Main Menu

Just got "Let Go" from work

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, November 29, 2015, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: epsomraver on November 30, 2015, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 29, 2015, 11:36:02 PM
Ouch at nearly 66

I thought you said you ran your own business and employed people yourself?

I did, for 20 years before I came here
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Thamesbank

Sorry to hear that Roger, good luck on your new path.

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on November 30, 2015, 12:09:08 PM
Quote from: alfie on November 30, 2015, 11:52:11 AM
I got "let go" from Fulham, best thing that ever happened.

Your pot cleaning rate Alfie was below expectations ? :005:

Trouble was i could not find the pots to clean them, i did not know they had plants in them.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

fulhamben

Sorry to hear that Roger. Next time you are over and at the cottage I'm sure Danny will have arranged a meet and the beers will be on me.although I'm not gonna lie, I like to get smashed and on occasion have stayed in the pubs in Fulham rather than go to the match
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Oakeshott

"on occasion have stayed in the pubs in Fulham rather than go to the match"

With some of our performances this season that was the wise choice.

epsomraver

Vinnieffc

Sorry to hear that Roger. I took redundancy from a well paid IT job three years ago but had no luck as nobody wants a 50 year old engineer when they can pay peanuts to post.grads. Took me a while but got a new lease of life with 2 part time jobs as a home care worker and pet shop employee. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck mate.

sunburywhite

Good luck Roger

Sell up and travel the world
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

H4usuallysitting

Good Luck, hopefully there is a new venture around the corner

Barrett487

Sorry to hear your news Roger, good luck with finding something new.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Thanks to everyone for their support, suggestions and advice.
It means a lot and it's what makes this place so special.
It's an uphill struggle but those of you who have read some of the stuff
I've written will know I'm a positive person.

Funny how the rollercoaster goes, yesterday I received confirmation of
my UK pension and I've been 'awarded' the maximum which surprised me as
I spent so long out of the UK, but it turns out, long enough working there
I also got a nice lump sum back-dated to last January.
I'm starting to look into things :0)

Please, no begging posts or PM's I might need every penny of it.

Thanks again everyone
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

YankeeJim

Well Roger, happy for your good fortune. Perhaps you could go in with Khan and hire us a bloody manager.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

One Martin Thomas

There are a number of guys who were at work, retired at 65 and wished they'd left earlier.....  If you can afford to leave work, go and live life !!!  No one knows what's round the corner.

A new beginning / chapter.  Good luck !!

The Rock

Sorry Roger. I was fired in the financial crisis of 08 - it takes skill and luck now but you can do it if you are hungry enough. And even more luck, but still. When that happened to me, it put a lot of things in perspective for me. Most of us here will always be here. Go get em.

Beamer

Best advice I received on this was that at an advanced age the best chance of getting a new position is by your contact/friends list. Don't be afraid to get on the phone to all the contacts you have in your business life, call in favours etc. Plus send out CVs to anyone and everyone - don't listen to the people who say that it is better not to saturate the market with your CV, it is simply not true. The more relevant people who see your CV the more chance you have but phone/write to everyone you know in your industry as a priority.
Best of luck for a speedy return to the rat race if that is what you want/need, failing that it is a good time to take stock of your position and see what else life can offer.

win-dup

What a nightmare the work place is now. Friends tell me of having 12 hours shifts imposed on them. a senior journalist friend now has to carry out WI and flower show reporting (a job normally reserved for a trainee), in fact doing two jobs. No pay rises for several years, pension schemes scrapped for inferior schemes.

Normally slightly to the right of Genghis Khan, I wonder if it's not time for a labour government to redress the situation, though God help us not of the lunatic Corbyn/Livingstone/Abbot kind.

Good luck Roger.