Main Menu

Arsen hits out at new 25 man squad rule

Started by tingtawng, July 31, 2010, 06:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tingtawng

Arsene Wenger hits out over the Premier League's 'disastrous' 25-man squad rule

By Matt Barlow
Last updated at 12:35 AM on 31st July 2010

Arsene Wenger last night became the first high-profile manager to hit out against the new rule limiting Barclays Premier League clubs to a squad list of 25 senior players, claiming it is a 'disastrous decision for football'.

The Arsenal boss criticised the changes, designed to encourage homegrown development, and declared his astonishment that the PFA had sanctioned regulations which are likely to force footballers out of work.
Arsene Wenger

Crazy: Arsene Wenger has blasted the Premier League's new 25-man squad rule

'This is a disastrous decision for football and for the players,' said Wenger. 'I was quite amazed the union accepted it. I'm not a big fan.

'First, it puts many players without clubs. That's the mathematical consequence. Secondly, it puts the clubs in a weak position in the transfer market because when you already have 25 players and you buy another one, you know you now have to get rid of one.

'You have to calculate when you buy a player how much it costs to get rid of one. The big clubs will always have 25 top players and you will not stop that by this kind of decision. When the big clubs employ a player and he has to go to a smaller club there are only two solutions: the smaller club has to pay above their own potential or the big club pays part of his salary. In either case it's not satisfactory.'

Once again, Wenger has been under fire from his own fans for resisting the temptation to spend a lot during this transfer window.

Arsenal have signed defender Laurent Koscielny for £10million from Lorient and Marouane Chamakh on a free transfer from Bordeaux but the manager admits he would like to recruit at least one more experienced centre half.

'We have lost Mikael Silvestre, William Gallas and Sol Campbell and only signed Koscielny until now,' said Wenger. 'Johan Djourou is coming back from injury and so you could say we have signed two, but number-wise we are still short.'
Cesc Fabregas

He's staying put: Cesc Fabregas wore a Barca shirt when he celebrated Spain's World Cup win with Pepe Reina but he is going nowhere, insists Wenger

Wenger would also like to sign a goalkeeper, with Fulham's Mark Schwarzer high on the wish-list, but said: 'Frankly, we are not close to signing anybody, so I can't say this player or that player will be ours next season.

'It's almost the beginning of August and we have the quality of players to fight at the top. Look at our squad and we have international players in every position, two internationals in every position.

'We' re looking outside to strengthen the squad and if we find the right players we will do it. There are always two periods of activity in the transfer window, very early and very late. I always did business very early and I always did it very late. The transfer market overall is very quiet. Clubs are very tight with money. I don't think Manchester City reflect in general the financial state of international football.'

Behind his transfer policy is Wenger's refusal to hinder development of youngsters he rates.

'We have to remind ourselves that we decided to go with a very young team three or four years ago and we have developed this team,' he said. 'Two years ago, we were quite far away but last year, in April, we were two points away from the top. We should be closer again because that development is part of a young team.

'I know that in England when you do not win the championship it's always about buying but what is important is that we improve. We're not a team at the end of a cycle. We are at the start of a cycle. Our future will be decided not only by who we buy or need, but also by how much we improve.'

Wenger will give youngsters Jack Wilshere and Emmanuel Frimpong a chance in this weekend's Emirates Cup tournament also featuring AC Milan, Celtic and Lyon. But he will be without Alex Song, Denilson and Abou Diaby, who are all injured, and Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie, who are yet to return to training after playing in the World Cup final.
how they line up at the emirates

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299051/Arsene-Wenger-hits-Premier-Leagues-disastrous-25-man-rule.html#ixzz0vBcjUtxR
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Jimpav

I think this is a good rule. As Wenger points out it means the bigger clubs will have to think carefully about who they buy.

Man City are going to have a cull and Chelski have already released some of their dead wood and Joe Cole.

This certainly makes a more level playing field- perhaps not affecting us directly but when you consider that the top 6-7 teams are in Europe it will give us a chance to hold our own in the league and cups.

As Wenger also pointed out it will affect the transfer market. The likes of Bellamy, Keane, Ireland etc finding themselves up for sale. They might not get the wages they would like or are acustomed to but this can only be good for the game.

epsomraver

Of course he would be the first to hit out, it affects him most! he rarely plays a British player and has very few in his squad, it is his attitude of playing all foreign players that has led to this in the first place

beijing ben

Quote from: Jimpav on August 01, 2010, 09:34:11 AM
I think this is a good rule. As Wenger points out it means the bigger clubs will have to think carefully about who they buy.

Man City are going to have a cull and Chelski have already released some of their dead wood and Joe Cole.

This certainly makes a more level playing field- perhaps not affecting us directly but when you consider that the top 6-7 teams are in Europe it will give us a chance to hold our own in the league and cups.

As Wenger also pointed out it will affect the transfer market. The likes of Bellamy, Keane, Ireland etc finding themselves up for sale. They might not get the wages they would like or are acustomed to but this can only be good for the game.

I agree. I think it is the start of something good. Hopefully they will increase the amount of players that have to be homegrown. For right now it puts some players in a precarious position, especially those at Man City.

Bellamy is on very high wages but now Man City cannot expect a high transfer fee even though he is obviously a very good player. Clubs will know that he is not needed. The first person who appears to have seen the advantage of this rule is, of course, Mr. Dodgy himself: Harry Redknapp.

Spurs bid 4 million for Bellamy. He cost Man City 14 million less than eighteen months ago. For a small part of last season I think many people would have said he was the best player in the premiership. So 4 million is pretty good for a player like that.

In theory though, Bellamys value is now absolutely nothing because all the clubs know that he is surplus to requirements at Man City. If no one buys him he will do nothing except play cup games. Man City cannot do the usual thing of saying, "Craig Bellamy is very much part of the club and will play a vital role in the future" because we can guess with a good degree of certainty that he will not make the final twenty five.

I'm guessing that Redknapp assumes clubs will eventually offer 4 million so that is why he has gone in so high and that there is a small chance that he will make Man City's final squad (injuries in pre season, start of the season). Bellamy's wages may stay the same but his transfer fee will come right down, therefore potentially saving money for the buying club. It gives us a chance to get some good players right now and it puts the bigger clubs in a slightly difficult position as Wenger has said

beijing ben

Quote from: epsomraver on August 01, 2010, 10:00:30 AM
Of course he would be the first to hit out, it affects him most! he rarely plays a British player and has very few in his squad, it is his attitude of playing all foreign players that has led to this in the first place

Well, as the rule stands now Arsenal are okay. Their emphasis on youth helps because you can have as many players as you like that are under 21. Also, players like Fabregas and Song count as homegrown because they spent at least three years from the age of 16-21 at an English club. What he is annoyed about is that if he wanted twenty six players in his squad now he cannot. That twenty sixth player will have to move on. If he says that a player is up for sale any interested club will know that that player has not made the final squad and, therefore, not bid as much as what the player in his eyes is worth. I'm not sure if he really has 'hit out' exactly because with the way he manages a club its more beneficial. He is saying that it will be more difficult for the bigger clubs trying to sell squad players. Maybe bad for him but better for the majority i think

epsomraver

Germany introduced the home grown rule, look what it did for their young national team!

TonyGilroy

This is only a Premier League rule.

The surplus players will be loaned out to Championship sides (mostly) thus taking the place of, mostly, British players who would otherwise play for them and therefore no doubt drop down a division or two themselves. The unemployment will come at the lower levels with standards otherwise raised because fewer good players will be left with no first team football.

What is good is that with equal squad sizes the playing field is slightly levelled and young players will see some more first team action.

Lighthouse

I have no interest in trying to boost home grown players for International football. But I agree with TonyGilroy that this is the first tentative steps to trying to even up the rules the teams in the Prem have to play under. A very small step. But clearly it will benefit us all if the top 4 are stopped buying 30 players each, keeping  them away from the rest of us AND JUST KICKING NOTHING BUT THEIR HEELS.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

This from the BBC explains the new rule for those of us who need it explained simply.

In and around this year's usual summer transfer gossip, you may have noticed the mention of 25-man squads and home-grown player quotas.

The 2010-11 Premier League season will see top flight clubs forced to comply with rules over the size and make-up of their squads.

The Premier League says the new rules are designed to increase the number of young 'home-grown' players in the Premier League, with a long-term aim of giving more options to the England manager.

But what will they actually mean in practice? BBC Sport explains the key points of the new system:

- Clubs register a squad of up to 25 players, which must include at least eight 'home-grown' players, at the end of each transfer window.

- Home-grown players do not have to be English; home-grown players are defined as those who "irrespective of nationality or age, have been affiliated to the FA or Welsh FA for a period of three seasons or 36 months prior to 21st birthday"

- Clubs can supplement squad with unlimited number of players under the age of 21.

- Changes can be made only during transfer windows, although in exceptional circumstances (eg goalkeeping injury crisis) moves could be allowed.

- Players loaned to Football League clubs cannot be replaced, but can regain their spot on return to parent club.

- Rules apply only to Premier League matches, not European, FA Cup or League Cup action.

- First deadline is 1700 BST on 1 September (24 hours after end of August transfer window).

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope