets.

The ex-City manager, bidding to sign Bellamy for a third time, is also ready to offer Stephen Ireland the chance to kick-start his career after falling out of favour at Eastlands.

Persuading goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to reject Arsenal's advances will also be high on Hughes' list of priorities.

The Aussie's mind looked to be elsewhere when he inexplicably kicked a first-half clearance against Portsmouth striker Kanu.
Schwarzer was spared the humiliation of conceding from such a basic mistake when John Utaka blazed over from close range after the ball fell kindly into his path.

Zamora was at the heart of most of the visitors' attacking moves and could count himself unlucky not to score after nine minutes when Hayden Mullins cleared his header from Zoltan Gera's cross off the line.

Hughes may also add a defender to his shopping list after Pompey took the lead from a corner 14 minutes before half time. Matt Ritchie's centre found centre-back Marc Wilson unmarked at Schwarzer's near post and Fulham could only stand and watch as the Irishman despatched a free header into the roof of the net.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/hangeland-welcomes-hughes-arrival-fulham-1013091?
Hangeland welcomes Hughes arrival at Fulham

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland has welcomed the appointment of new manager Mark Hughes.

Hangeland said: "He knows what we can do and we're looking forward to working with him from Monday.

"We're really happy to have a manager. I think we've got some good players and hopefully he can move us along in the right direction.

"We've always been a team and hopefully we can still be under his guidance."

Hughes watched Saturday's 1-0 pre-season friendly setback at Portsmouth from the stands and Hangeland admitted: "I think he is probably not too impressed.

"We would like to have won but it matters more in a couple of weeks. Fitness is the most important thing - and preparing for when the Premier League starts."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/147149/Mark-Hughes-has-plenty-to-do-at-Fulham/?
MARK HUGHES HAS PLENTY TO DO AT FULHAM

SIMON DAVIES has backed new Fulham boss Mark Hughes to bring Craig Bellamy to Craven Cottage.

Sparky has made signing Manchester City's Welsh striker one of his top priorities. And midfielder Davies said: "Craig is a top player and would be a great addition.

"I'm sure he would do well if the manager can pull it off. I'm sure he will try."

Hughes has plenty to do when he takes over this week. Seven of the current squad will be out of contract next  season.

Striker Bobby Zamora, skipper Danny Murphy and left-back Paul Konchesky are among those waiting to thrash out deals – but the future of keeper Mark Schwarzer is in doubt.

Although Fulham lost 1-0 at Portsmouth in a pre-season friendly, Davies is in no doubt Roy Hodgson's successful  reign can be emulated by the new gaffer, who will take his first training session tomorrow.

Davies said: "We met him today and on Monday he will start training and we will work on his ideas in the coming  week.

"It'll be exciting to work for him. Mark is very ambitious and I'm sure he will be looking forward to the challenge.

"It will be difficult to emulate Roy but I'm sure Mark won't look at it like that. It's a new start for everyone."

Hughes took his seat in the Fratton Park directors' box just before kick-off yesterday. The former Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City boss will be officially unveiled as Hodgson's successor on Tuesday, and will take charge for the first time in the friendly against Werder Bremen at the weekend.

But for yesterday's run-out, a benefit match for long-serving Pompey defender Linvoy Primus, Hughes was content to keep a low profile and remain tight-lipped afterwards.

But he could not have been too pleased at the way Pompey defender Marc Wilson darted into the six-yard box unmarked to thump a powerful header past Schwarzer in the 31st minute, following Matt Ritchie's corner, for the only goal.

Now Hughes must weigh up whether to return to former club Manchester City with bids for Bellamy and Stephen Ireland.

He could also go in for goalkeeper Joe Hart.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Portsmouth-1-0-Fulham-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Marc-Wilson-sinks-Fulham-in-front-of-new-manager-Mark-Hughes-article542871.html
Portsmouth 1-0 Fulham: Sunday Mirror match report

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies is relishing the prospect of working under his former Wales manager Mark Hughes again.

And Davies his hoping Hughes might be able to use his Welsh influence to persuade Craig Bellamy to become his first signing at Craven Cottage.

Hughes took his seat in the Fratton Park directors' box just before yesterday's 1-0 defeat to Portsmouth to run the rule over his new squad, who were facing the south coast club in a testimonial for defender Linvoy Primus.

Davies said: "We met him today and on Monday he will start training and we will work on his ideas in the coming week.

"It will be difficult to emulate Roy [Hodgson] but I'm sure Mark will not look at it like that. It's a new start for everyone. With a few additions I hope it will be exciting times."

Davies added: "Craig Bellamy is a top player and would be a great addition. I'm sure he would do well but it is speculation at the moment so we won't get too excited yet. If the manager can pull it off, I'm sure he will try."

Striker Bobby Zamora missed a couple of good chances to impress Hughes after Marc Wilson's clinical header from Matt Ritchie's corner gave Pompey a winning lead.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Portsmouth-1-0-Fulham-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Marc-Wilson-sinks-Fulham-in-front-of-new-manager-Mark-Hughes-article542871.html#ixzz0vKcR49uO

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/31/2050293/luke-young-set-for-fulham-as-liverpool-set-sights-on-paul
Luke Young set for Fulham as Liverpool set sights on Paul Konchesky - report

Mark Hughes is ready to make his first signing as Fulham manager by bringing Aston Villa full-back Luke Young to Craven Cottage, according to the Metro.

Young, 31, has been told by Villa boss Martin O'Neill that he is not in his plans for next season and to look for another club.

Liverpool looked set to sign the ex-Charlton man earlier this week after having a £2.5 million bid accepted, only for the move to collapse over personal terms, with reports suggesting Young was unwilling to take a pay-cut to join the Merseyside club.

Now it seems that Hughes is ready to take advantage of the collapse and seal a similar priced deal for the former England defender in the next few days.

This could persuade Liverpool to turn their attentions to Fulham's Paul Konchesky, with Roy Hodgson keen to raid his former club to bring the left back to Anfield. According to the Liverpool Echo, it is believed Hodgson will make a bid of around £2.5m for the ex-Charlton and West Ham player.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Carlo-Cudicini-will-replace-Mark-Schwarzer-at-Fulham-while-Craig-Bellamy-will-also-be-reunited-with-Mark-Hughes-article542709.html
Schwarzer OUT but Cudicini and Bellamy IN at Fulham

Carlo Cudicini is in line to move to Fulham if Mark Schwarzer leaves Craven Cottage to join Arsenal.

Tottenham's former Chelsea keeper Cudicini has proved there have been no ill-effects from the horrific motorbike accident he suffered last year that threatened his career.

Heurelho Gomes has established himself as No.1 at Tottenham and manager Harry Redknapp is trying to sign Croatian goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa on loan.

Redknapp also has promising youngster David Button and he could now be ready to release Cudicini on a free transfer.

New Fulham manager Mark Hughes met Schwarzer in a bid to persuade the Aussie international keeper to stay.

But it looks certain that 37-year-old Schwarzer will make it clear to Hughes he wants to move across London to Arsenal in a £2.5million move.

But Hughes is set to beat Spurs to the signing of Craig Bellamy, who had an excellent relationship with him when Hughes was boss of Wales and Manchester City.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Carlo-Cudicini-will-replace-Mark-Schwarzer-at-Fulham-while-Craig-Bellamy-will-also-be-reunited-with-Mark-Hughes-article542709.html#ixzz0vKdCsIK7

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Stephen-Ireland-is-attracting-interest-from-Tottenham-as-he-grow-further-disgruntled-at-Manchester-City-article542653.html
Redknapp admits interest in disgruntled Ireland

Stephen Ireland has hit back at Roberto Mancini - claiming the Manchester City manager has never given him a chance to prove himself.

Mancini has boosted his midfield options significantly since taking charge at Eastlands — and Ireland has attracted interest from Tottenham, Sunderland and Fulham.

There were rumours of a row during the club's pre-season trip to the USA, although Mancini claims he is keeping an open mind about Ireland's future.

The 23-year-old, who was named City's player of the year the season before last after scoring 13 goals from midfield, has not been picked by the Italian since the last-gasp defeat by Manchester United in April – when he failed to track a run from Paul Scholes, who scored with a header.

He said: "I came off playing 67 games to playing just 16, including substitute appearances, last season.

"So I can't really live up to what I did before if I am not getting the opportunities.

"I don't think any player would be happy being a back-up player and I wouldn't either.

"The first two months of the coming season I could be sitting on the bench. God knows I could be in the stands.

"If I haven't played much by Christmas then, like any player, I would want to know what is happening. If things don't happen then we will have to look at it again."

Mancini has denied being at odds with Ireland — but he has still to be convinced the player can hold a place in a team swelled by the arrivals of top midfielders like Yaya Toure and David Silva — with James Milner maybe still to come.

"I have never once said I wanted to leave or kicked up a fuss," said Ireland.

"The way it stands at the moment I am working my socks off in training and trying to prove to the gaffer that I am good enough to stay.

"I am very ambitious but things are out of my hands. I have a contract so all I can do is keep performing, presenting myself well in training and if I must move on, so be it."

Harry Redknapp has declared he'd be interested in the star — at the right price.

The Spurs boss said: "I like him, but he is expensive.

"Maybe he'll be £11m or 12. We wouldn't be in a position to spend that much on him if that's what they're wanting."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Stephen-Ireland-is-attracting-interest-from-Tottenham-as-he-grow-further-disgruntled-at-Manchester-City-article542653.html#ixzz0vKe6kQzY

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Burton-manager-Paul-Peschisolido-reveals-that-League-Two-is-the-place-where-you-learn-your-trade-as-a-manager-article542999.html
Peschisolido can't wait to cut his teeth at Burton

The money, glamour and glitz of the Premier might seem light years away – but League Two has become the place to go to learn how to make the journey.

It's where both players and managers who've been overlooked by the big boys get the valuable experience that might earn them a second chance in the spotlight.

And, according to Burton boss Paul Peschisolido, that's what will make the Football League's basement division so competitive.

He said: "At this level you have your hands in every single pie of the club. You are learning by doing everything because you don't have a massive staff to go out and do things for you.

"You're your own chief scout, match analyst, sports psycho logist and often fitness trainer and first-team coach too.

"For the young players you work with, you have to be their mother, father, friend and the one who gives them a kick up the backside too.

"Just so many things that it's a real learning experience and a great apprenticeship.

"That was certainly what appealed to me about the job and who does it best is one of the things that makes a difference at this level.

"Last season it was pretty obvious that Notts County, with their budgets and resources, were a class or two above everybody else and certain to go up.

"This time? Well, you'd be able to make a case for virtually every club and that's what makes it so good.

"The ones who have come down like Wycombe or Gillingham have an advantage because they possibly have slightly more resources.

"And then there are the likes of Northampton and Shrewsbury who are growing stronger every year – and in the case of the Shrews have taken on a very experienced manager in Graham Turner who has won promotions and will know what he's doing.

"But beyond that everybody will be organised and will work hard and then whoever finds the little spark will emerge from the pack."

But it's not only managers who benefit from the basement division's work ethic. Young players can find a way back to the top too.

Peschisolido said: "The Premier is all about results and money, and bringing in players who are the finished article.

"Because of that they tend to let one or two young lads go that have not been given a proper opportunity and teams like ourselves take a gamble on some of them.

"Sometimes they can develop as stars because the best of them are so hungry to get back to where they were.That's the thought process. They've a point to prove, they are a bit bitter perhaps at the thought their club has not given them any opportunities, and they want to prove everybody wrong.

"But as well as hunger and desire they have also had a very good schooling because they've been at one of the top academies."

Peschisolido is tipping Rotherham's Adam Le Fondre, who got 25 goals last season, to confirm his potential with another big campaign.

He said: "He's a great example of a young player who has had time to emerge at this level that he wouldn't have been given at a bigger club.

"There's more of them and that's what will make it such a fascinating season."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Burton-manager-Paul-Peschisolido-reveals-that-League-Two-is-the-place-where-you-learn-your-trade-as-a-manager-article542999.html#ixzz0vKeVS5wb

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/08/fulham-can-sparky-fill-hodgsons-boots.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29
Fulham: Can Sparky fill Hodgson's boots?

There are some real tough jobs in this world – being the hair stylist to those annoying X Factor brats Jedward is one of them – but replacing Roy Hodgson in the dugout at Fulham is undoubtedly right up there.

The former Switzerland international coach took Fulham from the brink of relegation to a European final inside two-and-a-half years. That is some transformation. However, his sensational exploits at the Cottage grabbed the attention of Liverpool officials and Hodgson just couldn't resist the opportunity of managing the Merseyside giants. But while Hodgson faces a huge task at Anfield, the new Fulham boss Mark Hughes, who will be officially unveiled to the Press on Tuesday, faces equally an ever bigger challenge at the Cottage.

Fulham fans fully enjoyed their foray into Europe last season and are eager for those big European nights to return to West London. Their expectations have soared after seeing what Hodgson could do with an organised pack, one that was full of experience but which lacked any real star names. From just staying in the Premier League, their objective is now to be competing with the likes of Everton and Aston Villa for a Europa League spot. But is Mark Hughes the man to fulfil their dreams?

Hughes was a fantastic player in his day. He won every domestic honour in the English game, but it was quite a surprise to see the quiet man of football turn to management after he hung up his boots. He scared the life out of defenders on the pitch with his snarling attitude but shied away from the media once the game was over. However, Hughes has proved to be just as determined on the sidelines as he was on the pitch and is desperate to win some silverware as a manager to add to the glittering haul he won as a player.

After five reasonable years as manager of Wales, he landed his first domestic job at Blackburn Rovers and, like Hodgson at Fulham, Hughes's first aim was to keep them from going down. Rovers were in a perilous position when Sparky took over but within weeks he had them organised defensively. They had cut out losing sloppy goals and became a real tough side to break down. This formula proved successful as Blackburn moved away from the drop zone and progressed to the semi-final of the FA Cup. Unfortunately some critics slated their rough approach.

The following season Blackburn really upped their game with some shrewd signings and ended the campaign in the UEFA Cup places. His stock in the game was rising considerably and people were touting him as a possible successor to his former mentor at Old Trafford Sir Alex Ferguson. He led Rovers to three FA Cup semi-final appearances, took them into the last 32 of the UEFA Cup and finished in the top half in his three full seasons at the club.

Hughes then made the controversial decision to manage his former fierce rivals Manchester City where he faced an altogether different challenge. He was charged with making City a real force again. He was appointed by Thaksin Shinawatra but a few months later the club was taken over by the filthy rich Abu Dhabi Group. He had money to spend under Shinawatra, but that was chicken feed compared to what this lot could offer him. Hughes could buy almost any player in the world. Money just wasn't an object. The pressure was now on to bring silverware back to City.

In his first season at Eastlands the Citizens finished 10th and reached the quarter-final of the UEFA Cup. But in the summer it became clear that their main goal was to break into the top four and he was given licence to spend the cash where necessary. He started the 2009/10 season on fire, Shay Given was keeping clean sheets, Adebayor was a regular scorer and City were starting to get noticed. However, rumours that Hughes was going to be axed grow stronger as we headed into December and, despite only losing two league games, Hughes was replaced by Roberto Mancini following a dreadful run of draws.

Hughes left Eastlands with a lot of sympathy from the football world and bided his time for another crack at a top club. Liverpool, West Ham United and Celtic were a few of the names linked with Hughes but when Martin Jol pulled out of the running to replace Hodgson, Hughes jumped straight to the top of the pile.

His appointment though has been met with quite a mixed response from the Fulham fans so far. The fear of what style of football they will produce under Hughes tends to be the most common complaint, but Hughes is smart enough to work with what he has at his disposal already. He will have watched Fulham playing neat football on their European adventure last season and will be looking to add to that quality, not detract from it.

Hughes is a born-winner and would do whatever it took to win a game. He has vast experience of the Premier League and has a trusted group of staff behind him. Hughes also has a great eye for talent – he doesn't need millions to spot a player – and is a big enough name to convince players to join him at the Cottage.

Personally I think while Hughes will be unlikely to replicate the success Hodgson had at the club he will be able to have Fulham competing in the top half of the table and I wouldn't rule out a return to Europe either. But what do you the Fulham fans think of the appointment?

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-boss-hughes-attempting-convince-schwarzer-reject-arsenal-1014001?
Fulham boss Hughes attempting to convince Schwarzer to reject Arsenal

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is set for more talks with want-away No1 Mark Schwarzer.

The Sunday Mirror says Hughes met Schwarzer in a bid to persuade the Aussie international keeper to stay.

But it looks certain that 37-year-old Schwarzer will make it clear to Hughes he wants to move across London to Arsenal in a £2.5million move.

WhiteJC

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7505104
City would prefer Fulham deal for Bellamy?
With the appointment of Mark Hughes as manager of Fulham, there was always going to be the strong probability that Fulham would join the chase for Craig Bellamy.

Hughes not only bought the player whilst in charge of Blackburn and Manchester City, but also made him captain of Wales, as good an indication of rating a player as there can even be. Last week I was told (rightly or wrongly) that there is a transfer kitty of around £25 million at Fulham, a figure unheard of in the clubs history, but with an owner who no longer has his shop to run, there was always the possibility that he would be able to reward a new man with serious funds.

Should there be serious interest in Bellamy from Hughes and a willingness from the player to rejoin his former manager, it doesn`t take much of a strong argument to assume that City would rather sell to Fulham that Spurs and strengthen a Champions league rival.

I would almost go as far as to suggest that City would rather give the player away than sell to Spurs, and who can honestly blame them? For all the money City have and surely will spend, they know that the clock is ticking with regard to CL qualification and not only will they want to strengthen their own claims, but also if they can dent the ambitions of others, all the better.

I know that fans are divided on the merits of signing Bellamy, but it has to be a case of trusting Harry over who he wants and doesn`t want and if Bellamy is a player he has identified as someone who will improve the squad, that is good enough for me, but with Fulham and others potentially interested, you wouldn`t bet against or blame City for looking to so a deal almost anywhere but Spurs. I guess the same decision would also apply to the likes of Micah Richards or any other City player of they felt they would make us stronger...

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7505104#ixzz0vLQjCYMB