Word of warning about derogatory posts

Started by epsomraver, November 09, 2015, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 10, 2015, 08:30:50 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on November 10, 2015, 07:39:31 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on November 10, 2015, 06:55:53 PM
Quote from: Blanco on November 09, 2015, 11:46:39 PM
Seems incredible that you can no longer state your opinion on someone or something without having charges brought against you. Am I right in saying that this doesn´t happen in the USA? I´m pretty sure freedom of speech is still a thing in America. Peoples opinions still seem to be ok instead of making laws to shut everyone up.

Freedom of speech, here in the US, is under constant assault by political correctness. Several universities have banned the use of gender specific pronouns because they are micro-aggressive whatever the hell that means. The president of the University of Missouri and the chancellor of the main campus resigned in the last few days because they wouldn't apologize for "white privilege"; as if an accident of birth makes one evil. Many retail businesses forbid things such as "Merry Christmas" because it might offend. A cross erected a hundred years ago in southern California near San Diego as  part of a war memorial on government land was ordered removed so as insure the separation of church and state. The inmates are running the asylum. 

People flocked to America to seek freedom from various oppressions and now they come to escape their old country by changing their new country to what they had at home. Sound familiar?

A quick comment: much of the above is incorrect; the rest is just silly, but carry on.

Donnie, old boy, exactly what above is incorrect. I'll give you everything after my opinion (inmates forward), but the rest is factual.

1. The president of the U of M resigned because he had not taken steps to condemn the rampant racism on his campus. He resigned under pressure because the pointy football team was about to go on strike midway through their season thus losing the university millions of dollars. This had absolutely nothing to do with free speech. It had everything to do with a COO getting the can because he was about to lose his company milllions.

2. There is NO business in this country that has ordered its employees NOT to say Merry Christmas. That is the silly part. and it's also the not-factual part. I think this is just another example of the right tending to turn things on their head. A recent one was that when the owner of Starbucks said he was against discrimination against same sex couples, it was reported as him saying, "People who support traditional marriage are not welcome at Starbucks." Silly, but people believe it. The whole "war on Christmas" is an invention of Mr. Murdoch's empire.

Oh, and please take a USAF  065.gif to you on the birthday of the United States Marine Corps! Semper Fi

and I won't say on here why it was created, so as not to offend our hosts.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Ichabod Magoo

Seems incredible that you can no longer state your opinion on someone or something without having charges brought against you. Am I right in saying that this doesn´t happen in the USA? I´m pretty sure freedom of speech is still a thing in America. Peoples opinions still seem to be ok instead of making laws to shut everyone up.

Freedom of speech, here in the US, is under constant assault by political correctness. Several universities have banned the use of gender specific pronouns because they are micro-aggressive whatever the hell that means. The president of the University of Missouri and the chancellor of the main campus resigned in the last few days because they wouldn't apologize for "white privilege"; as if an accident of birth makes one evil. Many retail businesses forbid things such as "Merry Christmas" because it might offend. A cross erected a hundred years ago in southern California near San Diego as  part of a war memorial on government land was ordered removed so as insure the separation of church and state. The inmates are running the asylum.  

People flocked to America to seek freedom from various oppressions and now they come to escape their old country by changing their new country to what they had at home. Sound familiar?

A quick comment: much of the above is incorrect; the rest is just silly, but carry on.

Actually I see no misstatements of fact.  Did you want him to apologize for not conforming to your world view?
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

YankeeJim

Quote from: HatterDon on November 10, 2015, 10:25:55 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on November 10, 2015, 08:30:50 PM

Freedom of speech, here in the US, is under constant assault by political correctness. Several universities have banned the use of gender specific pronouns because they are micro-aggressive whatever the hell that means. The president of the University of Missouri and the chancellor of the main campus resigned in the last few days because they wouldn't apologize for "white privilege"; as if an accident of birth makes one evil. Many retail businesses forbid things such as "Merry Christmas" because it might offend. A cross erected a hundred years ago in southern California near San Diego as  part of a war memorial on government land was ordered removed so as insure the separation of church and state. The inmates are running the asylum. 

Donnie, old boy, exactly what above is incorrect. I'll give you everything after my opinion (inmates forward), but the rest is factual.

1. The president of the U of M resigned because he had not taken steps to condemn the rampant racism on his campus. He resigned under pressure because the pointy football team was about to go on strike midway through their season thus losing the university millions of dollars. This had absolutely nothing to do with free speech. It had everything to do with a COO getting the can because he was about to lose his company milllions.

2. There is NO business in this country that has ordered its employees NOT to say Merry Christmas. That is the silly part. and it's also the not-factual part. I think this is just another example of the right tending to turn things on their head. A recent one was that when the owner of Starbucks said he was against discrimination against same sex couples, it was reported as him saying, "People who support traditional marriage are not welcome at Starbucks." Silly, but people believe it. The whole "war on Christmas" is an invention of Mr. Murdoch's empire.

Oh, and please take a USAF  065.gif to you on the birthday of the United States Marine Corps! Semper Fi

and I won't say on here why it was created, so as not to offend our hosts.

Actually, I was referring to the demand list of the protesters (which didn't include football players until the last few days) of which the first demand was a public apology for his "white" privilege. A group of college spoiled brats had a hissy fit because school leadership didn't overturn the apple cart because of two alleged incidents of racism.
My sister in law works for Target and she has told me that Target has instructed its people not to use the term Merry Christmas because it might offend someone. I tested it last Christmas season and asked two different retail employees at Target why they didn't used the banned language and was told they weren't allowed to. I tried it at a Best Buy and was told the same thing. Hardly a scientific study so I suggest you try it.
As a second thing, Target does not allow either the Salvation Army or the Marine's Toys For Tots Program on their property. Ask them.

And  065.gif back at ya fly boy!

Tomorrow is what we yanks call Veterans Day. A hardy God Bless to all that served; especially those that were carried back.
starsnstripes
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

NorfolkJim

Please....No one has mentioned the Daily Mail or the Sun yet (allegedly in my opinion) Isnt it about time these oracles were consulted on these matters - surely they would know?

Blanco

Wow. So the mighty Don was actually wrong about something. Who would have thought?