watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Word of warning about derogatory posts

Started by epsomraver, November 09, 2015, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

The owners of Blackpool Football Club have each won £20,000 in damages after they were defamed by a fan on a website.
Owen and Karl Oyston sued supporter David Ragozzino over posts on a message board on Another View From the Tower.

jarv

Apprentice to the Maestro

The BBC report states:

"The posts included "lurid allegations of a sexual nature" and allegations of "fraudulent and corrupt behaviour", a High Court hearing was told".

So it was somewhat more serious than the general abuse that one might expect on a messageboard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34771007

copthornemike

Must be that Blackpool sea air - seems to make some people do strange things, even those paragons of virtue and civilised behaviour known as Owen and Carl Oyston.

Burt

The Owlstalk case was the first big one concerning a football message board.

It's why we are quick to remove any comment on here that could be deemed to be libellous. Fortunately there aren't that many...!

love4ffc

Quote from: Burt on November 09, 2015, 09:31:27 PM

It's why we are quick to remove any comment on here that could be deemed to be libellous. Fortunately there aren't that many...!

And the fact there are not that many is just one more reason why Fulham FC Fans are among the GREATEST IN THE WORLD. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

fulhamben

Quote from: love4ffc on November 09, 2015, 09:39:53 PM

And the fact there are not that many is just one more reason why Fulham FC Fans are among the GREATEST IN THE WORLD. 
I would imagine there would be a few if we were going through what the Blackpool fans are going through
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HatterDon

Basically, we can comment on a person's intelligence, common sense, ability to ride a bicycle, or what would be his or her most appropriate choice in headwear.

We CANNOT speculate that a person is involved in what used to be known as a "crime against nature," regularly uses controlled substances, runs a criminal enterprise, plans to link up with Spectre against James Bond, launders drug money, has stolen the family silver, or secretly supports the lot down the road.

Seems pretty clear to me -- and well done to the moderators of this site for knowing the difference so clearly and keeping things ticking over!  084.gif 065.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rhys Lightning 63

Well as someone who got a 19% on his Media Law module at University (don't worry, I passed the resit) and actually studied this case in detail (for an hour) I say we have nothing to worry about.

The 'abuse' we dish out on here ain't gonna land anyone in trouble. I don't want to bore anyone in the details of The Defamation Act of 2013, but basically, don't call anyone a racist/sexist/homophobic etc and we'll all stay out of jail. Capiche?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

west kowloon white

"Kipper" is sailing close to the wind- would cut it out Woolly.

NogoodBoyo

Whilst on the fishy scales of justice, what about a purveyor of Welsh cod?
Nogood "raising the cod piece again, isit" Boyo
Or Nogood "stirring up the fishy entrails of an esteemed poster who doesn't like my childish signings off, isit" Boyo :hook:

Blanco

Seems incredible that you can no longer state your opinion on someone or something without having charges brought against you. Am I right in saying that this doesn´t happen in the USA? I´m pretty sure freedom of speech is still a thing in America. Peoples opinions still seem to be ok instead of making laws to shut everyone up.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Blanco on November 09, 2015, 11:46:39 PM
Seems incredible that you can no longer state your opinion on someone or something without having charges brought against you. Am I right in saying that this doesn´t happen in the USA? I´m pretty sure freedom of speech is still a thing in America. Peoples opinions still seem to be ok instead of making laws to shut everyone up.

According to the BBC report the comments were somewhat more than an opinion:

"The posts included "lurid allegations of a sexual nature" and allegations of "fraudulent and corrupt behaviour", a High Court hearing was told".

So it was somewhat more serious than the general abuse that one might expect on a messageboard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34771007

Woolly Mammoth

Your absolutely correct Bianco.
I am quite vexed that it appears that it is inappropriate to call you a Kipper.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 10, 2015, 12:06:19 AM
Your absolutely correct Bianco.
I am quite vexed that it appears that it is inappropriate to call you a Kipper.

Depending on his past history, you can
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

love4ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on November 09, 2015, 09:50:26 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on November 09, 2015, 09:39:53 PM

I would imagine there would be a few if we were going through what the Blackpool fans are going through

If we were on the verge of follwing Blackpool then I would probably be among the first to be in trouble with the club. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on November 09, 2015, 11:07:08 PM
Well as someone who got a 19% on his Media Law module at University (don't worry, I passed the resit) and actually studied this case in detail (for an hour) I say we have nothing to worry about.

The 'abuse' we dish out on here ain't gonna land anyone in trouble. I don't want to bore anyone in the details of The Defamation Act of 2013, but basically, don't call anyone a racist/sexist/homophobic etc and we'll all stay out of jail. Capiche?

If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Burt

The test for whether something is libellous or not and a claim can therefore be pursued is very clear...

Therefore anything that is defamatory, mentioned in this public forum, aimed at a clearly identifiable individual, and negatively impacts the reputation of that person then it will be removed.

Not just to protect the interests of FOF, but also the FOFer making the statement given it is normally the poster(s) that get pursued.

Simples!

Common sense applies.