watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Woodrow

Started by Chutney, November 05, 2015, 09:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chutney

If he isn't going to play, he needs to be loaned out, we can't let talent like that just stagnate, he could become a top player. In my opinion he is better than Smith, but with Smith now back and seemingly the go to option when chasing a game, Woodrow needs to get first team action elsewhere, he's an england u21 starter!
C O Y W

westcliff white

Tend to agree, however I don't think he has been a U21 starter recently
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

You need to have 4 strikers in or around the first team squad, 3 if one is injured you can just about get by with.
Loan him out and who is the 3 or 4th man?

Ordar

I still personally don't think he's good enough at this level. (I know many disagree). Too much of his game is based around him chasing about and not really being where he's meant to be. Smith quite clearly causes teams more problems when he comes off the bench.

As MJG correctly states though, we need 4 strikers in the first team squad (Unless Cairney is capable of playing as a number 10...which he probably can)

Riverside

Difficult . We need 4 in the squad I agree and Woodrow needs playing time and he is not good enough to be a starter .

2 immediate solutions
1) Cairney the 4th man
2) do the fixtures enable someone to play in the U21 games but still be in the 1st team squad ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJG

Quote from: Riverside on November 05, 2015, 10:22:07 AM
Difficult . We need 4 in the squad I agree and Woodrow needs playing time and he is not good enough to be a starter .

2 immediate solutions
1) Cairney the 4th man
2) do the fixtures enable someone to play in the U21 games but still be in the 1st team squad ?

I actually think Kaca would be a better choice as a central striker and yes the fixtures allow you to play on the friday and then saturday if required. Its one reason the U21 fixtures were changed this season.

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2015, 09:50:38 AM
You need to have 4 strikers in or around the first team squad, 3 if one is injured you can just about get by with.

Couldn't we loan him out with a recall option?
C O Y W

Horsfield_No9

Would love to see Kaca as a striker. Pace and finishing are great, could see him scoring quite a few in an advanced position.

For me I'm not certain Woodrow will make it at this level. Smith is established as this level and a good player to have in this league. There isn't really an argument for Woodrow being ahead of him in my opinion.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

snarks

Woodrow is the workhorse for a goal scorer, would like to see him and Moussa get a chance together again. However as Ross is improving (and scoring again) that is unlikely.

mullers

I agree with both your posts Chutney. Loan him out a month at a time for game experience but it's important he feels part of the squad.

dannyboi-ffc

Been thinking this myself. Now Dembele and Ross have formed a good partnership I can't see it being broken up anytime soon.  And if Smith is fit he is the sub I want to see used first as he offers something different.

Not everyone will agree but for that reason alone, Smith being a unique option off the bench I feel Woodrow is quite comfortably the weak link.

I think a loan with a recall option and use Kaca as an emergency 4th choice striker sounds like a good idea. Plus we have midfielders coming out of our ears so I'm sure we could change it up if we have to play one up top for a couple of games. 

Woodrow does seem to be getting the short straw. Not good enough to start for us over the other 3 but not developing by just getting splinters in his backside. Seems a shame
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Twig

Quote from: Chutney on November 05, 2015, 10:37:00 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2015, 09:50:38 AM

Couldn't we loan him out with a recall option?

Precisely that

Carborundum

Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2015, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: Riverside on November 05, 2015, 10:22:07 AM

2 immediate solutions
1) Cairney the 4th man

I actually think Kaca would be a better choice as a central striker and yes the fixtures allow you to play on the friday and then saturday if required. Its one reason the U21 fixtures were changed this season.
I'll add support to the idea of Kaca as a central striker.  A combination of him with Matt Smith could do particular damage in the FA Cup.

Cauley Woodrow's current problem is not really Moussa Dembele, or that he is understudy to our captain, Ross McCormack.  His main problem is that Ross doesn't get injured or suspended.  Whilst a loan would be good, the recall clause might put clubs off.  The first sign of Ross limping and he'd be yanked back.  

But make no mistake Cauley is a talented lad and his time will surely come.

Skatzoffc

I can't see Kaka in the same position at all.

I'm upset for Woodrow.
He is class in my eyes. Tough with it imo.  What you need in this division.
I would try to keep him at all costs. I know we've signed him, but he is not one of KS's favourites so it will be difficult for him. But I feel he is strong enough to rise above this and forge on.

Keep in there Woody and you will rise above.
COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

nose

Quote from: Ordar on November 05, 2015, 10:10:09 AM
I still personally don't think he's good enough at this level. (I know many disagree). Too much of his game is based around him chasing about and not really being where he's meant to be. Smith quite clearly causes teams more problems when he comes off the bench.

As MJG correctly states though, we need 4 strikers in the first team squad (Unless Cairney is capable of playing as a number 10...which he probably can)

for the few minutes the manager has allowed him two goals and quite a number of chances including one just a whisker away at charlton that would have secured a win I would have thought are very good reason to give the boy a chance.

for the limited time he is given all that makes sense for him to do is use his frexh legs to chase things down.

he will go because of this ridiculous treatment and he will be successful elsewhere because in truth he is the second most talented forward we have.

YoungsBitter

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on November 05, 2015, 01:22:05 PM
Been thinking this myself. Now Dembele and Ross have formed a good partnership I can't see it being broken up anytime soon.  And if Smith is fit he is the sub I want to see used first as he offers something different.

Not everyone will agree but for that reason alone, Smith being a unique option off the bench I feel Woodrow is quite comfortably the weak link.

I think a loan with a recall option and use Kaca as an emergency 4th choice striker sounds like a good idea. Plus we have midfielders coming out of our ears so I'm sure we could change it up if we have to play one up top for a couple of games. 

Woodrow does seem to be getting the short straw. Not good enough to start for us over the other 3 but not developing by just getting splinters in his backside. Seems a shame
I agree. He is getting to train and practice with Ross and Moussa, which has value, but he will not hone his craft unless he plays. I think short term loan to a League 1 team so that he plays 90 minutes 8-9 times compettively makes all the sense in the world. He is unlikely to develop into a Moussa or Smith target man but he needs to step up his finishing if he is to be the back up to McCormack.
We can miss him for 2-3 months with the back ups like Kaca and Cairney that we have.
Quark, strangeness and charm