https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff 04.08.10

Started by os5889, August 04, 2010, 08:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hC2_LXBEGivQdoiQ5XyoK68xCKjQ

Hodgson tackles Al Fayed over 'walk out' claim

LIVERPOOL, England — Roy Hodgson has accused Mohamed Al Fayed of damaging their relationship after the Fulham owner hit out at Hodgson for quitting Craven Cottage to join Liverpool.
Hodgson has admitted he was disappointed to read his former chairman's comments in the wake of him leaving Fulham to succeed Rafael Benitez at Anfield.
Al Fayed, 77, accused Hodgson of letting the club down by walking out on them.
Hodgson, who helped established Fulham in the Premier League and led them to last season's Europa League final during his successful spell in charge at the London club, refused to let Al Fayed's criticism pass without a response when questioned on the subject.
Hodgson said: "They were part jovial I think. He (Al Fayed) didn't want me to leave and thought that's what I should do.
"But the chance to manage here was a bit special. I loved Fulham. My good fortune in leaving was that all the staff, players and chief executive understood the decision.
"I'm a bit disappointed that the excellent relationship I had with Mohamed has taken a bit of a knockback. It would have been nice had he said nice things about me, but I'll just have to take things on the chin."
Hodgson meanwhile admits he might be powerless to prevent Javier Mascherano from leaving if an acceptable bid comes in.
The Argentine captain is keen on a move to Inter Milan to be reunited with Benitez and Hodgson knows he faces a difficult task in keeping the midfield enforcer despite having managed to talk Fernando Torres into remaining at the club.
Mascherano's agent has flown to Italy to try and thrash out a deal with the European champions and Hodgson added: "In terms of Javier Mascherano, that will be more difficult.
"If a big offer comes in and it's a club he wants to go to then that will be harder (for us), but this hasn't happened yet and I continue to work with him and consider him a Liverpool player.
"If an offer comes in that meets our valuation and he wants to go, then maybe my powers of persuasion won't be as strong."
Hodgson is delighted Torres has pledged his future to the club ahead of the new season, despite strong speculation linking him with moves to Chelsea and Real Madrid.
But Hodgson did admit he never feared Torres, who is doubtful for the start of the new campaign, would turn his back on the club.
He said: "Of course I'm pleased. He's only been back a couple of days and needs to do a lot of work to recover from his holidays and the injury he picked up at World Cup.
"I'm still hopeful it won't be out of question to use him against Arsenal. I've got to say, ever since I took the job we were always confident he would stay and that there was nothing to worry about, that he would play for Liverpool.
"It's nice the speculation can now end once and for all and that he has made it absolutely clear how committed he is to this club.
"We believe he wasn't fully fit going into World Cup and that affected his performances. We want to make sure we prepare him right for the new season because it's not just about the first few games. But we don't want to look too far ahead."
Hodgson has promised to field his strongest possible side when Liverpool host Rabotnicki Skopje in the second leg of their Europa League, third round qualifying game at Anfield later Thursday.

os5889

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gGnU8FhNlXyaIdgG0uL_KfCKxxDw

Hughes vows to help Zamora

New Fulham boss Mark Hughes has vowed to help Bobby Zamora break into the England side as quickly as possible.
Zamora enjoyed arguably the finest season of his career last term and was linked with a call-up to Fabio Capello's provisional squad for this summer's World Cup. An Achilles injury ended any hope the 29-year-old had of forcing his way onto the plane for South Africa but the subsequent retirement of Emile Heskey has opened up one of England's striking berths for next week's friendly against Hungary.
Hughes, who was officially unveiled as Fulham manager on Tuesday after signing a two-year contract last week, said: "Let's hope so - it's down to Bobby. We'll give him every opportunity to show what he can do. If he plays well for Fulham then he may get recognition at international level."
Zamora scored 19 goals in all competitions last season, and Hughes challenged him to better that tally this term.
The former Manchester City boss said: "He had a great season.
"What Bobby needs to do is obviously build on that and become a consistent scorer for seasons to come.
"That's the demand that we will place on him.
"It can't be that you just have one standout season and you don't build on it.
"That wouldn't be acceptable for any player.
"Certainly, from our point of view, we will drive players on to achieve what they're capable of. Bobby is a player who can achieve as much as he wants."

os5889

http://www.fansfc.com/story/23292.html

Fulham ready to make Santa Cruz splash

Fulham Football Club manager Mark Hughes has, perhaps predictably, been linked with a big-money move for Roque Santa Cruz.

The Welsh coach first worked with the Paraguayan international at Blackburn Rovers, and he moved heaven and earth to lure him to Manchester City last summer.

Santa Cruz endured an injury-plagued season following his £17million move to Eastlands, and he is expected to leave the club in the coming weeks.

Reports suggest Hughes is hoping to sign the 28-year-old for a third time, and is prepared to pay around £8million to take him to Craven Cottage.

The South American isn't the only City player being linked with their former coach, as Craig Bellamy, Nedum Onuoha and Stephen Ireland are also reported targets.

os5889

Fulham - Hughes Aims High!

Speaking to the press at the news conference yesterday, confirming his appointment, Mark Hughes, to his credit, remained remarkably calm when pressed about his time at Manchester City.

At City, Mark was operating in an environment whereby cash was plentiful and players were signed whatever the cost. But, at Craven Cottage, Mark realises that things are slightly different and compared his forthcoming spell here with his spell at Blackburn whereby he spent prudently but also achieved a degree of success.

This is the gist of what he had to say,

"At Fulham it`s a different league in terms of what we can achieve."

"But whenever I`ve gone into a club, I`ve tried to overachieve, I don`t play down expectations like some managers do."

"Some downplay it and then get a pat on the back but I don`t. Fans need to feel they can achieve something."

"I`ll try to build on what`s been achieved here - it`s not as tough as managing City."

"Don`t forget I was in a similar role at Blackburn and the budgets I`ll be dealing with will be significantly lower than what I`ve had in the last couple of years."

But my spending record at Rovers will compare with anybody."

Two points we`d like to pick up. The first relates to overachieving. It`s an admirable attitude an done to be admired. We don`t want somebody in charge whose happy to finish mid table each season and if that they do finish slightly higher look like the cat that`s got the cream!

And secondly, his record at Rovers with regard to cash spent was very decent picking up players that have subsequently proved to be value for money or sold on at a profit.

Exciting and interesting times ahead!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=207417#ixzz0vekudQny

os5889

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/899454/Who-will-win-the-Premier-League-Golden-Boot-this-season.html

GOLDEN BOOT CONTENDERS

WITH the big kick off just a week away, the Sport of the World takes a look at the leading contenders for the Golden Boot.

Last year's winner, Didier Drogba, is the bookies' favourite to bag the award once again.

Arsenal's Robin van Persie will be looking to fire the Gunners to their first Premier League title since 2004, and, along with World Cup flops Fernando Torres and Wayne Rooney, is hotly tipped to give the Chelsea talisman a run for his money.

Darren Bent was last season's dark horse. Despite finding the net 24 times, the Sunderland striker was overlooked by Fabio Capello ahead of England's disastrous World Cup campaign.

Meanwhile, Bobby Zamora may prove a decent bet at 100/1. The Fulham hitman was on fire towards the back end of the season and could be a real steal if he can rekindle that rich vein of form.

Emmanuel Adebayor and Dimitar Berbatov have flopped in front of goal since their big-money moves. With a point to prove, the pair could be worth a punt at 33/1 and 50/1 respectively.

However, more often than not, a surprise package fires their way towards the top of the goals tally from under the radar . Remember Andrew Johnson in 2004-5 and Benny McCarthy in 2006-7? Who will be this year's shock goal-grabber?