watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Driving Instructors on here

Started by WoodyFFC73, November 16, 2015, 10:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodyFFC73

Hi all, I'm seriously considering changing profession (99% certain) and becoming a driving instructor. I've looked at a few franchises and training courses and I think I've selected what seems right for me. Are there any instructors on here? If so, how do you find it? Is it an enjoyable lifestyle? I like the idea of working for myself in a flexible way, it will be helpful with family commitments etc. Other instructor views would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
049:gif

bog

My father ran a driving school in the late 60's and I was an instructor back in my early 20's. It was easier to start a school up then, but the biggest thing you need yourself is patience and understanding. Watch what you sigh up for though.

092.gif

filham

I remember trying to teach both my wife and my daughter to drive and failed miserably in both cases before handing over to the professionals
A job that needs a degree of patience, tact and diplomacy I would think.

WoodyFFC73

Thank you chaps. Tact and patience is key then. Fortunately I have that when it comes to people. But inanimate objects beware though!!

bog

The worst to try to teach is your own kith and kin. They just will not listen!! 093.gif A stranger yes! Good luck if you do.

092.gif

Holders

If you did it in the '20s, bog, there'd have been a lot less traffic on the roads then!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: Holders on November 16, 2015, 03:35:43 PM
If you did it in the '20s, bog, there'd have been a lot less traffic on the roads then!

But many more cows, pigs, chicken, and oxen.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

MikeW

Also lousy hours, no chance to nip off for a swift one when stressed and having to work Saturdays and evenings?  Good luck mate!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

LBNo11

...I failed my first driving test, I ran over the man walking along holding the red flag..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Buffalo76

Can be very expensive, pass rate is very low ( 22% I think ) and its a lot harder than you might think. I'm speaking from personal experience. Had a go myself a few years ago. Thought the theory would be the hardest part but it was a breeze compared to the driving side. Been driving for some years and think i'm a competent enough driver but I was nowhere near the required standard unfortunately. Suppose you never know until you try though.

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: LBNo11 on November 16, 2015, 04:58:06 PM
...I failed my first driving test, I ran over the man walking along holding the red flag..!

Did you break the flag?
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

LBNo11

Quote from: Ichabod Magoo on November 16, 2015, 06:47:39 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on November 16, 2015, 04:58:06 PM

Did you break the flag?

...no, that said if it had been a blue flag, weeeell..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Barrett487

I'm an ex-instrucor. I gave up in 2004, but was only doing it for a couple of years. There are three parts to becoming fully qualified and i flunked part 3, which was role-play (strange that... been told i was good at that).

Part one is a theory test and part two is a practicle. I found both of these easy, however part three is more 'testing', as it asseses your teaching ability whilst instructing an examiner pretending to be a learner. It's three strikes and you're out with these exams.... failing any stage means you start from scratch again.

You have to undergo training, via another instructer, with a minimum number of instruction hours required. This is pretty expensive and if you fail part 3 you have to go through it all again. I instructed for eighteen months and achieved 63% pass rate (national rate was 41%), but couldn't nail part 3. I chucked it in rather than pay for the training again without any guarantee i wouldn't have to do it all again.

As for instructing itself, i found it very enjoyable in the main, but be aware that
1/ you have to fit in with your student's hours, which will often be before college, evenings, weekends and school holidays.
2/ there is often downtime between lessons, so eight hours of instruction may take 12 or more hours out of your day.
3/ franchaise costs are extremely expensive, usually a weekly fixed figure (as you're getting started they'll probably just take a percentage)
4/ you don't get paid holiday, or sickness, so you need to consider personal insurance to cover this.
5/ fuel bills are going to be high and paid for by you.
6/ students cancelling are a pain. They should still pay you unless they give you a day's notice, but some won't cough up and others plead for leniency (your call obviously)
7/ cash is best. i had a couple of bouncers (cheques)
8/ you have to keep accurate accounts and fill out a tax return (or hire an accountant)

There's probably more advise to give, but these are the points that come to mind immediately.

WoodyFFC73

Quote from: Barrett487 on November 16, 2015, 11:50:04 PM
I'm an ex-instrucor. I gave up in 2004, but was only doing it for a couple of years. There are three parts to becoming fully qualified and i flunked part 3, which was role-play (strange that... been told i was good at that).

Part one is a theory test and part two is a practicle. I found both of these easy, however part three is more 'testing', as it asseses your teaching ability whilst instructing an examiner pretending to be a learner. It's three strikes and you're out with these exams.... failing any stage means you start from scratch again.

You have to undergo training, via another instructer, with a minimum number of instruction hours required. This is pretty expensive and if you fail part 3 you have to go through it all again. I instructed for eighteen months and achieved 63% pass rate (national rate was 41%), but couldn't nail part 3. I chucked it in rather than pay for the training again without any guarantee i wouldn't have to do it all again.

As for instructing itself, i found it very enjoyable in the main, but be aware that
1/ you have to fit in with your student's hours, which will often be before college, evenings, weekends and school holidays.
2/ there is often downtime between lessons, so eight hours of instruction may take 12 or more hours out of your day.
3/ franchaise costs are extremely expensive, usually a weekly fixed figure (as you're getting started they'll probably just take a percentage)
4/ you don't get paid holiday, or sickness, so you need to consider personal insurance to cover this.
5/ fuel bills are going to be high and paid for by you.
6/ students cancelling are a pain. They should still pay you unless they give you a day's notice, but some won't cough up and others plead for leniency (your call obviously)
7/ cash is best. i had a couple of bouncers (cheques)
8/ you have to keep accurate accounts and fill out a tax return (or hire an accountant)

There's probably more advise to give, but these are the points that come to mind immediately.

Thank you Barrett, much appreciated. Gives me more to consider.