https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (03/12/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 03, 2015, 07:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WHY NEVILLE WOULD BE A BAD CHOICE OF MANAGER FOR FULHAM

Appointing the England coach would be latest in line of Cottager risks

There was a big move in the market to become Fulham's next manager overnight, as the face of Sky Sports, Gary Neville, was dramatically cut to take over from the ousted Kit Symons at Craven Cottage.

The England coach is Ladbrokes' current second favourite at 5/1, just behind current Rangers supremo Mark Warburton.

Whether his leap up the betting – he was 8/1 yesterday – is a result of actual concrete interest from the Londoners or big money wagers, his appointment would be the latest in a line of risky moves by owner Shahid Khan.

There is little doubt that Neville knows football. He is an articulate and informative pundit and is clearly a highly valued coach among Roy Hodgson's backroom staff, but he doesn't have a jot of managerial experience.

In fact, two of Khan's last three appointments to the Fulham hotseat boasted a similarly bare managerial CV and the other, German Felix Magath, had never managed in England before.

All three of those managers were underwhelming. Rene Meulensteen and Magath both gained less than a point-per-game during their brief spells in charge, while Symons fared better, but only marginally at 1.33.

Yet it seems Khan has learned nothing about the dangers of hiring an inexperienced boss if the Neville rumours are true.

A quick scan down Ladbrokes' market throws up at least five names at various prices that would be better appointments than another untried coach.

The most obvious is Nigel Pearson at 9/1. He remains curiously unemployed following his heroics in saving Leicester from Premier League relegation last term and knows how to gain promotion to the top flight too.

Two far more ambitious jobless targets are David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers, 20/1 and 25/1 shots respectively, who would prove far harder to lure to the Championship. They both share the same profile as Neville in terms of celebrity status, but carry far greater experience.

Towards the bottom of the betting, priced at 40/1 and 50s, are Ian Holloway and Malky Mackay. Neither have been in managerial positions recently, but haven't been out of the game long enough to become archaic (like Alan Curbishley). They are also successful Championship managers with promotions to their names.

Surely any of that list would provide a steadier hand to the Cottagers than Gary Neville?

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/football/championship/why-neville-would-be-a-bad-choice-of-manager-for-fulham.html?

WhiteJC

Nottingham Forest Flashback

In our Flashback, relive the Whites' second-half rally which clinched a convincing win at the City Ground in September 2000.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/02/nottingham-forest-flashback?

WhiteJC

Gary Neville named new Valencia manager as Mark Warburton to Fulham links grow

THE ex-Man United star and England coach will take charge of the La Liga giants until the end of the season, leaving the Rangers manager as the favourite for the vacant post at Craven Cottage.

FORMER Manchester United star Gary Neville has been named new manager of Spanish La Liga side Valencia.

The Spanish club announced the surprise move this morning, with the pundit and England assistant taking charge until the end of the season.

Neville takes the reins from his brother Phil, who joined the club as a coach in July and was named caretaker manager earlier this week following previous boss Nuno's departure.

The 40-year-old had been heavily tipped to take over at Fulham and today's news further cements Rangers boss Mark Warburton's position as the frontrunner for the post at Craven Cottage.

The Englishman had a terse response to questions about his future last night, demanding 'respect' in the wake of his side's 4-0 win over Dumbarton at Ibrox.

"I can't answer questions, he replied. "I think I need some respect. I answered the question before.

"It's a disrespect to me, Rangers and Fulham, who I'm sure handle things in the right way.

Mark Warburton during his side's win over Dumbarton

"I'm Rangers manager, I've brought staff in and developed a squad here.

"I'm in the middle of 
a project so I think it's disrespectful.

"I can't keep answering the same question."

Valencia meanwhile hope that their new manager will close the gap on the La Liga frontrunners and take them through to the knock out stages of the UEFA Champions League.

The Spanish giants are currently eighth in the table, ten points behind Real Sociedad, but still in with a chance of qualifying from Champions League group H. They play Lyon on the final day of the season, looking for a home win and hoping that group leaders Zenit beat second placed Gent in Belgium.

Valencia president, Chan Lay Hoon said: "We are delighted to have been able to have Gary so quickly. He is a person who combines technical expertise as part of the coaching staff of the England team and a brilliant playing career at Manchester United and his team.

"Throughout his career, Gary has always shown a high level of leadership on and off the field. He is greatly respected in the English football and have been these qualities that have convinced us that it is the right choice to lead the team until the end of season. "

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-neville-named-new-valencia-6939625?

WhiteJC

Fulham on Rangers boss Mark Warbuton: We have NO interest in making him our next manager

THE English Championship club are on the lookout for a new boss but according to a club spokesman – it won't be Warbs.

FULHAM have today insisted they have "no interest" in making Mark Warburton their next manager.

The Rangers boss is the bookies' favourite to take over from Kit Symons, who was axed by the English Championship side last month.

Speculation grew further earlier this afternoon when the second favourite to succeed Symons – Gary Neville – landed the Valencia job, seemingly clearing the way for Warburton to return south.

But the Craven Cottage outfit are adamant they do not want the former Brentford boss.

Radio Station RockSport approached Fulham for a member of their club to go on and speak about Warburton.

But the Cottagers flatly refused, telling the station: "We are reluctant to provide a spokesperson from the club for RockSport's Talking Football Programme as we have no interest in Mark Warburton and do not wish to add to speculation."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-rangers-boss-mark-warbuton-6940638?

WhiteJC

Opposition View: Mark Crossley

Nottingham Forest hero Mark Crossley discusses playing under Brian Clough and the series of events that led to him joining Fulham, before turning his attention to Saturday's game at the City Ground.

Brian Clough was Forest manager when you first broke through – what was that like?

The way it happened was bizarre really. I was an apprentice at the time and I was living in digs that were actually joined onto the ground. We were playing Liverpool that evening, 7.45 kick-off, and during the day the first choice goalkeeper, Steve Sutton, had gone down with a severe virus. Second choice Hans Segers, who's been with Fulham, was out on loan, the third choice keeper was injured, and I was the next one in line. So Cloughie called my parents and told them, "Get yourselves down to the game tonight as Mark's playing, but don't tell him, I don't want him to know."

So at 5.30 I went down to the ground to do my apprenticeship duties, cleaning the corridors, making sure the players' boots were clean, things like that. Cloughie used to call me 'Barnsley' because that's where I was from, and at 7 o'clock he shouted down the corridor, "Barnsley, come and get your boots and your gloves on son, you're playing." The brilliance behind it was I didn't have time to get worked up, and we won the game 2-1. He actually took me into the referee's room after the game and stole the match ball off them for me! I've still got the ball to this day and it's signed by all the Liverpool and Forest players from that night. So that was my introduction to professional football, all thanks to Brian Clough. My wife and I have actually named him the Elvis Presley of football management, because he'll never die, everybody still talks about him to this day.

Having played almost 400 times for Forest, you must have a lot of affection for the club?

In all competitions I think it added up to about 393. I was there for 13 years but missed two seasons with back problems so you could say that would maybe add another 80 appearances. I had a testimonial close to the end and it's a club that's really close to my heart. They're still the first result I look for on a Saturday afternoon, just through habit.

And you played in the FA Cup Final for them at a young age, too?

I was only 21 but it wasn't like I was a rookie as I'd already played a number of games by then. We were a team renowned for getting to Wembley in Cup Finals. I only managed to play in one because of my age, but I was always involved and always on the team coach. I think we went to Wembley five times in three years, so we were quite a good cup team.

Fast-forward several years and tell us about the switch to Fulham.

Birmingham were trying to sign us from Middlesbrough to go as their number one goalkeeper, but couldn't agree a fee with Boro. So it fell through, which I was pretty annoyed about because I was number two behind Mark Schwarzer and thought it was time to move on as I'd done really well when I'd got in the team. Then bizarrely I got a phone call from Chris Coleman, who I knew well, and he asked if I was going to Birmingham. I wondered how he knew that and he said, "We've just had Steve Bruce on the phone wanting to take Maik Taylor because they can't agree a deal with Middlesbrough for you. Now, I owe it to Maik to let him go and be a number one. We've got Edwin van der Sar down here and it's likely that he might move on. Why don't I let Maik go to Birmingham and you come here, and we'll pay the fee to Boro?"

So that was it and in a few days it was done. I got on great with Edwin and it was a while before he moved on but I still got in the team, felt I did okay, but again I had back and hamstring trouble so I didn't play as many games as I'd have liked to. After that Chris pulled me in and said that because of my hamstring they'd have to bring in another goalkeeper, and that's when Antti Niemi arrived. So in that respect it went a little bit pear shaped, but as far as the place and the Club are concerned, I absolutely loved it – a brilliant few years I had there. That Newcastle fixture at St James' Park was probably the best game I've had in football. I had been a bit intimidated about moving to London, being a Northern boy, but I absolutely loved it.

Speaking of Chris Coleman, as a former Wales international you must be thrilled with their success?

It's amazing, it's brilliant. It was a really difficult job for Chris but what he's done is just amazing. It annoys me that a lot of people say it's all down to Gareth Bale – yeah he's a big part of it but what Chris has done with the rest of the team is fantastic, and it just shows what a good manager he is. I'm still in contact with him actually and was at his wedding just last year, and I'm pleased to see him doing so well.

Are there any Fulham players that you particularly enjoy watching at the moment?

Working in League One, I haven't seen too much of the Championship but I went to watch Fulham at Hull and I thought second half they were absolutely fantastic. First half it looked as though they could have got pummelled, but second half they came out and they were brilliant. I loved the new signing Tom Cairney, I thought he was class, especially when he moved into the centre – he was top drawer, a very exciting player. I've also followed the progress of Marcus Bettinelli as he was a young boy coming through the ranks when I was at Fulham. I know he's got a bad injury at the moment but I've kept an eye on him and I'm really impressed with the way he's progressed.

How do you see Saturday's game going?

I'm pleased to see Dougie Freedman's picked Nottingham Forest up a little bit. I played with him at Forest, so you like to see your mates doing well. They've had a couple of good results of late but I watched Fulham on telly against QPR so I know they're capable of producing great performances as well. I'll sit on the fence and go for a draw!

Tickets for the game are still available for supporters to buy.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/december/02/opposition-view?

WhiteJC

5 contenders to fill Fulham's vacant managerial role

Here in The Transfer Tavern we have been discussing who we view as the top five contenders for the vacant managers role at Fulham.

Fulham have been without a manager since the decision to relieve Kit Symons of his duties on the 8th November, almost a month ago, so the fans in the bar are desperate for someone to come and steer the ship imminently.

The club have been linked with numerous contenders for the job and with fans wanting a solution as to who the next manager of the club will be, the pressure is now building on the hierarchy at the club to hurry up and make an appointment.

Its fair to say that Fulham have not had the best of times since suffering relegation from the Premier League a couple of seasons ago despite significant big money signings and a core of good young players. Therefore, any incoming manager would have to be prepared to shake things up.

In the end, Fulham fans at the bar expressed they'd be happy with any of these five.

Mark Warburton
The former Brentford and current Rangers manager is currently the odds on favourite with the bookies.

The 53-year-old worked wonders at Brentford when installed as manager following Uwe Rosler's decision to take over at Wigan Athletic and, during his first season in charge, he led the club to promotion to the Championship from League One.

The following season was also a successful one for Warburton, he led the club to the playoffs where they were beaten over two legs by Middlesbrough. He was informed by the club that his services would no longer be required in the February and left the club after that play-off defeat.

Warburton took over at Rangers and led them to an unbeaten first 11 games of the season before losing 2-1 to Hibernian, but looks set to return the club to the Scottish Premier League.

Clarence Seedorf
The experienced Dutchman is looking for his second opportunity in football management, and could be the dark horse in the race to become the next manager at Craven Cottage.

The 39-year-old gained loads of experience during his time as a player, winning the Champions League and domestic honours with the likes of Ajax, Sampdoria, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, and AC Milan before finishing his playing days with Botafogo in Brazil.

He had a brief four month spell in charge at AC Milan that began in January 2014, before being replaced by Filipo Inzaghi.

Dick Advocaat
The experienced Dutch coach has been a surprising front runner for the vacant post for sometime.

The 68 year old has excellent CV and would bring the experience needed to steady the ship at Craven Cottage.

Advocate recently left Sunderland following in six months in charge at the club, and led them to surprise safety from the drop into the Championship last season.

A wealth of international and club experience would hopefully push the players on to better things and he would hopefully bring the best out of players who are underperforming at the moment for the club.

With the likes of Ajax and Holland on his CV you can see why the top brass at Craven Cottage could be interested in bringing him to the club.

Alan Curbishley
The current Fulham technical director is another contender who could decide to take the job on a full time basis.

Best known for his time in charge at Charlton with whom he led to the Premier League in a 15 year spell at The Valley, Curbishley was once tipped as a future England manager.

After leaving Charlton he moved on to West Ham United in what would turn out to be his last two years taking charge of a team as manager.

He joined Fulham as a technical director in December 2013 but was sack upon the appointment of Felix Magath the following February, though he was brought back to Fulham by previous manager Kit Symons in March 2015 and he could be persuaded back into taking the managers post.

Nigel Pearson
52-year-old Pearson is a manager who seems to be linked with every vacant manager role at present.

The reason for this is due to the success he had during his tenure at Leicester City, he led the club back to the Premier League as champions during season 2013/14.

Following what was a successful season last season for the club which saw them finish in 14th position, despite being bottom at Christmas, the club's owners decided to go in a different direction and relieve him of his duties during the summer.

Pearson has also managed Hull City and Southampton during his managerial career winning 175 games of his 405 games as the man in charge.

Read more at http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/uncategorised/5-contenders-to-fill-fulhams-vacant-managerial-role/#J1v8VsqM6Q1kPdX1.99

WhiteJC

Seedorf an option for Fulham

According to De Telegraaf, Clarence Seedorf is a serious candidate to become coach of English Championship side Fulham.

The 39-year-old has spoken recently about his openness to manage in England, having never spent a spell in the country as a player, and Seedorf is not fussed on whether that job comes in the Premier League or the Championship.

According to De Telegraaf, Seedorf is high on the wish list of Fulham director Michael Rigg, who has also identified Jaap Stam as a possible candidate. Seedorf has been out of work since being sacked as AC Milan coach last year, while Stam is currently a coach with Jong Ajax.

http://www.football-oranje.com/seedorf-an-option-for-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham's new manager search turns to Stuart Gray after failing to land other targets

Ex-Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday boss is available to start right away at Championship side who sacked Kit Symons almost a month ago

Gray heir: Will clubless Stuart step into Kit Symons' shoes at Craven Cottage?

Stuart Gray has emerged as a surprise contender to take over at Fulham.

Former Southampton boss Gray has been out of work since being sacked by the Cottagers' Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday in June to make way for Carlos Carvalhal.

Gray is well respected in the game and Fulham owner Shahid Khan has turned to him because he has been frustrated in landing the other names on his hit-list.

Reading manager Steve Clarke was ready to accept the role of succeeding Kit Symons, who was sacked on November 8, before pulling out at the 11th hour .

Scottish side Rangers' boss Mark Warburton, formerly of Fulham's London neighbours Brentford, has also distanced himself from the vacant post.

Khan is keen to make an appointment as soon as possible, and Gray is available.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulhams-new-manager-search-turns-6943762?