watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff 03.08.10

Started by os5889, August 03, 2010, 12:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Fulham and Stoke prepare for battle in pursuit of out-of-favour Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz

Manchester City are expecting offers from Stoke and Fulham for Roque Santa Cruz but will have to accept less than half the £18m they paid for the Paraguay World Cup striker just over a year ago.
Former City boss Mark Hughes signed Santa Cruz from his old club Blackburn after a lengthy pursuit, but the 28-year-old struggled to make an impression last season and scored only four goals.
With City expected to bring in Inter Milan striker Mario Balotelli, Santa Cruz is surplus to requirements and one of several players expected to leave Eastlands before the end of the month.
Stoke and Fulham are both in the market for a striker but are unlikely to pay more than £8m for Santa Cruz, particularly given his persistent injury problems.
Meanwhile, the father of Bordeaux midfielder Yoann Gourcuff, 24, claims City have expressed an interest in the France international.
Christian Gourcuff said his son would stay at Bordeaux this season but is interested in a move to the Premier League in future, adding: 'He was invited by Manchester City to see their facilities and we talked, but no progress was achieved.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1299751/Manchester-City-expecting-bids-Roque-Santa-Cruz-Fulham-Stoke.html#ixzz0vUkZ1372

os5889

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/03/fulham-sir-dave-richards-peter-crouch

Sir Dave Richards faces Fulham high court action over Peter Crouch
• Fulham say Premier League chairman acted in favour of Spurs
• High court writ over Crouch's transfer from Portsmouth

Sir Dave Richards's exoneration by the Premier League from any wrongdoing over Peter Crouch's transfer from Portsmouth is the subject of a fresh dispute between Gloucester Place and Fulham. The Premier League chairman is the subject of a high court action by Fulham alleging that he acted against their interests and in favour of Tottenham Hotspur when he became involved in transfer negotiations for the England international last summer.

In a letter to clubs last week Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's chief executive, said: "The matters complained of by Fulham were the subject of an inquiry conducted by Peter McCormick, in his capacity [as] an independent legal adviser to the Premier League, earlier this year.

"The inquiry concluded that it was not inappropriate for the chairman to assist in such matters when requested to do so by a club."

Digger can reveal that in a letter to the Premier League last September Fulham raised six objections to its intentions for the inquiry, one of which was McCormick. He is chairman of the league's legal advisory group and Fulham felt it inappropriate for McCormick to sit in judgment of the chairman of an organisation from which he routinely earns fees.

Evidently McCormick did not consider there to be any breach rule 3.01(2.b) of the Solicitors Regulation Authority's code of conduct on conflicts of interest. Although Fulham consented to McCormick's engagement, they are clearly not happy with the outcome, hence a high court writ.

Pompey's car park puzzle

Those seeking a reason for Alexandre Gaydamak's decision to lock up Portsmouth's car park might have thought it was an effort to put to bed the "coincidence" he admits which links his family and the club's "owner", Balram Chainrai. Gaydamak closed access to his land adjacent to Fratton Park at a sensitive time for Pompey. It happened less than a week before the club's administrator heads to the high court today to defend his company voluntary arrangement for creditors against the taxman's challenge. If HM Revenue & Customs fails, the CVA is expected to confirm that Chainrai, a former business partner of Gaydamak's father, Arkady, can take control of a debt-free Portsmouth. Chainrai only invested the £17m that first allowed him to gain control of the club after the Israeli courts awarded him exactly that sum from Gaydamak senior's frozen assets. A large part of the reason Chainrai is so close to taking control of Pompey is that Gaydamak voted in support of the CVA, despite the fact it would cost him about £25m of the £31.5m the club owes him.
These facts are not lost on HMRC, which believes the CVA process will leave it unjustly nursing a multi-million-pound deficit. But even if the taxman relies on them in court today, Gaydamak insists his decision to close access to the car park was for health and- safety reasons and is not related to the case. "Any claims that the land is being used to block games is inaccurate, distracting and unhelpful given this critical time for the club," Gaydamak's spokesman said. "Sacha [Alexandre] has always had the best interests of the club at heart and fully supports any party and solution that facilitates the club's ability to trade and prosper." So the "coincidence" still remains.

Powar spreads racism fight

Macedonian fans who last week gestured and directed monkey chants at Liverpool's black players during a Europa League tie at last have someone looking over their shoulders. Piara Powar, the well-connected chief executive of Kick It Out, has left the organisation to head the previously disparate pressure group Football Against Racism in Europe. Powar has been the driving force behind England's hugely effective anti-racism lobby for more than a decade and, with significant funding from Uefa, is now setting up a co-ordinated European equivalent. In the meantime, Kick It Out is recruiting a replacement for its long-serving chief executive.
Store bails out Shrimpers

What pact has Sainsbury's signed with Ron Martin? Yet again yesterday it handed over another multi-million-pound sum so he could cover Southend United's short-term liabilities with long-term debt. That caused the taxman's request to the high court to order administration against an "incontrovertibly insolvent" football club to be thrown out yesterday. At the latest reckoning that means Sainsbury's has supported Martin's chairmanship of the Shrimpers with more than £8m of debt finance in the name of a new stadium at Fossett's Farm, and not a single brick has been laid.

os5889

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/03/arsenal-manuel-almunia-goalkeeper

'I've got nothing to prove,' says Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia
• Spaniard unconcerned by possible arrival of Mark Schwarzer
• Forced to share goalkeeping duties with Lukasz Fabianski

Manuel Almunia has responded to speculation about his future at Arsenal by insisting he does not have to "convince anybody" of his credentials as a goalkeeper.

It is expected Arsène Wenger will add another goalkeeper to his squad before the start of the Premier League season, with Mark Schwarzer believed to be his principal target.

Fulham have rejected a £2m bid for the 37-year-old but the player is keen on a move to the Emirates and is expected to relay that view to Mark Hughes after he is presented as the Fulham manager at a press conference today.

Schwarzer's arrival would threaten Alumina's place in the Arsenal team. The Spaniard established himself as Wenger's No1 following the departure of Jens Lehmann in June 2008 but has failed to fully convince and last season was forced to fight for his position with Lukasz Fabianski. Almunia played 36 times, keeping 13 clean sheets, while Fabianski featured in 10 matches and kept two clean sheets.

The pair have shared goalkeeping responsibilities during Arsenal's pre-season programme, with Almunia playing twice, including in Sunday's 3-2 Emirates Cup win over Celtic, and Fabianski three times.

Such switching points to a lack of faith in the pair by Wenger but Almunia is not worried. "I don't need to convince anybody – I just do my job," the 33-year-old said. "I have a couple more years on my contract and that's it, I'm an Arsenal player."

Whoever ends up in goal will want greater cover from their defence than was the case last season. Arsenal conceded 41 goals during the Premier League campaign, nine more than champions Chelsea and six more than Liverpool, who finished four places below them in seventh.

Arsenal's defensive frailties were again apparent during the Emirates Cup, when they allowed Milan to equalise through a weak header from Pato and conceded two late and avoidable goals to Celtic.

The French full-back Bacary Sagna admits such sloppiness is a worry and has called on his fellow defenders – which is likely to include the addition of one more centre-back – to cut out such errors before the opening game of the new season, which is away to Liverpool on 15 August.

"We definitely need to be more consistent," Sagna said. "If you remember what happened last year against Wigan [when Arsenal lost 3-2 having led 2-0], that shows we need to keep playing [until the end of the game]. Maybe we stop playing sometimes because we think the game is too easy. We need to talk more on the pitch and stay together."

Overall, however, Sagna is in positive mood, having been part of a team who have won four and drawn one of their five summer fixtures so far and seen the encouraging debuts of new recruits Laurent Koscielny and Marouane Chamakh.

Chamakh, who arrived on a free transfer from Bordeaux in May, has impressed Sagna with two goals, so much so he believes the 26-year-old can have a similar impact for Arsenal as Emmanuel Adebayor did prior to his move to Manchester City last summer.

"He [Chamakh] can make the difference because he is a good player, can keep the ball and score great goals," Sagna said. "It will be very important to have a player like that in front of goal. I will trust him with the ball because he can keep it quite easily. He looks like Adebayor – they are both very good in front of goal and that is a good thing for the team."

os5889

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/3078849/Ian-Wright-Dont-expect-too-much-of-Mark-Hughes.html#ixzz0vUlU7Ij6

Dont Expect Too Much Of Sparky

Ian Wright

MARK HUGHES will be unveiled as Fulham's new boss today.
It is a decent appointment and certainly a better option than Sven Goran Eriksson.
Yet Hughes has a problem and it is through no fault of his own.
He comes to a club on the back of the most glorious, successful season where expectations are likely to be higher than they should be.
It is unlikely Hughes will ever be able to surpass Roy Hodgson's feat of taking the club to the Europa League final and everyone at Craven Cottage must accept this.
This is not a case of lacking ambition - more like being realistic. I cannot see any way Fulham can build on that achievement. Getting into a Champions League spot will be beyond them.
The club's supporters have to accept last season was a special time. They must cherish it and take that fantastic run for what it was - a one-off - and not put any pressure on Hughesy because of last season's success. I like Fulham. The people behind the scenes there have worked hard and developed it into a decent Premier League club.
The fanbase is now good, far better that it was when they first came into the top flight.
But I have no doubt that Hughes will ensure Fulham do not have any relegation worries.
Advertisement

There will be some new arrivals and Craig Bellamy would be one person I would not be surprised to see arriving at Fulham. Hughes will create a decent team and the fans will get behind him - but the comparisons with Hodgson's side will have to stop.
The Football League starts again this weekend and I love the Championship because it is so unpredictable.
Unlike the Premier League, even when the top team is playing the bottom side, you can never be entirely sure what the result will be.
I'd love to see my old team Palace go up this season but I cannot see it. I'm just glad the club still exists.
There are loads of other big clubs in there - Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest and Leicester to name three. I was pleased to see Leeds go up and I'd like to see them achieve a second successive promotion as they are a big club and arguably bigger than a lot of Premier League outfits.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/3078849/Ian-Wright-Dont-expect-too-much-of-Mark-Hughes.html#ixzz0vUldoUQb

os5889

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/sports/9136-blackburn-targets-utaka

Blackburn targets Utaka

BLACKBURN Rovers chairman, John Williams has revealed that the club had made an increased offer for an unnamed striker as it set to bolster its attacking options, and it is understood JohnUtaka is the player in question.

According to Skysports.com, Portsmouth is willing to sell the Nigerian international in a bid to cut costs following its relegation from the Premier League.

Bolton, Sunderland and Fulham are believed to have shown interest in the 28-year-old, but it appears Rovers is leading the chase for Utaka's signature.

A number of foreign sides are also believed to be eyeing Utaka, but the player is understood to be keen to stay in England and Rovers could offer him that opportunity.

os5889

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/428731-epl-vs-la-liga-the-battle-for-supremacy-as-the-worlds-1-league

EPL VS. La Liga : The Battle For Supremacy As The World's # 1 League
By Justin Dowling (Contributor) on August 2, 2010

Which League Is The Best In The World?

With Spain winning the World Cup this past summer in South Africa, and there Domestic league touting the two best players in world, and now having the hottest manager in the world of football in Jose Mourinho joining Real Madrid; will Spain's La Liga over take England's Premier League as the best league in the world?

It's a debate that can go on for days, is it the Premier League or Spain's La Liga that is the best in the world? For some it's Spain's closed control and technical skill but for most it's Premier League's physical nature and the raw passion that you feel every time you tune in for a game and each stadium is packed to the rafters with supporter's who live and die with every touch of the ball.

While La Liga is seemed to have more technical skill most of that can be chalked up to the referee's setting a standard to let the player's have their space to use their creativity on and off the ball to make things happen to awe the crowd. But in the same respect the Premier league brings the same amount of technical skill and more to the table overall as a league being the total package of size, skill, speed, and technical ability.

As you take a look at both leagues from top-to-bottom as far as depth of team's and also depth of player's overall it is not much of a question being that the Premier edges out La Liga in regards to both. This is because it is merely a battle at the top between Real Madrid and Barcelona in La Liga with the only other team's fighting for supremacy being Valencia (who just sold their two best player's), Athletico Madrid (who have the talent overall but just can't get it done), & Sevilla (who have the attacking talent but also just never seem to get it done). While in the Premier League there is "The Big Four" in Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, & Arsenal, and also proverbial big spender's Manchester City and London outfit Tottenham knocking on the door. Also in the Premier league team's like Everton, Aston Villa, and Fulham are right on the cusp of breaking through, but lack the transfer funds of the bigger clubs which inhibits them from taking bigger steps in the right direction.

Also the best players in the world are being brought to the Premier League to star for the biggest clubs while in La Liga it's mainly just Real Madrid and Barcelona snapping up player's and both teams are starting to have to deal with log jam's at the top in terms of starting position's and playing time.

The Premier League has become the world's most watched professional football league. It is also the world's most lucrative league, with combined club revenues in 2007-2008 being $3.15 billion. It is also ranked first in UEFA's coefficient of league's based on European competition over the last five year's beating out Spain's La Liga and Italy's Seria A.

We will see in the coming seasons if the two best players in the world Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for Real Marid and Barcelona respectively can do anything to change that. Also with Jose Mourinho joining Real Madrid this off-season he should only help add to the spotlight of what La Liga has to offer

os5889

Transfer-listed Villa defender determined to prove his worth

Curtis Davies is determined not to be forced out the door at Aston Villa and he is on a mission to force Martin O'Neill to hand him a new contract.

Davies, signed for £11m from WBA two years ago, has been placed on the transfer list at Villa Park as part of O'Neill's redevelopment plans.

But he is ready to dig his heels in over the decision and force O'Neill into a u-turn and earn himself a fresh deal at the club.

Davies has been stuck on 59 appearances for the club and missed most of last season after shoulder surgery.

One more senior appearance in the Premier League will trigger a clause in his deal that will force Villa to renegotiate his £25,000-a-week deal.

Davies wants to be elevated among the higher earners at Villa Park and to show O'Neill he made the wrong decision to show him the door.

He has been included in Villa's Guadiana Cup squad in Portugal and said: `The biggest thing for me is getting back into the team.

`I am going to roll my sleeves up and see what happens. Obviously the manager will make his decisions but I will see, keep my head down and hope things work out for me.'

Davies has flogged himself with his own summer training regime and has returned to pre-season fitter than ever.

`I have never been scared of competition. I have done a lot of hard work and a lot of running throughout the holidays. Now I've come back for pre-season one of the fittest here and determined to make it work,' he added.

`We'll have to wait and see. If I can get in the team ahead of the likes of Carlos Cuellar, Richard Dunne and James Collins you know you must have something right in pre-season.

`If I can put in a couple of good performances against Feyenoord and Benfica, hopefully that will stand me in good stead for the start of the season.

`If I play well I can give the manager a massive headache and that is what I want to do.'

Newcastle United and Fulham have made tentative enquiries about Davies, but have been put off by Villa's £7m asking price for the former WBA captain.

Davies is one of six players placed on the transfer list by Martin O'Neill as the manager tries to boost his budget for new signing.

Along with Nicky Shorey, Luke Young, Steve Sidwell, Nigel Reo-Coker and Habib Beye, Davies has been put up for sale to generate spending funds.

He has fully recovered from the surgery to repair a dislocated shoulder and insists Villa have not been damaged by O'Neill's planned clear out and the uncertainty hanging over so many of the squad.

`Team spirit is so important - it's a massive thing. It's about doing it out on the pitch, but if you have players who talk to each other on and off the pitch and get on with each other on and off the pitch, it makes things so much easier. We have that.'

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Curtis-Davies-wants-to-stay-and-fight-for-his-place-at-Aston-Villa-after-being-transfer-listed-article543837.html#ixzz0vUmWabYh

os5889

Hughes ready to pounce for former Gunner

Mark Hughes has joined the race to take ex-Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb on loan from Barcelona.

The new Fulham boss, set to be unveiled this afternoon, is keen to add quality to last season's Europa League finalist ahead of the new season.

But rather than tap into the £25million war chest made available to him by owner Mohamed Al Fayed, Hughes is eyeing a number of loan deals and sees 29-year-old Hleb as a suitable candidate.

The Belarus midfielder is surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp but was outstanding for Arsenal before he quit the club for Spain in 2008.

A loan move to his previous club Stuttgart failed to work out but Hleb is keen to come back to the Premier League where he produced his best form.

Aston Villa, Sunderland, West Ham and Spurs have all expressed an interest in him

But Hleb had been keen to fight for his place at the Nou Camp, but was left in no doubt as to how he is viewed by the club when he was left off the plane for Barca's recent trip to Valerenga for a pre-season friendly.

Hleb has already been offered to English clubs earlier this summer but Barca received few offers to take him outright back then. Now he would be available for about £4million - just two years after the Catalans splashed out £12m to take him from Arsenal.

Hughes is also weighing up a loan move for Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz is also headed for the exit door at Eastlands - a season after moving there from Blackburn for £17.5million.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Mark-Hughes-wants-Alexander-Hleb-on-loan-from-Barcelona-article543807.html#ixzz0vUnArkl0

os5889

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/02/roque-santa-cruz-manchester-city-fulham

Mark Hughes wants Manchester City's Roque Santa Cruz at Fulham
• Move complicated by player's £90,000 a week salary
• Hughes also interested in signing Craig Bellamy

Mark Hughes, the new Fulham manager, has made the first move in his bid to coax Roque Santa Cruz away from Manchester City. Hughes has not been put off by the striker's erratic record at Eastlands and Fulham's interest in the injury-plagued Paraguayan has been relayed to City via an intermediary in the past few days.

The negotiations are only at a preliminary stage but Hughes has been encouraged to believe that Roberto Mancini, the man who replaced him as City's manager last December, is willing to let Santa Cruz leave.

The player is aware that he does not figure prominently in Mancini's plans although his departure is complicated by his salary, understood to be close to £90,000 a week, and his reluctance to leave the north-west.

Santa Cruz and his family are settled in Cheshire and that may mean a move to Stoke City appeals more to a player who is likely to command less than half the £18m fee that was paid to prise him from Blackburn Rovers 13 months ago. Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, is keen to bring in a powerful striker this summer and the Potteries club have informed City of their interest. Fenerbahce have also initiated contact about the former Bayern Munich player whose time in Manchester has been more synonymous with his injuries than the goals he has scored.

In total, he has managed only four for City but Hughes was managing Blackburn when Santa Cruz scored 23 times in the 2007-08 season and has kept faith with the player despite his recurrent knee problems.

As City look to trim their oversized squad, Hughes's interest extends to several more of his former players, most notably Craig Bellamy, who is also among Harry Redknapp's targets at Tottenham Hotspur.

os5889

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5ipCPmyyVnhVXK3TvKgDbAaeA7ASg

Pantsil excited over Fulham future

Fulham defender John Pantsil is aiming for a top-six finish under new manager Mark Hughes.
The Ghana full-back is convinced Hughes, who will be officially unveiled by the club on Tuesday, can build on everything Roy Hodgson achieved at Craven Cottage.
"I have said many times that Roy Hodgson was someone that made me the player that I am today, and that I am very grateful. But we have to move on - this is what happens in football," said Pantsil.
"The appointment of Mark Hughes is a very exciting one, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this team evolves under his guidance.
"He's a very good manager and I think most of the players have come up against his teams in the past and from those experiences we know that he has a lot of quality. He's someone that commands a lot of respect and is tactically very astute.
"It's not long now until the new season gets up and running. This will be my third as a Fulham player and I'm very excited about what could unfold.
"It will be a challenge, but for me I would love to see the club push as close as they can for a top-six finish.
"I believe in this squad of players and we have shown before what we can achieve as a team.
"I know that people will say that it will be difficult, but we have to be ambitious and have belief in our ability - otherwise what is the point in going out there?"

os5889

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/8/2/1601398/the-manchester-city-view-of-mark

The Manchester City View of Mark Hughes: Q & A With Danny Pugsley Of Bitter & Blue
by Russ Goldman on Aug 2, 2010 11:10 PM BST   0 comments

Tomorrow there will be a press conference to officially announce Mark Hughes as the new manager of Fulham. Hughes is the former manager of Manchester City. He was sacked by Manchester City on December 19,2009. He was replaced by current Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini.

I wanted to find out more about Hughes and his time as manager at Eastlands. So I asked someone that covers Manchester City on a regular basis to help me. Danny Pugsley of Bitter & Blue was nice enough to answer my questions regarding Mark Hughes. 

Danny is writer and editor of Bitter & Blue. This is a website for fans of Manchester City. If you are fan of this club this is the place for you. Danny has also contributed to many websites and other publications including The Observer, Yorkshire Evening Post, the BBC,and more. He also was a contributor to the World Cup coverage on Sbnation.com.           

Danny definitely is the right person to shed some light on the Mark Hughes era at Manchester City. I asked him a variety of questions regarding the former Manchester City manager. Below is my Q & A with Danny Pugsley of Bitter & Blue. 

Q: What were the thoughts when Mark Hughes was hired as Manchester City manager?

Feelings were very mixed. Some felt that his record in charge of Wales and Blackburn made him a good choice and that stepping up to a bigger job was a natural progression for a promising, young manager. Others, however, felt that his ties with United were not favourable and that he was a manager of limited means who had merely done well in helping average sides overachieve.

History will probably show him as being somewhere in the middle.

Q: What were his strengths as a manager while in charge at Eastlands?

Undoubtedly the fact that he rid the club of a laissez fair attitude and an 'anything goes' mentality that appeared to have been fostered under Sven-Goran Eriksson (ironic he was reportedly Hughes's main rival). He set in place a far greater work ethic and team ethos. This did of course alienate certain players (generally the more creative, mercurial elements) and I wonder if this is something he may struggle with at Fulham.

Amongst the big sums he did spend, he also picked up the likes of Zabaleta and Kompany for relatively small sums - I'd expect this scouting ability to be a benefit.

Q: What were his weaknesses as a manager?

His single-mindedness meant that the likes of Elano or Robinho felt marginalised and that there was no room for negotiation with Hughes. There were reports of him not being a great 'man-manager' and I can certainly see this being the case.

Maybe he will have learnt from this and not be as forthright as he has been at times.

Q: What style of play did Manchester City play under Mark Hughes?

We certainly didn't see the uncompromising style of his Blackburn side yet it wasn't free flowing exhibition stuff either. He favours the 4-4-2, but with the injury to Tevez and suspension to Adebayor he didn't manage to get them on the field together too often at the start of last season, so for the most part operated with the 4-5-1 (with Bellamy and Wright-Phillips supplementing the lone front man).

The side was certainly tough to beat last season before his sacking, yet there were undoubtedly games where the side lacked concentration and it cost them (and Hughes) dear.

He has enough 'footballers' at Fulham though to encourage them to play and I wouldn't be concerned that we are about to see Blackburn mk II.

Q: Did Manchester City fans think his sacking was justified?

In terms of the decision, even those who were in the pro-Hughes camp understood the justification, yet the manner of the sacking left a sour taste as Hughes was effectively a lame duck manager for his final game as the club allowed rumour to spread that he was facing the sack.

The club I think felt that 4th spot was very much attainable (due to Liverpool's slump) which it did not expect at the outset of the season, and the way some results had gone, believed Hughes would not be able to attain 4th. Of course, Mancini was also unable to achieve this but the unanimous feeling is it was the right move.

Q: What should Fulham fans expect with Mark Hughes as their manager?

He is a very ambitious manager, someone very sure of his ability and knows what he wants to achieve. I'm sure he felt he would be able to land a 'bigger' job after his sacking, but this could well be a good fit for him as it is not a rebuilding project but something with a lot of pieces in place.

His expectation would be to have them challenging for the European positions.

Q: Do you think he is right manager for Fulham?

Without knowing who the alternatives were I would say yes. He is able to get results and who knows, he may have . Fulham appear to have a great spirit and mentality generated over the past couple of seasons, and if he is sensible he will not try and change that too much.

Q: Are you concerned that Hughes will try to go after some Manchester City players?

No, although logic suggests he will. Bellamy and Santa Cruz would be the most likely given their history, but most City fans wouldn't be too displeased to see either leave, as despite Bellamy's excellent form he has perhaps peaked and there are players to replace him, whilst Santa Cruz has been a bust.

I would be interested to see if he went for the likes of Ireland/Richards/Onouha - all would be a good fit and in range of Fulham's budget.

Q: Will Manchester City fans be looking forward to playing Fulham this season? 

Fulham is always a great ground to visit - nice stadium, decent part of London and it will of course have some spice added to it now. I am interested in the reaction Hughes will get from City fans. He was probably the most divisive managerial figure there has been in recent times and I wonder how this will translate to the terraces in the two fixtures.

I want to thank again Danny Pugsley of Bitter & Blue for participating in this post about Mark Hughes. Please check out his site if you are interested in more information about Manchester City.

os5889

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/02/2053315/new-fulham-boss-mark-hughes-wants-reunion-with-manchester

New Fulham boss Mark Hughes wants reunion with Manchester City's Roque Santa Cruz - report

New Fulham manager Mark Hughes has made his first moves in the transfer market in his new role, as he tries to lure Manchester City's Roque Santa Cruz to Craven Cottage, according to The Guardian.

City have apparently been made aware of the approach, with negotiations expected to start shortly with Roberto Mancini willing to sell as he looks to reduce the numbers at Eastlands to fit the new 25 player rule and a deal would likely be worth less than half of the £18 million City paid for him.

Hughes initially brought the player to England when he was in charge of Blackburn Rovers, and again took him to Manchester City last summer. An impressive spell with Rovers failed to reappear in Manchester and has left the 28-year-old slip down the pecking order.

One stumbling point could be the Paraguayan's wages, which are rumoured to be around £90,000 - a salary that Fulham could not afford. Another being that Cruz's family are also settled up north, and with Stoke City also monitoring the situation and move to the Britannia Stadium could be considered more realistic.

os5889

Bolton eye Oldham prodigy

Bolton boss Owen Coyle is ready to sign top young striker Tom Eaves from Oldham - after he scored a hat-trick against him in a pre-season friendly.

The teenager came off the bench to nab three sharp goals against Wanderers last week and Coyle immediately began talks with Latics about taking him in a surprise £250,000 deal.

Eaves was left on the bench at the weekend to avoid injury before the move goes through - much to the disappointment of Sunderland, Blackpool and Fulham who sent their top scouts to see him play.

Eaves will be sold by the hard-up League One club but they may ask Bolton if the youngster can rejoin them on loan for the season.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Owen-Coyles-wants-Oldham-youngster-Tom-Eaves-who-scored-a-hat-trick-against-Bolton-in-pre-season-article543749.html

os5889

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/02/2053336/blackburn-rovers-bid-for-portsmouth-striker-john-utaka

Blackburn Rovers bid for Portsmouth striker John Utaka - report

Blackburn Rovers are understood to have made a bid for Portsmouth striker John Utaka, according to Sky Sports.

Rovers chairman John Williams revealed last week that the club had made a second offer for an unnamed player, after being rebuffed once, and the 28-year-old is the reported transfer target.

Bolton Wanderers, Sunderland and Fulham are also noted to be interested in the Nigerian and with Portsmouth still eager to cut costs a deal for the striker could be wrapped up soon.

Utaka joined Portsmouth in 2007 on the back of a succesful time at French club Rennes, but has since failed to replecate the same form and could be open to a switch of clubs.

os5889

http://www.sportsuntapped.com/sven-goran-eriksson-let-go-by-yet-another-team-111846/

Sven Goran Eriksson let go by yet another teamAdded August 2nd, 2010 by IanSOCCER

It appears there's no end to Sven-Goran Eriksson's greed. He announced on Aug. 2 that he's quitting as the manager of Ivory Coast's national team because they won't pay his wage demands. This is a typical money-hungry Eriksson move and he should be ashamed, but of course he's not, as he makes a living out of getting hired and fired and then collecting pay cheques from everybody who gets rid of him. This now includes England, Manchester City, Mexico, Notts County, and Ivory Coast in just the last few years.

Eriksson took over from Vahid Halilhodzic at Ivory Coast in March, and predictably didn't get them out of the first round of the World Cup in South Africa as Brazil and Portugal advanced from their group. Of course, Eriksson would have walked out on the African team a lot sooner if he could have somehow weaselled his way into the manager's job at Liverpool or Fulham this summer.

But it appears most English teams have now become wary of the Swede's modus operandi and have told him to get lost. This was especially the case at Fulham, as team owner Mohammed Al-Fayed said he didn't like the high-profile lifestyle Eriksson leads off the field.

Sory Diabate, Ivory Coast's president of the national team's committee stated that Eriksson won't be the team's manager anymore even though he was the country's first choice because financial conditions couldn't be met. Diabate then rejected suggestions that Eriksson had criticised the lack of ambition by the Ivorian Football Federation. Diabate said that Eriksson stated that he wanted to continue as manager, but said it wasn't possible.

But as usual, money appears to be everything when it comes to Eriksson as he seems to value it a hell of a lot more than football. Ivory Coast hopes to have a new manager in place when they take on Italy on Aug. 10 in London and Diabate said he has a few candidates in mind.

As for Eriksson, I'm sure he'll be sniffing around leagues all over the world in the next few weeks to see if anybody's daft enough to hire him.

os5889

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/41639/Hughes_ready_to_Roque_the_boat_down_by_the_Thames.aspx

Hughes ready to Roque the boat down by the Thames

New Fulham boss Mark Hughes is being tipped to sign Roque Santa Cruz for the third time in quick succession having brought the player to Blackburn Rovers from Bayern Munich in 2007 and subsequently taken him to Manchester City last term.
Expected to leave Eastlands this summer after a single injury-hit season, the Paraguayan is thought to be open to staying in England with Stoke City also keeping tabs on his contract situation. While a permanent move is possible it is believed that Manchester City would be open to loaning the player despite having paid £18 million only 12 months ago.
The 28-year-old, who featured at the World Cup in South Africa, could provide much needed support to Bobby Zamora with speculation mounting that Andy Johnson's current injury woe could see him initially left out of Fulham's registered 25 man squad until January.
The Europa League finalists have already snapped up Philippe Senderos on a free deal from Arsenal but will no doubt look to consolidate their new status in European football by snapping up further experienced operators.

os5889

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/03/2053625/mark-hughes-ready-to-begin-fulham-reign-with-move-for-barcelonas-

Mark Hughes ready to begin Fulham reign with move for Barcelona's Alexander Hleb - report

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is ready to make Alexander Hleb his first signing at Craven Cottage, according to the Daily Mirror.

Hughes is considering making a move for the former Arsenal man, who has fallen way down the pecking order at Spanish champions Barcelona.

The ex-Manchester City manager, who will be unveiled by Fulham on Tuesday, is keen to add quality to a squad that performed way above expectations last season, as Roy Hodgson led the Cottagers to the Europa League final in Hamburg.

Hleb would be viewed as a good piece of business for Hughes and it is understood that the club are looking at the possibility to take the versatile midfielder on a season long loan. 

Hleb moved to Arsenal from German side Stuttgart in 2005 for approximately £10 million and impressed for Arsene Wenger's side, adding even more technical ability and creative play to the Gunners line up.

After just two years at the Emirates, Hleb moved to the Nou Camp but has virtually seen his career hit a brick wall in Catalonia, with the likes of Messi, Pedro and Iniesta all standing in his way off attaining a first team place. Last season he spent much of the campaign on loan back at Stuttgart as he looked to get first-team football.

His future was made clear recently when he didn't even fly with the Barca squad on their pre- season tour off Valerenga. 

Hughes faces stiff competition for the player's signature though with his former side Stuttgart keen for him to make a return home, whilst Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa and West Ham United all interested in the Belarus international.

os5889

http://www.whydelilah.co.uk/news/03_Aug_2010/Lou+Macari-+Signing+Roque+would+be+no+Cruz+for+Stoke.html

Lou Macari: Signing Roque would be no Cruz for Stoke

STOKE fans should put their hands over their eyes every time they read stories like the one about Roque Santa Cruz possibly coming to the Britannia Stadium.

Certain newspapers have to fill their column inches, but I often think it's unfair on fans for them to read pie-in-the-sky stories.

Let's ignore the fact that Santa Cruz most probably is on something like £90,000-a-week, frightening as that may seem.

First of all, I'd have to ask myself if he really is a player capable of taking Stoke forward.

He did nothing in the World Cup and has done nothing in his first season at Manchester City.

Whether that's because of fitness problems, or because he just isn't up to it anymore, there's enough there to put me off.

And that's before you even widen your eyes and wonder how on earth a club like Stoke would get round those wages.

You can forget Man City doing you a massive favour by offering to pay a big portion for a start.

I understand a few Stoke fans are grumbling about the lack of signings so far, but it's a similar story elsewhere.

Even Manchester United have restricted themselves to the signing of Mexican striker Javier Hernandez so far this summer.

Mind you, having just returned from their tour of America, I have to say he could well be a great signing.

Tony Pulis has said he expects the majority of his business to be done towards the end of the summer transfer window.

One of the reasons for that is the sheer lack of money in the game right now.

So where's it all going if we're getting all this TV money pumped into the game? One word: Wages.

Some of the figures you hear are simply scary – just look at Santa Cruz – but at least City have a bottomless oil well to dip into.

Most other clubs don't have that luxury, and that obviously includes Stoke.

Tony and Peter Coates will be ducking and diving to try to get the proverbial right player at the right price.

But that's getting more and more difficult the higher you get in the game because Stoke are now competing against ever bigger and ever richer clubs.

Everyone is playing cat-and-mouse, waiting for someone to make the first move to free up a sluggish transfer market.

Perhaps the arrival of Roy Hodgson at Liverpool and Mark Hughes at Fulham will get things moving a little.

They will want to bring their own players in and move existing ones out.
But don't hold your breath on Fernando Torres turning up any day soon in these parts.

And I'm not sure Tony will be bringing Bobby Zamora to the Britannia at long last either.

os5889

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1280714.html

Star trio named in Socceroo squad

Australia have included 13 players from their 2010 FIFA World Cup™ squad in the 20-man group for the friendly against Slovenia in Ljubljana on 11 August. Galatasaray defender Lucas Neill will captain the side, with Fulham's Mark Schwarzer in goal and Everton midfielder Tim Cahill also involved despite the fact the match occurs just three days before the Premier League season kicks off.

Emerging Socceroos and former Adelaide team-mates Bruce Djite and Nathan Burns were also named in Han Berger's party for the Australians' first game since they went out in the group stages in South Africa, but there are no places for Harry Kewell, Vince Grella, Mark Bresciano, Brett Emerton or Josh Kennedy.

National Technical Director Berger said Football Federation Australia had discussed the Slovenia match with the likes of Kewell and Emerton and it was decided their interests would be better served staying with their clubs, but they will be available for the friendlies against Switzerland and Poland in September.

"A number of players are not currently available, we discussed this fixture with a number of players, and it was clear that it was important for them to consolidate their positions with their clubs, they missed part of the preparation because of the World Cup," said the Dutchman, who will stand in as coach for this match before the expected announcement of the permanent replacement for Pim Verbeek later this month. "It is also in our interest that these players will be playing on a regular basis for their clubs and they are available for the matches in September and after that."

Scott Chipperfield and Craig Moore have both retired from international football since the 2010 FIFA World Cup, while A-League players Jason Culina and Michael Beauchamp have also been left out with the local competition set to begin this week. There is no recall for Middlesbrough striker Scott McDonald, who surprisingly missed out on a trip to South Africa after being cut from the squad at the penultimate stage by Verbeek.

Australia squad
Goalkeepers: Adam Federici (Reading/England), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham/England)

Defenders: David Carney (FC Twente/Netherlands), Shane Lowry (Aston Villa/England), Mark Milligan (JEF United/Japan), Jon McKain (Al Nasr/Saudi Arabia), Lucas Neill (Galatasaray/Turkey), Jade North (Wellington Phoenix/New Zealand), Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow/Russia)

Midfielders: Tim Cahill (Everton/England), Richard Garcia (Hull City/England), James Holland (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Brett Holman (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Mile Jedinak (Genclerbirligi/Turkey), Tommy Oar (Utrecht/Netherlands), Carl Valeri (Sassuolo/Italy), Dario Vidosic (Nuremberg/Germany)

Forwards: Nathan Burns (AEK Athens/Greece), Bruce Djite (Genclerbirligi/Turkey), Nikita Rukavytsya (Hertha Berlin/Germany)

os5889

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/Hull-hold-talks-over-parachute.6453299.jp

Hull hold talks over parachute payments

HULL CITY were last night understood to be locked in talks with the Premier League to try and ensure the first instalment of the club's parachute payments will be paid as planned later this week.
The Tigers are due to receive around £9m this Friday with a further payment of around £8.5m set to follow midway through the season.

However, concerns have been raised in recent days that the Premier League may now withhold the money.

The YorADVERTISEMENT

kshire Post understands officials of the top flight are instead considering a plan to pay the cash direct to any clubs who City still owe in unpaid transfer fees.

Hull were anticipating this being the case with regards tothe outstanding monies owed to Stoke City and Fulham for the sale of Ibrahima Sonko, Seyi Olofinjana and Jimmy Bullard.

But what is believed to have taken the East Riding club by surprise is a suggestion from the Premier League that transfer fees owed to clubs from outside England may also be deducted from this Friday's payment.

If that proves to be the case, it would all but wipe out the £9m, a significant proportion of which City were hoping to be able to bank as part of the on-going battle to pay off their debts.

The £2.7m transfer of Kamel Ghilas from La Liga outfit Celta Vigo is one deal where money remains outstanding along with Jozy Altidore's loan move from Villareal and Steven Mouyokolo's £2.5m switch from Boulogne in France.

No-one from the club was available to comment last night, though it is not believed the Tigers are in imminent danger of being plunged into administration – and, therefore, incurring a 10-point penalty – if the entire sum is withheld.

The Yorkshire club, who are due to receive £48m over the next four years in parachute payments, also owe around £4m to the taxman. Talks are believed to be ongoing with the Inland Revenue to reschedule the payments, with the next instalment due at the end of this month.

Hull, whose players agreed a wage deferral earlier this summer, have raised around £7m in transfer fees this summer in selling Mouokolo and Stephen Hunt to Wolves, and Boaz Myhill to West Bromwich Albion.

The club's wage bill, which last season stood at £39m, has also been slashed by the departure of several other high-earners, including George Boateng, Bernard Mendy and Geovanni.